Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clive ftw

Cid ftw

Jill ftw

Torgal ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That makes sense, the prologue is like 2/3s cutscenes so if you skip them you'll just tear through it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know what the correct opinion about the SMRPG remake is but I think it looks neat and I'm happy it's happening

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really have any issue with SkillUp as reviewer. I don't always agree with him but that's fine. His reviews seem genuine and thorough if nothing else.

Hell I'm not even sure I'll necessarily disagree with his FFXVI review when I actually finish the game. Some of the points he brings up (about the gameplay at least) are things that have been on my mind as potential concerns. It's entirely possible I won't be as bothered by them as he was, but it's possible I will be, too. Won't know until I play more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's hard for me to deal with graphics mode because the motion blur is so awful in it. Performance mode has worse visuals and an inconsistent frame rate but the motion blur is less prominent so I think it's what I'm gonna have to stick with until they patch in the ability to disable motion blur.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just got done actually watching the SkillUp review and the review actually seems really fair. He went into the game wanting to love it and I thought his criticisms felt valid. I didn't get the "it's different so I hate it" vibe from the review at all--he's obviously very open to FF doing wildly different things, he just doesn't think this one pulled off what it set out to do and he thinks it sacrificed too much along the way.

I have no idea if I'm going to actually agree with his review or not (I've barely had time to play myself yet) but he definitely didn't seem like he was just being contrarian or a curmudgeon stuck in the past or anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the Type C control option. R1 as dodge is fine, I feel like I've played at least a couple other games that put mobility on R1 so it doesn't feel too unnatural. The big thing is magic on L1 instead of Triangle is much better. Makes it effortless to be charging a spell during a melee combo and makes magic burst timing much much easier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He says the game has no party members narratively which is provably untrue even if you don't count AI allies in combat.

Ah yeah that's fair. Like I said I haven't gotten very far yet, and I think my giving the review the benefit of the doubt comes down to some of his critiques echoing things I'd been concerned about myself (the combat depth, side quest design, linear dungeons, etc.) so it's easier for them to ring true for me absent my own experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

I am kinda tickled by folk upset that Final Fantasy has gone full action, when Square is releasing like 4 of the best turn-based JRPGs ever this year (Octopath 2, Live A Live on platforms that can handle it, Star Ocean 2, and Super Mario RPG)

Octopath 2 is insanely good and anyone longing for a turn-based RPG really owes it to themselves to play it. Even or maybe especially if you didn't like Octopath 1--I bounced off Octopath 1 really hard but 2 is better in every way to a pretty impressive degree and still might well be my GOTY

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll be honest though, if it turns out Dragon Quest XII is leaving turn-based combat behind, I will be one of those curmudgeons stamping his feet and throwing a tantrum. I'm just putting that out there now, get everyone ready for little crybaby grognard Harrow to emerge.

Action mainline Final Fantasy? Sure, yeah, they've been doing that kind of thing for ages, let's go. Action mainline Dragon Quest? Absolutely not. Illegal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wyoak posted:

If I really hated the combat in 15 and the 7 remake's combat was "not good but tolerable," is 16 another improvement?

Massively better than XV.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If the motion blur's an issue for you, playing in frame rate mode does make it more tolerable, at least for me, even if the frame rate is still inconsistent and the resolution takes a hit. In graphics mode the motion blur really bugs me though. I'll try graphics mode again once the patch comes out that lets you disable it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It’s a lot easier to take DmC on its own terms now that DMCV exists, at least

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thinking back to when FF16 was first revealed and people complained that Clive looked too much like a gruff Western angry white guy protagonist and not enough like a Final Fantasy protagonist and having a lol

Just taking one look at Clive's ridiculously beautiful face should let you know this is a Final Fantasy-rear end character through and through

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can't wait to actually have to insert disc 2 with FF7 Rebirth next year

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think some of what's going on with FFXVI is that, outside of the level of spectacle in its boss fights, it's kind of like... a normal video game. That's not a criticism, but rather just what happens when a Final Fantasy game has a sane development cycle. The graphics are good but not mindblowing. The combat is fun and well-executed but doesn't really do anything new or inventive (nor does it attempt to). It's focused on the one thing it wants to do--a roller coaster of a cinematic story--and everything is bent towards that one thing rather than trying to be everything to everyone.

