Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I guess it's just what happens when you start thinking about getting older and are going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I feel like the venn diagram between people who don't like it and people who unequip assess materia is probably a near-total overlap.
I’m beginning to suspect it’s exactly this. Assess Materia 4 Lyfe!!

My biggest criticism with Rebirth is why they still have not implemented Materia loadouts/sets. Crisis Core Reunion has it for godsakes! Or at least the ability to swap all Materia on a specific piece of armor or weapon like in the OG

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ImpAtom posted:

That is genuinely bewildering to me because Rebirth has some of the best designed fights I can think of in a game. Short of "I refuse to adjust/adapt to different tactics required by different bosses" I can't imagine what would be giving you that much trouble.

Yeah, a lot of them are really good, and it's why I've sunk 90 hours into this thing so far! And then some of them seem designed specifically to be as unfun as possible, just in terms of the mechanics they've chosen. The elephant enemies stick out as a prime example of what I really hate -- they start to rampage, and then You Just Cannot Attack Them. Your melee characters are stuck being useless until the elephant decides to calm down, and afaik there is literally nothing else to do except wait. (This is a problem with a good handful of random enemies, too, you'll just have to sit there until they decide to pop out of the sand or stop dodging everything). And then (I think the elephants do this too) if they've targeted the character that you're using, You Just Cannot Do Anything because the elephant has locked onto you with a series of attacks that home in on you perfectly and will interrupt anything you try to do.

I just did the whole Shinra Mansion bit with Cait Sith, and that awful solo boss is what prompted the post. The dude has an insta-kill attack that comes out partway through that cannot be avoided even when I recognized it and spammed the dodge button. Like, this is not a Dark Souls game, I'm not supposed to have to play the bosses over and over again until I've memorized the 3-frame dodge window. I'm guessing I'm supposed to have the Moogle out and he'll target the Moogle? IDK, I only played it three times and he didn't use it the third time. Why would you even put an insta-kill move in a gimmicky solo fight like that, anyway? And it's bookended by a bunch of really fun boss fights where I'm having a great time, responding to abilities, healing my party, getting big damage on staggers, etc. It's maddening.

Oxxidation posted:

what kind of reaction do you expect when you make posts like this

Sometimes you're frustrated and want to bitch? IDK man seems better than screaming into the void

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering Assess is something you do every single time you meet an enemy for the first time, it probably should just be a skill and not a Materia. I have a million materia I want to level up, but always have to dedicate a slot to it, or use the accessory.

The main frustration I've encountered is whenever you have to use Red against flying enemies, since he can't gain ATB well against them, and I imagine Cait has the same issue, but that's pretty minor.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Actually it took me four tries now that I remember, the third try I got him down to 1% after the stagger and Phoenix summon was active, and all I had to do was survive another few seconds on 1/3HP and no ATB, except nope, he goes into perfectly homing bicycle kicks that kept hitting me even though I kept spamming dodge. Which drives me crazy, I feel like I should be basically invincible if I'm spamming dodge, and no matter how many times I tell myself that it doesn't work like that, it's still intensely aggravating every time it happens.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my brother in christ, press the guard button

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It is really funny how any enemies with melee attacks Just Die to Punisher Cloud. Like you think it shouldn't be that Cheap and Easy, but it is

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I simply equipped the assess earrings so I no longer have to worry about the materia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Anti-Hero posted:

Has anyone here redeemed and played Immortals of Aveum on PS5 and can speak to its performance?

