Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The 7th Guest posted:

Gleaner Heights is basically farming + twin peaks, where there's small-town mysteries and conspiracies happening, but unfortunately I haven't gotten to that part yet as I'm still just starting out on the farm and it's pretty dang slow getting it off the ground compared to Stardew.

How are the controls for Gleaner Heights? I've always wanted to play it, for historical reasons if nothing else, but the controls looked and sounded rough in all the videos I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Flail Snail posted:

After bugging the Re:Legend people again, I've been handed the second Steam key from my pledge level. It's been five-ish years since the Kickstarter campaign ended and the game finally came out of early access on the fifth of this month. The game is appealing to me - gather resources, plant crops, fight, tame monsters, use the monsters to help you farm, etc - but the full release seems to have several bugs I hadn't experienced during the years of alpha gameplay.

Anyone wants to play, hit me up and I'll get the key to you tomorrow. My messages should be enabled. It's late - more :words: tomorrow, maybe.

I stopped playing this when I made all the money I'd ever need in the first month and realized the game was much more interested in the fighting/adventure parts than the farming I wanted. Is farming still really shallow?

Do water fish still attack your water plants almost every day? Tending to them was super tedious.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Potion Permit? Graphically it looks great, but charm is a hard thing to judge. I know it has a demo on PC, but unfortunately not on console as far as I could see.

I was pretty disappointed, but all my gripes boil down to two things.

1) I like making friends with all the cool NPCs. The villagers in Potion Permit start out hating you for reasons that I totally understand, but it's still not very fun. Even once you start getting on their good side, they're still kind of unpleasant.

2) The game designers have a very clear vision and don't want the player deviating from it. This shows up in lots of annoying little ways. Here are a couple of examples but there are others. The city has roads. The only way to get from point a to point b is by following the roads. You can't jump the fences or even pass between two buildings, there's always something blocking player movement except along the one allowed path. For the first several hours of the game at least, there's no point in not just doing the quests they give as quickly as possible. Doing anything other than exactly what you're told to do just wastes your time. You can't go exploring until you're given the exploring quest. You can't talk to the villagers until you're given the talk to villagers quest. You can't even do your job of healing people until you do the first several healing people quests. It's all painfully linear.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Varsity posted:

I just wish there was some kind of attempt at depth. The tetrimino puzzle game is fun for a few times, but then you have to make some popping potion and you just sigh and start the tedious process of fitting in the pieces.

Something like this would have at least made the potion part of the game interesting:

This patient has a burn level of 6 and 3 scratches.

Let me throw in 3 red flowers that treat +2 burn a piece, and the blue flower that treats +4 scratch. But oh hey, this new plant I unlocked has +5 burn and +3 scratch, saving me materials, sweet! Now I have room to add in the yellow +3 sweet flower that adds satisfaction.

Just... anything to make the process worth doing. Shrug.

That would have been cool.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Anyone who likes the idea of Potion Permit and also is enough of a nerd to like solo tabletop RPG experiences should check out Apothecaria by Anna Blackwell. A game where you slowly improve your apothecary's workshop while gathering mysterious ingredients and treating various ailments. There's also a very cute 'travelling animal merchant' game called Apawthecaria.

Do you mean an actual physical game?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone see any streams/reviews of Harvestella up yet?

Still another hour before it unlocks on steam.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

I've played a bit of Immortal Life and I know someone else played a bit of it, maybe in the Stardew thread?

It's a bit rough right now, the whole cultivation aspect of it hasn't really kicked in yet. They did make some pretty major fixes to the combat that make it a lot less janky at the expense of making it kind of trivial so far. I haven't seen any boss fights so that might change.

The actual farming is a bit weird since you've got a chance to get different crops when harvesting. ie. You plant soy beans and you can harvest both soy beans and like, magic soy beans. You can't really do much with them yet but they sell for more which is good because the economy in this game is rough as hell and your best way of dealing with it is just to go fishing instead. I don't know if the game will feel better once we get more progress or if the early game's always going to be a bit slow.

I might just be spoiled by RF3/4 where you can pretty much speedrun the early game though.

Immortal Life has a lot of planned content not added yet, it's true. Money is very tight early game because a lot of the crops have very slim profit margins.

In terms of "cultivation stuff" there are several spells currently implemented. For example the optimal watering method is casting a watering spell from your gourd that creates a rain cloud that you can move around. The basic watering gourd lasts long enough to water a 2x10 area and the upgrade waters a 2x14 area. You can make other arbitrary shapes, but I've found it easiest to stick to a simple rectangle.

