Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Aurubin posted:

Well their economy is pretty screwed then!

I started laughing by the time Fujitora made the big rubble cloud. Poor Dressrosa doesn’t even have the wreckage of their lives to pick through now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

hatty posted:

its gonna look bad

Kung Fu Hustle worked.

But there’s so many ways this could go wrong, and there’s no way to keep it going too much further without Lord of the Rings money.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Siliziumleben posted:

he's also very handsome

My girlfriend had a crush on him and was very disappointed

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It’s going to be really weird to (maybe) get a new facial expression from Kizaru

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

do you think his shades will fall off when his eyeballs pop out? or will each pair of eyeballs have its own set of shades?

They’ll shatter the lenses, of course

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

im doing my first time watch rn, and I can't be the only one that thinks that Ace died like a bozo, right? Mans was home free and suicided for some schoolyard rear end taunts, I thought there was gonna be some real knife twist poo poo

Oh yeah, my partner was super invested in that plot, sobbing, coming up with theories in the middle of the night, the whole works. Then THAT happened, and:

:j: : “Oh. That was stupid.”

Edit: she also thought that Squard acted completely reasonably, and argued that Whitebeard was the villain for the rest of the arc.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 1, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

One Piece Odyssey is the first step in a long term plan by Oda to take control of the Dragon Quest Universe for revenge.

I’m just going to say it - Oda draws a better tongue than Toriyama.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Chopper got some extra forms

Kung Fu Point was a huge mistake, and a blatant commitment to not giving Chopper any more focus in combat

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Are all of the strawhats fun to use and have unique and worthwhile skills/moves?

Or is it like, just kill everything with luffy/zoro/sanji mindlessly

The way it plays so far (early on), I think the primary goal of system design was to ensure balanced character use. More often than not, even trash battles will go much faster with a few character swaps than if you’d just loaded atk onto your favorites and spammed strong attacks.

This game would benefit a bit from an in-combat enemy analyze, though - if I hadn’t lucked into finding out I could keep a certain mid-boss completely locked down with Robin and Chopper due to what I’m guessing was a status effect weakness, I’m not sure how I would have known.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Libra posted:

It'll be an ordinary bat zoan but it will give her vampire powers just because.

I mean.

Pasta Machine.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

what are the chances the elder star’s ancestors are from Saturn?

There’s four (non Earth) planet names left unused in the series, and four currently unnamed elders.

Edit: also I don’t think Saturn is his family name

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I haven’t watched other anime in years. Is the stretchy eye thing they’re doing lately in fashion in general or is that all One Piece?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’ve said it before - bad CGI didn’t ruin Kung Fu Hustle. One Piece would be grotesque if it were too realistic

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Fujitora’s situation, at least, I’d thought could be put down to him being a reckless gambler whose agenda depended on the Marines being unable to resolve the situation. So he just…didn’t resolve the situation.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Watch them unroll all of the flashbacks to get a series of Prestige Dramas that all end in Gum Gum.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

JahRoo posted:

Decent chance he’s a son or some other kind of relative. If not blood related he definitely seems to be leaning towards the Luffy to Rocks’ Roger type of inherited will.

Right, inherited will would explain why he’s so driven - something has to, Oda wouldn’t let this plot end without a tragic backstory flashback.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

No Wave posted:

Blackbeard is so reasonable/rational that I'm surprised he straight up killed the guy. I guess it was a tough fight or something and he didnt have a way around him.

That’s an excellent point, but given how easy it is to (accidentally!) steal a devil fruit once you get your hands on it, my bet is that Thatch was about to take a bite, and Blackbeard had no option but to shoot him.

Either that, or Thatch had already taken the bite.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

They definitely don’t know. The Celestial Dragons are the main people the Empty Throne thing is meant to deceive; the idea is that the 20 families are supposed to share power with each other.

That’s a weird irony, come to think of it. Imu being publicly revealed might cause some conflict among the Celestial Dragons. Anti-Imu CDs would still be enemies of the Revolutionaries and anyone else who doesn’t like tyranny, of course, but they might still cause problems for Imu.

