Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Hello Thread, I don't post much but I wanted to say thanks for being entertaining (and lowkey informative, sometimes!) I did well in a BRO draft thanks to y'all's advice:

Took as much red removal as possible, but was very worried as was passing excavation explosion's in same pack as I took Unleash the Shell, Ramos, etc. Sure enough, Red was dry in pack 2, and I had no idea if there would be enough of one other color to pair, or if I would need a tri-color monstrosity.

Blast Zone and Sibling Rivalry both won games decisively, Heavyweight Demolisher won a couple but lost one hard when I didn't leave double red open after upkeep cost, Swiftspear and Roc Hunter both did work but probably my favorite card in BRO is Boulder Golem - drat did those give me room to get more closers online.

Curious what the thread thinks, since I'm rather new to playing MtG again - is this how you would have built the deck? I didn't think I'd finalize in green until I got more Golems/Goliaths in P3.

It worked out the way I ran it tho:

First trophy! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Hello thread! Struggled through a couple disheartening, tilting draft blowouts, going 0-3 with 2 seperate U/B decks in BRO that I thought might be okay (might get something like 17lands setup so the thread can laugh soon) and switched to see what Bo3 draft was like based on recommendations I'd read here. Drafted this monstrosity:

Forced junkyard genius from P1P1, opened Mishra P3P1 and was passed Gix P3P2.

I am curious if anyone would have built it differently, there were quite a few cuts I agonized over.

Went 6-1, the last match had some absolute nailbiter turns - but the highlight was sideboarding in my raze to the ground for final game, holding it all the way until the soldier deck finally played their Perilous Vault that I lost to previous game. Boom! Instant win! The Sideboard Works!!! I also learned you can Gix on their turn, when I almost decked the final opponent by taking so many cards off the top of their deck.

Also I think I realized the reason I'm doing well with Green or Red as base color for my drafts: they have 2 drops I like! Blue and Black together gets stuck with Thraxodemon or archaeologists and poo poo, and I'd rather have a bunch of 3/1's like Roc Hunter and Honor Guard to suicide march at the enemy. Does thread have a consensus that blue is weaker in BRO or am I just being stupid??

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Brawl in blue (and white):

I jam different Urza's in there and get to meld him sometimes, random BRO artifact creatures that make powerstones can help you use Tameshi for lots. I regret sending this information into the wild, already seen some mirror matches that are hilarious. Bringing back the auras does not target and using those two can neuter enemy commanders. I am doing standard brawl tho so I don't have a list for historic. Good Luck!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
All access brawl won't let me submit a deck with cards I don't own, lame. The "Submit Deck" button is greyed out for those decks, not sure what I'm missing.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think I ran into the same problem, and addressed it by rebuilding the deck from the all-access brawl page, otherwise it defaults to non-all-access brawl rules.

Thanks for this advice from several pages ago btw!!

Here is a Cube Draft bo1 I have from last wk, gotta finish it soon, probably play it like this but curious if anyone has any advice on the build? Can see how I speculated and am not sure overall on cube choices. I think run the Scarab God but not Bastion? Don't run Jin-Gitaxias??

Happy holidays thread!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Ultimatefire posted:

Cube Draft bo1:

Did way better than I thought I would! Never got to cast Approach of the Second Sun tho, which was my first pick and led me to white/blue, def could have replaced it with something more immediately impactful in the deckbuild. Felidar Retreat and Scarab God were MVP's, Shark Typhoon won me some mirrors since cycling is harder to counter. Lurrus didn't really get value from recursion but did draw serious hate - shoutout to when I ran Loran into death to recast and had to RTFC lol

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Fritzler posted:

I haven't been able to do any decathalon yet, but decided to do the Bo3 draft today. Got an easy 5-0 (I think I only lost 3 games) with a B/U Draw 2 deck. Hardest match against a sweet soldiers deck with Seige Veteran, Skystrike Officer and Adaptive Automaton. Will definitely have to try to get 2 more. I mainly play explorer when not drafting so that, and IDK what the third will be.

Will you post the deck? B/U draw 2 has totally mystified me in BRO draft, I've done more than one 0-3 thinking I had a decent deck with it.