I wonder if some of the negative reviews are because people were expecting something a little more batshit from a mainline numbered Final Fantasy game because that's what we've gotten from basically all of them after X, in one way or another. But this was developed by a bunch of Realm Reborn and Heavensward veterans and those came about not by reinventing the wheel and taking huge swings but by looking at what other games were doing and iterating on that. FFXVI is similar and so maybe it doesn't feel as "special" or like it's as much of an "event" as some might have expected a mainline Final Fantasy release to be. This effect might even be magnified for people who've played a lot of XIV because XVI's structure is like an FFXIV expansion through and through.

Maybe. I'm just sort of spitballing. But it makes sense to me, at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

I kinda just wanted Ryota Suzuki’s combat to be on par with his previous games :-/.

Honestly I think they were just nervous and afraid to commit too hard to full action. CBU3 seemed painfully aware that a lot of Final Fantasy fans just don't really like action games and they really wanted to make an action game without alienating those fans, to whatever degree is possible. That meant that the action mechanics had to be simplified and streamlined and the encounters couldn't be difficult enough to really require mastery of any of the mechanics.

You can see the same thing happen (with different consequences) with every action FF. FFXV has its weird attempt at a Wait Mode system. FF7R has a somewhat more successful Wait Mode and also a mode that attempts to automate most of the action mechanics. They keep trying to make an action combat system that doesn't alienate ATB/turn-based fans and while they've at least made two action combat systems that feel good to play (7R and XVI), I don't think it's really possible to have it both ways. You just end up with a combat system that satisfies neither group.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think FF7R is still the closest they've come to making a combat system that is both action and Final Fantasy at the same time, though I also know that system is pretty polarizing. People seem to either love it or hate it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm using frame rate mode right now specifically because the motion blur is so unbearable in graphics mode for me. Once they patch in the toggle I'll give graphics mode another try.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

So which PS2 game is FF16 like?

It's basically what you get if you put Devil May Cry 3 and Final Fantasy 12 in a blender and hit the smoothie button

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Including gambits?

Sadly those got left out though I suppose the rings that automate parts of the combat system could be seen as a distant relative

(actually if I was comparing it to games in general, not just PS2 ones, it's DMC3 + FF14)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is a lot more spoilery but while I'm using blenders as a metaphor, the actual main plot basically blends together my three favorite FFs to a pretty hilarious degree: it's like 6, 9, and 12 all mixed together.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

acksplode posted:

Did anyone say chocobo in FF7R? I swear this is the first time I'm hearing VAs pronounce it and it's giving me psychic damage. How is that first O short cmon. Makes these stinky beasts of burden sound like a candy bar

FFX was the first game where they said "chocobo" aloud pretty sure. What's interesting is that they've been saying it with a long o (like "no") instead of like "chocolate" up until now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They've been pronouncing it with a long o (like "choke-uh-bo") in English for a while now. 16's a departure going for something more like "chocolate."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FF7R’s combat owns hard and the fact that they’re adding dual techs in Rebirth (and dare I hope for triple techs???) is the hypest poo poo around

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The only complaint I had about FF7R's combat was that in a number of the boss fights, it seemed like the stagger gauge tended to fill up just as the boss hit one of its hard HP breakpoints. You'd get it to stagger when it was at 52% HP, then you start unleashing your damage moves only for it to hit 50% and immediately whisk itself into a brief cutscene and no-sell the other 100k damage you were about to deliver.

Yeah this is the one thing I didn't really like.

On a replay it almost never happened to me because once you really get the system, you can build stagger much more quickly and actually get some good damage phases in. The problem is, most players aren't going to get to that point until towards the end of their first playthrough, which means you end up with that really frustrating thing where the phase change always happens right as you get a stagger.

Even if they keep doing the stagger reset phase changes in Rebirth, I hope they at least add, like, hashmarks on boss HP bars to let you know when phase changes are coming. That way you at least won't blow all your limit breaks and stuff just to waste them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

acksplode posted:

FF16 sometimes has those cutscenes, but I think they always leave the boss in a stagger state, which is a nice fix.

When they don't, they usually happen at the end of a boss's HP bar, and the next phase starts with them having a new full bar as functionally a new fight with your cooldowns reset. It neatly avoids the frustration FF7R's system could sometimes lead to and yeah both of those would be a good solution.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Finished the end of the first act last night, and I'm a bit at a loss at what they're doing with the story. Clive was trying to find the hooded man (who I really do not remember ever seeing in the prologue -- I even went back to watch the first Ifrit cutscene again but Clive just sees a man made of fire right before he transforms.) And even after Clive realizes it was him, Cid's still telling him to find this hooded Fire Dominant (who I totally called was Joshua), but then as soon as Jill wakes up, it feels like it's forgotten entirely in favor of blowing up the mothercrystal. (Also feel like there should have been some build-up for this reveal -- it feels like out of nowhere, Cid's just like "by the way, here's something that upends the entire structure of society, and it's definitely true.")

