Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Mit Iodine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The whole price cap thing seems like a bizarre red herringy way of talking about energy prices.

It's not a cap on the amount a household can be charged in a year, but some people think it is

It's not a cap against prices going up, only against overcharging relative to wholesale prices (I think?)

It's expressed as a yearly figure, but changes multiple times a year

It represents an "average" household

It doesn't apply to businesses, or to people like my friend who lives in a (shared ownership, flammable cladding) block of flats with shared heating, because she doesn't have a contract with an energy company (the BBC have at least noticed this - love the "government spokesperson" dismissing this is a "small minority")

The only use I can see is "price cap goes from £1000 to £2000" means energy prices double. But is it too nerdy to just want a price per kWh?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Payndz posted:

A small sign of how a British Establishment organisation regards anyone born on the west side of the Irish Sea: at the Bournemouth airshow today, the Typhoon pilot, whose name was O'Hare, had depressingly yet inevitably acquired the nickname "Paddy". Zero effort, like "Your surname starts with 'Mac'? Okay, you're 'Jock' from now on. Jones? Now you're 'Taffy'!"

(I'm from Halifax, and a mate of mine who went to work in London was told in his first week that he'd be called 'Yorkie', whether he liked it or not. And it's not like he was a squaddie - he was an undertaker!)

A flying dude called O'Hare and they went with Paddy instead of Chicago

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Fun fact: the "Zug" from Zugzwang means move, as in a chess move, but also means train (both related to English "tug"). So it could also mean forcing trains on people, which is relevant to this thread's interests.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Hang those who bum the billionaire

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

"If you want my views on history then there's something you should know
The three men I admire most are Gordon, Kieth and Tone"

- Centrists, probably

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I thought this quote from a "backbenchers angry" article matched the TERF one upthread quite nicely

quote:

“I completely despair, because I’m a member of a party that stands up for the squeezed middle not the very rich. This will be politically toxic and economically dubious,” said another MP present for the statement.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

What's the name of that comic with the small girl with the black spiky hair? She's got a friend with a flat cap I think.

Thanks, Marxism and general questions thread

forkboy84 posted:

It's already been talked about like it has discredited MMT somehow.

MMT is when government spend money without feel guilty

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pound the Ground for a Pound

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

If I could I'd have bought a place that never got central heating kludged into it in the 70s and just fitted some proper HVAC in the attic, because gently caress having tubes of gross water going all over the place to metal rads fitted in the stupidest places.

This thought is of gently caress all use to either of us at this point though.

I do love our air duct central heating. I think I'd struggle placing objects in a room if there were suddenly radiators on the walls! It's not common here though, I think it is in the US, but the Dutch find it slightly odd too.

It's not going on yet though. Instead I'm wearing most of Uniqlo's heattech range, which is the same as my usual WfH-wear, but fuzzier.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Think about Starmer, it'll go away.

But how much have you had today?
To much polls makes your Kieth go grey!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Monumentally loving stupid and spiteful. But in this case it seems to be... I guess "complacency" is the word I'm looking for. "Ha ha how bad can things get, we're British after all, we muddle through ha ha!"

Followed by: "...I didn't think the leopards would make me muddle through!"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Low effort MTG cosplay in full effect.

Jenkyns: "Quite right. Margaret Thatcher (Grantham)"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Most of them are dial-a-yield now, so you could definitely use them as tactical weapons.

The big problem is that the other person seeing that ICBM incoming has to trust that you've scaled them to tactical before they hit, which relies on a lot of shared trust between people throwing nuclear weapons at one another.

That's also why they didn't ever use the ICBM with conventional warhead for precision distance strike idea.

Can I interest you in my trustless blockchain-based nuclear weapons?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

James, Cleverly?
No, funny clown!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

This is bad for Tramister Coburns

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

There's a linguistic aspect too. "Labour" is always a vague uncountable concept - "I hate Labour" or "Labour will bankrupt the country" doesn't directly refer to individuals, and is thus more readily assigned to the party leadership I think. Whereas "Tories" is countable and refers to specific people - so you end up debating which ones. Cabinet, MPs, party members, voters, small-c conservatives. Makes it easier to feign outrage whenever someone says they hate Tories.

--

Mostly unrelated, I came across articles in the Dutch and UK news with a common theme: both Schiphol security personnel and British teaching assistants are leaving those jobs to be better paid at supermarkets, leading to much confused gnashing of teeth from employers.

