Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just had a phone call from "virginmedia" telling me my internet connection was "corrupted" I'd completely forgotten these type of calls exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

sorry your media is pregnant and can no longer legally call itself a virgin

"Harlotmedia!"

Re: feral kids.

When I was young there were twins that would try and bully other kids. They beat one boy pretty badly so that boy's father went round the twins house and gave their dad a bit of a beating telling him to get his kids under control or he'd get more of the same. Some of the bullying stemmed off and they moved away about a year later. Not sure how effective the parenting was as one twin OD and another spent a lot of time in and out of prison.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anybody in this thread been to Exeter university? Is it any good? I have a nephew starting there this year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

a couple years ago it was #3 in the UK for 'students most likely to contract an STI'

Well him coming back with an STI would at least be proof that he's had a semblance of a social life so his parents would be happy-ish.

Barry Foster posted:

I have! And my partner and I work there.

PM if you like, I'm at a Thing today so dont really have time to answer properly atm

Thank you very much!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

posh as gently caress, full of the kind of daddy’s money idiots who don’t have the connections to bribe their way into Oxbridge

the Conservative Future was/is the biggest political society on campus

they have a polo society

He's doing Film & TV so maybe he'll make a docco about Conservative Future.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Went past a branch of Waterstones and they had Rowling's new book on sale at half price and it's still £12.50. So full price is £25, what the gently caress!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I know the Trusspocalypse is going on but yeah that's how much hardback books are now. You can get paperbacks that cost 20 quid if you are into history.

Oh academic books I get being expensive, but this is a half arsed crime fiction book by the author of Harry Potter. The fact that it's over 1,000 pages should mean a deep discount.

Grey Hunter posted:

My (Tory party member) father in law reduced my wife to tears when she said we were thinking about getting solar panels. He hates green energy, but is well up for nuclear.
Apparently they are noisy!
The battery won't last the whole day, so whats the point?
The quotes we mentioned were a lot more than he had heard!

God why won't the spiteful man die yet?

Reduced to tears? I think I'd burst out laughing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

You've not had your whole life being basically emotionally abused by the man. One GP actually called it borderline abuse when my wife was explaining a few long term medical things. (She fell off a horse and damaged her spine, but was never taken to hospital)

loving hell this guy sounds like a proper oval office. I'm very sorry that happened to her. Hopefully he won't be around much longer.

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, that's easy to say when the situation is theoretical to you and you're a big internet tough guy, but maybe it wouldn't be so easy it you were the child of a hosed up abusive tory man and spent a lifetime dealing with their psychotic poo poo

Don't you think?

Edit beaten! And by husbando (or waifu!) as well. Point still stands

Sure.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Publishers put out hardbacks early, have the jacket price at £20-25 & then they are sold by shops at usually £10-15 with a big fat £10 off sticker which makes you think you're getting a bargain so you better buy it!

Source: me, I buy my mam the new Ian Rankin novel every year for her birthday as they usually come out about a month before her birthday and I've never paid listed price for them, even when it came signed. It's a stupid marketing trick but it must work.

This isn't a recent development, and very few people actually buy the thing at £25.

Sneaky bastards!

I just had to drop £330 at the dentist. I think I've said about this before but I worry about how people are going to afford dental care with this Cost of Living crisis. What the hell disabled people are going to do I don't know.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's the cost of the standing charge? Disgraceful.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Speaking of unhinged TERF related stuff #IStandWithChristianHenson is currently trending on twitter. I don't know who Christian Henson is beyond being a composer but apparently he's tweeted something anti-trans and been suspended from his workplace.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Thank goodness climate change isn't real and doesn't have any negative consequences, and that there is no problem with energy prices or security

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/06/jacob-rees-mogg-climate-alarmism-uk-energy-brief

otherwise this would be pretty bad

He'll get Monckton a job in government.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Some poo poo about puberty blockers again. People who have no clue how they work have very strong opinions about them.

They should probably be made more available outside of just gender affirmation and precocious puberty, because of their effectiveness at lowering cancer risk later in life. That'd also have the side effect of making these people sound even more unhinged to the general population, like when the dominionist nutters went off about the cervical cancer vaccine.

Yeah, I'm still uneducated about a lot of the transitioning process but after hearing trans people and doctors talk about bits of the process puberty blockers seem like a God send.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I first heard about them from reading works by Elsimar Coutinho (RIP), possibly the world's best gynecologist, who discovered and pioneered injectable contraceptives, massively improved quality of life for poor women in Brazil, researched (and became possibly the world expert in) endometriosis at a time when it was written off as 'women's troubles' by most doctors (still takes too many years to get a diagnosis even in the UK because of this), and then turned his attention to menstruation.

