Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Something Awful Forums / Bideo James / MTG Arena: The Good, The Bad, And The Elky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gonna take my dino to the old town road

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Historic Brawl is full of hilarious broken cards. Mana Drain is in as of this set too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah I have to burn wildcards on mana drain for timeless don't I lmao?

Until they print Force of Will that's gotta be the undisputed best counterspell?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

imagine dungeons posted:

Historic Brawl is full of hilarious broken cards. Mana Drain is in as of this set too.

the turn one dark ritual into stitchers supplier into reanimate griselbrand is a go

or if you have a minimum orzhov deck they reprinted pariah so you can just reanimate something with indestructible and then watch them concede

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Lid posted:

the turn one dark ritual into stitchers supplier into reanimate griselbrand is a go

or if you have a minimum orzhov deck they reprinted pariah so you can just reanimate something with indestructible and then watch them concede

If you can wait for turn 2 they added a 3 mana entomb this set

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bonny Pall seems unbeatable lol

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Fritzler posted:

First draft: 7 mana draw 4 is still good enough lol.

How's that deck working out for you? I got that card in my sealed pull and I'd really like to play it!

I'd love feedback from anyone on my sealed pull. I'm doing Trad for the first time on Arena so I can sideboard. This deck RUb deck looks like it will be very slow. Maybe I should go for GW (and splash for Bonny)? Open to any other suggestions but those are the two decks that pop out to me.

Here's the two decks I'm considering:
1. Slow Greedy Value RUb: https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/deck/6653963740cb413a8678d6fe1dcc5a02/2
2. Aggressive Token GWu: https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/deck/6653963740cb413a8678d6fe1dcc5a02/3

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bonny Pall seems unbeatable lol

I skipped spoilers but looking that up gives huge Uro vibes. This is not a good thing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Starting with Sealed as usual

https://sealeddeck.tech/NKf3vCGRwV

White is a given, I have a huge amount of amazing removal and some solid creature stock too. With the double excellent Boros rare, I'm into pairing it with R, and that gives me a bunch of solid two-drops as well as cheap removal. The real question is, what's the (necessary) third color? B adds the most power (Gisa, more removal), but it's all double-pipped. I do have two duals at least, but it seems like I'd just be praying for the mana to align most of the time. The other cards I gain from adding B are two-drops (not a good splash) and some buildaround stuff I don't think I have the support for (BW signposts).

Instead, I'm leaning towards G: all cards I'm interested in are splashed with a single pip, all are top end, sadly no duals but I got two search-fixers if necessary. So here's the build:

Happy for suggestions!
This went 2-3, but all the matches I lost except the last one (flooded) were super close, even the one where I mulled to five (!). Hell, the ones I won were also close. Definitely felt cool, my deck felt powerful and like it could do a lot of fun stuff (double striking flying oxen, woo), however the G splash was really shaky and often left cards stranded in my hand - I guess that's Sealed. Notably all my opps played G in some form, and it was always close because they just had a super loving big beater - often with Reach - that threatened a lot of damage out of nowhere and stabilized extremely well. G definitely feels like it's the color to watch out for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also went 2-3. 2 of those three losses were to Bonny Pall so I now have a scapegoat for this set lol

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
My Pirate deck is feeling pretty good with the new set. Reckless Lackey is a huge improvement over Tomb Raider, the new Malcolm and Breeches make great combo pieces, and the Worldwaker Helm ensures I never run out of maps, which is huge for consistency. Not to mention the convenience of the reprinted fast land. I look forward to all of it being rendered irrelevant by the sixteen trillion removal spells everyone's going to be running. :shepicide:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Im pretty convinced they laid off the only person that had the necessary permissions to ban stuff in brawl and just haven't figured out how to do it yet. They just stopped banning things in brawl. Even things that probably shouldn't be in there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

A Moose posted:

Im pretty convinced they laid off the only person that had the necessary permissions to ban stuff in brawl and just haven't figured out how to do it yet. They just stopped banning things in brawl. Even things that probably shouldn't be in there.

