Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kashuno posted:

when does DMU go up on arena? Tomorrow?

Yeah Thursday 8am ish Pacific, after server downtime and then the client will be buggy as gently caress all day like it is every set release lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Huxley posted:

Arena download site: https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena
Trad Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979741
Daily MTG: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles
Discord: https://discord.gg/zg6fDFU
Deck overlay/collection tracker: https://mtgarena.pro/
Card database: https://scryfall.com/
Deck ideas and meta info: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/
Less-proven/currently brewing deck ideas: https://twitter.com/ArenaDecklists
Competitive reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/
Currently active promo codes: https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-promo-codes/
Submit a ticket (for reimbursement after something you paid for breaks): https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Probably should have the following:

Limited deck recording, tracking and replays https://www.17lands.com/
Deck Overlay (good one) https://mtga.untapped.gg/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

gems in the store today

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

Top Commons in no particular order:

Kind of a short list, everything afterwards is pretty contextual.

Good luck, have fun!

Great post as always lil munch

White, Blue, Red all look great and black's commons fall WAY off a cliff after Extinguish the Light and Phyrexian Rager. Green also exists I suppose.

I caught a few streams yesterday and UR with all the pieces looks real good, I guess we'll see how contested it is. Get on it while the getting is good.

I think taking off-colour lands for kicker will be a mid-pack priority once you setlle into your deck. The power level of commons is real flat aside from a couple standouts and a lot of the power is in the kickers, it's like half a gold set.

Aside from UR and maybe some Wx decks, it doesn't look like it's going to be a very aggressive format, you might have some time to fart around and play 3-5 colour soup, DIVINATION IS BACK BABY but you'll still have to actually play to the board.

quoting myself from the last thread

Lone Goat posted:

It's gonna be real drat funny if both NEO and Domu end up being better 3+ colour draft formats than Capenna

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

These are my tier two black commons that i think look pretty good (last two only if you can kick them). I don't see the giant haymakers and insane value engines like we've seen in the last few sets, so cards that are just good at attacking/blocking are going to be more valuable than they were in innistrad/kamigawa/capenna.

I dunno, aside from the kicker cards those look like the fillerest fillers that ever filled a deck. Bone Splinters and Gibbering Barricade look like stealth WB cards and cute in GBx with the 0/2 land finder defender. UB just looks like a random control deck that can win with any idiot big creature so you just want more removal and card draw and everything in between doesn't matter. RB uhhhhh I don't even know.

Black doesn't seem like it has a strong identity this set so you're just pairing what works with your main colour

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

waloo posted:

So everybody is just trying to forget about Riveteers, Brokers, Maestros, Cabaretti, and Obscura? Were the Streets of New Capenna really so traumatic?

You'll likely never hear those words again once we leave Capenna, just like we never talk about Ketria, Zag...oth? and whatever the other 3 triomes are.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

So is sealed like draft except instead of picking and passing packs it just throws a bunch of cards in your face? I have a bunch of gold saved up and was tempted to try it.

Yeah in sealed you just get 6 boosters of cards to make a deck out of, rather than drafting a pool and making a deck out of that. Good way to dip your toe into limited, since draft is pretty overwhelming to start.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #3

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b2b00654381b443895ef9d0681438c33
I'll play this one tomorrow. Opened Balmor in a pack with Urza Assembles the Titans as the rare, so I thought I would try to force Izzards again. (Maybe Fires of Victory was the pick there?) This one seems a bit less consistent than my previous one, fewer cheap instants, fewer amplifiers, and also no mythic dragon lol. But Baird + Balmor synergy seems potentially good? I remember in SNC the warnings about having too many different gold 2-drops but I probably want to play Balmor and Baird later anyway. I will probably not use Sylex correctly lol, warping my gameplay around a sweeper always has me making more bad decisions than usual

If you want to play the UR deck then instead of taking random off colour garbage like you did in pack 1, you want to take the cantrips like Joint Exploration, Impulse, and to a lesser extent Thrill of Possibility

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which were the random off color garbage cards in pack 1?

Keldon Strike Team was red at least and it seems playable. I should probably cut Stenn though, I might have to play Volshe Tideturner I guess?

