Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This seems to be prevalent in societies with less welfare and more inequality. Which IMO is the root cause. Also why it's annoying when old conservatives comaplain about violent youths and vandalism, when they made society that way in the first place by voting conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

Its fascinating how saying capitalism is the problem gets responses like you are a swivel eyed loon (i wonder if that phrase is ableist now honestly)
But if you say "greed" and "bosses getting huge bonuses" everyone immediately agrees.

Comes back to the old saying The problems are bad, but the causes? The causes are very good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rustybear posted:

it's set by a simple average of a basket of European reference prices or some such but is currently being dragged up massively by gas yes

perhaps it's a genuine oversight but it seems mightily convenient to me

Well renewables are closely linked to natural gas for the next 2-3 decades at least, you will need lots of that to run renewable based production to make up for the intermittency issues. Or some other form of energy which can be quickly ramped up and down. Which for now is basically natural gas.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sweden has been a neoliberal place since the 90s and just kept going rightwards. They're far to the right of Finland and Norway who border it.

Here you can read more about the fall of Sweden:
https://pivic.blog/blog/swedish-greed-seen-through-andreas-cervenkas-eyes/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Even people in sweden, centrists and right wingers in particular think of Sweden as this ultra-leftist hell hole that's just one step away from full communism. Despite they've gotten almost all the politics they desire implemented in the last 30 years and society has seen a huge rightward shift (hummm wonder if that has anything to do with all the social problems that has arisen in sweden since then....). They act as if it's still the 70s or 80s and Olof Palme will rise from his grave any second now and tax them poo poo out of them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, 34 (she was 33 when Andrew was born, so I'm guessing) looked a LOT older then than now.

This is actually a thing, vsauce!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqt8T3tJIE

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DesperateDan posted:

also everyone was an alcoholic

can't forget the wonderful effects of constant exposure to leaded petrol fumes too

Also a healthy does of mental tricks of perception.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some people just look old, so that can be selection bias. I was in the army (conscription) at age 20 with a guy a year younger than me, he looked 50. I remember that guy because of his appearance and also because of his resistance to cold. He froze to the ground one time when on guard, just sat on the ground in freezing weather.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This guy REALLY loving hates renewables, holy poo poo.

Like, he's not wrong about some of the issues surrounding them but you can feel the hate dripping off every sentence when he's forced to talk about them.

Didn't get that feeling myself, just felt like an honest assesment to me, without pulling any punches. The days of cheap energy are coming to an end, well they're gone already.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ze germans don't pull any punches

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tomberforce posted:

It's market failure. I have an off grid solar house in Victoria, Australia (cold and cloudy by Australian standards, probably similar to UK south coast) My solar system has provided 4800kwh of power so far this year and I haven't paid a power bill in 3 years.

The house is obviously more optimal than the average UK house but solar could be a hugely useful power resource here, especially with the electrification of transport.

You can't extrapolate from your off grid home to all of society though, most of europe can't rely on solar power for half the year even if every house had solar panels (and there are environmental issues with that idea too). And when you bring in electrification of transport and other things, that makes the problem a magnitude worse. There's no way hosé we're gonna run anything like our current society on renewables without magic level energy density storage. This is why everything is falling apart now, renewables never worked in europe unless paired with natural gas (there are no storage solutions remotely on the horizon that can get rid of nat.gas, no not even that latest youtube video on the issue) and when that went up in price everything else fell down.

We have five solutions for returning to something like what we've become used to and none are coming soon:

-Natural gas becomes cheap again
-Nuclear fission is built out massively (decade+ away)
-Nuclear fusion (decades away)
-Cheap mass scale storage (I think this one is further away than fusion or about in the same ball park)
-Geothermal (If millimeter wave drilling works out this is the one to watch in a few years).

So the next decade or so is gonna be about saving energy, unless we start buying russian gas again.

edit, also a thread on the bad shape of the european energy grid:
https://twitter.com/BurggrabenH/status/1567929340737863680

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 20, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I worked with someone yesterday who went to see The Coffin.