Probably the same person who said they should ban Alchemy cards from it too.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Brawl does seem completely unregulated right now. Mythweaver Poq just running around unchecked for like 4 months.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Time posted:

honestly cant believe the big eldrazi dont have reach. bad flavor imo

Yeah, what does and doesn't have reach is honestly baffling to me.

This guy is a spooder so it has reach. But that guy is a spooder but they forgot the reach for some reason? This guy is an archer so it has reach. But this guy has an ACTUAL GUN and has no reach. This version of this Praetor has reach but this one doesn't. This literal walking skyscraper? Nah no reach. But THAT literal walking skyscraper? Reach for daaaayyyyys.

People will absolutely still get got by it but it will happen a lot less when there's an obvious visual symbol of it like there is for Trample - and I think they've made Firststrike and Doublestrike show up with priority when they're relevant too

Arena heavily rewards playing quickly, but getting caught out by reach being not even visible on the card without hovering and having no visual indicators punished it and I'm glad they fixed it.

Though I with the bows and arrows were just a little less prominent.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I guess subjectively it's probably better, but it feels like my luck wasn't garbage the day MKM dropped.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

imagine dungeons posted:

Brawl does seem completely unregulated right now. Mythweaver Poq just running around unchecked for like 4 months.

That and the other cascade deck otk thingy that just makes the most boring of games

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fuckin how is Intimidation Campaign only Uncommon lmao

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Seems like a very combat trick and removal heavy format, especially with the bonus sheet cards.

Blood Hustler is a stupid good card, even with the once per turn clause.

Manabases feel fairly forgiving, lots of fixing and treasure tokens to smooth things out.

The Deserts that ping on ETB are really really good, I can see these having some mileage in constructed formats.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, what does and doesn't have reach is honestly baffling to me.

This guy is a spooder so it has reach. But that guy is a spooder but they forgot the reach for some reason? This guy is an archer so it has reach. But this guy has an ACTUAL GUN and has no reach. This version of this Praetor has reach but this one doesn't. This literal walking skyscraper? Nah no reach. But THAT literal walking skyscraper? Reach for daaaayyyyys.

People will absolutely still get got by it but it will happen a lot less when there's an obvious visual symbol of it like there is for Trample - and I think they've made Firststrike and Doublestrike show up with priority when they're relevant too

Arena heavily rewards playing quickly, but getting caught out by reach being not even visible on the card without hovering and having no visual indicators punished it and I'm glad they fixed it.

Though I with the bows and arrows were just a little less prominent.

What are the spuders that don't have reach? (or live in a cave)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shelob (well both shelobs) seems to be the only one other than Giant Trap Door Spider, looking at Scryfall, and was what I ws thinking of.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm maybe with Mana Drain this esper gimmick control shell will function lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I made a Geralf the Fleshwright brawl deck, and holy poo poo we should not have mana drain, what were they thinking? I countered someone's 3 drop, played my commander with 2 of the colorless, played some cards that draw other cards, played some zero cost artifacts, played a convoke card, and my opponent just quit on my turn 4.

Imagine if I was doing something actually good with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao it feels like the addition of Mana Drain means that timeless decks are now just running 12 counterspells in the main

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Made a graveyard crimes deck for my sealed pool.