Combat also has access to a couple different spells, I mostly ignore them except for the enemies that only take damage from spells since I use most of my magic on watering.

Still talking about "cultivation stuff," there's two ways to gain cultivation experience to advance your cultivation rank and tier. Every time you kill a monster you get a little bit of cultivation experience (this is where most of your cultivation experience comes from). As you progress the rebuilding storyline you get the option to rebuild the training hall. Once that's completed, you can hire cultivators to teach you cultivation lessons to raise your stats and also give you some cultivation experience. I think the NPC cultivators get cultivation xp from this as well.

For plants, I tend to think of the other crops you get as just another quality rank. When you harvest you can get normal, green, blue, or orange quality crops. For some reason, the orange quality crops have a different name. There's a trader that comes once a season that gives you quests for orange quality crops (the ones with different names) and it's very much worth doing her quests (and also buying the special seeds she sells - they're the most profitable in the game). There are also a bunch of other quests that require blue and orange quality crops.

I don't post about it often because it's very EA of the please-give-us-money-so-we-can-afford-to-make-the-game variety, but there's a fair bit to do already. Over a year's worth of content for even a try hard like me who made his own Crop spreadsheet and gift guide. And they've added stuff since then.

I do think it still has serious issues:
Not all items have a use. Some gift items aren't liked by anyone.
I liked the original fighting system better where you could walk up and hit things instead of the current "flying sword" that's basically an infinite range gun that shoots through walls. Even so, I can see why they changed it because the original wasn't better than tolerable.
There's no controller support (I can kinda get it working through steam's controller support, but all the time fighting/mining is keyboard and mouse; and you spend a lot of time mining).
I can see what they wanted to do with cooking, but what was originally a mildly innovative minigame I now loathe. It was fun at first but now I just want to be able to push a button to make the stuff for the quests and move on.
They game designer is apparently not great at math - for example, cooking is basically always a net loss. You'd gain more stamina by sleeping for that same amount of time and spend less money just buying food and growing something more profitable. Yes, even when cooking with ingredients you grew yourself.
Most people have exactly one line of dialogue that they repeat every single day outside of a handful of quests. If that NPC even has quests yet. For months the only thing one of the NPCs would say is "please don't talk to me."

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 31, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MerrMan posted:

If I'm just going to play one Rune Factory, which would it be? I haven't played any since having the original on my DS like 15 years ago or whatever and I'd like to check one out. Kind of looks like 4 is better liked than 5?

4. Rune Factory 4 Special, or RF4S is the version you want. It has all the dlc's bundled with it - they're mostly cosmetic and there's nothing wrong with the base game if you find it, but there's no real reason not to get the Special version.

5 is 3D but the controls are worse. 3, 4, and 5 are all good games, but 4 is just better.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

I did like Stardew Valley but I never really went all the way in on it, fundamentally because I don't really enjoy video game farms I guess. alas. maybe its cuz ive got esports brains but i do need some kind of hostility to play against, whether its environmental or enemy creatures or something

I Was A Teenage Exo-Colonist is probably what you want.

Since you liked Stardew Valley but want more hostility, the Rune Factory series is basically the same thing but with a lot more fighting. You should give Rune Factory 4 a try sometime, it's the best in the series and has so much novel dialogue that you won't see the same dialogue line twice in a playthrough. It's on PC now.

My Time at Portia is in-between SV and RF4 in the amount of fighting it expects you to do.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Aside from Stardew and Portia, what good lifestyle/chore sims are on the switch?

I have a newborn, so ideally something I can sink a ton of hours into in the middle of the night while I'm up with him

Rune Factory 4. It's the only game that I think is on par with Stardew. As long as you are fine with anime it's amazing. Each character has so many unique lines of dialogue you'll literally never read the same line twice in a single play through. It's got 2 arcs that are both as long as most other games. The marriage events are unique quests that run about an hour long and are genuinely some of the most charming sequences I've ever seen in a game.

It's heavier on the combat than Portia - whether that's a pro or con depends on your personal preferences. You can bring up to two NPCs (including any of the bachellors and bachelloretes) with you when fighting.