Picks where you took a random off colour garbage and what I'd have taken

p1p4 Impulse
p1p11 Impulse
p2p1 Timely Interference
p2p2 Geyser (Meria's Outrider isn't off-colour but def not what you want for this deck)
p2p3 Picker or Thrill
p2p6 Bellow
p2p9 Drake
p2p10 Impede Momentum
p3p1 Scatter or Timely (they both wheeled lmao)
p3p8 Drake

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

First draft

Insanely open Grixis. I'm quite happy with the deck. Still lost the first game (only one so far) because they just had a bit more gas in the tank, key removal and then ultimately won in the air. But the game was fun!

Still open for suggestions of course

Cut Impede Momentum for Phyrexian Espionage. I also want to find room for Gibbering Barricade as a good blocker, maybe instead of Haunting Figment or 1 Shore Up?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Have they added the feature to chose a land type as default?

not yet

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

It's not. Burn Down the House is straight-up better, there's almost no use case for a 7-mana sweeper that only deals 5 damage even if it keeps your planeswalker around, especially when Farewell exists, does the same job better, and costs 1 less.

Charlie saw it played in limited, seemed decent there

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Finally got around to my first draft, and I think I might have peaked too early

7-2 in silver/gold.

Here's the draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/196b0330f48e4adf87d77fc3933e17c7, p2p3 should have been Phyrexian Emissary.

If you want to see something really funny, look at my first loss under Details.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's specifically your constant high and mighty condescension towards me that would be the most likely thing to make me stop posting entirely, but you can settle for putting me on ignore I guess

you've done 8 drafts, tell us what you've learned

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Did anyone manage to work out why some of the mastery track levels are glowing green?

I think normally you'd not get anything at those levels, but they're bonus rewards and the green aura represents they're from the Renewal Egg.

Hail Egg

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Eej posted:

Actually 2 colours is cool and good too

How was Karn? Every time I see it, it looks both immensely mediocre but also must kill?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Eej posted:

So he's really bad if you can't defend him but if you have board and play him you can just crank out stones if you have a card to play and if you don't -1 to dig X for gas. Otherwise he's an incredible top deck when you have lands because you can immediately -1 to dig 2-3 for actual answers and they have to deal with him or you'll just keep drawing good stuff while filtering out lands.

Yeah that makes sense. Whenever I saw Karn on screen it was usually him going + + + every turn and eventually dying so he was just a sloppy lifegain spell, but also you can't really ignore him because if he gets to ultimate it's 3-4 damage every turn off the power stones just blasting your entire board.

Don't think I ever saw anyone use the middle ability, but he only gotta played by opponents on the streams I watched. He's not good on a board where you're behind so the steamers I watch weren't willing to pick him highly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I really want to draft the UR aggro spells deck but it just never seems open at my seat. How're folks getting into that deck?

they take the UR cards when it's open

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Finally came down from the high of that Defenders deck last week and had another draft.

Draft

My copilot bullied me into taking Defiler of Flesh p1p1 but luckily blue was WIDE open and I was able to cut it from the deck. Blacks common permanents are mostly garbage, -Phyrexian Rager is the only one that's any good and even it isn't performing well this format- so Defiler doesn't really do much except be an unexciting big medium dummy most of the time. I'd have taken Prayer of Binding if my buddy wasn't hollering about it.

Followed up with Phyrexian Rager over Aether Channeler partly to stay black but mostly to have some great complaint equity if I lost because of the bad card I was forced to take p1. Did I tell my friend "we're gonna lose and it's going to be your fault and we can draft again"? Maybe. Funniest thing is Channeler would have been a much better pick for our eventual deck, with or without the Defiler in the deck.

Very tempted by Chappie p2p1 but neither of the black walls I passed in pack one wheeled so I decided to stay the course. There were a lot of tough picks midpack but it felt like nobody else was in blue, and definitely not in blue/black so we got some gifts late in each pack. Essence Scatter p2p11 was absurd.

I can't say that the final build was correct. Choking Miasma ertainly should have been in the deck. I kicked Battlewing Mystic a couple times but I also looted them away multiple times, and in a slightly more variant world they'd have looked embarrassing. Mana was mostly good but there were some turns where I wanted BBB and didn't have it.