Boo Unlicenced Hearse peeling out of the parking lot. I had an artifact removal but never drew it and couldn't remove it otherwise. Just ate my graveyard and beat me down with it the whole game.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao it feels like the addition of Mana Drain means that timeless decks are now just running 12 counterspells in the main

yeah the bad ones are

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Had not played constructed in april - went from plat 4 to ranked mythic in 6 hours of playtime using this. this deck looks braindead but is the hardest thing i have played in a bit. i built it from the ground up in like 5 minutes so it probably needs me to sleep then get up with fresh sideboard ideas and edits to the main. i hate the board tbh but the meta is so weird rn that i dont feel like editing it until it settles down

Deck
4 Slickshot Show-Off (OTJ) 146
4 Abundant Harvest (STA) 48
4 Questing Druid (WOE) 234
2 Mountain (UST) 215
4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler (MH2) 121
4 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
4 Mishra's Bauble (BRR) 34
4 Surgical Extraction (OTP) 19
4 Lightning Bolt (STA) 42
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
4 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
4 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230
2 Unholy Heat (MH2) 145

Sideboard
1 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
1 Unholy Heat (MH2) 145
1 Royal Treatment (WOE) 183
1 Cast into the Fire (LTR) 118
1 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
1 Unholy Heat (MH2) 145
1 Royal Treatment (WOE) 183
3 Boromir, Warden of the Tower (LTR) 4
4 Roiling Vortex (ZNR) 156

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Time posted:

3 Boromir, Warden of the Tower (LTR) 4

Is Boromir a typo? I don't see how you're able to cast him.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Chamale posted:

Is Boromir a typo? I don't see how you're able to cast him.

you hold it in hand then they show and tell and lose

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Time posted:

you hold it in hand then they show and tell and lose

Oh! That's brilliant. I play Banishing Light in the main of my Tainted Pact deck for similar reasons, but Boromir even shuts down instants.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sword of Wealth and Power is a lot of fun, I just wish Protection blocked everything and not just damage/targeting, I'd love to have something I could count on for these last few months until Sunfall is finally out of Alchemy.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It offers protection, not hexproof, so you can't target it with your own spells.

But Fling sacrifices a creature as an additional cost.

Doing (x+2) * 3 damage in a single turn is pretty baller.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

EclecticTastes posted:

Sword of Wealth and Power is a lot of fun, I just wish Protection blocked everything and not just damage/targeting, I'd love to have something I could count on for these last few months until Sunfall is finally out of Alchemy.

This was how it worked way back in the day, but people hated playing against decks running Balance and Black Knight. Balance would ignore the creatures with protection from white entirely, so the other player would have to sacrifice down to 0 creatures.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I made a Taii Wakeen deck that is Pretty Fun (mostly because I am out of hellqueue, gently caress yeah)

