Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Are all the ongoing campaign foundry modules as good as the Beginner's Box? Looking at this, there's like, 0 prep work needed to run this aside from making stairway connectors from scene to scene and reading ahead a little bit.

Very tempted to run Blood Lords if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harold Fjord posted:

They don't share MAP, except Summoner eidelon and mounts

Is there a good reference for companion rules? One of my players rolled up an inventor with two robot companions and this conversation became very relevant to me.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

Not sure how they have two robots, but in general, the Tl;dr for companions and summons is the player can give up one action on their turn to direct the companion to take two actions. They do not have their own initiative, and cannot act independently unless a specific feature says otherwise (a good example is a lot of the Mature Animal Companion upgrades allow them to move once undirected)

The net result is basically that if you have a companion or summon something, you get 4 actions, but the companion has to take two of them.

They doubled down on construct companions (they took the Prototype companion feat and had an Increased Size construct companion as their innovation).

By my understanding they can only have one out at a time, though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

So my understanding of animal/robot companions is this, then.

1) If a character has multiple sources of companions, only one can be active at a time
-Unless they're a beastmaster, then they can have two out at the same time.

2) They can only command one creature at a time, if more than one creature is out
-Innovator can spend up to two actions to give two/three actions to one companion
-Otherwise, a high level beastmaster can spend one action to give to multiple companions

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Alright, that clears things up for me. Thanks for the explanations, all!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Or go completely the other way, stop mid-fight, and be like "You feel new power welling up inside you", dramatic music plays, and then you blast the baddie with your new toy.

Live your inner Goku.

you have to blast this while it happens tho

e: my own perspective as a player, I like it when XP turns out in my favor and giving me a power boost when I need it. I know there are people who prefer immersion over mechanics though, so as always be sure to consult your players and see what they prefer.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 13, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

So I did run Pathfinder 2e Beginner Box on Foundry last week, and I have to say I love all of the QoL features it has.

The premade modules being so well made, journal entries being detailed and well constructed, and the nice benefit that is the automatic animations makes it so sleek and I feel like I can run a campaign with minimal (10 mins) prep work.

There's still a lot to learn re: the rules though. But it has been super fun so far!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

What are good item rewards for a construct inventor? I'm adjusting some of the loot tables/shops in Abomination Vaults to account for a Monk, Inventor, Swashbuckler, and Wizard, but I kind of have no idea what a pet class like that would want/use. Are there any specific items that Inventors want to keep a lookout for? Or are they good if they're able to keep a steady stream of gold flowing their way?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Megazver posted:

There are official adaptations of some of the Adventure Paths for Foundry, so you don't need to set those up yourself. Apparently they're pretty good.

Yeah, I can attest that the Abomination Vaults/Beginner Box ones are really good. If you purchase a foundry module you do get a copy of the accompanying PDF as well (or in Abom Vault's case, one big PDF that's a compilation of all three). There are currently modules for Abomination Vaults, Menace Under Otari, Outlaws of Alkenstar and Blood Lords. The main Foundry team is working on releasing Kingmaker and another team is working on releasing whatever adventure path is coming out next.

There's the Bestiary Token Pack that goes for about $60 and contains artwork for every creature in bestiary 1-3.

If you want to add some effects to your game, there's a patreon that you can subscribe to for $2/mo. If you get the "PF2e automated animations" module it will automatically link animations with attacks/weapons/spells so your players can see if they hit or miss. Some attacks (i.e. breath weapons on monsters) you'll need to hook up manually but it's easy enough to figure out.

There's also a variety of other PF2E modules you can get for foundy that make your life easier. Stairways/Monk's active tile triggers are both good if you want to link maps together. Drag Ruler integration is great for distances. Effect Description has been great for me as a newbie DM. Flat Check/Persistent Damage are also good for the automation side of things.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Is there proper foundry support for the redone Kingmaker?

In the works by the foundry staff, at the moment.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

M. Night Skymall posted:

I did the beginner box and then planned to weave AV and Trouble in Otari together, but in the end I think I cut some fights from the early AV floors, ran maybe 2 of the TiO scenes and then just ran AV because it's much better.

