Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tin Tim posted:

Hello is this the wizard poker therapy group?

Sloppy posted:

Not just Wizard Poker, BULLSHIT Wizard Poker

NOTE TO NEW AND RETURNING PLAYERS:
I'm not gonna write up a massive OP, just jump to the end of the thread and ask any and all questions. We're a generally friendly and helpful bunch. Sometimes there is some useful info below this.

11/11/2023:

bravesword posted:

Here’s your thrice-annual reminder to finish all your quests today and then not play again until Tuesday, after the expansion launches. This will give you a full suite of quests for the new reward track, allowing you to gain 15-20 levels right away.

Additionally, assuming you’re looking to maximize the number of cards you get from the new expansion, here’s your optimal pack-opening order:

1) Catch-up packs
2) Class packs
3) Golden Standard packs
4) Regular Standard packs
5) Golden Showdown in the Badlands packs
6) Regular Showdown in the Badlands packs
7) Claim any reward track prizes

01/06/2023:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since it's a new year, I feel the need to type up a new effortpost on how to spend less on this loving game courtesy of Google.

What you will need:
1. A Smartphone (Android or iPhone doesn't matter)
2. Access to *some* kind of Android device that can access the Play Store *and* preferably run Hearthstone (at least load it to the point of being able to navigate the menu/shop)
3. The Google Opinion Rewards app (available for Android and iPhone)

Step 1: Turn on Location Services on your phone. In order to earn credit, you have to let multinational conglomerates spy on where you've been. If that's a bridge too far for you, skip down to Step #3.

Step 2: Install Google Opinion Rewards. It's going to ask you some basic demographic information, like age and gender and languages spoken. Not that you should ever *lie* to a multinational conglomerate, but evidently claiming to be a woman will get you more surveys. Be sure you can also *speak* the languages you claim you're fluent in, because the surveys will occasionally test your proficiency with "what word doesn't belong in this group" types of tests.

What to expect: The surveys you will get will be tied to locations you've visited, or locations you might've just been close enough to that the app *thinks* you visited them. Occasionally it'll "test" you and throw five locations you were never even close to or don't even exist. If you bite on these, you risk being paid less or ultimately locked out of getting further surveys. Answering honestly will usually net you around ten to fifteen cents. Trust me, it adds up. The location surveys (that you complete) will also ask you to take a picture of any receipt(s) you got, so get into a habit of saving those as that can usually net you an extra 20-30 cents in exchange for giving Google more demographic data about you. :rolleyes:

You'll also occasionally get surveys about whether you'd be interested in a specific app. Try to answer something other than "3 out of 5" because it seems that earns you a consistent ten cents because it's indecisive. You'll also be queried about poo poo you might've browsed for, and these occasionally will have "fill in" sections. These are the "money" surveys and pretty consistently give fifty cents or more. You might be asking why you should care about ten-fifty cents, but it does add up. Over the course of a Hearthstone expansion release schedule, you can accrue ~$20-40 in Google Play credit, which is a healthy chunk out of an expansion pack. Now I'm going to tell you how you can save even more.

Step 3: Google Play Points. These are another way to stack savings. This is unfortunately where you need an Android device, again, one that preferably can at least load its way into the Hearthstone menu and navigate it without bursting into flames.

There are four levels of "status" with Google Play: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Once you get to Silver (at 100 points) you start earning weekly "awards" every Friday which can be "up to" 100 points. It's immaterial because hitting Gold (at 600 points) should be piss easy by March/April (when the next expansion should drop) if you're diligent. Gold should be your primary goal, as once you hit it, you're earning 20% more points per purchase (which, granted, isn't much given $10 would net you 12 points instead of 10 on Bronze and 11 on Silver). Given that the year JUST started, it's not out of the realm of possibility to get Platinum before the end of the year just through Opinion Rewards and Hearthstone purchases, but I've done it before.

The hardest part about these is just that, being diligent and patient. If you're not ultra-competitive, *don't* buy expansions and mini-sets as soon as you can. Why? Because every so often, usually once a month (and usually at the end of the month), Google Play will drop point modifiers for purchases, anywhere from 2-5x. Which means the upcoming $19.99 mini-set we all know is coming would net you anywhere from 40-100 points in a single purchase. They'll also have point multipliers on books every so often, so if you're a prolific reader, maybe buy during those bonuses. Every 100 points is redeemable for $1 in Play Credit. And it's pretty easy to find yourself with 1000 points to blow on an extra :10bux: off a Hearthstone expansion.

