Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Choice quotes from the judge:

“That’s not the law.”

“Do you need some tissues?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
“This is the internet way back machine . A screenshot from it.”

gently caress. I love this trial.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BigglesSWE posted:

That was one of my favourite bits from an earlier deposition with Alex himself. Mark laid out some document citing it for some sort of evidence and Alex went “according to you!” And Mark immediately went “no Mr. Jones, according to YOU, InfoWars handed over this document to us, YOU deem it relevant”.

They literally just did this again with Daria. “Ms Karpova, your company gave us this video.”

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Tree Dude posted:

It's always jarring to see the juxtaposition of the court in casual mode on break vs formal mode when they are going. Even for this clown show.

This one is especially funny because in lots of trials, opposing counsels are friendly to each other during breaks or friendly to the judge. Even in the Rudy shitshow case in PA, they were still pretty friendly. But nobody has any interest in socializing with Jones attorneys at all.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Man, on of Jones’ attorneys is trying to hard to pretend he is somewhere else.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Robo Reagan posted:

if you're talking about the old man he's mentoring the guy who keeps objecting. it basically translates to you have someone who knows what theyre doing to tell you how to not gently caress up, but he seems to have checked out for some easy money

Yeah. He is checked the gently caress out at this point.

Oh man, lizard people even in their internal emails… gently caress they are really all crazy.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh my god. Defining a meme. I loving love this trial so much.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. The entire Republican party is InfoWars now. Which is bad for Alex since he's now redundant--Tucker Carlson does exactly the same stuff Alex does, but doesn't look like a complete nutcase in the process so it's easier to swallow.

Tucker realized a few things that Alex didn’t because Alex seems to be a true believer:

1) It’s easier to spread conspiracy theories if it’s just nebulous “them” or “globalists”, etc behind things than lizard people who turn frogs gay.

2) A unsurprising but disappointingly large number of white people will follow you and share KKK and Nazi ideals if you just find other words for all the concepts.

3) You have to make it look like a legit news broadcast for people to take it seriously.

By sharing the exact same stuff as Alex Jones but with more sanitized words, Tucker has made his followers into American Nazis without the label. Other groups like OANN have tried to capture the same audience but only get the most extreme fragment because they totally ignore point 2 and play loose with point 1.

Tucker is never going to be in the same spot as Alex is because he’s much more careful with his rhetoric and makes it as close to the line as possible without going over. This makes Tucker 100x as dangerous as someone like Alex because of his reach.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This is the most bizarre strategy. Just play rambling Jones clips to try and purge the jurors memory banks.And it’s not like these clips are particularly exonerating either.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Wait, are they really trying to give more detail to the conspiracy theories as a defense???

Like are they trying to say that Alex legitimately believed there was a government conspiracy (and wink wink, jurors, maybe there was) so they should take it easy on him?

Jesus Christ these people are stupid.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

mojo1701a posted:

And yet they haven't explained what a Prozac-head is.

Oh they did, that was one of the definitions they had Daria do before the video clip.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's already been determined that that was very not okay.

Since this trial is about the damages, what the defense seems to be arguing that the very bad things that Jones did were very normal and unexceptional. It was just an innocent mistake and they meant well, and there was nothing they could have really done to stop it because they were trying their best. Therefore, please don't make us pay the full 150 million.

Of course, if you're a thinking person, that sounds a lot like they have no remorse and will absolutely do it again.

I think the defense if very confused about what they are arguing. They contradict their own arguments and objections repeatedly. The best I can gather is that their argument is similar to what you say. Alex legitimately believed children died but that the government was involved and this was a conspiracy to disarm America. So everything he did was in pursuit of protecting rights and free speech. He may have minimized the deaths of the children and hurt the parents but it was unintentional on his crusade to save the country. So clearly, you should fine him the smallest amount.

Edit: the problem with all that being of course that the defense is not coherently arguing it and properly tailoring their evidence to the argument. They somehow think by showing whole shows or segments that they are making him seem more like a regular media personality when they should have focused the clips on him acknowledging children died and implying the government was responsible and it was up to the people to investigate.

Now that’s a bullshit argument but it’s at least a coherent argument.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh my god, these questions. Mark is grinning ear to ear.