Hwurmp posted:

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Sakuna is a step further towards being a fighting game than Rune Factory. It's a Castlevania-like with a farm attached. People who like Castlevania might object to that description but I can't think of a better comparison point. The (rice) farm is very detailed, but not well explained in game, so you probably want to watch or read a guide, or three. There's very much a right and wrong way to do it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Is there a way to change controller bindings in Dinkum? I keep dropping my weapons when I try to fight.

Mysticblade posted:

RF5 had something of a wonky transition to 3D that makes the game feel significantly worse than it's predecessor. RF4 on the other hand is basically the 4th actual iteration of the franchise on the basically the same hardware (DS to 3DS) and pretty much an improved mechanically and slightly less anime version of RF3. RF4 also got extra content and fixes in the rereleases.

RF5 is still considered good as long as you're not playing it on the Switch and it does actually let you do m/m and f/f romances. But otherwise, RF4 is generally considered better.

Yep.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How do you protect your crops in Dinkum?

I'm playing multiplayer with my wife, and we've got a little 3x5 area fenced in with tomatoes inside. We've lost half the tomatoes twice now, and I've no idea why. There was no wildlife nearby when I noticed the tomatoes were just missing. Poles and everything gone.

It is still the first summer so there have been no season changes. Tomatoes are a summer & fall crop.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 1, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've gotten 2 seasons into Dinkum and it's kind of an odd game. In one particularly frustrating way, it's almost the opposite of Stardew: it seems to want players to engage with every mechanic at all times. Two easy examples of this are the commerce license and gifting. In order to unlock the commerce license you have to gain 10 skill levels in mining, logging, and fishing. 10 Skill levels represents, at minimum, several real-life hours of dedicated effort or about half-way to the soft-cap. If you don't like fishing or mining or whatever, you're out of luck. There's no catch-up mechanic to gain skill in the activity you don't like. You just have to grind through it. Gifting is handled by NPCs giving daily requests that you can either accept or refuse. The catch is, with the notable exception of food you'd like to eat yourself, nothing the NPCs ask for can be stored in a box. You can't stock up on stuff for gifts while doing other tasks. You must put aside your personal plans for the day and go do a chore for the NPC instead if you want to make them happy. They can ask for bugs or fish or metals, so again, if you don't like one of those mechanics you're stuck with either not progressing friendship for the day or engaging with a game system you don't like. And you can't just skip the friendship and gifting mechanic entirely either - in order for people to move onto the island permanently, you (or at least the host player in MP) have to raise the NPC's friendship level just to unlock the quest to have them move in. Actually getting them to move in generally requires a large amount of goods gained from mining, logging, and sometimes the game's treasure hunting mechanic, the tool for which is a metal detector. If you think fiddling with a metal detector sounds tedious, you're not wrong.

Despite all this, my wife adores the game and constantly asks to play it. We've played a lot of games together over the last decade and I can't remember the last time she's been as excited about a game. It's clearly able to hook people, despite what are to me, clear flaws. I just wish they'd either put more design effort into ensuring all the systems are actually fun, or at least given me a way to avoid them in favor of the parts of the game I find more tolerable.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 4, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone got a good guide to farming in Sakuna? I know I'm a few years late to the party, but I'm just completely lost. I somehow managed to both overwater and underwater my first rice harvest.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Plant your rice and raise water to about 20%. Visit your fields several times daily to pull weeds.

Every morning when you wake up, spread fertiliser then put a fresh pot on to brew. You fill in the 'triangle' of nutrients using Fallen Leaves / Beast Hoofs / Beast Manure and Amber. The amber is compulsory, don't try to hoard it.
If you can keep the triangle 25% filled in each direction that's good enough. Just don't let it hit zero.
Also throw random other crap into your fertiliser to boost your crop's stats.

Your rice will move from Seedling -> First Offshoots -> Second Offshoots -> Third Offshoots. As soon as it hits Third drain all the water off.

Once it moves on to Sprouting put the water back at around 20-30%. Keep fertilising every morning, at this stage it will he chewing through Kernel nutrients like a chainsaw. Also keep up the weeding.

Once it is 'ready to harvest' drain the water. Stay your sickle until Autumn starts, then reap it all. Dry it well, thresh it, then pound it all the way to white rice.

Sakuna will complain that it was a terrible crop. There's no way to get a crop she considers 'good' in the first few years.

Advanced rice growing involves a lot of micromanaging your fertiliser by getting the right things to put into it. The 'night' drops are the best way to improve your pest control / herbicide / toxicity numbers, but it'll be a fair few crops until you can get the ones you need of those.

