Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Her people need time to mourn.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Chemists and public toilets being closed are my favourite, because as we all know 95 year old women are the people least likely to appreciate these things.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remember that time the government segregated and locked down Leicester for well over a year and then did absolutely nothing to redress any of the physiological trauma and breakdown of social norms that this caused? Wonder how the gently caress that’s working out for them now.

Oh, right.

Darth Walrus posted:

This is another long and solid thread on Leicester by a Guardian journalist. Looks like Hindutva freaks rolling in from outside the city to start poo poo really was a major factor:

https://twitter.com/ainajkhan/status/1571636803852967939?s=46&t=Hut9NzNKjcTMl5VgF8q_eA

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of our UK Hitler ordered from Wish....

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1572902493100863489

gently caress sake....

The Bolsover child MP, who is 36 cosplaying a 45 year old, will lose every single vote he gained from labour if they allow fracking in Bolsover. Bolsover is an absolute shithole surrounded by countryside and nice little villages/clowne and fracking is designed to piss everyone off, especially the landowners/national trust.

Source: I live yards from a "welcome to bolsover" sign, they put plants round it each year to make it look nice but I remain unconvinced.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

piano chimp posted:

My pet theory is that Truss is actually a sleeper accelerationist working from within cos I can't explain her behaviour any other way.

That's not tin foil hattery though? Reece-Mogg owes his money to his dad's investment in disaster capitalism in 1997 and she's clearly his puppet.

I say this as someone who actually knew Truss 20 years ago and the woman is something else when it comes to puppets, always was, trust me she was picked. Her brain is like a sponge absorbing all the words of the people around her and then spewing it all out when squeezed. Not an original thought in her life and she has the most terrifying internalised misogyny of anyone I have ever met and my dad has been a member of the Conservative party for 60 years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1573594346531741697?s=19

The Prime Minister likes it Raw and dry like pushing beef jerky through sandpaper.

I said in real life over and over again “good luck to anyone who isn’t Catholic and say goodbye to women’s rights if Reece-Mogg’s puppet gets in”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is 100% going to be on how mild this winter is, poor old people being unable to heat homes and middle class retired old people finding out that their favourite little shops, pubs and restaurants have been forced to shut down because of high electric prices (no cost cap for businesses) will be an absolute tipping point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Does he know that if you compare anything to Corbynism then Tories get scared of it and burst at least one forehead blood vessel?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Welp, don't know if I should continue with taking notes about roe vs wade while reading this archaic and out of date textbook printed *checks date* this year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tesseraction posted:

In light hearted news, lead singer of the Stone Roses turned up to his gig half-way through the designated set time without a band https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/1574344515053408256

Funny because I was at the Stone Roses last show. We were left outside the arena in the snow for hours, black grape got arrested and didn't show. The stone roses drimmer had already quit the band, Brown shuffled on in a mask, drunken mumbled for 2 mins into the microphone, shambled off and then John Squire ended up stood there on his own doing a half hour guitar solo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

xtothez posted:

there's going to be a significant number of regular homeowners who face significantly increased mortgage, energy, and general living costs on top of possible job losses in a new recession. Under the current government there won't be any support for them.

Start of the pandemic, I spoke about what it’s like being on long term benefits and what you had to do to economise, Kind people said to apply to the solidarity fund. I said I wouldn’t because my troubles are constant and consistent. I have never had money so no one has ever given me credit and therefore I have no debts, I can budget and plan, where as it’s the unexpected that will cripple you.

When you look at the big financial picture someone who works in IT earning £32k a year has less money than me. They are - £300k on house, car, credit card, student depts and so on and I am £800 deep in my overdraft. I also have soft skills that you learn through being long term poor, my phone hasn’t been just allowed to roll on to the next contract for example, I know when everything gets yellow stickered in each local supermarket. I can cook full one pot meals from scratch using only oven/pressure cooker/air fryer/hob and slow cooker. I am basically the greatest person with money you will ever meet.

Recession hits and trust me I’ve already planned well in advance what I can do to avoid freezing to death this winter (15 tog duvets). Your IT engineer is hosed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
E: nm I can’t be arsed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was sat opposite my fash dad in a pub when he discovered that Kwartang had been sacked.

He gave a sad little "oh no" while looking at his phone "you ok dad?" "they gave in to the woke :( :( :("

It was high art.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
for the rest of my life I will be wondering how he has manage to brain worms himself into thinking that "the bank of england has been taken over by the woke"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

what are the little grooved things on the table for?

They are for a pen because whoever looks after the antiques traditionally does not trust MPs not to splatter ink all over the expensive table.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ahh that dude can gently caress off.

Aileen Getty is a long time AIDS campaigner and was for years before she discovered she was HIV positive herself. She runs several charitable foundations but we all know why he’s calling her “controversial”.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

Because she is an heir to the Getty oil fortune?

Granddaughter and she’s been giving her share away to her own foundations for decades, including to aids research in the 80s and 90s. She’s not a young woman.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imagine being the people who lost in the leadership elections right now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It feels like the Times and the Financial Times journalists are now saying a lot of stuff they’ve been wanting to let loose with since 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh a lot of boomers set the dial to radio 4 in 1984 and never changed it.

Tory boomers who stopped listening to music in their 30s does explain a lot.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Endjinneer posted:

Government investment is inevitably waylaid by lobbyists, pork-barrelling politicians and insider trading, so the best thing to do is stand back and let the free market allocate capital far efficiently. You can see this playing out in the streetscape for example. Council transport budgets get captured by local interests and tend to go on wasteful things like cycle lanes, pedestrianisation and traffic calming. In areas where the council has no money, private sector investment isn't crowded out and you can see Amazon and Tesco busily at work repairing all the potholes so their delivery vans moving more speedily, thus maximising their profit and the wealth of all.