There are also occasionally "free points" in the form of installing an app on your device for 24h, and you find these at the very bottom of the "Special Earn Rates" list. They're serious about the full 24h, though - you never have to actually *open* the app, just keep it installed for 24h, and you get your free points. Every so often they'll drop *five* of these at once.

Between Google Opinion Rewards and only buying poo poo just for Hearthstone during point bonuses, I'm able to save up ~$50-60 in Play Credit between expansions.

NOTE: Every so often you'll see a "quest" with four steps that will promise a ~reward~ of "at least 100 points." Unless you're already planning on buying something, don't do it. I've done two of them now and the "reward" was a measly 100 points, which really sucks since you have to SPEND at least 100 points to *get* 100 points. You'll also occasionally get a "special" where if you spend $X usually two times, they'll give you bonuses, usually of a few hundred points. Again, it's your choice if you want to do that.

Also, the Opinion Rewards app *does* work outside of North America, I just don't know how lucrative it'd be. Every new update to it mentions new countries being added, but even then, you should still get the "browsing" and "rate this app" surveys. Again, it adds up, and even if you can only save up $10-20 (in your country's currency), it's not *your* money you're spending.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

:firstpost:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

When are we going to get a new Rager? I hope the min-set fixes this glaring omission from recent expansions.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

mcbexx posted:

This is clearly fake, since according to this elaborate photoshop, you have not drawn/played Guff before/on turn 5, which, in my experience facing druids, is downright impossible.

Yeah, I was for sure going to lose since I drew it so late, my only only hope was managing to yoink the Xyrella right after they completed the quest, but I managed to pull it off :toot:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

WHY HAS THERE BEEN ZERO GOOD TONK SUPPORT IN THE PAST FEW EXPANSIONS??? does blizz not care about me? :(

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DesertBus#1367 NA server add me!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

#PYFHSusername

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
DRSpaceman#1433 (Americas).

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
NA Caracas#11432.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

My babies:

### Tonk
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 1x (2) Feign Death
# 2x (2) Freezing Trap
# 2x (2) Ice Trap
# 2x (2) Pack Tactics
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 1x (3) Ursatron
# 2x (4) Monstrous Parrot
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Oblivitron
# 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
#
AAEBAePwBAbHD6CAA/GWA7acA4/OA+XvAwyAB5zNAvKWA5+lA/uvA6S5A4PiA8KABKuNBKmfBOOfBOSfBAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

### Sir Finley, Clown
# Class: Shaman
#
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 2x (1) Spawnpool Forager
# 2x (1) Toxfin
# 1x (1) Unite the Murlocs
# 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 1x (2) Firemancer Flurgl
# 2x (2) Underbelly Angler
# 2x (3) Clownfish
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Nofin Can Stop Us
# 2x (4) Murlocula
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
# 1x (4) Scargil
# 2x (4) Tidelost Burrower
# 2x (5) Gorloc Ravager
# 2x (7) Everyfin is Awesome
#
AAEBAc+LBQbgBYQXm8QCnJsDqO4D5bAEDL8XjJQDtZgD3ewDlfADq6AE1bIEssEEws4Exc4E7tMEy+IEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
This is the post to remind you that every time they print loving Karl (or any other card that makes things cost 0) they break the game, but keep doing it.

Bet I get to quote this in the next thread.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

same :wave:

Also TinTim#2499 on EU I'm not playing a lot these days but if I'm on I'm always down to use a janky wild deck to help with quests

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 27, 2022

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Alright - Jumbuck#1346 (on NA)

Jolly Jumbuck fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 23, 2022

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
For any other EUStars out there add Flayer#2411 for challenges or tag team mode

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
What beats up on Spooky Mage? It's all I'm seeing...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Boatswain posted:

What beats up on Spooky Mage? It's all I'm seeing...

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Yay!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Mulligan for Stewart, aim for the post-Stewart/Umbra combo BUT also don't worry if you don't have it.

### 2nd Place
# Class: Paladin
#
# 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
# 2x (1) Promotion
# 2x (1) Righteous Cause
# 2x (1) Sinful Sous Chef
# 2x (2) Air Raid
# 2x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 2x (3) Day at the Faire
# 1x (3) Divine Favor
# 2x (3) Muster for Battle
# 1x (3) Stewart the Steward
# 2x (3) Stonehearth Vindicator
# 2x (3) Warhorse Trainer
# 2x (4) Dun Baldar Bridge
# 2x (4) Lightfused Stegodon
# 1x (4) Spiritsinger Umbra
# 1x (5) Lothraxion the Redeemed
# 2x (5) Quartermaster
#
AAEBAeq3BASnBcnCAofeA8LiBA3sD+0PuMcC2ccCjK0DlrYDysEDot4Dx6AE+aQE57gEv+IE/e4EAA==
#

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

welp, the battlegrounds monetization strategy has been published:

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23831408/announcing-battlegrounds-season-2

Notably, the 2 hero selection bonus is now being hard-locked behind $$.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I do like the quest mechanic. Like a sane implementation of buddies.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

quote:

Q: What are Runestones?

