Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Uh, I only associate that with Walmart. And/or Nazis. Or am I being redundant?

88 is one of the price codes for something discounted/discontinued. If something's priced 39.88 instead of .99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Does anyone do that beside Walmart, though? I freely admit it could be confirmation bias on my part, but I really do associate that pricing approach with them.

Costco does.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was already hinky about Costco seafood to the point I generally won't get it there. I probably wouldn't buy prepackaged octopus regardless, though. Because it's prepackaged, not because it's octopus, just to be clear.

Cooked tentacles like that are the way to go if you ever get some. Prepping a raw octopus is the worst.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

From what I’m reading Costco had a high-end knockoff that had mixed reviews on Reddit, some people felt it was an overpriced “Whole Foods” kinda version of Laoganma

That's probably Fly By Jing, which is indeed a weak spin on Laoganma.

If you want a big jar and you want the Chinese version, not the export version (the one labeled "chili crisp" is the export), this is what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WGQYMM6 The export version isn't bad, it's just different. There are many types of Laoganma, sadly most of them aren't available outside China but try all the ones you can find.

I doubt Costco has it but your local Chinese grocery may.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

redreader posted:

I've never encountered durian before but I thought it was supposed to smell bad but taste amazing? So why are so many people saying it tastes as bad as it smells?

Because taste and smell are inseparable and it does indeed taste like rotting garbage. Don't be fooled.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Went to costco yesterday and they didn't have any eggs. Not even a hole like they ran out. It felt ominous.

Don't go to the same costco as smash mouth

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Does he have any cauliflower specialization as well? Can he tell me why every loving cauliflower lately has black spots like these?

They're old and starting to oxidize. You can still eat it, it's not rotten or anything. Or just cut those bits off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pencilhands posted:

How does it work that places like costco and walmart can sell generic meds for like $10 without insurance while you go to somewhere like CVS and it's over $100?

Gigantic, insane profit markups. Those cheaper places just aren't gouging as much.

Most medicines are not expensive to manufacture, the US has the most absurdly inflated medicine prices in the world.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can't tell you the Costco recipe but Otafuku makes a good one. Decent chance Costco's is just that. I usually add some vinegar. If you have Bulldog sauce try mixing in a bit of sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, and vinegar and see how that strikes you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It's likely not since the ingredient list is pretty different from the Costco one.

I have no idea what the ingredient list is for Costco's. Was just a guess.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When did Costco start doing photo ID cards? The cashier hassled me about my non-photo one today.

My first Costco card was ten years ago and was supposed to have a photo, though I never got one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fly by jing is worse than angry lady laoganma fite me

Yeah the Fly by Jing stuff is weak. No heat and no MSG.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Laoganma is heavy on the onion light on the chili, I don't get it

The "chili crisp" is an export version and has a bunch of onion in it. The Chinese version is labeled "fried chili in oil" in English.

In either case it's not hot sauce. If you want something Chinese that's mostly just hot try duolajiao. Should be able to find the Tantan Xiang brand at any Chinese grocery.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Smugworth posted:

What a bunch of bullshit

For what it's worth I think I prefer the export version. The real problem is that in China there are like 20 kinds of laoganma and all of them are better than the basic rear end ones you can get in the US.

E: This is IMO the best one that is US available, the san ding: https://www.amazon.com/Laoganma-Lao-Gan-Ma-Sauces/dp/B087M9YW7G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Q6U4V5XVG90L

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 14, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bacardi isn't undrinkable but there's no reason to buy it. Plantation makes rums of similar styles that are much better and about the same price.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Do it. Have no shame

This. If it's unused and they'll take it, why not?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TrashMammal posted:

tonight’s costco experience. a dude at the urinal, one hand on his beef, the other swiping though tiktok with gleeful vigor :doggo:

so hot dog in one hand and phone in the other, peeing aimlessly?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pour a dog out for our Korean friends, I have heard credible reports that Korean Costco no longer has pizza.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Porfiriato posted:

This reminded me that there was, years ago, a goon in the China thread who copped to buying jugs of half and half and drinking them straight up as he wandered around Guangzhou or wherever he was.

Not jugs, little cartons.

People made jokes which sure, but I kinda got it. When I lived in Korea there were no limes, after a couple of years I found a lime for the first time and just straight up ate the whole thing and was happy as can be. I never saw half and half in China so I can imagine having the same reaction if that's a thing you were into and you finally found some.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Thank you. I had not considered this previously.
Does Costco in the US honor Canadian membership?

Membership is global.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pencilhands posted:

the soda isnt metric in england? OR the dog? wtf?

The UK uses both systems at random. This is more common than you might think, I've never been anywhere that is consistently metric and dropped all their traditional measurements.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Luckily I find all area measurements to make no intuitive sense so square feet, square meters, and pyeong are all equally meaningless.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Aren't speedometers exclusively in MPH too? For a vehicle that might, conceivably, drive in continental Europe?

Even cars in the US have both on them so that seems unlikely, I don't have any personal experience though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sounds like that might be a management decision. The Costco here has never moved stuff around significantly, I could navigate it with my eyes closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

digital penitence posted:

Wait, what’s this about bagged rotisserie chicken? I haven’t seen this at my Costco yet.

They're asking you to bag it up before you get into the rotisserie chicken now.