I live next to an Amazon hub in an area where the council have no money and is this a parody post?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

As winter and starvation sets in, some of these teams will head off into the cold, never to return.

New game! Spot the contrary twats deliberately not wearing a jacket. Right wing boomer men have been harping on to each other about how the poor are just used to central heating when back in my day, and yeh they turned only wearing a jumper into a dogwhistle for "everyone else is a snowflake scrounger"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My Nan spent £10k of her savings, which was most of them, getting her hips replaced by bupa when she was 85 because the NHS said (in writing) she was too old and that they had to prioritise people who would outlive the predicted life of the hips. That was 11 years ago and she’s in the process of suing the hospital for her £10k back.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The times has cash for lobbying on the front page and what year is this?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This feels like one of those things where a load of Yorkshire factory workers march down to London with pitchforks to smash up the daily telegraph’s printing presses.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Long term winter weather predictions are out lasses.

Try not to freeze to death in November December and January

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-f...gy-crisis-looms

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lungboy posted:

Also she didn't have any personal deprivation, it's all confected.

Same deprivation that my mother thinks we had growing up, in her head we were struggling on £80k a year because we didn’t own a horse.

(We could have owned a horse, she just wasn’t that into horses)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My mother is still Fumin’ that Waitrose has an economy range.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am not sure that's comparable. Priests get a job, ready access to victims, and security for their time investment. Trans women just get poo poo. Even from a theoretical actual TERF (as opposed to FART) perspective, the idea makes no sense, as a man pretending to be a woman would be trading the most powerful identity in favor of the weakest one, for no reason at all, seeing as men are perfectly able to be sexually abusive for years with no consequence within our current society.

One thing I know as absolute fact and it’s that Rowling and her ilk are so posh that they have no idea who cleans public bathrooms. Most of the time it’s men. All a man needs to do to get into the ladies is put on high viz with cleaner on it.

Idk if they’ve gone back to it but at one point I did get the British terfs at least to shut the gently caress up about kids in gyms by proving to the Uber twats that children (under 16s) are not allowed in shared gym changing rooms and haven’t been since Chris Benoit and the roid rage scare freaked out their insurance companies. They don’t have anything to say when you just tell them to read the terms and conditions of their membership and that little Jessica should be getting changed at home.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

This is way way more serious than it looks

I am in fact now currently studying criminology and history at the open university (because I would rather eat nails than continue in social care), one of the absolute inescapable core tenets of criminology and policing, and it's pretty much been set in stone since 1926 by iirc John Rathbone Oliver, is that "common sense" should never ever be used anywhere near policing, the study of policing, or the law. It's pretty much day one poo poo, "this is how to avoid plagurism, and this is why "common sense" is truly terrible for police and the courts."

the fact that the actual home secretary chose to use that language in an attempt to berate "the woke" is truly dystopian. If you allow "common sense" into the law then you allow preconceived ideas and stereotypes, it has been proven time and time again in the courts that what people believe to be "common sense" from a legal perspective is meaningless and usually is coming from someone who has a strong bias and no facts.

She just let all the worst police officers off the leash, it was actual permission for stop and search for example. "why you stopping me?" "we got told to use common sense" and that is why police have been told to avoid common sense since the 1920s.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I watched some of his walking through history stuff on Sky and he's gone full melty "the wokes won't let you" I'm afraid

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
oh now this is a cheerful thought so I'm going to share it.

imagine how dreadful all of this must be making Gove feel

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
reptile owners making plans to put their snakes in pillowcases, so they can bring them under the duvet with them and act as a human heater, so they don't loving die is certainly a thing in 2022.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tigey posted:

Now your earlier post about Gove makes more sense

Frogs bruminate, stick him in some tuppaware with dead leaves and a pile of cocaine and he'll be fine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Scientastic posted:

Oh poo poo, how do I keep my son’s chameleon alive?!

If you have a gas hob you can heat a (or several) hot water bottle and place it on top of the viv/on the outside of the doors with a duvet over the viv to insulate.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You need to call the passport office who will then call the police as a bag of passports is going to = human trafficking
Or just call the police.

Do it now you have a bag of passports belonging to a human trafficking ring and at some point someone is going to come and find them, don't dither and hand wring you absolute (putting yourself in) danger

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Driving licences are no longer a valid form of ID when it's to do with government agencies or anything employment related,

and yes I am fully aware of how batshit that sounds.

It's because of brexit and every employer having to prove that each new employee has the right to work (although with anything government funded like the NHS they are having to go back and check all employees). People from the EU can get a driving licence but they may not have the right to work or universal credit, so they blanket made driving licences invalid as ID.

This same logic is going to apply to voting if they bring in ID for that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not sure about how that works but I do remember some time ago reading how US companies can sue non US companies across the whole world for being competition or something. Half cocked memory here but something like that.

WTO rules. Canada just ate a big loss against China because they were giving subsidies to companies to move to Alberta and only employ local workers for example. There are arguments for and against but actively punishing shortening the travel distance of goods is something that badly needs fixing.

A lot of people who voted for brexit were dumb fucks confusing the EU with the WTO.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gort posted:

I just use a footpump, but I'm jealous of people whose cars automatically tell them the tyres are going flat, that's a nice feature

It’s not when you ran over glass and are trying to get your Nan home on Boxing Day with a slow puncture without freaking her out.

Nissan is very insistent that you need to know just how fast the air is going out and at what point it will be flat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what kind of nissan?

Cash Quwhy