Yeah I think the TiO stuff is good if you want to give your players a break from the stuff happening in AV. AV is definitely better written as far as adventure paths go, but TiO is good from a "first adventure" standpoint.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Suzera posted:

You're still probably a demigod since there's not exactly an abundance of level 10-20 people in most settings, and you're still beating up demon generals or really old dragons that are potentially nation or world ending threats in-narrative. There's just not really any scry and fry or punpun level stuff that tends to derail campaigns or the power per level math. The system balance works across all classes all the way up to max level basically. You do get some cool feats like "you're so good at getting into places you can walk between the hairline mortar cracks in a brick wall" though. However you're not, by default, at the power level of directly beating up the Golarion deities themselves by PF2 level 20 in the Golarion setting.

So what you're saying is that the group should be level 30 if they want to kill Nhimbaloth.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Just curious what people think about handling purchasing gear in something like Abomination Vaults. The town is a 'level 4 settlement' and the adventure goes up through 10th level.

A) Do a lot of hand-adjustment of loot so everything they get is basically usable as-is. Which is convenient if a little unrealistic/suspicious. But then again who cares.
B) Mail-order from Absalom, which is mentioned once in the adventure but presumably could be made a consistent thing.
C) Maybe someone from Absalom gets wind of all the treasures the party is pulling out and sets up temporary shop in town, especially after B happens a couple times.
D) Crafting, not sure how much the party is interested in this, or any idea which of the many crafting rules I'd want to use. The town would still have trouble realistically buying crap the party is trying to sell at a certain point, too.

Any other good options I'm missing?

Currently in my game, I have three different things going.
1) I allow players to invest in different shops to improve their stock/inventory. So while shops start at level 4, if they invest X amount of gold they can level it up.
2) Most mail order by absalom stuff I have via questgivers. Either they know a guy who can get you a higher level item or they're rich enough to send a courier to buy one.
3) There's a crafter in the party who can make unique magical items during downtime.

That being said, I don't think it's something that's too big of an issue (Abomination Vaults book 3 spoilers) Reading ahead, it looks like there's a Drow outpost on level 8 that they can purchase better items from. If you didn't want the town to be too much of a mechanic you can just let them purchase the better goods from there.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

3 Action Economist posted:

I think the benefit of the secret roll, at least for RK, is that the player won't know whether they succeeded or not, they'll just get information. And maybe that info is right, but maybe it's wrong. Just like a real person.

If they roll it themselves, and get a poo poo roll, they're going to doubt that info.

If I find players doubting successes a lot more than they do their failures, I switch them to be out in the open and trust them on how their characters act. But overall if I want a setting to feel more dangerous I use more secret rolls than not.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Yesterday my abomination vaults game ran into the floor 4 superboss The Voidglutton. God drat that thing does not gently caress around.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

I have a question for Abomination Vaults, but I kind of want it to be spoiler-free, so please don't spoil anything beyond what I write here:

We found a treasure map in the Kobold/Xulgoth/Green Dragon cavern, which apparently leads us to a back door into a lower floor of the multi-level dungeon. We offed a ghoul librarian there (at cost of a lot of hit points and spell slots), and our GM heavily implied that our level 2 selves are VERY underleveled for that part of the dungeon. We ended up long resting and are currently side-tracking ourselves with Founders' Day and the tarot reading lighthouse hook from the teferi-elf Wrin.

My question is this: why did the writers include this treasure map/secret door to a lower level of the dungeon. Is it just to give GMs a chance to TPK? It seems really bad. I'm probably over-reacting, but I'm a little pissed that we can't dig into that undead floor of the dungeon right away. Is it something where we can just tuck the secret door in our back pocket and come back later? I don't know, feeling a little cheated and railroaded by metagame knowledge because the rest of the group doesn't want to continue with that floor since the GM said we are too weak for it.