The build-up to that is subtle, but it's there. They show you in a few different ways that magic drains lifeforce in this world. First, a key feature of the Deadlands is that they've been drained of aether, which is both what fuels magic and what allows living things to, well, live, so nothing can grow in those areas and you can't use magic at all. Then they introduce the Crystals' Curse, which happens as a Bearer or Dominant starts to run out of their own lifeforce to power their magic and they gradually petrify--it's the Blight on a human scale. And if the Mothercrystals are huge wellsprings of magic, and magic drains aether... then what are the Mothercrystals really doing?

It's not really spelled out or directly hinted at before the reveal, but the clues are all there.

Also about the hooded man: he's there in the prologue, the first time Clive has a headache.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Is there not much in the way of customizing your party’s skills/make up?

There's no party, not in a gameplay sense at least. You have NPC companions for large portions of the story but they're fully AI controlled and you don't control their equipment, skills, or anything.

The main character has a skill tree but you can respec it at any time (except during combat) for free so there's no penalty for experimenting as much as you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I tend to use Garuda just for Rook's Gambit and will breaking (I like the "topple a half-staggered enemy" thing too), though once you have more precision dodge/block moves from other Eikons Garuda loses a lot of her shine. Titan and Shiva both also have parry/dodge moves that are just as good so once you have them it's hard to find room for Garuda anymore IMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

what the gently caress kind of opening paragraph is this

This reads like the writer is trying and failing to imitate Tim Rogers or something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno why but I do really enjoy having multiple pieces of armor to equip to people (Helmet, chestplate, gloves, boots). Final Fantasy 10 minimizing it down to just a weapon and a shield was kind of a shame to me.

I sort of liked having two slots in X if only because it was cool how they both showed up on the character, and I liked how customizable weapons and armor were.

In general though I feel like I like between three and six or seven equipment slots. Fewer than three and it doesn't really feel like an equipment system usually (FFX excepted for some reason), more than six or seven and there are too many individual gear pieces for replacing any one to feel special.

This feels like a weird thing for me to have a preference about but, well

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I know it probably wouldn't make the game any better but I found myself wanting like... a Kingdom Hearts level of control over party members. No direct control or in-battle orders, but you get to manage their equipment and stuff. I'm sure that'd just be a pain in the rear end for some people and it's probably why it's not a thing, but I think I would've enjoyed it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’d agree that 7R is the best version of “actionized Final Fantasy” so far. It does a great job of taking all the systems I’d expect to see in a classic Final Fantasy combat system and putting them into an action framework. I’ve enjoyed 16 a lot and the combat feels fantastic but 7R is even better as an overall package IMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feeling very lucky that my launch Dualsense is still doing fine. Sounds like maybe that’s a rarity

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got an Xbox Elite Controller 2 for my PC a few years back and it crapped out like exactly when the warranty ran out. It was very annoying. The RB just stopped working entirely

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it makes sense to compare them. They're the two most recent major releases in the series and both have action combat, so it's inevitable their different approaches would be compared.

Though at the same time, trying to figure out which one is the future direction of the series is probably silly (even though I'm guilty of it, too) because the most likely answer is that neither of them will be. The rest of the FF7R trilogy will continue that gameplay style, obviously, but chances are whenever FF17 happens, it won't be like either 7R or 16.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry but everyone has agreed to pretend FFXV didn't exist when discussing FFXVI.

It is kind of weird how people just forget 15 existed when they complain about 16 being an action game, like it's the first time the mainline series has done that. I mean, poo poo, on launch FF15 also only let you control Noctis, just like you can only control Clive in 16. Sure, they added the ability to control the other three in the PC/Royal Edition but that wasn't until over a year after its initial release.

I can understand not liking it but it's just weird how people acted like this is the first time it's ever happened.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I might be making this up, but iirc it was also a less big deal because XV was a re-badging of what was originally going to be more of a spin off project (versus xiii)

Yeah that could be. People already got used to this action Final Fantasy project under its original name so when it changed to XV there was less whiplash maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's interesting that 16 commits harder to its climate fiction allegory than 7, the game that starts out with you helping eco-terrorists blow up a planet-draining reactor. It feels like 7 largely drops that in favor of chasing Sephiroth as soon as you leave Midgar, but 16's equivalent is one of the major driving forces in the story the whole time.