Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Here's the "PF2 intro for 5e players" I posted last thread:

Has anyone got something like this for PF1 players? I did try building a character for PF2 and I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I never played PF2, but if you explain what you're looking to build (less in a "Here's my PF1 build" and more a "Here's the role and style of what I want"), I'd be glad to take a look.

Ah not a huge deal. I was trying to make a weapon-using monk and it seemed to really discourage that.

I'm really more interested int he difference in gameplay overall. My current group is doing Starfinder which is definitely halfway between the two.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My group is going to try out a PF2 game (we're running Trouble in Otari) but something about creating a character higher than level 1 has me a little stumped. This whole 'permanent item' concept doesn't feel very well explained on the wiki, so it'd be great if someone could explain what it means when you're starting at level 2 with a "Level 1 Item" and 20-odd GP.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

An item is anything that's not a one-time use consumable, like a potion or an elixir. This is one of those cases where it's much easier to suss this out looking at the printed rulebook since it's got nice tables breaking down consumable versus permanent items by level.

Finally got back to my books to look at this stuff, and it looks like I'd be better off taking the lump sum and buying scrolls since I'm playing a Sorcerer? I certainly don't need half plate or an everburning torch after all.

There doesn't seem to be much data around on what equipment is useful for what yet that I can find and it's a bit vexing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't know what level you are but spellcasters really want a magical staff and a Shadow Signet.

Yeah, it's level 2 to start, so its a single level 1 item. So it really only benefits martials or people who can't see in darkness to take an item over the gold. I filtered the AoN equipment list and there's a lot of neat circumstantial items, but nothing of much use for a Sorcerer at that level.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

sugar free jazz posted:

what exactly is happening in this stat block

https://2e.aonprd.com/Monsters.aspx?ID=827

does the tick swarm really use Cling and deal 1d6 damage to itself every time it uses a damaging action

does it only use Cling once a turn when it has a reaction and then it just.....doesn't have a reaction anymore?

I'm very confused

I think the idea is that several ticks cling to the creature as it moves away, leaving the swarm with the target and thus weakening the overall swarm.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Serf posted:

Divine Lance was one of the things that made me go with eliminating alignment entirely. Too much to keep track of, and overall just a stale holdover from D&D that should be excised.

Yeah that was awful for my Cleric until she picked up the Druid Archetype, her deity is True Neutral so she can't even USE Divine lance, despite her own alignment being NG.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kvantum posted:

That's part of the fun of Pathbuilder. Take whatever combo of ancestry, background, and class you want, and set them to level 20 and see what chaos you can unleash into the universe.

And then you start making them with Free Archetype and the madness really begins.

Free Archetype is probably the most brilliant optional rule I've ever seen.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Any suggestions for a free archetype selection for a dwarf dweeb thaumaturge using a lantern who's ranged focused? Friend is doing AV and that's what I have so far.

Can't go wrong with Sorcerer for more options. Early on you'd want to grab the bloodline focus spells, so pick a good bloodline. After a few levels you start picking up the full-on spellcasting for the extra utility.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for sharing this, very interesting stuff.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

How do y'all run downtime? If a player wants to shop to buy something mundane and easily accessible like a dagger, do you make that their downtime activity for the week? What if it's something rarer?

I imagine anything labelled Common could be done without downtime. Uncommon might take downtime depending on the size of the settlement, and Rare would almost certainly take downtime. At least that's how I would run it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Another question about Panache. The "wit" style swashbuckler gains panache when a bon mot succeeds. The swashbuckler at my table noticed that the effect of a bon mot can finish early if your target succeeds with a retort. The player asked whether in that circumstance he would lose panache.

My read is no, as it doesn't say in the rules that he would, but I thought I'd check and make sure I'm reading it right.

I'd agree. It's like a spell that has an ongoing effect with subsequent saves. The spell still succeeded, they just didn't suffer the full duration.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 8, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

boxen posted:

I'm pretty sure Rasputin shows up in Golarion lore somehow, I know for a fact Baba Yaga shows up and is the same one from Earth.

Re: Occult spells, I agree that telekinetic projectile is a bit of an odd fit for occult stuff but I've always thought of it as THE SPIRITS getting mad and throwing poo poo around, poltergeist style. Its just an inaccurately named spell.

I think there's an AP where Baba Yaga sends oyur party to 'our' Earth where you fight Rasputin, save Anastasia and being her back to Golarion to become a ruler. Or something along those lines.