Commander
1 Taii Wakeen, Perfect Shot (OTJ) 234

Deck
1 Guttersnipe (M19) 145
1 Snow-Covered Plains (SLD) 1473
1 Skrelv, Defector Mite (ONE) 33
1 Blazing Volley (IKO) 107
1 End the Festivities (VOW) 155
1 Dual Shot (XLN) 141
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
1 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
1 Abraded Bluffs (OTJ) 251
1 Inspiring Vantage (KLR) 283
1 Lightning Bolt (STA) 42
1 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
1 Flame-Blessed Bolt (VOW) 158
1 Grim Lavamancer (JMP) 331
1 Land Tax (WOT) 9
1 Magma Spray (AKR) 164
1 Elegant Parlor (MKM) 260
1 Play with Fire (MID) 154
1 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer (MUL) 86
1 Shock (STA) 44
1 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166
1 Strangle (SNC) 125
1 Mechanized Warfare (BRO) 139
1 Abrade (LCI) 131
1 Heartflame Duelist (WOE) 228
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Pillar of Flame (JMP) 355
1 Ranger's Firebrand (LTR) 143
1 Tectonic Hazard (LCI) 169
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Chandra's Pyrohelix (WAR) 120
1 Electrostatic Field (GRN) 97
1 Erebor Flamesmith (LTR) 122
1 Grapeshot (STA) 39
1 Firebrand Archer (AKR) 154
1 Kessig Flamebreather (VOW) 164
1 Invasion of Tarkir (MOM) 149
1 Lightning Strike (DMU) 137
1 Coldsteel Heart (CSP) 136
1 The Irencrag (WOE) 248
1 Arc Lightning (KTK) 97
1 A-Rockslide Sorcerer (ZNR) 154
1 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Barrage of Boulders (KTK) 100
1 Collective Defiance (OTP) 21
1 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
1 Fervent Paincaster (AKR) 153
1 Fiery Inscription (LTR) 126
1 Flames of the Firebrand (JMP) 317
1 Goblin Chainwhirler (DAR) 129
1 Melt Through (Y23) 10
1 Magic Missile (AFR) 154
1 Honden of Infinite Rage (CHK) 172
1 Seismic Wave (NEO) 161
1 Chandra, Pyromaster (AKR) 146
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance (KLR) 117
1 Furycalm Snarl (STX) 266
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
1 Chandra, Heart of Fire (M21) 135
1 Glorybringer (AKR) 157
1 Needleverge Pathway (ZNR) 263
1 Swiftfoot Boots (BRR) 58
1 Virtue of Courage (WOE) 157
1 Chandra, Hope's Beacon (MOM) 134
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
1 Rip Apart (STX) 225
1 Sacred Fire (MID) 239
1 Lightning Helix (STA) 62
1 Rem Karolus, Stalwart Slayer (MID) 235
1 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Giver of Runes (MH1) 13
1 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
1 Flooded Strand (KTK) 233
1 Wooded Foothills (KTK) 249
1 Windswept Heath (KTK) 248
1 Alpine Meadow (KHM) 248
1 Snow-Covered Plains (SLD) 325
1 Snow-Covered Plains (KHM) 277
1 Snow-Covered Plains (KHM) 276
4 Snow-Covered Mountain (SLD) 1476
3 Snow-Covered Mountain (SLD) 328
4 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283
4 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 282
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
1 Defiler of Instinct (DMU) 119

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Trophied with a deck that hasn't really felt playable for the last few sets.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/8482b705bebe4fff9f05b345f2347eb9

Black removal into finding a bomb.

Opened Rakdos, the Muscle, but wasn't really getting any playable R in P1. Took a speculative Bruse Tarl (worth a double splash? Dubiously.) P2P1 and slowly shifted into WB, figuring Outlaw Medics were decent speed bumps. Servant of the Stinger fetched Rakdos in a bunch of games and landing one basically guarantees a win against any deck without exile-based removal.

My stupid Oasis Gardeners and DT on a stick really made the deck work. Skullduggery is like my favourite type of limited Magic card, especially in a set with committing crimes. I played a zillion copies of Rat Out and I will play a zillion more copies of Skullduggery. There aren't as many random x/1s to pick off, but it wins early combat and is 1 mana (and 1 card) commit a crime when you need it (like turning Servant of the Stinger into DT).

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 17, 2024

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

form a posse is pretty wacky for an uncommon

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

In a draft match Resilient Roadrunner was a superstar against a green blue deck with no haste cards. Every turn kept pecking and it was somehow enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I made a Taii Wakeen deck that is Pretty Fun (mostly because I am out of hellqueue, gently caress yeah)

Ooh I opened one in my sealed pool, I might give this a go (I am going to study the draft format a bit before diving in over there lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Simply Simon posted:

Great effortpost on Ixalan QD

Thank you! I'm just about to give this advice a whirl. Meanwhile, I also have to learn to do things by myself, so I did something I seldom do and went on a OTJ draft fully blind, heh. I got kinda locked into blue with Fblthp in the first pack and then Izzet with Kraum. Everyone kept passing me good (meaning, above common rarity) cards! I finally understand what it means to see a color 'wide open' In the end I had like 53 cards in the colors I wanted, and wondered "let's see what happens if I cut all commons" and I think it ended looking at least like a balanced deck! Anyway I lost the first match, haha. It was a bit drawn out though! But before going on I thought I'd ask if all of you can see something obvious to fix in this pile of cards:

https://mtga.untapped.gg/decks/AAQA...owICz5MucQAAAAA

Thank you!!