For comparison, I got to take this sweet sweet draft out for a very fast 5-0 in bo3:

No idea what the rest of the table was drafting that I ended up with p2p5 excavation explosion(s). Sarinth Greatwurm + Visions of Phyrexia + Strongbull is absurd. Multiple games went "t1 Goblin, t2 trade goblin, play 2 more goblins, t3 mishra, sac, attk for 6, *opponent explodes in disgust*"

I must play Magic to experience what it's like to give swirlies to nerds in lab coats: Gruul 4 Lyfe!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Fritzler posted:

At the gym - will post when I get back. I P1P1 Gixian puppeteer and did not feel great about my deck before playing. Only 10 creatures and not the best curve, but I did have 3x trench stalker. Your decklist looks much better and I think would crush mine.

Thanks in advance!

My winning decks in BRO draft have been secretly reliant on Roc Hunter and Honor Guard and then bullying anything my opp has on the board w my 3/1's. Math is for blockers! Therefore I think I might also be making play mistakes in game as U/B, go figure *shrug emoji*

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Hello thread! Any advice on Kaldheim draft deckbuilding? I ended up with this and have 1-0 so far... but it was close, I curved perfectly w goldvein into runed helm+rune of flight, winning with flyers w 1 life left, while opp had drawn 10 more cards than me and had all colors of mana. Here's the Kaldheim advice I absorbed from threads past (even tho this is my first draft of it so Idunnno personally): black is shallow, you could maybe cut snow hard to end up with snow deck but not many in the pod, green and snow deck compete w playables but are different decks, goldvein + equipment can be a good deck...

I will endeavor to get a 17lands setup soon, so my draft skills can be roasted as well as my deckbuilding skills, but any advice appreciated!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
This format has had me really down, even when I get Gruul decks that feel like my jam, I feel like I'm missing lines that would cement wins. It does however do a very good job of communicating a brutal, aggressive hellscape, where the game can be decided in the first turn. I finally trophied with something limited, with an absolutely disgusting BW toxic deck. Only loss to a GR deck where I instant speed exiled their Nissa but the 6/6 token (plus other big beaters) was too much.

Absolute MVP was Skrelv's Hive: t1 Crawling Chorus into t2 Skrelv's Hive was brutal. Often closed games by swinging w 8 mites and a headcarver while opp on only 4 poison so far. Spent most games just waiting to be blown out by a Hazardous Blast, but luckily less common in Sealed than in Draft. Although the mite generation closed out the games, it was the lifelink on all the suicide toxic creatures that let me stay in most of the time.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Went 1-3 in Strixhaven draft w Silverquill + Lorehold, currently 5-2 w a Quandrix + Witherbloom deck that really made my brain overheat trying to make decisions drafting it:

Thanks to advice in the thread from years past recommending enviro sciences first pick, but I really miss the fractal summonings I had to pass.

Would anyone build this differently ? I'm looking at it now and I could maybe drop the black entirely, although Rise of Extus is equal parts uncastable and game-saving lol Am I correct in not running Tend the Pests or Infuse Vitality in this build??

Either way, it's a really cool experience to go from One to Strix, they definitively feel like different planes. Strix is so much slower and card advantage focused (seems like can still get blown out by white Eager First Yr + Combat professor pretty easily) whereas One just feels so locked into brutal gladiator deathmatch. I dislike the energy One makes me have in my mind, but I have to admit it's successful at differentiating from other sets in that way!

EDIT: Zephyr boots is a house, definitely makes games feel like "Harry Potter and the Star Quarterback that Solves All the Problems, While Everyone Else Just Watches". I won one game to my opp decking out 10 cards ahead of me, and I was churning plenty of card draw+discard! Incidental life gain helps w the sense of a different plane. .... I guess my opponents are sometimes letting me win, I don't know what it would look like at top level play lol

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 15, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Can thread plz relink the correct place to submit limited glitches and pray for reimbursement? Converting battles crashes my mobile client, can't get back in in time to cast the flip side :( losing games!!

E: in the first post, duh! Thanks thread!

Fyi my glitch was battles transforming locking up client - used Etched Host Doombringer to removed tokens tho, might be that specifically.