A note about Academy Loremaster: Normally this card is awful but my deck had loads of instants and especially 3 Essence Scatters, and I had a couple games where I played her on turn 2 and just drew and made land drops and passed with instants up, then eventually traded it off when it no longer benefitted me. Game 3 is a great example of what you're trying to do with it.

Games were pretty straightforward, some good clean control deck action where you pass the turn and do nothing, waiting for your opponent to take actions and then pounce on them. You can't see it in the replays but one opponent Your Go'd me on turn 2 and I beat the absolute gently caress out of them, very satisfying.

Result: 7-0 in gold

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Would somebody help me make 3 cuts please? Also lmao at being I think the only player on black out of 7

https://www.17lands.com/deck/69c99e3cdf694f71b47f71e84a8ff31a

If anything I want to bring more cards in! The second Urborg Repocession is really good, as is the Shadow Prophecy is really good oh wait that's a Sulfurous Spring not the dual land.

Cards I don't like are Aggressive Sabotage, some (all?) Balduvian Atrocity and some 2 drops? I get the Eerie Soultenders are there for the cleric lord, not sure how many of them I like here since your tutor targets aren't spectacular.

Looking at your draft I wished you had lot taken a lot of BGux cards going by, especially dual lands.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

During the streamer prerelease CGB said "Watch the auto tapper with pain lands, it will kill you." and sure as loving poo poo I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the loving auto tapper

Even just with duals in limited I've seen people get massively owned by the autotapper, multiple times in a game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Death of Rats posted:

No, I've had that bug too but since it's only visual I haven't claimed against it unless it hosed my draft up in a notable way (so, being unsure which card I took when it matters for synergy reasons). Thanks for the heads up though.

This is literally a card disappearing from the pack, and crucially still being on that pack. Screenshot below:

Sometimes hitting the home button top left and coming back to the draft fixes those visual bugs, but I'd understand not wanting to risk it when you're under the pick timer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Carillon posted:

I swear I draft removal, but it's been 7 games now over 3 different decks that it just doesn't ever show up. It sucks when I lose to someone with 2 tail swipes and a top decked bite down and I'm sitting here with all my removal apparently in the last half of my deck. It's not like I don't have some myself! Just aggravating when it keeps happening.

show us the deck

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

I have seen 1 post asking if Sheoldred deserves a ban.

Was it from a poster who always whines for a ban whenever they lose to a card? Some people are just like that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

True, but that was at least as much due to the companion rule change. Ramping to 6 and hitting at least 1 Spark Double was kinda funny and not a bad board position for turn 4. making it cost 9 was too much though.

My memory might be off but I felt Gyruda fell off way before the rule change.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Moose posted:

Might be. I guess I don't remember that well either. It was definitely a week 1 stand out I guess. Ikoria came out May 15, and the rule change was june 1

It was out on Arena a month before that, I have 17lands logs from mid April. There were bigtime supply chain issues at the start of covid lockdowns that delayed paper release outside of Asia, I think? So there were a lot of results online before people even got hands on the cards.

But yeah people have freakouts about every single card that looks remotely playable in the first four days of grinders slopping it up on Arena ladder, some of them post in this thread. I'll wait to see what the pros actually do with the cards if/when there's an event that good players are at (ie, NOT crokeyz).

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

Am I a scrub or is Salvaged Manaworker an awesome include in this format? There aren't that many great two drops, its colorless, the 3 toughness is relevant and the mana fixing is great. I've found having one in my decks is super nice, almost always.

If you're really desperate for mana and you didn't see the lands you needed it's endurable fixing, but no it's not great.

e: lol yeah what everyone else said

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

wei posted:

If anyone has any interesting sealed pools or just want an opinion please feel free post them, I need practice for an RCQ this weekend.

Here's what I had, let me know what you ended up with

https://sealeddeck.tech/s1Heia0bld

I put together this after 10 minutes of poking around https://sealeddeck.tech/HtgPHRBXsd

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

Any advice on this draft pool?

Kind of an embarrassment of UR riches, including 5(!) Lightning Strikes (probably could have passed up the last one, to be honest). Was hoping for another Wx dual land but never got it. Should I bother including the Serra Paragon, or is it the casting cost too onerous for a splash?

