Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Ignoring drafts and spending all gold cracking packs is also a perfectly valid F2P option that has worked out well for me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

constructed wise doesnt seem like a very control friendly set or did i miss anything obvious? blue seems kind of bad in general and creatures are really strong. no real u/w finisher either.
I feel like Temporary Lockdown is the new Doomskar/Righteous Valkyrie in terms of "thing aggro decks hate to see on turn 3".

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

For my part a few games in and I feel like monored is SO nearly there - Lightning Strike, Phoenix Chick, and Shivan Devastator are solid additions but it's still missing a killer 2 drop or burn spell/combo finisher to really get there.
Radha's Firebrand appears to be pretty strong as far as 2 drops go.

no real u/w finisher either.
How do you feel about Haughty Djinn and Serra Paragon?

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Code for 3 boosters: PlayDMU.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I've slept on the Defiler cycle during previews.

Turns out that Phyrexian mana is still the most busted mechanic since Storm.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 1, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I know that the general wisdom is "don't rush to spend your wildcards on new stuff, wait for meta to settle down".

So I instead rushed to spend all my wildcards from new packs on OLD stuff that I've been eyeing for awhile: namely, all kinds of cool Zombies from VOW and MID.

Been using this list so far, still figuring out whether I'll stick with it, but it's been doing some solid work on Standard ladder today.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 2, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

Lol meanwhile I’m trying to make micromancer + vesuvan diplomacy good in standard, I feel like there has to be a combo deck in there somewhere and I wanna find it
The way I see it working has Zur as a key piece, with Kaya, Geist Hunter and Founding the Third Path as support.

Zur can animate a Duplimancy so that it will make more Duplimancies when targeted, and all of them will make more copies of their own with each cast, snowballing very quickly.
Kaya's -2 doubles all token making for one turn, which should be helpful to jumpstart the engine.
Founding the Third Path can recycle the 1-mana spells and/or let you play them for free. Can also be animated by Zur for copying action.
Micromancer itself can fetch key instants and thin the deck so that you can draw the rest of the combo.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Has anyone played much with Thran Portal in standard? I'm curious to start brewing some aggro builds and a universal fast land definitely seems good but getting pinged every time you use it (worse than pain lands) and etb'ing tapped after turn 3 seems bad.

Beggars can't be choosers when it comes to duals in standard so I guess my question is "if a deck would need Thran Portals are they worth crafting up to 3 of them or is the deck not worth building"
A good number of my opponents lost because they took too much damage from their Thran Portals. Trust them not.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Sheoldred is good and strong and my friend. Glory to Phyrexia.

everyone is playing the monob deck because it doesnt need rare lands and is mostly old cards while every other deck needs like 16 rare lands alone on top of everything else. people think its strong because discarding feels bad and its everywhere and maybe it is but its also like day 5 of the format
My approach to deckbuilding in general and monoblack in particular is "think of the cards that I absolutely hate to see my opponents play, then put those cards in my deck".

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 6, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

e:nvm

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 6, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

I feel like this deck might actually be a useful home for the recurring cultist guy.
The artifiact version would rather run another synthesizer or epicure, and he is too weak for the midrange version.
I'm also tinkering around with a Rakdos Sac Standard homebrew, and I decided to take advantage of the fact that Decayed makes you sacrifice the creature in question:

4 Cult Conscript
4 Unlucky Witness
4 Body Dropper
2 Weatherlight Compleated
2 Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia
3 Tainted Adversary
4 Bloodtithe Harvester
1 Braids, Arisen Nightmare
2 Garna, Bloodfist of Keld

4 Bone Splinters
2 Infernal Grasp
4 Ghoulish Procession

1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
9 Mountain
9 Swamp
1 Sulfurous Springs
3 Haunted Ridge

Cult Conscript and Ghoulish Procession work particularly nicely together.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 6, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

Lol meanwhile I’m trying to make micromancer + vesuvan diplomacy good in standard, I feel like there has to be a combo deck in there somewhere and I wanna find it
Try Vesuvan Duplimancy + Obscura Interceptor. The new Interceptor bounces whichever spell you've played back to your hand while digging through your deck, plus it has a better statline.

You get an army of 3/1s and 4/2s with lifelink, and if the opponent tries anything, you can burn a 1-mana cheap spell to bounce their stuff too. And once all those connives get to the second Duplimancy, it's pretty much a hard lock.

vv good point, run both

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 13, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

So far my Duplimancy deck has about a 5% win rate, but those 5% are the stuff of legends.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Hooplah posted:

goddamn it is tough out there in standard for a f2p'er. i'm so far from having the wcs for anything real in standard, but it feels like i'm the only one out here not playing a decklist copied from mtggoldfish and i'm being destroyed for it. it feels like i'm not allowed to have fun in standard until i build up a big enough pool of cards that i can just craft a full competent deck. how do you guys deal with this rat race? it's so overwhelming to think of the meta shifting and having to do it all over again
The new starting decks the game gives you these days are surprisingly strong, especially the werewolf one. I've made a fresh alt account recently, and with the freebies from the codes it was enough to get to plat so far.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought going up to 4 Elspeths may have been too much...