E#2: They refunded in less than 20 minutes, pretty appreciative of that ecosystem, I'm glad they aren't pointing out that I never would have made that back w my 0-3 5color ramp pile that had Sheoldred exiled once + exiled&copied another time and never saw my mythic Invasion of New Phyrexia once. Already spent the gems on another sealed and am doing better w just UW Flyers + convoke.

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 21, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

jpmeyer posted:

on that note, what did you send in your request? on desktop i would send my logs with the request but i didn't think you could do that with mobile

Couple pages back but I just described it and time stamped it approximately, I couldn't find any way to send logs from the tablet.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
After bombing out my first couple sealed runs, I listened to thread advice that UW knights is real during my first draft - actually I just got passed companions and wanted to represent. Ended up feeling disgusting as I ran over most competition, except for other, faster UW decks lol

I don't think I ever cast Yorion, despite holding him up several times. Despite feeling as a fast & momentum heavy set, it is also very mana hungry games, I often wanted to play a dude, and also have mana to represent protection + Lutri, which made for some very hard decision making. I did get to use Transcendent Message to draw a whole hand, one time hehe

Worked out in the end, and in the final boss game against GB I got to win off the back of a See Double allowing me to block their transformed Invulnerable Regisaur, copy their pump spell, and copy their xerex knight a couple turns before finale. Xerex paladin battle has been sicknasty on either side of the table too.

Seems like a format that will have some legs, lots of weird and crazy poo poo to do, as long as you remember not to get run over by "dudes + backup dudes + convoking more dudes"

E: I forgot that one of the 2 losses only came from a disc lol I'm probably not putting a ticket in for that, seems bad karma

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 28, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Ultimatefire posted:

After bombing out my first couple sealed runs, I listened to thread advice that UW knights is real during my first draft - actually I just got passed companions and wanted to represent. Ended up feeling disgusting as I ran over most competition, except for other, faster UW decks lol

I don't think I ever cast Yorion, despite holding him up several times. Despite feeling as a fast & momentum heavy set, it is also very mana hungry games, I often wanted to play a dude, and also have mana to represent protection + Lutri, which made for some very hard decision making. I did get to use Transcendent Message to draw a whole hand, one time hehe

Worked out in the end, and in the final boss game against GB I got to win off the back of a See Double allowing me to block their transformed Invulnerable Regisaur, copy their pump spell, and copy their xerex knight a couple turns before finale. Xerex paladin battle has been sicknasty on either side of the table too.

Seems like a format that will have some legs, lots of weird and crazy poo poo to do, as long as you remember not to get run over by "dudes + backup dudes + convoking more dudes"

E: I forgot that one of the 2 losses only came from a disc lol I'm probably not putting a ticket in for that, seems bad karma

lol definitely getting squished at light speed on my next couple drafts :D

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
This is the most fun I've had losing in a long time!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

babypolis posted:

1k SECURED

sadly the deck refused to cooperate on the last match and I lost to a fairly mediocre deck, oh well

deck 1

https://www.17lands.com/deck/027f853d64164d49a1b00fbfb9b3099b/3

a fairly decent UB deck. im playing some lovely creatures to make playables but it had enough value to secure 3 wins

deck 2

https://www.17lands.com/deck/6f3625d98dd5476f966b5110e12492d2/3

this was a more interesting draft. U and B were super heavily cut and I had to go into RW, the worst color combination. But somehow a fairly decent equipment came together and it was good enough to get 3 wins. Ravagan mostly died but it did win a game where it was played on turn 1 on the play. Hazoret didnt do poo poo and he can go gently caress himself

That second draft is a cool draft, taught me some stuff, I wouldn't have noticed the white pivot until the duneshaper pick 10 but you were already speculating for a few picks by then.

I think this is the set where vigilance has been most noticeable to me, from phyrexian's awakening, xerex strobe night, the 3/3 lancer, the backup vigi knight, just is really noticeable when vigi is letting people stay ahead (probably cuz protects battles, duh). Fun set.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Got to do the thing! With sheoldred scriptures lol

Only went 4-3 with the deck, even though it had 2 invasion amonkhet and rona + sheoldred. Losses were disconnect, turn 2 realmbreaker, and turn 3 chrome host seedshark. Definitely feels like it's settling into a bomby format lol

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
gently caress - I got my opponent to zero cards w Realmbreaker and Invasions of Amonkhet, but I forgot I had Horobi out and I copied a backup creature off the flipside and killed one of my own blockers and died at exact 0 with no cards left in their library.