Virtually flawless, it’s 60 most of the time and very nearly all the time in combat. Some scenes drop a frame or two but it feels very smooth when it has to

I never found a performance/quality toggle either, which doesn’t mean there definitely isn’t one

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Augus posted:

my brother in christ, press the guard button

Never guard. Always be parrying. Doesn’t matter what game it is. If it doesn’t have parry mechanics it shan’t be played.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Much like Remake before it Rebirth is an incredible game possessed of so much Polish it boggles the mind. But almost everything about learning the peculiar combat, the excellent, logical peculiar combat mind you, is obtuse as hell. It's the greatest game with some of the worst ux. I'm not surprised people rage out about the combat. I remember feeling kinda baffled at first with Remake. But man, all the bad ux on earth can't possibly take away from how good it is once it clicks. If the game stressed what it wants from players more, like tanking attacks with guard and constantly switching characters, I think people would feel less frustrated. It doesn't really do a great job giving a player feedback on why they messed up a lot of the time, aside from binds. Mostly what tends to happen is dying by attrition for failing to stay on top of things, which feels pretty lovely.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aw man, FFVIII and IX are leaving Extra next month

E: well, basically all the FFs are, but those are the ones I wanted to play

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, a lot of them are really good, and it's why I've sunk 90 hours into this thing so far! And then some of them seem designed specifically to be as unfun as possible, just in terms of the mechanics they've chosen. The elephant enemies stick out as a prime example of what I really hate -- they start to rampage, and then You Just Cannot Attack Them. Your melee characters are stuck being useless until the elephant decides to calm down, and afaik there is literally nothing else to do except wait. (This is a problem with a good handful of random enemies, too, you'll just have to sit there until they decide to pop out of the sand or stop dodging everything). And then (I think the elephants do this too) if they've targeted the character that you're using, You Just Cannot Do Anything because the elephant has locked onto you with a series of attacks that home in on you perfectly and will interrupt anything you try to do.

I just did the whole Shinra Mansion bit with Cait Sith, and that awful solo boss is what prompted the post. The dude has an insta-kill attack that comes out partway through that cannot be avoided even when I recognized it and spammed the dodge button. Like, this is not a Dark Souls game, I'm not supposed to have to play the bosses over and over again until I've memorized the 3-frame dodge window. I'm guessing I'm supposed to have the Moogle out and he'll target the Moogle? IDK, I only played it three times and he didn't use it the third time. Why would you even put an insta-kill move in a gimmicky solo fight like that, anyway? And it's bookended by a bunch of really fun boss fights where I'm having a great time, responding to abilities, healing my party, getting big damage on staggers, etc. It's maddening.

Sometimes you're frustrated and want to bitch? IDK man seems better than screaming into the void

You can use synergy skills during that time frame and pretty much anything Cloud has is good for it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

haveblue posted:

Virtually flawless, it’s 60 most of the time and very nearly all the time in combat. Some scenes drop a frame or two but it feels very smooth when it has to

I never found a performance/quality toggle either, which doesn’t mean there definitely isn’t one

Thanks! At launch I recall it made quite a hub-bub technically because of dodgy performance on consoles and really high performance requirements on PC. Normally I'd get it on PC but I might as well redeem and play it on PS5 as I don't think the difference is enough to warrant 30 bux!

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Arist posted:

Obviously this is a prelude to FF9 Remaster. Please, Square.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Dang, I wanted to play through FF12 again before it left Extra. Just a couple more years, Square? Please?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's cool... it does raise the question of where the onramp for younger people into final fantasy is these days -- like i mentioned my the post after the quoted part, like i was primed for FF7 because I got into the series with 4 and 6, and while they were certainly stories with dark themes, the abstracted presentation and simpler gameplay was something that meshed well for me as an 8-year-old. Even FFT with the chibi sprites kinda blunted the impact of the whole political oppression and murder plots going on. And I guess for me 16 just seemed very much into the grimdark, at least compared to 15 or 7 Remake, which from my oldster perspective seemed like broader appeal.

I guess these days would it be Kingdom Hearts? Or is that something that's for the olds now too lol

On ramp? Noone has a on ramp, cool poo poo comes out and people play cool poo poo. These posts reek of coptalk but like, simpsons cops

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Took an edible and i wanna play knack

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Paying2Lurk posted:

Dang, I wanted to play through FF12 again before it left Extra. Just a couple more years, Square? Please?

Buy it on ps2

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

negativeneil posted:

Obviously this is a prelude to FF9 Remaster. Please, Square.