The entire setup seems tailor-made to kill any ambition among the Celestial Dragons. Nothing to aspire to, nothing that ever needs to be worked for, not even any reason to be able to defend oneself competently.

My theory - And THAT’s why we’ve never seen them use devil fruits for themselves when they clearly have the means to obtain them - because in this setting, power derives from dreams, and theirs are purposefully stunted. And that’s also why Mjosgard is the only “normal” Celestial Dragon we’ve seen to use a melee weapon - because Otohime gave him a dream, and that gave him the literal strength to act for himself.

Corollary - guns are morally wrong in-setting and Lucky Roux using one is deep foreshadowing that the Red Hair pirates are villains. Garp is moral because he throws his cannonballs. Usopp no longer using the cannon is an act of character development. Lasers, obviously, do not count - or else Franky is a secret traitor.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 22, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Exactly!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Charlos pretty clearly dreams of enslaving a mermaid

And in normal circumstances, he would have achieved that twice over by now. It is, supposedly, deeply unusual for a Celestial Dragon to be denied like this (or assaulted, for that matter). See also: Kuma being rented out by the World Government. Possibly an established solution to there not being enough of something to satisfy all of the Celestial Dragons who desire it?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Marine Hunter Mihawk and World’s Strongest Swordsman Mihawk seem like not entirely unrelated titles. Maybe the Marines had a strong tradition of swordsmanship before he got to them? Who was the previous World’s Strongest Swordsman?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Seems like they’re leaning hard into the dystopian nature of the World Government for the show. Reasonable enough, no reason to slow-roll it this time.

Wonder what else will get an earlier introduction, now that Oda’s making his remix?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
E: dumb question

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Well, Mariejois is going to have to fall by the end of the story, and my bet is that it’s going to be collateral damage to someone like him. I do think Oda ended Wano the way he did seemingly to set precedent that “no really, magma is still threatening.”

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Did they borrow forwards the end of Drum Kingdom?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

It seems like she's part of the fight at the base judging trailer scenes. Also it looks like Arlong is at Buggy's circus in one scene. My guess is they're expanding Arlong to be more involved in the overall plot of East Blue.

I hope Oda enjoyed the process of retelling East Blue, that definitely seems a lot more like the sort of plot structure he’s favored for…everything after East Blue

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's also not really intended to be something you watch a hundred times on instant loop.

Then maybe they don’t know the One Piece audience as well as they think.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The strawhats are just practicing their offscreen skills for when they go against Blackbeard

This is all leading up to the final Void Arc, Oda’s plan for getting this all wrapped up in the next few years by shooting anyone who asks what happens.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Ok, something’s up with Saturn saying to spare Bonney for being “a little girl” just a page after drawing the Ohara parallel by ordering the refugee ship sunk. Deep cover agent?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Spoilers don’t matter during the actual watching, but they really screw with the pleasure of anticipating and theorizing in-between. These chats we have after each chapter wouldn’t really work if we knew the real answers for sure.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

I'm a bit baffled that there are actually people who are still fans of the One Piece anime at all, lol.

Some people like to watch Chopper scenes on loop for hours at a time.

Some people are the partners of those people.

Edit: she just about mutinied when I told her how long the Amazon Lily to Timeskip stretch was

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 3, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

I miss combo attacks.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

You mean the ones where you have single perspective point, limited animation and a slow, deliberate pace construction toward the punchline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRnGlsvGJYk

This is why I think this will get much more manageable once the budgets go back down.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

No Wave posted:

Say you were live action filming the scene where lucky roux shoots that guy. What would you have lucky roux eating given that anime meat isnt real? A turkey drumstick?

Beef shank, of course.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Gear 5 switches from cartoon to claymation powers

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I forget, is Chopper's bounty in the tens of thousands still?

Hasn’t quite gotten to ten thousand yet, no

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What’s wrong with his nose, more like? It should be blue!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Hancock is the real libertarian.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Luffy and Chopper ate a civilian house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
They might as well roll armament Haki in with advanced armament Haki, since advanced armament Haki ended up narratively redundant to advanced conqueror’s Haki.