Thanks. Knowing there was nothing I could do to avoid getting a bad first crop took a lot of the frustration away.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hey Portia came up again in the Management games thread and it made me wonder - how is Sandrock?

I didn’t click with Portia until I did- but it was right before Sandrock and I felt sort of motivated to wait to really sink into the sequel.

Is that smart? Do I care about plot at all - enough to want to play the first one? Is Sandrock decent yet?

Sandrock will probably replace Portia in my top 3 list when it's finished. At which point Portia will still be a great game, but will join RF3, RF5, & Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town (SV's inspiration) as good games that are overshadowed by a better version.

At the current rate of progress it will likely be at least a year before that happens, and maybe longer. That's more than enough time to play Portia and still leave a gap before picking up Sandrock so you're not burnt out on the concept. If you want to.

Very little of the Portia plot matters to Sandrock. It can be safely skipped.

Does DQB2 still have that awful DRM?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

I need some cozy games for Steam Deck if anyone has suggestions!

I’ve played Stardew but I get in a weird loop of putting 10 hours or so into it getting to fall and giving up the game for some reason. Done that like half a dozen times now lol.

I have my time at Sandrock after loving Portia but it seems to not be running too great yet on the Deck.

How about some CYOA/narrative stories?

Golden Treasure of the Great Green has you play as a dragon and is real good.

Open Sourcery is short and clever and a significant chunk you are protecting a little kid. Very Indie, though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, so I grabbed Sun Haven as well since it was finally out of Early Access, and I'm pretty tepid about it. It's very similar to Stardew Valley if SV was created by a Korean MMORPG shop: everything takes ten times longer than it should.

Like, you go to the mines (as in SV) and you mine out copper (as in SV) so that you can smelt it into bars (as in SV) to make new tools (though you can make them yourself, unlike SV where you pay a guy to do it). But in Sun Haven, there are fewer copper nodes in each mine level, so it takes more time to get the same copper ore. And then they smelt to bars at 3:1, so you're getting a third of the materials from the same amount of ore, which again, you're getting less of. And now you have three armor slots to fill, so you actually need more copper bars to keep up with the game.

And that's kind of where everything in the game goes. You need to chop down more trees to get more lumber to get one of the twenty machines that do things that an SV workbench does. You need to grind a few hundred monsters to get your character's skills up to where they can survive the fourth screen in the wilderness. You need to navigate conversation trees with neighbors and tell them what they want to hear because just talking to them doesn't raise friendship levels. The main plot involves a crap-ton of running back and forth between the same two or three people to relay messages.

I mean, it's not all bad- there's a lot more: more crops to grow, more furniture to make and decorate with, more food to make, more ways to customize your character and make them unique in look and skills... it's just that it's slow to do all of those things, and it seems that every time you make a bit of progress some random event comes that stops you until you dig out from under it. I just made it through the first season to summer, and the mine is now randomly blocked and I need to pay 4 iron bars to re-open it, which is hard to get when the mine is blocked. I mean, it's not impossible, but it'll be expensive because I have to just go buy the stuff, and that means less money for everything else.

It's definitely a game that makes your success feel hard-earned, at least.

Mining gets a lot faster as you get more levels and mining talents. Mid-game I was able to consistently gather all the metal from 10 min levels a day. Deeper mine levels have more good rocks (and also more dangerous enemies). I don't remember the mine closing, that is a jerk move. If you haven't already bought the iron bars, I think they can drop from chests (of which there are reliably 1-2 across all the beach maps each day)

The conversational trees are especially annoying because you can lose relationship points if you pick the wrong thing. At least you can still give gifts.

My main complaint with the game is that it's very keyboard/mouse focused. They added controller support at some point but it's still pretty clunky.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I wanted to give Coral Island a try, but it has now crashed three times in three different spots on the first day and I don't know if I can make myself sit through the first day intro again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

And that food system is really cool, right up until you realized that the devs bloated the everliving gently caress out of the crafting system and added a bunch of foods that don't increase stats, so now you have to sort through pages and pages of recipes to see what you want to do, and time doesn't pause in the crafting menu. There is, thankfully, a mod that lets you craft from chests and quick sort to chests, so it could be worse.