Actually a sweet game for my opponent, shout out to having to kill their Invasion of Segovia as it flipped instead of intelligence checking them if they remembered to one side wrath with it (since I had Horobi out) leaving their Chromhost Seed Shark to run away with the game just in time.

hosed up, sicknasty, rocket fuel format! Losing never been so fun

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Proud of myself for pulling it together for this MoM:Aftermath draft! Deck was sick, the Aftermath cards don't feel as powerful on average, so the format is a little bit slower than MoM and you can get value a little easier.

Also having Lurrus AND Yorion opens a lot of value plays - one game I was able to Yorion and get a halo skaab + saiba cryptomancer trigger while also flickering Invasion of Fiora to wipe their board (and my little dudes)...then staring down a losing state a little later I was able to Ephara's dispersal my Yorion to get another Invasion of Fiora flicker wipe - I actually missed it in the attack phase and only had enough mana from the treasure from the halo skaab giving me back deadly derision earlier - this also reset the Marchese dmg by flipping it back and kept me from dying to my own ping!!!

More than once I was able to Halo Forager some straight bullshit, including topdecking the little shitbird faerie, playing a land, and having exactly 8 mana to forager their Sunfall - they had like 13 power on board and I had much less life than that.

Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive + Skittering Surveyor + Oracle of Tragedy won several games by themselves (Lurrus + Oracle is stuuuupid good)

I really thought originally I was going to end up W with black or blue, so this feels like I ran the draft portion and deckbuilding portion correctly, finally, choosing not to splash for Aegar or New Capenna, leaving Obosh behind - I was not sure if should play Obosh here, a lot of odd cards that it boosts but I wasn't in the driver's seat by damage in almost any game so, worked out!

Glad to enjoy losing AND winning this set!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Any advice for how to build this draft deck? I feel like I could switch it to UG for invasion pyrulea, splashing black. But also my build might be most consistent? Lots more fiddly bits w urn and surveyor and racer that I'm not sure whether or not I want. Should I try to splash Bruichlad?

actually I forgot I finally put 17lands on, so people can go through and do better than me outright: https://www.17lands.com/draft/a786099f4d14450f82c094fea67d2928

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Toozler posted:

I would punt the Protocol Knight and Flitting Guerrila and 2x Island for the BR Caves, a Mountain, Skittering Surveyor and Brudiclad.

elbkaida posted:

Definitely splash Brudiclad, card is pretty nuts. I'd cut Rona for Brudi but keep the spells the same. Maybe Surveyor for Freewheeler?

Thanks for advice, Brudi is in fact nuts. Only went 4-3, suffered from not having any topend removal, but won with some real blowouts that just curved perfectly :kiss: For how much I missed Amonkhet & Halo Forager in this shell, I consider that a good record!! (probably could have had a chance in last match if I mulliganed, whoopsie)

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Eight-Six posted:

I find Surge is way less useful post-Invoke Despair, and for some reason I haven't seen a single Brotherhood's End since then either

Doesn't this make sense tho? Brotherhood's End was great for threatening opposing Fables plus w Bankbusters in all decks it was never dead. Killing my own Bankbuster to get theirs was often a correct play. Plus less red now in general w.o Fable, and it was often used by decks also running Invoke, since it could winnow the count of small creatures and hit things Invoke would not.

I liked the gameplay in Grixis and Atraxa Domain w Invoke, Fable & Bankbuster. Winning on turn 2 because you instant speed Abrade their Bankbuster made me feel big brained, even when it took 10 turns more to wrap up. I haven't played those decks again now after bans hehe, now I just slam Illuminator Virtuoso + Ivy Spellthief & ruin anyone's day if they aren't packing interaction by turn 4.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Eight-Six posted:

The previous standard, when it was ending and that annoying azorious phasing Illuminator Virtuoso deck was around - I played that deck and loved it. Is it reasonably back in some form in Bant?