Apparently she said she had a moment of realization as to why the gently caress did she pay for a ticket down to london to stand in line to see the loving dead queen when she's the one who's skint, but then apparently rationalized it as "it makes money"(???)

She's a bit mental.

I bet it makes money, but for whom? Not her!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hopegfully this will at least discredit the right and right wing economic ideas a little?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

In light hearted news, lead singer of the Stone Roses turned up to his gig half-way through the designated set time without a band https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1574344515053408256

I honestly don't know who this is or why it's funny. Is he a chud who fell out with the rest of the band or something?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Local news says 200,000 brits refuse to pay power bills, experts fear it could spread. I kinda hope it does even though I am sitting comfortably even with the higher prices.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

The first thing I changed in my house was moving the radiator in the kitchen, which was placed at the far end so that the only part of the room that it heated up properly was the fridge.

Still need to do something about the one in the bedroom that's behind the curtains, providing a perfect boiler-window heat transfer without ever having to interact with the room, currently just tucking the curtains behind it when it needs to be on.

Absolute brainlet central heating install.

Speaking of central heating design, here's a different take. We visited some relatives who where back in Finland last sunday (moved to Sweden in the 1970s), they come a few times every year since they own my grandfathers fathers old house which is a small 90-100m2 house way out in a rural area. I don't think I've been there in 20 years. But I was struck at how well designed the house was from a heating standpoint.

Basically four rooms on the bottom floor, kitchen and living room and two bedrooms. Kitchen and living room basically one room. Everything is built around the center of the house which is made up of a massive chimney stack. The kitchen area has a wood stove for cooking, the living room has an open fireplace, the bedroom has a masonry heater. They kept the place at a sweltering 25C without using a single kWh.

Just a sensible and cold tolerant design and warms every room in the house. A twist on "central" heating. Modern houses are better insulated, but older designs have such a practicality about them. And longevity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You don't want to look into the air pollution effects of wood-burning stoves then...

Wood burning produces lots of invisible particulate matter when burnt, even dry wood, that is damaging to the lungs and a major cause of respiratory diseases and heart failure. It certainly beats freezing to death, but gas heating is alot healthier than wood burning and a worthwhile upgrade, even if a wood fire is cozy.

I know all about that actually and it's not really a problem with a good burning setup and particularly not in a non urban area.

I know most firewood stoves outside the nordics are polluting inefficient shits so I can understand someone not from here would have a different view.

Going from a local renewably sourced fuel to a fossil fuel is absolutely the worst thing I could imagine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not worried in the slighest, europe is full of old crap and bad designs, even a lot of modern stoves are pretty bad. The air quality in Finland is measurebly one of the best in the world and the air consistently measures low particulates and pollutants, despite most homes have firewood stoves here.

When a firewood stove works properly you don't get smoke or particulates, just a heat haze. That's basically what a 19th century kakelugn is capable off so it's not modern tech. But most of the world never had a need to be efficient with firewood like we did up here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rustybear posted:

also finland has very nearly the lowest population density in europe, 17x lower than the UK

Well yes, I did qualify my statement earlier by mentioning I was talking about non urban areas.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Color me skeptical to those claims anyway...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Not at this rate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm gonna build the other half of the door to my shed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I can only hope the streets become too unsafe for tories to walk them soon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Answers Me posted:

From what I’ve seen about Linehan it’s not his views that have gotten him ‘cancelled’, it’s being a whiny dickhead who’s harassed everyone he once had a relationship with.

That and he’s basically joined a cult, but hasn’t realised it. Oh, and torched his entire life almost entirely due to a crippling Twitter addiction, which I find morbidly fascinating to watch for some reason

Someone needs to go to his house and scraem "Just log off!". For his own good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm all for compressing tories until they undergo nuclear fusion.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jollity Farm posted:

Gove is a "unifier" in that he is friends with all the British media establishment.

Also a link between sea and land as well as different phylums.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

kecske posted:

I don't think Vanced is supported anymore since Google cease-and-desisted them. The final apk is still available though.