If the answer is "it's actually not bad, you'll find out why" I'll accept that, I guess. I guess I just want to know if that's the case without digging into the book myself and spoiling everything. Sorry if this is kind of a dumb question. This is my first PF (2e or otherwise) campaign, but on its surface this seems like bad dungeon design.

The dungeon has several different entrances to different levels, and that's the one I think they included to tie the beginner box into the module. Overall it can be a little rude because it can lead to some tough customers depending on which direction you go.

The Ghoul Librarian that you fought - was that the very first person you met? Or was it a little ways into the dungeon?

My group had a similar experience with this but things ended up going pretty okay for them.

e:

Harold Fjord posted:

It sounds like a straight up shortcut to current content as you see in games like Dark Souls. So you don't have to walk through the whole dungeon when you are ready to unload gear. When appropriately leveled there may other advantages like sneaking up in a boss or getting an upgrade first

I wouldn't expect anything bad to happen if you ignore it for a while.

There's probably better ways to let you know your underleveled. Like having you fight a single level 4/5 monster then seeding three in the next room after. But you'd have figured it out eventually.

(Full module spoilers) It does do this. There's a Gibbering Mouther in one direction that the passage leads which is a pretty rough fight for a party of level 2s. The other route that they can go leads to a friendly-ish ghoul (who Finster might have fought), buy beyond that are some pretty mean haunts and creatures that won't hesitate to wreck the players. The ghoul does have a staircase leading up to level 2 though if players want to use that to get to a more level appropriate area.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 5, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

it's a pretty reasonable dungeon and/or dragon, though my friends are attaching a little more to the Advanced 5e thing that just came out in comparison because it's willing to kill a couple more sacred cows. I personally prefer PF2's action system and how Paizo's loads of premade 1-20 modules are almost a selling point in themselves

That's pretty much the clencher for me. I'm always going to want to run their premades because their premades so far have been really good.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

This has probably been asked a million times before, but, what's a good adventure path for an inexperienced DM who is bad at it? Like, what's newbie friendly?

The last time I tried running anything, it was Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, and gods, I was not good at that.

Beginner Box is a great starting point, which can lead into Troubles in Otari (low level hijinks in the same town) or Abomination Vaults (dungeon crawl that goes from level 1-10, not needed to run beginner box beforehand). I started running PF2e with these two and they have been very solid so far.

Beginner Box and Abomination Vaults have premade foundry modules that you can buy and have basically everything setup for you beforehand.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Having to disguise yourself and having RP repercussions for your character choices is significantly more interesting than sleepwalking through a campaign because no one in the party interfaces with the cool poo poo that was signposted in the character creation guide.

Yeah, it's fun when the campaign is designed around you navigating that social situation and accounting for it vs playing a cleric of desna/pharasma in blood lords or something where it very much wasn't intended for that.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

5-Headed Snake God posted:

A bit late, but regarding the "recommended" elements in the player's guides. Sometimes they're just there for thematic flavor and nothing else. I'm enjoying Blood Lords, but almost every single spell I get as an undead bloodline sorcerer is essentially worthless. Harm and Grasping Grave are basically the only two I ever use. Is it appropriate for the campaign? Hell yeah. But boy did it turn out to be an awful recommendation.

lol, i'm in a blood lords campaign as a cleric of urgathoa and i know that pain- the only person i can heal in my party with my harm fonts is a dhampir sorcerer.

kind of think it might have been better to roll a bard.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Bards are one of the best classes in the game so probably.

One of these days I will finally make my skeleton / aasimar / bard and unleash trumpeter on an unsuspecting group.

But knowing that things get better for negative energy healing i'll stick with this guy until he ends up in the fertilizer business.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Yeah, who knows if it's going to have the same vein of madness that kingmaker/WotR had. But it would still be exciting as a PF2E video game proof of concept.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah, like, doing Vaults as a classic dungeon crawl diablo-like, with the various iconics as playables, is a legitimately neat and cool and good idea that can work very well.

But, goddamn it I want my Pf2e videogame to do tactics simulator and charop shenanigans in!!!!

That's pretty much how I feel about it right now. AV definitely has some diablo influences so it makes sense to make a diablo-like based on the module and it could end up being a pretty good game.