Audacity, Calix, New Danitha + Witness Protection all give it a little more legs and width against a variety of strategies. It's not like.... better than pre-ban Grixis with Fable and Invoke and stuff. But it wins games plenty if there's no interaction from the opponent by turn 4.

I'll post my version later in the day, it's too early to stay awake right now

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Ultimatefire posted:

Audacity, Calix, New Danitha + Witness Protection all give it a little more legs and width against a variety of strategies. It's not like.... better than pre-ban Grixis with Fable and Invoke and stuff. But it wins games plenty if there's no interaction from the opponent by turn 4.

I'll post my version later in the day, it's too early to stay awake right now

Here we go, herer's what I'm playing in bo1 queue, it's not resilient, if they get several kill spells early you just re-queue for another fight.

Turn 2 Illuminator into turn 3 homestead, audacity, combat research can give you a 7/5 dbl strike, trample, draw 2 if connect. Pretty funny if the other player plans to block at all!

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 12, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Might be the most proud in limited I've ever been (MoM bo1 draft):

Managing to get Lutri duplication on my Ral's reinforcements with mana up to do flipped Invasion Mercadia haste to everything... Bing bang boom, good game.

I'm going to miss MoM :(

EDIT: Another sick moment

If I Lutri at Lithomantic I can wipe 2 of his guys and recover my Invasion of Tarkir to get a third dude. I ended up finding the third mana late enough that I just Lutri'ed a Stoke for lethal tho.

EDIT2: just realized I speedran most of this at the last second and forgot to put on 17lands to track it, what a shame.

Here's the deck, absolutely ran over some people. Trailblazing historian was way better for me than anticipated, vengeant earth was sick pressure/removal when already ahead, Invasion of Tarkir was worth chasing red for as P1P1. God, can't believe I didn't record more of the matches. Turns out I got the draft recorded if anyone wants: https://www.17lands.com/draft/f6346f8ecf504a1ca1e3158a03167214

I did it MoM! I drafted like I know what I'm doing!!

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 20, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Chamale posted:

I'm playing a deck with Oko in the no-ban events, and he is hilariously good in a format where everyone is trying to play Ulamog and/or The One Ring. I just keep marvelling and wondering what the gently caress they were thinking printing that card for three mana

Having not played that standard, it just feels insane to read (after people warn you "this is the worst misprint since jitte/memory jar/necropotence") that his second ability ADDS loyalty. Like.... What??? I know that it's different to read in hindsight but. Might still be too crazy a card if that was -1.

Maybe if it "conjured" an aura that was Kenriths Transformation, so you had more options for counterplay to return your abilities to your cards, or something.

Edit: I guess ravenform doesn't make a splash, & Kenrith's transformation draws a card? So they have that ability costed as "you get paid for it". poo poo like that, & one ring, & ragavan... just rough to see every game decided by busted poo poo.

But what do I know, I was enjoying Invoke Despair before they banned it :shrugemoji:

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 24, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah TBH I'm really enjoying the no ban event. I don't care if sometimes I lose because they get the t2 Channel off, because sometimes I rip it out of their hand and watch them piddle around for a few turns before they accept the inevitable. And if I'm not playing against Channel then I get to play against some fun, busted Magic.

Stole the goons list from a page or two back and Ragavan/DRC/Thoughtsieze/Spell Pierce/Orcish Bowmasters vs "Channel: the Gathering" is pretty good times - won a couple by letting them channel down to single digits and then Lightning Bolt or Orcish Bowmaster'ing w some Eldrazi on the stack, pretty sick poo poo. Channel Eldrazi for 9 that draws you 5 and puts you at 5? Orcish Bowmasters for the game, thanks!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Jesus I just sat in a board stall for something like 7 turns, until I finally noticed that Mosswood Dreadknight & Vampiric Rites work together pretty decently if you have the mana for it.

Opponent conceded less than 2 seconds after I hit it for the first time, just waiting that whole time for me to figure out I can dig my way out.

Acceptable format, I guess.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
What's the website goons recommend for building+sharing limited decks? Thanks in advance!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
I trophied for WOE premier drafts!