Golarion is very much a Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms mishmash and it's better for it sometimes.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My Kingmaker group is pretty great.

Kitsune Cleric.
Grippli Cleric.
Catfolk Monk.
Kobold Barbarian.
Skeleton Gunslinger.
Human Bard.
Gnome Wizard.

Bigger than usual party, but our GM is used to it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Piell posted:

Reposting everything combined now that they are done explaining the classes and entering QA

Animist -wis-based divine full caster that bonds with an Apparition to get cross-domain spells/related abilities
-examples:one that gives Primal healing and plant spells, occult spells based around sneaking and darkness, primal power based on throwing fire and earth around
- inspired by 3.5's Binder,
- has 2 subclasses (aka Animistic Practices), Sage and Channeler
- base chassis is prepared, apparition spells are spontaneous and you get up to 4 by max level
- can rechoose apparations at the start of each day
- another Apparition is Witness of Ancient Battles which gives some fighting abilities
- Sage is dedicated to a single apparition and can get possessed by the apparition for more stuff, but is limited to a limited set of actions that the apparition can do
- Channeler is the other Animistic Practice focused on using multiple apparations and has a special ability to swap your main active apparitions as a 1-action ability
- mentioned feat that lets an apparition carry you around as a fly speed but you dont get its other bonuses while carrying you around
- other feats to let you sacrifice your apparition's bond for the day for a boost (quickened spell is the mentioned bonus, but as an example of a variety of feats to sacrifice your apparition)

Exemplar - Rare class
- has seized a bit of the divine, has a "Divine Spark" (got hit by a bit of god-stuff that fell from the sky when a god got ripped in half - one of the main 20 gods is getting killed for this)
- inspired by Hercules, Sun Wukong, Cu Chulainn, Maui
- supposed to be just as good unarmored and with simple weapons as with high quality stuff
- Can invest divine spark in one of three types of places called ikons at a time - body, weapon, or worn - and burn it as a Transcend action for a bonus and to move your divine spark into some other ikon
- Gain Epithets as you level
- Other epithets mentioned: Born of the Bones of the Earth, Restless as the Tide, Peerless Under Heaven, Teacher of Heroes
- Work with GM to have the epithets come up as something that happens in story that gives you the name
- the class is new as a thing on Golarion

These sound super cool.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

That + multiple experiences where every player wanted to be some ultra rare, lonely, brooding outsider made me develop the rule where first they have to prove they can work with the party/setting before they do something more wild. It works, even if most players when hearing that still default to Elf instead of the much more awesome Gnome/Goblin :negative:.

I can't stand Pathfinder goblins as portrayed myself.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lucas Archer posted:

That's all helpful, thanks! The campaign has begun with a vanishing persons mystery, so she's definitely been using her Pursue a Lead ability. She has the That's Odd feature from her methodology, but I kept forgetting it (as did she) as we were playing. I should put a little sticky note or something on each new room so I can remember to incorporate that.

She's already thinking about the multi-classing, so I'll suggest that she look into the classes that give her abilities to use when her Devise a Strategem roll is poo poo (and woof were they in our only combat - both times, she rolled less than 5). In our first campaign, she was a ranger that multied into bard to get Arcane Archer prestige and that seriously gimped her compared to the other two players, who were single class fighter and cleric. She does not want to be as behind this time around.

Giving everyone some access to Free Archetype can really help everyone shore up their weak points and provide good build variance. My current group has two Clerics and they're both very different thanks to choice of Deity and Free Archetype.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As a general comment on the kingdom building rules, remember that they're more of a pile of blocks for your players to play with that make them feel like they're doing city management than an actual city management system. If your players aren't interested in playing with it (or stop being as interested in it after a while), trim it back until you have the amount of stuff they want to interact with, because all it's good for is giving you ideas on what to do with the kingdom and making your players feel involved.

My groups biggest complaints with it was how it's basically impossible to do anything with your actions as a Kingdom official due to the high DCs early on, and that who you have in each position doesn't matter, because your character's abilities don't have any impact on the position at all.

Not to mention the ridiculously slow rate at which your Kingdom gains xp. I'm pretty sure I saw one of the designers say that it's probably better to just have the Kingdom level match the party level.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I know 1 or 2 people mentioned doing Kingmaker at some point recently- has anyone looked at the Pathfinder 2e and Kingmaker modules for roll20? I think there are some?