No, it's a pretty good number
That's a very delightful deck indeed! Any reason why you're not running any Inspiring Overseers in it, though? Given how well they work with Elspeth, Paragon and Giada, I thought they'd be a shoo-in.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

A Moose posted:

B tier is like half the decks in the format. Rakdos Sac, UW Control, Spirits, Mono-G, Jeskai Curiosity.
Are Angels a thing in explorer?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Sol'kanar deck has Vesuvian Duplimancy, which makes it the best deck by default.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Izno posted:

I am desperate to play some jank superfriends lists involving urza assembles the titans so if you've got something spicy please let me know.
It doesn't get much jankier than this.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Deck
12 Plains (SLD) 46
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Swamp (SLD) 48
1 Mountain (SLD) 49
1 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
1 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
4 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
2 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
2 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
4 Giada, Font of Hope (SNC) 14
3 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
3 Jetmir's Garden (SNC) 250
4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
4 Leyline Binding (DMU) 24
3 Archangel of Wrath (DMU) 3
4 Inspiring Overseer (SNC) 18
1 Xander's Lounge (SNC) 260
1 Ziatora's Proving Ground (SNC) 261
2 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
1 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
1 Liesa, Forgotten Archangel (MID) 232

Standard Angels: still pretty solid apparently.

Losses were to monored aggro topdecking a Shivan Devastator the turn before I stabilized, and monoblue control that had more counterspells than I had spells. Midrange opponents felt rather unthreatening in comparison. Manabase is a bit of a mess because I'm neither smart nor made of wildcards, but the idea is to be able to kick Archangel of Wrath more or less reliably and have cheap Leylines, while still being cognizant that it's a mostly white deck.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 29, 2022

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

FWIW, I'm currently on a 0-7 loss streak with that deck.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Ariong posted:

Back in my day we only gave out prizes to the people who were truly skilled at online wizard poker.
Bring back ante.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Time to play Farewell."

Seriously, though, what thing make Vesuvan go brrrr?
Math and exponential scaling.

The first spell that targets Mondrak creates 2 tokens for a total of 3 Mondraks on the board. The second spell creates 8 tokens, for a total of 11 Mondraks. The third spell hits the 250 creatures cap.

While it's not a reliable or competitive deck, at least it's a lot more consistent than my pre-Mondrak version:

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 2, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

One of the best things about Magic cards is how many different games and formats you can play with them. I'd even try those booster pack games if they added em to Arena. They should also let us play Texas hold em and go fish with our cards, translating CMC and color to number and suite.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

If we disallow roping then we don't get to do my favorite thing, which is rope people who don't have actual win conditions aside from recurring Depopulate every turn, because that's what I did yesterday.

Literally the only people I rope are people trolling.
I have an all-boardwipe deck for days when I'm feeling down and want to share the misery. Its win condition is the opponent realizing that they could have queued up five times in the time it takes to play a match against me and conceding.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I know that it's hardly optimal for Standard meta, but there is something to be said for the simple mindless joy of slamming down a T1 Champion of the Perished and proceeding to bury the table in an endless tide of hungry flesh.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

250 Mondraks is still one of the most fun win conditions in standard.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 13, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Thanks for the inspiration, put together a simple slime deck (4 Rubblebelt, 32 Slime, 24 Forest), and my first two opponents were playing some handrip bullshit and it was supremely satisfying to watch them pump up my slimes, as if they thought I might run out at some point. I wish there were more cards that actively punished rear end in a top hat strategies the way Slime Against Humanity punishes handrip and mill strats.
Can confirm, this worked wonderfully.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

One of my decks is a monowhite control with 24 board wipes and 12 regular removal cards.
The only win condition is the opponent realizing that they could've queued up five normal games in the time it takes to finish a single game and conceding.

It's called White History Month.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

fadam posted:

Hmm, would a Champion of the Parish with the any number clause be broken?
Unlimited Youthful Valkyrie would probably be a more balanced option.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Omni draft rules. Just draw a million cards.
But maybe not literally.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I can't even get into the game anymore, neither on PC nor on mobile. Tried reinstalling, flushing DNS, etc., but nothing works.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

flatluigi posted:

sounds like someone making poo poo up to force a meme

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I like untapped.gg bc they can just scan your collection and you can quickly see which decks you can build or can't of any given archetype.
Untapped.gg told me that I can build exactly one Standard deck out of my cards, and that it will have a 38% win rate.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The Abuelo combo works, but it's also vulnerable to instant speed removal killing the Spirit token, so keep some in your hand if you see Rakdos or Metamorph hitting the GY.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

flatluigi posted:

that doesn't matter, people would still try their hardest to make and play powerful decks as seen both on the unranked queue and the midweek events
The purpose of unranked queue is to get fast daily quest completion with cookie cutter meta decks, and thus free up more time about for complaining about meta being all cookie cutter decks.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Slime Against Humanity still works, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I always pick :( regardless of the match outcome.