I use the adblock browser and access the site through it. The ads where loving unbearable in the app and I bet it's only gotten worse in the year since.

Sometimes the full screen option is buggy in the browser though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jrmblrmby Crblrn!

Wowels are capitalist.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guess people will have butter their own bread at home now

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just stick it in the toaster frozen and give it a minute or so until it's very lightly toasted. (This also allows you to spread butter without ripping the bread to pieces.)

I have a trick for this. I buy butter in blocks instead of tubs, then I use one of these and slice of a bit of butter off the top like it was a piece of cheese. My granddad did this so it's from him:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Never knew this thumbsup business and I will now proceed to remove the knowledge from my brain 👍

Turning into

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The DPRK posted:

Really enjoyed listening to this today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViY-zI3b5JQ

Payndz posted:

Don't suppose there's a transcript of this anywhere? I don't have an hour and a half free to listen to a podcast. :smith:

Here's a sort of transcript, it's an article that says basically the same thing
New Statesman - paywall breaking link

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

VLOOKUP is a pretty powerful tool.

One of the most infurating things about Excel though is that depending on your system locale, the way you type forumlas changes. So what you find in an online tutorial might not be how it works in your own system. Probably most english people never notice it. If I recall correctly this made formulas not work in an excel file made on another system when it opened in my workstation, if the locales where sufficiently different, like US to Finland.

All the commas in the formula for instance has to be semicolons here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

kecske posted:

please accept my humblest apologies for bringing up m*crosoft e*cel, the second most boring derail topic behind tedious military history minutiae

What if you used excel to keep track of all these minutiae?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah gently caress this, bet I got covid. SO tested positive, I get a cold and today I had a fever of 39.9 degrees C. I need to work up the effort to take a home test, but I hate it so much, hurts like hell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

Good luck with it. Take it as easy as possible (as easy as you can get away with, really, be ruthless if necessary). Even if initially you don't feel too bad. If you need to sleep, sleep for as long as required. A fair few anecdotes and some (fairly recent and admittedly small scale) evidence suggests that full rest during the infection period slightly lessens your chances of ongoing issues/long covid.

Thanks, I feel like poo poo already so that's good! This fever is hard to get down. I'm taking both ibuprofen and paracetamol now and sitting with a wet rag around my neck to help cool myself. I am feeling better the cooler I get. Been falling asleep bundled in covers and then a cat sits on me and superheats me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

lol Keith isn't up yet but first question was "why ditch Kwarteng and you stay?" which led to her angrily shouting I HAVE SAID I WAS SORRY

aha her comes Llama strangler

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Man covid isn't just a flu (duh), this thing really laid me out, running fever every day since tuesday, today I feel a little better. It also wiped out my sense of smell and screwed up my sense of taste.

I started doing more desperate stuff like firing up the sauna and sitting there while throwing water on the rocks to really steam my hams. It's not recommended to go to the sauna if you're sick but I did it anyway, it cleared my head for a while. Found my SOs neti pot this morning and tried that and it was surprisingly effective, now I can detect faint smells from stuff like coffee and such.

The only good thing about this is I can't smell my own farts.

As for glasses chat a few pages back, I believe I got varifocals in 2020 and I really like them. They cost me a shiiit ton from the optician though, got astigmatism on top of everything. I would like to get a cheaper pair to use in the shop and such, but I probably need to update my prescription. But the second I put them on it felt natural to me, never had a single issue with nausea or anything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah my sauna is next to my bathroom. I don't have to go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I went when I didn't have a fever so I wouldn't unduly raise my body temp (it tends go up and down), I also poured cool water over myself regularly, while sitting in the steam. It's very pleasant combo. I mostly wanted to fight my congestion.

edit, things feel so bleak without smell by the way, even the sauna experience is lessened without it. I can't smell the steam with that distinctive smell it has from the rocks, can't smell the birch firewood as I loaded the stove.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 22, 2022