Don't have time right now to do a full breakdown but you misbuilt this deck by at least 6 cards, please don't play it without getting further advice (I might have time in a couple hours if nobody else gets to it)

e: NO do not splash paragon

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

wei posted:

This was a really interesting one, thanks!

My initial thoughts were to go Green https://sealeddeck.tech/UxBF4PyO98. Quirion Beastcaller and Guardian of New Benalia (and Squee!) are the top 3 OH WR cards on 17lands, so you potentially have a very explosive early game. The manabase is a bit sketchier but there should be enough early plays with 14 W or G sources. Relic's fixing is good enough and it's cute with Zar Ojanen. I also end up with less interaction but it's still a decent amount? Possible that Lightning Strike should be second Geyser because we have so many blue sources.

Also looked at this rough WBx build https://sealeddeck.tech/oot1qEZSdf because there's a decent mill package and Bone Splinters there but I think WGx and UWx are both better.

Yeah I tried a WG base since I had the two uncommons but going deeper on those colours with the Junipers and Sentrys and splashing other colours less (no Ertai, Squee, for example). Why only play one each of Lightning Strike or Tolarian Geyser?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Draft

Opened on the boat because it's really good with ETBs and I wanted to try it, next best card is Elas but I wasn't interested in committing to BW on p1. Took some good ETB creatures but then pivoted into red for extremely late Fires's of Victory and Lightning Strike in pack 1. I passed a lot of good UR cards while taking my own - pack 8 I take Fires of Victory and pass Battlewing Mystic, Essence Scatter, and two other lesser red cards - so good UR cards don't really show up in pack 2. UR is back on the menu in pack 3 so I'm guessing a couple seats to my left is UR but nobody else. p3p7 Battlewing Mystic maybe should have been Tolarian Terror? The kicker on Mystic is cute but I probably should have just taken the beef. Not enough ETBs in the deck to play the boat, gonna have to wait another day to get my Argussy ate.

Looking at my losses:

Game 3 was incredibly close and I'm still not sure if I can find a line where I win. Turn "15" I'm priced into trading every turn and making it a topdeck war, and my opponent just barely edges me out.

Game 5 I gently caress up bad by kicking Timely Intervention to force my opponent to block my creature with their 2/2... but Flowstone Kavu has menace so they don't have to block. If I don't waste my mana I can Shorp the 3/1 and can save my Fires of Victory to kick it instead of having to kill things off sooner, leaving me in a far better position for the mid to late game. Instead, I take unnecessary damage on the following turn and die to exactsies with Essence Scatter in hand to two pump spells on a single Battlefly Swarm. Very winnable game that I spewed off.

Game 7 is the mirror and the opponent basically has a better version of my deck, they get an early Electrostatic Infantry and make sure to protect it. I'm forced to play aggressively and they weather the storm, then out card me at the end of the game.

Result: 6-3 in Gold/Plat, the trophy streak is over.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

Need a bit of sealed help here. Here's a pic of my pool:

Link to the deck text

Blue is absolutely the star color of this. 4 Soaring drakes, Haughty Djinn, Deflier, two Tolarian Terrors and a couple of counters. Black is weak, so is white and green, but red also has solid use. Biggest problem is I got some bombs such as Shanna and Nemata but they dip into the weaker colors and no mana fixing. Sadly I can only choose one. What would be the best color for this pool?

For the future, you can just paste that text string into https://sealeddeck.tech and it'll spit out a deck for you, and then hit publish to get a custom URL like this: https://sealeddeck.tech/zsJTACPNeQ

Much easier for people to work with than an image or text dump.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #16

https://www.17lands.com/draft/40ded70c4bd34875aec0f4073795514a

I guess the main question on this one is how many Destroy Evils and how many Take Up the Shields do I play.

Bonerattle seems worth splashing for Chaplain recursion and Mons on power level? Single pip commitment with 2 vinewalls and the search spell seems reasonable.

I don't feel tilted but I don't think I will play this until tonight just to be sure

In your 80ish games so far, have you ever seen Mons be good?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm, I saw it kill Jim Davis once but the stats are pretty bad. It's like Tori and Najal, it seems that cluster of 4-drop golds are trap cards? I guess I could cut it.