I would still vastly prefer a game that embraces PF2E's core design though.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

boxen posted:

The groups I've played on Foundry with have all really liked having 3D dice you can see roll across the table, I think the one we've used is "Dice So Nice". People can customize their dice (handy when everyone is rolling dice at the same time), and it just seems more satisfying to see something roll vs just having the number pop up. My current GM temporarily disabled the add-on for a session while trying to figure out some issue, and everyone missed having it.

Doesn't really make anyone's life easier, but it's fun.

you can also add custom animations + sound effects to play on natural roll numbers, so if you wanted thomas the tank engine yolo itself at the screen when you roll a natural 1/20 you can do that out of the box.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

In news I am happy about. Kingmaker is nearly ready for Foundry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEV5ktd5ojE

Pretty hyped for this! Their abomination vaults module was so well made and requires very little prep work to run. Hoping Kingmaker will be of a similar level of quality.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

What are some free dedications that go well with a casting focused cloistered cleric? I currently have Medic as a way to still put out massive healing without touching my harm fonts, but i'm wondering what I should do when I hit level 6/8; currently i'm thinking Undead Master or Time Mage, but the former i'm not sure how useful my zombie buddy will be and the latter i'm worried that I just won't have the spell slots available for any of those good time spells (although, I think our group doesn't have a source of haste available. Not sure)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Piell posted:

Sentinel for armor is always an option

Honestly pretty tempting considering my character has very low AC and not enough STR to get a champion of Urgathoa dedication. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jarvisi posted:

Have you considered chronoskimmer for dumb bullshit whenever you roll initiative or fail a skill check?

I've strayed away from looking at anything beyond Uncommon for archetypes because I feel like they're very campaign specific, but i'll definitely take a look at it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Any recommendations for gear/runes for a harm-focused cloistered cleric?

We're playing Blood Lords, so I think a Staff of Healing is out of the question (which makes like, 90% of threads on this topic moot), but other items are probably okay if they don't use positive energy.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Weapon sizes and restrictions on small PCs are a classic example of rules as a way to preserve verisimilitude being at odds with player empowerment. One the one hand, yes, it makes sense logically that smaller races would wield smaller weapons and that the rules should reflect that.

On the other hand, halflings with 18 Strength wielding great swords is awesome and the rules shouldn't disincentivise things that are awesome

It would be rad if there was an archetype dedicated to wielding weapons that are one or two size categories larger than what you can normally wield. Let a dedicated player wield that fire giant's sword.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

My current AV group:

Catfolk Wizard
Fetchling Fighter
Ratfolk Swashbuckler
Human Cleric
Automaton Inventor

There's also a Kingmaker group in the works, but i've only seen two character sheets for that so far.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For folks that use Foundry VTT for running PF2e, mind posting your mod list? Moving from 5e to PF2e and trying to figure out which of the 70 mods I have installed I can remove.

Here's what I got for my Abomination Vaults game

Foundry System-Agnostic Modules
Award XP (Very useful to make sure that everyone is on the same XP count)
Combat Carousel (It's a little bar on the top of the screen that shows the initiative order of the current encounter)
Dice So Nice!
Dice Tray
Drag Ruler
Health Estimate (Lets players see if a creature is uninjured/injured/badly injured/near death on mouseover)
Forien's Quest Log (Gives players a journal that keeps track of their current quests and objectives, as well as rewards for said quests)
Pings
Popout! (Great QoL for letting users pop out windows of their browser. Has some interference with the PF2E module where toggles on the character sheet don't activate)
Smalltime
Stairways (Teleporter) - I go back and forth on if I really need this one. It's great for making the maps feel connected but in practice it's more cumbersome than me just moving players to the respective location on the map.