That's really disappointing to hear. That's a pretty recent change too. For the longest time, every crafted food item raised your stats. So there was a whole layer of the game where you could just spend tens of hours making all the different foods to supercharge your stats. It was completely unnecessary but it made for an engaging victory lap.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Richlove posted:

I picked up Rune Factory 4s at the recommendations for my Steam Deck in the sale. This game is great and super chill so far. I own but never really played both Stardew Valley and My Time At Portia.

Are those two games pretty similar in content to the Rune Factory series?

Yes. They're the three best games in their genre. They focus on different things though. Rune Factory is the most focused on combat. Stardew Valley is the most focused on farming. Portia is a bit unusual in that it focuses on quests that are mostly about building things but is still super chill.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

lunar detritus posted:

Unless Portia has massively improved since the last time I played I wouldn't call it "best" anything. Floaty movement, boring characters, glitchy everything, it was a big disappointment for me.

Much like it's currently EA sequel, My Time at Sandrock, My Time at Portia started out as an EA game so it's possible it was glitchy at one point. I've played it through twice in the last few years and haven't noticed any glitches.

I enjoy the movement options. You can walk, run, or roll. There are jumping puzzles and twoish types of mounts. One of which is a cute colored lama and another is wearing absolutely ridiculous sunglasses. That's more than most of these kinds of games offer.

The characters got more fleshed out over time, but I wouldn't say the writing changed substantially. If you didn't like it then you probably won't like it now, and that's fine. People can like different things.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DQ2 is a cute game, but does it ever open up? So far I've been bossed around by a murderous skeleton, a red head so bratty she makes the god of destruction seem reasonable, and a hairy hermit. Do you ever get to make your own decisions or does it remain basically a puzzle game?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is Portia still a little buggy or has it been mostly solid? I remember hearing that it seemed devs kinda just abandoned it for Sandrock but that might have been some forum speculation. Been in the mood for a chill game on my steam deck. Debating between Portia or Dinkum.

Portia is not buggy and hasn't been for years. It does feel janky and not quite finished because the devs did abandon it for Sandrock (after several years of free post-release expansions). But the main storyline is still over a hundred hours and is several complete story arcs. The main source of jank is that some npcs were clearly one of the dev's favorite and so got a lot more development than the others, which leaves the other npcs feeling unfinished, but that's a design issue, not an implementation issue (the distinction is the why it feels janky and unfinished, but is still stable).

Dinkum is fine. It's more Animal Crossing than Stardew Valley. Growing crops is fine, but getting sprinklers and other end-game items is very resource intensive. We played 40 hours of it and are done with it, but enjoyed it the whole time.

In contrast, I've played 800 hours of Portia.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone got a good guide for RF5? Especially with regards to farm tool recipes? I'm still using starter tools and can't find anywhere that drops bronze so I can make the upgrades.

All the guides and wikis for RF5 I've found have been a lot less helpful than their RF4 equivalents.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I tried Dinkum a while back. I was put off with how you start with literally nothing. Mostly how there's absolutely no community to move into, that you have to build it yourself. Does the "village" begin taking on life quickly?

Not really. It gets there eventually but it's a long, slow road.

To get villagers to move in, you have to get them up to 1 heart. Villagers who haven't moved in yet show up randomly in the guest tent that you build early on. Who shows up any given day is random. So it can take awhile for anyone to show up enough times to even give you the option of having them move in. Then you have to build their tent/house.

The exception to this is the starter merchant. He is the only person who shows up until you build his house. So you're guaranteed to get him relatively quickly. But after that, getting, e.g. the option to buy seeds or animals is totally random. It could happen the next day or it could take weeks before they randomly show up.

It does get lively, eventually. Until then, we kept ourselves busy by planting an orchard (bury tree fruit to grow fruit trees) and making lots of traps to ship crocs and stuff off the island. It's pretty slow though. I can't really recommend it if you're already not liking it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Portia is one of those games that just keeps going well past what you might think the end of the game is.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Is Dinkum real-time like Animal Crossing or is it Stardew/SoS-style 15-20 minute "days"

e: nevermind, found the answer

For other thread readers, it's Stardew style with "days" that go by in a half hour or less.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Just came to say that. It also gives you some premium currency.

Wait, what? Premium currency in a paid for game? Much less a relaxing farming game?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

It's gonna go free to play once it leaves early access, they just decided to start the grifting early

It's a shame too, there's the bones of a pretty decent game in there

That's insane. I'm very glad someone warned this thread.

Grifting is a great description of what they're doing.

MarcusSA posted:

Eh I’m a little hesitant to call it grifting tbh.