I guess I could also cut the defenders but I just can't see Snarespinner actually being good? I guess if I do that it would improve Strength of the Coalition

Edit: Yeah these are all sub-55...

The defender package is fine, you want clutter on the board for Phalanx and they're all card advantage anyway.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hope is that I hit something with 61% to draw in the next two turns and curve out?

Maybe it seems obvious to mull but watching streamers repeatedly land pass turn 1 and 2 unpunished and Jim Davis keeping this exact hand configuration while saying "people mulligan too much" made me think it was more on the bubble lol

If you draw a two drop are you going to refuse to block with it until turn 5 so that you can play Phalanx?

This hand needs TWO cards (or Argivian Cavalier) to curve out, not one. Your odds are way less than 61%

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Boxman posted:

Anyone feel like looking at this draft? I posted about the first picks earlier, ended up at 5 wins (but I'm in shitter tier, so it doesn't mean too much).

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d4435a5471f543ba829d1378c0679e65

I feel like GB was open - starting with pick 8, I got a tear asunder, Soultender, Sojourner (which is sorta whatever in this deck), and then a Bonerattle wheeled. A Loamspeaker P3P5 certainly convinces me there was no one to my right in green, but the deck just didn't come together perfectly. A little clunky and slow. I thought 2x Miasma would carry me through the quicker games, and they did help, but it wasn't enough.

Play wise, I know i screwed up here and there. I get greedy with tricks a lot, and I just straight up did the math wrong resulting in a loss at one point.

Urborg Repocession is the best card for your deck and you kept passing it for stuff that doesn't matter

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

MasterBuilder posted:

Not saying shuffler is rigged but opponent also had milled a parhelion with a stitcher's supplier, and had greasefang along with those 3 Lili, and thoughtseizes in their top 16.

wow what are the odds of that???

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

dingo with a joint posted:

Can someone please explain to me the set difference between Explorer and Historic? Most of my collection just rotated out of being Standard legal, and I'd assumed I'd be able to play it as-is in Historic. No, turns out Historic is Alchemy+, not Standard+. Instead, there's this thing called Explorer that contains all my Kaldheim cards as-is, and it's like Historic, but not quite. And I can't for the life of me work out what that "but not quite" amounts to. Which sets are Historic but not Explorer? Or is it not as simple as that? And am I just being a stubborn dumbass by refusing to accept the Alchemy version of Magic into my heart?

If you had a legal Standard deck that isn't legal in Historic, then you probably have cards in your Standard deck that got "adjusted". Historic is Alchemy+, but whenever you get a Standard card you'll get the adjusted version as well. So, for example, if your Standard deck had Luminarch Aspirant or Goldspan Dragon, then you'll need to replace them with the alchemy (nerfed) version of both those cards for Historic. You already own these cards, look for the ones with the Arena Symbol before their name (eg, A-Luminarch Ascendant, etc)

Historic is -roughly- every card on Arena, with a ban list, and including Alchemized versions of cards rather than the real versions.

Explorer is the Arena-equivalent of Pioneer, a paper format that starts at Return to Ravnica and includes all cards from that set forward. It follows whatever is legal (not banned) in Pioneer, and also Tibalt's Trickery is banned.

And to your final question, yes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Urcher posted:

I'm new to drafting and feel like I don't have much understanding of which cards are good.

little munchkin posted:

Next draft, open up 17lands card ratings beforehand and spend the first few picks picking out 3--5 cards that look good and checking out their stats (game in hand is the best number to look at). A lot of cards play out differently from how they read and if you're not sure, you don't have to be guessing.

The 17lands stats page is overwhelming at first, I'd recommend https://www.limitedgrades.com/dmu which takes the win rates and converts them to a letter grade. Also, Dominaria United is a highly synergistic set, so the raw stats might not tell the whole picture. For example, Wingmantle Chaplain is the 4th winningest card in the entire set, but you have to properly draft your deck around it to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Urcher posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone.

What's the best easy to check card stats? Alt-tab, ctrl-f, type card name? Or is there some trick to it I'm missing?

No good trick, just what you said.