System Specific Modules/Modules compatible with PF2E
PF2E automated animations (requires JB2A patreon pack which you can get for like, $3. Adds a lot of life to the game when someone gets a crit)
Item Piles - Has some interference with the default PF2E treasure interface, but lets players trade with each other and lets me create shopkeeper interfaces that the players can interact with.
Polyglot - Lets you set scripts/fronts for different languages and type in a language.
PF2E Companion Compendia: Useful for Familiars and other companions.
PF2E Effect Description: Gives you an idea of what an effect does on mouseover, lets you interact with an effect to learn more.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are they playing the new dwarf themed adventure?

If not, that sounds like a perfect group for the new Highhelm AP

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

two gunslingers square off, 25 ft from each other...

first action...I step back to avoid the -2 accuracy penalty for being "too close"

second action..

Pistol duelists realized this was unfair to the person who won initiative, which is why both participants now walk 10 paces before the duel starts.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

boy how about that Kineticist huh what a real cool class can't wait to play one

I was thinking I'd want to be a dwarf fire + metal kineticist, really lean into being a living forge of a person.

Their gencon keynote said that they're going to announce two new classes in september, so it should be pretty exciting to see what they have slated for the future.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

gurragadon posted:

Thats a pretty big cost, probably gonna have to split that one up between the group when we go back to kingmaker. If it's the quality of the Abomination Vaults module I'm using than it's worth it IMO. If you already have the pdf than its $70 but I don't think there's a discount if you own a physical copy of the kingmaker AP.

It was $50 with early adoption, pretty good deal if you have the pdf.

About 1 gig in size for anyone curious about size.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Battle Medicine doesn't technically say that you need to target a living creature, but I'd file it under "come on, man, you know what they're driving at. Just take Stitch Flesh. Don't be like that"

I believe RAW that Stitch Flesh doesn't actually apply to Battle Medicine because it is supposed to be a distinct entity from treat wounds (as they are both on separate cooldowns). I think the same goes for Risky Surgery as a feat as well.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

I think that battle medicine is just letting you do your existing Treat Wounds. It doesn't even define it's own dice.

They might need a phrasing pass though, RAW

:yeah:

That's how I like to run it, anyways.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

My personal opinion; I get that precision damage is supposed to be something like managing to stab something vital like a kidney and that's where the logic of stuff without vital organs being immune comes from, but I don't see why a construct couldn't have a fantasy-hydraulic hose or something to stab extra good and precisely, or you stab a slime and manage to scoop out a bit of its mass for precision damage to apply.

Yeah, IME it feels like an immunity that's in place for flavor reasons but has pretty negative gameplay effects for some classes.

I'd honestly kind of prefer it if they revamped a lot of creatures to undo precision immunity, or have it be removeable by achieving some other effect first.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah losing precision damage doesn't "make you normal", having it does

This is more or less where i'm at w.r.t Investigator, Swashbuckler, and Rogue. I think if skills were more fleshed out with in-combat options as an alternative I would be more okay with precision damage immunity, because then you'd have plenty of other things that you can do when you're fighting against a creature immune to your sneak attack/stratagems/finishers. Currently the skill selection is alright but there's still going to be instances where the bluff/intimidate/diplomacy guy is going to be up against something that's immune to both mental and sneak attack and feel absolutely useless for a fight (maybe they'll do a recall knowledge round 1 but RAW that's only one action and might end up being actively harmful to the group). Other martial classes don't run into this issue nearly as often and spellcasters only run into this issue very seldomly (golems, but even those have a workaround).

Precision Damage Immunity was so frequent in abomination vaults that my swashbuckler ended up reclassing into bard and having a much better time. Granted they weren't the most optimized character, scoring a critical finisher on a ghost and having it do two total damage killed all enthusiasm they had for the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

SkySteak posted:

As someone coming from a 5e conception of class balance and roles, how is Bard in 2E? Earlier in the thread I saw someone mention that they're actually practically the same in terms of playstyle/general role as their 5e counterparts, is that true? Do they still keep strong in combat and out of combat utility?

bards are loving incredible and my group would have had an almost full TPK last session were it not for counter-performance. (Abom Vaults level 9) That Cauthooj is rude as heck

Apart from that they have good buffs and debuffs in combat, and the occult spell list gives them some pretty dang good out-of-combat utility as well.