Interesting that supermarkets have become the kind of backstop employer, chosen over putting up with sticky toddler tantrums in your face, or working in schools.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

fuctifino posted:

It's going to be glorious :allears:

e: My town has just had to cancel its carnival, which was meant to have taken place on Saturday, as the town council wasn't able to get permission from themselves to close the roads in time, due to them forgetting to process their own paperwork... and of course, there's absolutely nothing that anyone can do. Better luck next year I guess...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Messaging
- MMT advocates gently caress up the messaging and convince people you don't need to tax the rich because it's OK to run a deficit

This bit was interesting, because as far as I'm concerned everything he'd said up to that point - "if you inject huge amounts of money (like we 100% had to during Covid), then you need to suck it back out with tax when it inevitably pools in the pockets of the rich" - was textbook MMT.

So either he was inventing a straw-MMT-er, or more likely, I'm doing a no-true-MMT and there's actually people running around saying that MMT means we don't need tax anymore.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Love Michael Hobbes. He's made his entire job to be a moral panic-seeking missile, and then dismantle them snarkily.

This episode of his podcast is relevant to the alcohol discussion from a few pages ago (and the whole podcast is good)

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/maintenance-phase/id1535408667?i=1000580774171

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think this is true, it's true if you come out and go "muhahaha I am going to do this thing gently caress you idiots" like truss is doing, but the way the erosion of the NHS has gone under both the tories and labour has been to simply privatise it by parts, to make it more expensive to run and funnel money out of it to private interests, which eventually will produce a system that cannot function and give space for some ghoul to say "well we need to knock it all down and replace it with something else" but which does not see significant electoral backlash before that point. Everything labour are saying suggests they are entirely on board with continuing that plan. And the cost of doing that is a service that is worse funded and still means people dying when they don't have to, even before someone decides to destroy it entirely.

Labour may not let the axe fall, but they are still dragging the NHS closer to the block.

This. A politician from any party coming out and saying "if elected, healthcare will stop being free, and you'll have to get European style [Labour] or US-style [Tories] health insurance" is still electoral suicide. They know this, so it's a drip drip instead. Private providers with an NHS logo (with the added bonus of different employers = less worker solidarity). The big one would be a charge for GP visits. Just a little one, because the NHS needs money you see.

For the rest, I don't think public blowback is a real factor either. It doesn't matter if they're going moustache-twirlingly over the top, so they can pull back in response to the outrage and do what they wanted all along, or they're just idiots, the end result is the same. They don't actually stop, listen and reconsider - they just say some words, and then carry on what they were doing before but slower and quieter.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

And critically, it doesn't matter if they do it because they want to introduce a US style insurance system, or because they very sincerely believe that privatization of services with public funding is the most expedient or even best way to improve them. Whyever they do it the effect is the same, to make the NHS worse in the long run, because the private sector can not, and has not, ever improved a service in the long run, it can't, it is structurally incapable of doing it because they are incentivized to cut service provision to the bone and extract as much value from the institution as possible, that is exactly what you have seen with rail and it is exactly what you will see with the NHS.

Speaking of rail, I saw this quote the other day and thought of this thread...we don't talk about trains enough anymore

(context: the Dutch rail system is effectively nationalised, with a couple of minor routes run by random companies - presumably as a sop to the EU)

quote:

But his most immediate challenge will be to deal with the increasing pressure to allow other rail companies to run trains on the already crowded Dutch network.

On November 1, Koolmees’s first official working day, parliament is due to discuss who can use the network from 2025.

Potential competitors have been lobbying hard to challenge NS’s dominant position as the national rail operator and its monopoly on intercity trains. The European Commission has told the government its plans to renew NS’s exclusive contract for another 10 years runs a ‘serious risk’ of breaching EU competition law.

Groenewegen has warned that liberalising the market could lead to the kind of chaos on the rails and high prices seen in other European countries such as the UK.

‘The outside world is nipping at our heels,’ he said in a recent presentation to staff. ‘The doomsday scenario of a large-scale commercial experiment on the rails is becoming increasingly likely.’

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

'controversial' is now everything from having made a few off jokes about the powerful a decade ago to being a war criminal.

Controversial Austrian postcard artist.

I read this as "podcast" artist

Er Ist Wieder Da 2 - Diesmal mit Spotify

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Ahh - but which track is better to be on and which are you on? That's the questions to ask yourself.

e: While staring at the approaching train.

I want to be Australian Henry with the cool boots

Bonus picture from the results for "good place henry trolley":

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

fuctifino posted:

Our ex chancellor's main goal is to, er, fix the economy from the mistakes made by previous chancellors

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1584114970723512321

I like his fresh thinking and fresh approach. We need fresh blood like him in politics

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Checking into the thread for the steamed gammon tears

I thought we were having green plans

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Angry time

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/horizon-pnc-police-computer-fujitsu-post-office-b2209617.html

quote:

Awarding multimillion pound government contracts to the Japanese firm at the heart of the Post Office’s IT scandal is “morally wrong”, the government has been told.