You get currency and get to play a pretty drat finished game.
To add some perspective here, Disney is charging twice the price of SV for a game that isn't complete. In addition to that they're loading up a game targeted at children with microtransactions.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sunhaven is okay. The art kinda seems unfinished. More like concept art than a polished final product to me. I can live with that, but the controls were designed for keyboard and mouse. In some technical sense there’s controller support now, but the moment to moment control is not smooth.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Talorat posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a good chill numbers go up game? I played and liked Stardew Valley, Dredge, Potionomics and Dinkum. Did not like potion permit or Story of Seasons Olive town. What would be the best game to play that won’t feel stale or like a rehash of what I’ve played before?

My Time At Portia. It's SV but you play as Robin. Story quests to build stuff add stuff to the world that remains visible and often relevant.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

DQ2 is an adventure or puzzle game with farm theming, not a farming game. It’s cute, but you never get to a position where you can advance by building what you want. At some point you have to do what the quests tell you to. If it’s what you want, that’s great, but it doesn’t scratch the same itch as SV or harvest moon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Maybe Clanfolk? It's like Rimworld or DF but completely non-violent.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hel posted:

So apparently Rune Factory 4 is on gamepass, is it one of the good ones and if so is there anything I should know before playing?

One of the good ones. The quests from the mailbox (just roll with it, far from the strangest thing in the game) will teach you everything you need to know.

You can add a magnifying glass to a hoe using the smithing interface. This is very helpful since it gives your hoe all the magnifying glass powers, freeing up an inventory slot. You don't need this info until it comes up in game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hel posted:

Yeah, I'm still in first spring but it seems pretty good. Is there a way to transfer the magnifying powers to the next level of hoe, or do I have to spend 2000G as an extra tax on the upgrade? Not that 2000 is super expensive even this soon.

Do the same thing with your old hoe and new hoe that you did with your magnifying glass and old hoe to start with.

When you smith equipment into any other piece of equipment it transfers the first, I think 2 (it's been awhile), buffs on it. Or maybe which buff gets transferred is random? Either way, for just the hoe and magnifying glass you're guaranteed to get it to transfer.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hel posted:

That's what I thought would work, but it didn't, which is why I asked , in case you were supposed to use it as a bonus in creation instead of bolting it on later.

Oops, sorry. I know that equipment can inherit stats and bonuses from other equipment, but the RF4 crafting rules are pretty byzantine and I must have forgotten the details.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Re: Legend was fun enough, but even a minimal investment in farming gave you enough money to buy everything buyable by the end of the first season. After that it became something more like an adventure game where you could farm if you wanted to but there was no real reason to do so. I wanted to like because it seemed like they were trying to make a cross between pokemon and harvest moon which could have been really cool. Neither half was particularly well executed though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Marvelous is the company that made the original Harvest Moon games. They basically created the genre. That said, I've been disappointed in the Story of Seasons games that have released since Stardew Valley came out and haven't tried that one yet.

I don't expect it to have anything major wrong with it, but if it follows previous releases it's likely to be missing many quality of life improvements SV made to the genre. Especially since this particular release is a remake of a Gamecube game that was, at the time, enormously popular. Here's a more detailed review: https://www.ign.com/articles/story-of-seasons-a-wonderful-life-review

AARD VARKMAN posted:

trying to decide a switch farming game to play. I've done Stardew many times and Pioneers of Olive Town. Not a big rune factory fan and I thought My Time at Portia was ok. Any ideas? Was considering doing POOT again but maybe I should try the Wonderful Life remake

If you enjoyed Pioneers of Olive Town I would expect you'd enjoy the Wonderful Life remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Littlewood is fun and cute. It's probably too easy for some people.

I really, really, really strongly anti-recommend Graveyard Keeper. It actively hates the player and goes well out of its way to make you miserable. One of the major story beats is just, "ha, ha, you died doing what I, the game, told you to do, isn't that funny? Also, you just wasted a bunch of money."

The patches, and especially the introduction of zombies to automate most repetitive tasks, smoothed some of the rough edges off it, but that was just putting a band-aid over the deep and abiding hatred the game and it's solo developer seem to have for the people that play it.

It's not a fun sort of hatred like Rimworld or DF either, where anything can happen and losing is both entertaining and educational. Just deliberately slow and anti-fun mechanics.

I did eventually grind through the whole game, but in retrospect, I enjoyed very little of it.