A: Runestones will be replacing real money purchases for nearly every product in the Hearthstone shop. Some products, like Pre-Purchase Bundles, the Hearthstone Tavern Pass, and Packs (purchasing more than one at a time) will be able to be purchased with money or Runestones. A few other select products, like individual packs and cosmetics crafted in the Collection, will remain purchasable with only Gold.

With Runestones we’ll be able to offer additional smaller-scale items, such as the individual Battlegrounds Hero Skins offered in the shop with this patch. Runestones will be available in bundles of various sizes, including quantities that correspond to our major products (like the Battlegrounds Season Pass), so you can buy exactly the quantity needed for that product or you can stock up on more for later. No product costs are changing with this conversion—all prices are staying the same, just converted to Runestones.

Q: Can I earn Runestones in-game?

A: No, there are no plans to earn Runestones in-game.

So now we need to do math before we can realize all the bundles are too expensive to be worth it. Great.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

LOL WTF ANOTHER MONETIZATION TRACK

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I'm happy there's nothing actually interesting or useful on the rewards track, at least. I don't really care about the extra hero selection so it is easy to skip this whole thing.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RIP Battlegrounds

lol

lmao

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hurthsatone

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
New thread! I'm victoriousNZ#1294 on NA.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I wonder if this runestone abstraction is some way to dodge App Store cuts and the like, or lootbox laws. Or we’re simply going backwards to the Microsoft points era everyone hated for some bizarre reason

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The longer I play Wild the more insulated I am from this sort of poo poo but it is still sucky and annoying.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

victorious posted:

New thread! I'm victoriousNZ#1294 on NA.

Wait what poo poo. I have passed you up like twice? for Challenge a Friend quests cause I thought you were a rando who played a good game. Sorry! Unless you are a rando who played a good game and just happen to also be a Goon that I added. Wouldn't be the first.

Goons get preference for the Quest where we both benefit.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
poo poo, battlegrounds will stop giving xp.

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW
Hi new thread!

I’m Chukkachah#1406 NA

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Excelzior#1793 on NA

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

AnacondaHL posted:

Notably, the 2 hero selection bonus is now being hard-locked behind $$.

:byewhore:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Patrick Spens posted:

poo poo, battlegrounds will stop giving xp.

I don’t think so?

quote:

Q: Do Battlegrounds Missions award regular XP, too?

A: No. You will still gain some Hearthstone Rewards Track XP as you play Battlegrounds, and there will still be some Daily and Weekly Hearthstone Quests that will be completable in Battlegrounds, but the Battlegrounds Missions will only award Battlegrounds XP.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Ah good I misread that.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Excelzior posted:

Excelzior#1793 on NA

You're a Goon too??? I need to keep better track of this poo poo. Thought you were one of the random Brazilians.

I've learned so much Portuguese from this dumb game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

You're a Goon too??? I need to keep better track of this poo poo. Thought you were one of the random Brazilians.

I've learned so much Portuguese from this dumb game.

we did a challenge-a-friend :smith:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Wait - Are they really adding another variation on ‘gems’ like every Pachinko Mobile Developer? Another abstraction of real money to get you to spend a bit more (Buy a 2000 value pack, get 400 ‘bonus/free’, everything costs a division that ensures you have 300 left over)? On top of the nonsense we already have?

gently caress, I was on the edge already, that’s it, I’m out.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Wait - Are they really adding another variation on ‘gems’ like every Pachinko Mobile Developer? Another abstraction of real money to get you to spend a bit more (Buy a 2000 value pack, get 400 ‘bonus/free’, everything costs a division that ensures you have 300 left over)? On top of the nonsense we already have?

gently caress, I was on the edge already, that’s it, I’m out.

to be fair they announced it would come in increments (paraphrasing) "matching our most popular products"

but uh.....lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah that kinda sucks, but at least the things I spend money on in this game (like the preorder bundles) sound like you’ll still be able to purchase with actual money.