Critics in the House of Lords argued it was “appalling” Fujitsu continued to secure lucrative work, including a £48m deal to upgrade the police national computer (PNC), despite its role in what has been branded the biggest miscarriage of justice in British legal history.

However, ministers argued there was “basically no alternative”.

Home office lord minister explicitly saying there, "we outsource stuff and then become so dependent on the big outsourcing companies that we're stuck with them, and can't ever drop them if they screw up"

That whole saga fills me with rageohol, not just because it was a kafkaesque nightmare for the people involved, but you also just know that the higher-ups will have been really nasty about it. Basically making this face a lot

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

HopperUK posted:

When I think about the sheer amount of poo poo I got for my awful handwriting I get furious. Okay, they didn't know about my raging ADHD and neither did I. So teach me a way to write legibly, don't just force me to use a stupid pencil grip as if that's the issue.
I actually often have to write things down for other people to read (pharmacy, we live on post-its) so I just write them in goddamn allcaps and everyone can read everything I write and it's loving fine. Ugh. It's amazing I enjoy writing with a pen as much as I do, they certainly tried to slap it out of me.

Ugh yes. I was so happy when my primary teacher allowed me to use a biro and normal letters (as opposed to joined-up), around age 9 maybe? I think he just gave up on ever being able to read my fountain pen + joined up mess, and I never looked back,

Even better when essay-based subjects in secondary would accept printed Word docs. Though that did make exams a shock to the system (wrist)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

is there any reason why we shouldn't lock the entire conservative party in a concentration camp and let out all the people currently in them?

Like a reverse zoo?

"There there Mr & Mrs Norman, you'll be safe in here, where the nasty immigrants can't hurt you"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I was more thinking a reality TV show where they have to attempt to build a society in there and probably just eat each other.

I'm suddenly reminded of the thing I discovered several threads ago - the biosphere isolation project that went badly the first time, so the second time they hired Steve Bannon.

But with cameras this time!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

I love that petrol station companies are now calling themselves "artisanal purveyors of divers energy solutions" or whatever. Wow I am fooled, they're the good guys now

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

plus now some slurs for Romanians and Bulgarians because accuracy is never the point for the type of people who would lump in a billion South Asians with an old demonym for Pakistanis just to be a oval office.

[sobbing] "Please...you can't just call every group of people you don't like Egyptian"

British racist: [pointing at Bulgarian] "Egyptian"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

"A Swiss style deal but we're going to make free movement pay for it" is just the same "we hold all the cards" stuff from 3 years ago, but mouldy and reheated.

Good to see that Labour is fully bought in to the idea that the only true Brexit is the kind where you don't talk to the smelly EU because they have cooties.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/22/bright-blue-founder-to-quit-over-tory-partys-betrayal-of-millennials

quote:

Ryan Shorthouse, 37, will leave the Cameronite thinktank he founded, Bright Blue, next year and told the Guardian he was deeply disillusioned with progress during the last 12 years under the Tories – saying Rishi Sunak had failed to reinvigorate Conservative vision or bring in fresh talent.

“The Tory government has failed my generation – millennials – who have come of age and entered the labour market under 12 years of Tory rule, with punishing housing and childcare costs – combined with stagnant wages – preventing the building blocks of what Conservatives believe make the good life,” Shorthouse said.

Leopards gonna eat my face
(talkin' bout my generation)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

One thing I worry about is the longer the Tories keep driving public everything into the ground, the more unimaginable the scale of required improvement becomes, to take it from "brink of collapse" to "pretty good, actually"

I was reading an article earlier about GPs which I now can't find because the Graun's website is as bad as their politics, but it mentioned some aspect being overloaded by a factor of 2.

Which then reminded me of the class-size discussion from many threads ago, which I vaguely remember contained some "well actually" research that taking classes form 30+ to 22 kids didn't actually help that much... but that you'd need to go down to like 15 to see a big difference. Which a quick google shows is the smallest end of an OECD comparison chart (and coincidentally where I grew up, which I why I find 30 to be huge). Cf China nudging toward 40.

How do you sell that in the UK today? You can't even finish the sentence "we need to double..." before people start yelling about magic money trees. Better things aren't possible.

As terrible as Nullarbor were, 2010 would be a much less daunting starting point. Not sure what my point is, it just seems very insurmountable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

josh04 posted:

RIP twisto, his ancient av of the Landless Peasants Party guy is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think about the UKMT.

Same :( Definitely a "posters look like their avs in my head" candidate, even if it clashed with his description of himself

He was the kind of person who knew a lot of things about a lot of things, but would cheerfully accept corrections when he was wrong. A good combination.

RIP