Why? Because if people were regularly bleeding and experiencing internal pain for any other reason it'd probably be a medical issue, but this one got written off as 'natural'. But then so did endometriosis and death in childbirth and all the other things he'd worked to understand, so why not? He ended up concluding that delaying the reproductive years until a woman wants to have children could have statistically huge effects on breast and ovarian cancers, which has been backed up by more recent research, but it never really took off like convenient family planning did (in part due to the same suspects we see here shouting about 'sterilizing children').

All in all it sounds like a good idea, one that of course should be subject to medical scrutiny and informed consent, but not one directed by outraged howling. (Funnily enough, he got plenty of that from the Catholic clergy when he started the injections in the 60s, but within a decade the massive reductions in the number of dead women, stillbirths, and abortions forced them to concede that either he was at least doing something moral in intent or that they just wanted an excuse to rant about someone, opinions were split but he was left to go about his work. Will terves and GC cultists ever do the same and log off?)

e: 24 years ago his work Is Menstruation Obsolete? was praised by The Lancet

Excellent. I'm going to read up on Elsimar Coutinho and puberty blockers for a better understanding. Can then give some back when people start talking crap.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

What if she dies in Wales? Or one of those places in England where she's technically like the Bishop of Doncaster or something rather than the Queen?

If she dies in Wales it's Operation Laverbread.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have the great-grand children been called in so their blood can be siphoned off?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Time to mourn. Have 10 pints, a kebab and disgrace the toilet.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm hoping Harry and William have a fight over who is going to be the next prince of Wales.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Have they released the cause of her death? Could she have had explosive diarrhea for the last 48 hours and shat herself to death?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Should I be surprised that there are people criticising Harry and Megan for holding hands?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

No, it's not as if two other minor royals were holding hands with their spouses and went uncriticised. Hmm. What could be different?

She's taken out 'arry down the nasty road of "emotional support"

kecske posted:

they could announce they are secretly scientists who've solved the energy crisis and cured cancer and those people would still find something to piss and moan about

My pro-royal anti-Harry/Megan mother was telling me about it (against my will) and even she thought these people were deranged.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just had a look at his youtube channel, dude seems like a bit of a nutcase.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I heard one reporter call the queue a "healing moment" so now the queue itself has become holy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1571830891776712704

"The children out there playing, just keep an eye out for prince Andrew."

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

crispix posted:

"the reality of a new way of life dawns on us"

lol ffs

My neighbours have gone to Mexico. They'll be shocked when they return and we have a new way of life.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

1965917 posted:

How long can King sausage fingers have in him? 12, maybe 18 months before his liver explodes?

They will siphon off blood from thousands of young children to keep his rotten body going.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice to see the FT pushing back against Truss and Kwarteng calling the British the worst idlers in the world

We all know it isn't true just nice to see some print about it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh no! Darren Grimes doesn't have time for my view?!?! What next? The local paedophile not happy with my child care?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A bunch of these gender critical people have just lost their minds. Everything is a target now, everything is some sort of assault against children. I know the U.S. variant have gone after the panto dame I'm just surprised the U.K. strain hasn't picked up on that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess I missed yesterday's story of a 21yo student pouring a jug of poo and piss over the Captain Tom memorial to...protest climate change? Idk seems like a strange approach but I like the enthusiasm

Do I have it right that cap'n Tom is famous for walking round his garden a hundred times while being very old and the attempt going viral so he raised a lot of money for the NHS? While he hasn't exactly been deified he seemed to have a hugely elevated status.

Also with the energy costs as they are is it a good idea to get a smart meter?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Internet is wild sometimes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh great, we've imported that poo poo now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

We come across as a proper nanny state sometimes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Angepain posted:

very much enjoying the tory outrage that people may on occasion be mean to them

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1579083113774612483

I can't believe a political party is trying to win as many seats as possible.

Glad I went into town today. There was a lad standing outside a shop and a woman gave him £1. He just looked at her and said "why are you giving me this? I'm not homeless." she said "oh sorry." a bit sheepishly and took the quid back. The guy was a scruffy looking bugger mind, if he said he was homeless I'd believe him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Lol

Reminds me of when a guy stood up on the bus for an obviously pregnant woman, only for the woman to make it clear she was not pregnant

It is true what they say about the road to hell.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

John is on the case!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/DogoKuno/status/1580125149386637313

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

One of the Four Yorkshire Men pokes their head above the parapet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Typical you can't attack a woman on her ideas attack her on the way she dresses!