I know they just released one for Foundry, but I think the people I'd recruit for a game mostly use roll20 now and I don't necessarily want to ask them to change.

My group has been running Kingmaker on roll20 and its been...fine? No flashy effects or anything you get with foundry, but all the maps work well. Our GM has had a couple nitpicks about some of the NPCs missing statblocks but that's been it so far.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

"When you die, you're no longer doomed." always makes me laugh. :allears:

Given some of the stupid arguments people had about being dead in past editions, I'm not surprised they made it very clear there.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

We've had so many different encounters in Kingmaker because there's a kobold in our party.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

To really Tl;dr everyone else’s posts:

There are four rulebooks that you Should Not Buy at this point:
Core Rulebook
Game MasteryGuide
Advanced Player’s Guide
Bestiary

The first three of these books have had their contents updated and rearranged across the Player Core 1, GM Core and Player Core 2. The Bestiary is getting replaced by an updated Bestiary. PC1 and GMCore are out, PC2 and the Bestiary are due this summer.

If you happen to already own any of those four books, they are all still fine, but if you want to relate it to new material going forward you’re going to need to check out a bunch of errata over time etc.

Anything else, like Secrets of Magic, Dark Archive, Guns and Gears, any of the Lost Omens books, you can just freely grab right now and it’s all good.

Also of note, Rage of Elements already has a number of changes that made it into the remaster, so it's more readily compatible than those older books that still have some weird tags regarding say, spell mechanics and schools going on.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I'm going to be running the Kingmaker module updated for 2E. This is the first time I'll be DMing with an actual adventure path and I'm hoping to get everything setup in FoundryVTT since this will be an online game. Are there any good map packs out there that I could use for Foundry? I've got a web host set up and I'm going to be configuring everything from scratch since my last game was D&D 5E based.

Also, anything I should be especially aware of when running PF2E vs D&D 5E? I'm working my way through the core rulebook and trying to note differences, but I didn't know if there were any major gotchas I needed to watch out for.

More related to Kingmaker itself...but the actual rules for running your kingdom are atrocious and be prepared to rewrite or throw them out entirely. They were barely playtested by the devs' own admission.

Have a frank discussion with your players about the level of detail you want to have involved in the Kingdom turns and work things out from there.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Were these updated in the 2E revision? I'm assuming not, but that will be a topic of discussion for our session 0.

No, they really weren't. Looking at the base math, our group realized it would take in-game years to level up your Kingdom. Before we tried revising the rules we spent multiple turns barely able to do anything, even regularly failing the checks to help another player try to do something with their kingdom position.

It's real bad.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Sorry, kind of out of the loop. What is the Mythic book? like epic level stuff? Even though I've never gotten close to playing the "I" part of BECMI, I love having that stuff available, for some reason.

In PF1 Mythic was almost like an alternative level track that progressed alongside your own, dependent on plot events to increase your Mythic level. The abilities it had were very powerful and could be a lot of fun.

PF2 will probably be similar, likely packaged as archetype-like progression.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For classes that aren't getting a remaster, can you still play them as is or is there going to be some manual recalibration required?

In addition to the errata, they'll get a full rework in Player Core 2

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Raise shield is very good for a monk. Ours will commonly move, flurry of blows and raise shield.

It took that and seeing how the MAP worked to realize how it was intended to work, and it's pretty nice.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

We just had the most bizarre boss fight in Kingmaker, though half of it was RNG luck. We couldn't get half of our debuffs to land on the boss, but in return we literally did more damage to ourselves than the enemies did. Our monk grabbed the boss and jumped out a window to piledrive her into the ground, and the fall damage was the most damage anyone took. It was a comedy of errors, emphasis on the comedy.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Andrast posted:

Spells continue to be the worst balanced aspect of PF2. A ton of them are complete garbage and then you have a couple that are just way better than the alternatives.

The effectiveness difference between a caster that picks the mechanically strong spells compared to one who picks mostly bad/mediocre ones is massive.

Yeah I can see that. Loose Time's Arrow on round one from my Cleric (with Druid archetype) is a huge game changer. Whereas say, Lightning Bolt? Fun sure, but not nearly as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

I know we have siege weaponry but do we have guidelines for doing big battles?

There's some stuff for that in Kingmaker for 2e, but it's pretty intertwined with the Kingdom building aspects, so there's possibly some traction there.

More fey stuff would also be great.