Remaster is on there its a remake coming and a tactics remaster and da3hd

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like FFXII and as much as I hate saying this, the PS2 version is just categorically inferior to The Zodiac Age

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

There all on sale, buy em and buy em for ps1

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also what is "da3hd"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

I like FFXII and as much as I hate saying this, the PS2 version is just categorically inferior to The Zodiac Age

How, did they fix that inverted camera horseshit

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

also what is "da3hd"

Dragron quest 3 hd but i called it dragon age in my head

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Zodiac Age lets you pick job classes for each character instead of everyone being a boring jack-of-all-trades, it looks and sounds better, there's a speedup function...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

The Zodiac Age lets you pick job classes for each character instead of everyone being a boring jack-of-all-trades, it looks and sounds better, there's a speedup function...

Sweet, getting the steelbook off ebay

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Someone on my PSN friends list is never NOT playing Knack (and Knack 2), it’s kind of amazing

I checked their playtime and they have over 250 hours sank into Knack

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Someone really needs to teach grandpa how to quote multiple posts in a single reply.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

it was the game of a generation

edit: 2 was, at least

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Vikar Jerome posted:

Remaster is on there its a remake coming and a tactics remaster and da3hd

What's remastered about it?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Arist posted:

The redone music is fantastic too

Zodiac age is s tier final fantasy to me (the original being b tier)

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

fridge corn posted:

More Elden Ringing last night. Well on my way to my str/int build. In contrast to my first blind run of the game, the second playthrough of immediately beelining to all the poo poo I need to power myself up for the early game is just as satisfying. I'm gonna do some good work with this meteoric ore blade I think.

The muscle memory has returned

I still want to replay this. In fact, I quit somewhere on the mountaintop of the giants, never even met the later bosses like the huge fire giant and of course Melania. But at this point, I'm kind of afraid to pick it up again. My muscle memory must be completely gone and I'd probably have to create an new character just to start from the beginning and learn again.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Planet of Lana (PS5/PS4/Switch release, 04/16/2024)

Looks like democracy is being brought to the planet of Lana.

Arist posted:

I was playing Helldivers 2 yesterday and I think I frustrated some rando I was playing with because I couldn't really hear the audio cue for moving the satellite tower into the right position, felt bad

At least you weren't summarily executed.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

Theres always pisspro talk, you just skipped it all to piss yer pants

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Oxxidation posted:

read somewhere that 16 took the better part of a decade to develop and I hope that was a misunderstanding. spending all those years to come up with an asura’s wrath clone with half the creativity and charm

it's called final fantasy 16 because every boss phase transition has 16 QTEs

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
And quite possibly the worst, most dogshit sidequests too. It's an ok game but they dropped the ball a little on those. The gulf in quality on the sidequests between 16 and Rebirth is vast. One has dull fetch quests with barely-animated MMORPG mannequin-figure conversations, and the other is fully animated, all mo-capped fully directed balls-out labours of love.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Planet of Lana (PS5/PS4/Switch release, 04/16/2024)

Did not deliver the feels I felt when it was revealed, IMHO.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Phenotype posted:

Rebirth constantly amazes me that they took such pains to create a gorgeous world, a great cast, a fun battle system, an interesting plot, and then flubbed it SO UNBELIEVABLY HARD designing the actual battles. So, so many actively bad, unfun design choices, for every couple fights that are exciting and cool there's at least one that has me wondering why I even bother playing.

Skill issue

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm 105 hours into rebirth and I've had 3 fights so far when I thought to myself 'if I really think about this and switch everyone's materia around, I could beat it... But I can't be arsed so I'll put it on easy'

Materia management to change a strategy is way too tedious, need to be able to save sets and temporarily have duplicates marked or just some better way to cross reference a setup. It's fussy and engaging with it is a major pacing roadblock when the story is going crazy and you've already had 2 attempts at a boss.

I am genuinely thankful they included the option, and I've not left it on easy for more than one fight to save menu diving and strategizing. The game is much better for it and you should use the features that keep you having fun.

I do wonder how many hours ive put into rebirth just by switching out materia. Probably 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Augus posted:

FFXVI rules