Deck was handed to me starting with P1P1 Faunsbane Troll, ended up with 3 Gretas, which I deemed were 1 too many for practical reality. I ended up with way too much of what I thought was playable stuff to run it all, sideboarding Howling Galefang, Scream Puff, Vampiric Rites - I used the sealeddeck.tech website to look at GiHWR which turns out to be different than my instincts - Hopeless Nightmare outperformed the sideboarded cards for sure.

Fun Format, Green or Red seem the correct base colors since then there is treasure and fixing to splash 3rd color bombs with. Hopefully one day I learn to read signals and do well in a proper draft, instead of just having the lane given to me front and center - but for now, having the most fun gambling !!

Here's the 17lands data if anyone cares, I'm only in silver so some of the games I made some clever plays for blowouts that no one would take if it was higher ranks, lol https://www.17lands.com/draft/d90a0a8341f849aea8522663ad2df5d2

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Wouldn't The One Ring still be good if it was just... draw 1 card? Instead of draw cards = burden counters ?? Ugh

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

quote:

Wouldn't The One Ring still be good if it was just... draw 1 card? Instead of draw cards = burden counters ?? Ugh

Lone Goat posted:

congratulations you just designed Phyrexian Arena except way shittier

That's a great point! I guess I just take for granted that the "going immune" is the part that makes ppl play it so much right now. Against certain archetypes, it's essentially a Time Warp (obv actual Time Warp probably better).

Anyway you're not wrong... but also I think ppl would play phyrexian arena a lot more if it made you immune lol

Phyrexian Arena is playable as is, in like... some standard decks

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Yeah, someone already suggested what would fix it for me - burden counters attached to the player, not the permanent. Anyway, it makes sense that they feel like the best thing to release pushed in the LoTR set is the TOR. And if I was a designer I would end up designing a bunch of "lovely phyrexian arena" variants, totally by accident. They release, what, 2,000 unique cards a year now? Aren't they on unique game piece 35,000 by now? The last couple years are basically miraculous how on point they are.

I am also willing to complain about unplayable trash lol I know it's not always a very helpful position to hold hahaha

Just... Godamn. It wouldn't be hardly any worse if it was just "cumulative upkeep - 1 life"

I'm not even playing Historic, nor in paper at all. So I appreciate everyon in this thread able to talk me down and warn me that its not even format warping.

I am putting money that it'll eat a ban sometime tho

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
https://www.17lands.com/draft/3a8f74ca7aff4ff7b3609ddcd4874591

What does the thread think, is this a good draft for Bo3? I like green and so was sad to see p3p4 Hamlet and p3p5 Greta - I don't really like white, and I get shoehorned into Boros more often in Bo3, I feel like. Still, seems like the best I could have done, no?

Am 1-0 in matches so far... anything I am missing on the deck buildout?

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Murmur Twin posted:

I actually love this historic no-ban format, this feels like a broken deck from the 90s. Sacrificing Necropotence to bargain Beseech the Mirror feels incredibly dirty.

Winning with zero life is a fun experience!

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Premier Draft Eldraine, just had an opponent with only 2 blue open cast Ice Out to counter, without having to sacrifice anything?? Recorded it on 17lands, can anyone tell me what obvious thing I'm missing? It was only turn 5 - Ah... they had a Mocking Sprite. Well. I'm leaving this message up for future generations.

EDIT: Saving thread space to report a trophy in Premier draft! Even tho some things just fell into my lap this time around, I am very proud of choosing Candy Grapple P1P1 over Three Blind Mice as the rare. It is hard to not choose the rare, and thanks to this thread mentioning which commons they would take over bad rares, I ended up in the correct lane for my seat!!

I am, of course, in bronze/silver due to not having time to play much, and also being bad. So there were some hilarious throws in the matches I played, including people not able to count how many rats? And so just didn't block enough rats??

I dunno how people end up playing U/R in this format, Red is so deep as base but B and G are so much better I just... never end up in blue. Unless something went terribly wrong.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/ba7ba22c76174abab494aa325d3c1aaf Here's the data if anyone wants to critique

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 7, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Algid posted:

Definitely play archon's glory, probably over guide? I don't think I've ever seen that played, you don't really want your celebration payoff to be a 4 drop.

Simply Simon posted:

I don't like Courtier at all, at the moment you also only have 5 ways of turning it on. Yes, it is two things for Celebration, but I don't think it's worth playing - or picking fifth, I'd have taken Grapple there, just because it's by far the best card in the pack and can be splashed.