Edit: “Do you believe this whole trial is a staged event?”

loving savage.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh my god, yessssss arguing about being a corporate rep again.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Robo Reagan posted:

lmao gottem on the neither

loving incredible.

“I will not say that.”

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
“Can you define that?”

“I believe you did that for us earlier.”

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Lol, asking him about being on the show during the trial shittalking the trial.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh gently caress.

They are calling out that every time Alex storms out he broadcasts.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Are we getting Boston Marathon conspiracy theories now?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Isn't that like basic prep for any witness ever?

Answer only the question you are asked in as few words as possible is preparing for trial 101. Answering a question that is bad for you with Yes/No or a very simple sentence is almost always better than rambling about it trying to justify it.

This is another area where the defense is really, really bad because even their rehearsed answers are too drat long. If Daria was a competent corporate representative almost all her answers would have been Yes/No/I do not know/I do not recall/Yes and (10 words or less).

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
LOL, he's just saying "I don't understand the question" on repeat to everything.

EDIT: LMAO "IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE TALKING IN RIDDLES."

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Playing this video after the last witness is loving amazing. We got hours of very detailed journalist ethics and practices and then get this loving clown who can't understand words and apparently does no fact checking.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hungry Computer posted:

In this case all the "creditors" are various other companies owned by Alex Jones and his parents.

Those will all get pierced easily. Corporate law 101. And even if one of them doesn’t, it will get put as a secondary creditor to the judgments. Unless you have true legitimate financing like a mortgage, you are gonna get pushed down the creditor line.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

spinst posted:

this witness rules

"Twitter is where, if the court will excuse my language, people go to shitpost"

Things I never thought I'd hear in a court of law.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Can’t wait for him to get asked about his videos this week talking about the trial and how he filed for bankruptcy to defraud the government.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Devor posted:

If for some reason Discovery is so bad for you that it's better to refuse to participate and get defaulted, I could see it

Edit: Usually you would be settling, but these are weird circumstances

Yeah, if FSS hypothetically had a bunch of evidence of way worse crimes that they though they could suppress by not willing participating in discovery and getting a default, maybe. In that case, settling would be the correct response in 99.9% of situations. I guess there could be some situation where they didn't want information to get out and were willing to roll the dice that a default judgment against them and subsequent damages would still be less than a settlement.

I don't think any of that calculus is present in this case though. Alex Jones is just a baby-man who has thrown multiple tantrums and thinks he's smarter than everyone else and will win with his shell games.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

LOL, the call out of him being a coward was so on the money earlier.

drat, I wish any of my clients could pretend to have medical issues so they could avoid testifying in person and having a jury watch them sweat.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Xakura posted:

When did you hold your son?

So there's one Jones fan on the jury, huh?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Alex is the one non-stop coughing. Lol if his medical condition is Long Covid.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
He's really going to loving do it. Jesus loving christ.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Yeah, this is the correct legal strategy. You do not have to cross examine every witness. You should only cross examine witnesses when it benefits you. If opposing counsel puts on a witness that is extremely harmful to your case and you have no legitimate way of challenging them, you loving ignore the witness and don't give them any more attention.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Nessus posted:

Then Alex Jones doesn't pay you because you weren't a fighter.

Well, no attorney that understands legal strategy would take him as a client either.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Youth Decay posted:

Are these the jury questions? They're trash.

It’s important to remember that most jurors end up being absolute idiots. Think about the baseline for most Americans as your starting point. Then realize you are in Texas. Many people who can self-select out of jury through various means. Then the vore dire process can thin other thinkers out of the herd as well.

You are usually left with some dumb motherfuckers that get all their news from red or blue cable and struggle to think critically. I’ve seen some real basic poo poo be too complex for lost jurors to understand.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Lolololol.

“Would you like to confer with your client? I think he wants you to say something else.”

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Digital Jedi posted:

Why does he want to play thr full clip?

Because he says I’m sorry in it and he’s hoping to taint the jury with it and pretend to apologize.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Oh gently caress, from the first sentence.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Lololololol, gently caress this is soooooo good.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The defense questions are just an appetizer for what is to come.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Has to pop his boner pills so he is full of male energy for his time on the stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
LOL, he is winding up for it all being an act. What a loving coward.

Edit: Wait, did he just flip to telling the truth? The gently caress?