Before I get to the draft, you should play Archon's Glory - it's really good - Spearguard is also a great performer in the aggressive decks, I'd cut Tuinvale Guide (generally p bad), and probably Skewer Slinger. You can consider boarding in the second Sage and the Frostbridge Guard for matchups where you have to match their aggression, or where you feel like you have to win super quickly so you absolutely need a 2drop.

Apart from P1P5 as mentioned above:
P1P6: I value Cooped Up higher than the Bolt - cheaper, more synergy with your (projected) colors

P2P2: Neva isn't really good, I don't want to take her for a splash. I have been super happy with Return Triumphant, is my pick here
P2P7: I never want to play Savior. This is a spot where I pick up Guide, just in case I want to splash

P3P2: I assume this is a raredraft? I don't want to splash a 2drop (even though it's quite good). Rage is really good, my pick here
P3P5: Tough one. This is where I count my creatures and see if I can afford to pick a spell instead. You don't have any synergy with Celebrant except picking up the Mice or a Prism (if you play it), so Cut In is very attractive

Otherwise I'm fine with your picks and think you navigated the draft well!

Finally had time to come back to this and wanted to say thanks for advice! I 100% agree worst draft mistake was P3P2 taking Elvish Archivist as a raredraft over Monstrous Rage - Rage would have closed out some games ez. Missing Return Triumphant is second place mistake. Ran this based on feedback:

and sailed to a smooth 3-0 in Bo3. In retrospect, I feel kind of dense for asking for advice when running Virtue of Loyalty (holy moly what a stone cold bomb in limited!!), Regal Bunnicorn, Hearth Elemental, Imodane's Recruiter plus a few less impactful rares like the Boros manland (won me a game actually) and Three Blind Mice. But Archon's Glory stole me at least one game with exact lethal, so the thread saved me from myself for sure! But jesus, way more tense, technical options avail to Boros when you know you will eventually get Virtue online. Scariest part was casting the adventure instant summon knight on t2 into open blue mana, but it didn't get countered! Grabby Giant secret MVP common, reach saved my rear end, especially once Virtue counters started going on him.

I feel like in Bo3 I get pushed into Boros more, because it has less opportunity for surprise match wins so I assume is less contested (not that I feel like it's super contested rly in Bo1) and even tho I went 3-0 most of the games required me to pay attention, including winning the final at 2 life left.

In conclusion, this is a good set to draft and I enjoyed the experience, thanks for coming to my TedTalk! Here's the 17lands link:

https://www.17lands.com/details/3a8f74ca7aff4ff7b3609ddcd4874591

EDIT: Reflecting upon the games - I beat a Gruff Triplets in the winning match w.o much sweat so... definitely a better quality deck than some other limited builds I've lost with hahaha

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 11, 2023

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Jesus that's practically a block constructed deck lmao. NIce.

I didn't really get into limited until BRO recently, and one of my first trophies was with a deck w Gix AND Mishra, plus a bunch of staples like Strongbulls, Goblins, Junkyard Genius... looking back it's hard to give draft advice when it turns out it is "open busted mythics that pair with busted rares" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Playing Standard Bant Beanstalk Domain in a Bo3 mirror, opponent has more ramp and I have more counterspells. Game 2 I see his sideboard tech - - and was short enough on lands I couldn't deal, the ward was brutal. Tried to Lay Down Arms but as I was short on lands I did not in fact have 7 Plains on the board, nor the extra 4 for aforementioned ward. Game 3, the opponent gets to see my sideboard tech - - which is hilarious in the mirror! Play a Leyline of Binding? Nothing happens! Your own Beanstalk?? Too bad! He quit after Invasion of Zendikar was the third permanent with no ETB.

In other matches I'm having my Leylines Stroke of Midnight'ed. I am glad to see some of the uncommons putting in work these days. I feel like - - is something I always wanted to have work..... but Farewell is just better, and can still be played, in all the decks that could run the green one.

EDIT: Oh... uhhhh, is there a way to do the thing I'm trying to do, with spoiler'ing images, without it ruining paragraph formatting? I've made something ugly today :(