Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Folks, my PS+ sub is almost up. Most years I just grab a code from CDKeys but with the change in tiers the discount is pretty underwhelming. Is there a better option?

I'm subbed to Extra right now but only upgraded for Stray; I'm going back down to Essential as my backlog is horrendous enough as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

Can second this. Incredible sense of place, killer sound design, feels good to play, fun in coop.

Thirded. It was a fun little romp that doesn’t take itself too serious, and toed the line perfectly between AA jank and AA quality.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

univbee posted:

Digital Foundry has a video up about the game, too. It's slightly better than the Xbox 4K BC version but not by much.

- Better anti-aliasing so less shimmer
- Better shadows

Otherwise the game is effectively identical, so there are no enhanced models/texture or even better UI (most of the UI elements are 720p) or pop-in reduction. Game renders at 1080p30 on base PS4, and at 4K30 on PS4 Pro and PS5 (there is no difference between the game on PS4 Pro and PS5).

DF also mentioned some cutscene frame pacing issues.

Honestly, if they fixed the above and updated the UI assets to native 4K I think it would be in a pretty good place as a faithful "play launch day RDR on modern hardware" sort of digital preservation, sort of like PC games.

60FPS would be absolutely amazing, but I can live with 30 (even though it's annoying).

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dewgy posted:

From the DF review it sounds like the one goal they went in with was “do nothing particularly special, just don’t gently caress this up” and they more or less did exactly that.

I think I’ll wait for a sale but I’m definitely gonna grab it eventually.

It really smacks of a reaction to the bad GTA remasters. I’m not sure how ambitious those were, but I understand there was a lot of animosity about how they turned out.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

man nurse posted:

Nightdive don’t miss

By all accounts they did with Bladerunner.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I enjoyed Hyperlight Drifter, I enjoyed Death’s Door, I’m waiting to get Tunic when it goes on sale again

Are there more overhead Zelda type games I should check out?

Jotun?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Sony will never do it, but if they made a tier for just cloud saves that's all I'd be subbed to.

I've redeemed a dozen or so PS+ Essential titles since I got my PS5 at launch. Out of those, I'd spent extra money on DLC & Season Passes for a handful. I'm considering just buying legit licenses (or disc copies) of those games I've invested extra in and just letting my subscription lapse. I began subbing to PS+ for MP in Bloodborne and TLoU back in the PS4 days, then let it lapse until I got a PS5 and found the cloud saves an amazing insurance policy. THAT is what will be hard to ditch.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I work from home and sit at my desktop computer for 8-10 hours a day. The idea of just pivoting to gaming and sitting in the same workspace for another few hours makes me want to puke

If you work from home, why aren't you gaming during working hours?? As god intended.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Boy of Joy posted:

Lmao Dead Space remake is coming to Gamepass end of the month and I juuust bought a PS5 sale copy
:negative:

Owning both consoles can be perilous I guess.

Lookin forward to those haptics at least, please tell me they’re good

Ehhhh…I found them mostly distracting. They are just present in the triggers which made rapid firing problematic.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Heh. Bone Lord.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Ghostrunner 2 looks rad and would have been a day 1 for me if so much other stuff wasn't coming out.

I wonder if they tweaked the controller controls at all since the first game. The controls were good, but I felt like some parts were so loving hard and designed with a mouse in mind. I felt like the controls could have been a little more forgiving but it was otherwise great.

I’ve completed GR1 on both Steam and PS5 (PS+) and was astounded at how good the controls were on console. It’s really loving hard on both platforms.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

One of my new ways of tackling games this year was allowing myself to get almost every game I was at least excited/hyped for and focus on those when they come out.

For example I just finished Spider-Man 2 with a day to spare for ALAN WAKE II, then I played just that and just finished it last night. Now I'm ready for Talos Principle 2 this Thursday.

If I have downtime between big games I just tackle some stuff off my backlog, like after final fantasy 16, I played like 6 games off my backlog until Armored Core 6 came out.

My thought process is, I'm trying to avoid adding to the backlog by not waiting for these new/big/exciting games to go on sale and picking up a bunch at once. I'm priorizing tackling them as they come up but when they do come up, I try to focus solely on them.

My backlog is solely made up of titles I bought on sale some time post-release. I don't consider games I buy at launch adding to my backlog problem because they immediately get played (and beaten). It's been at least 5 years since I bought a game on launch and didn't see it through completion.

I really like your approach here - set goalposts with big releases and fill in the time between with backlog cleanup. I often times flip it around and it's not nearly as fun!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How is the performance for Sable? Apparently it was pretty messy on Steam/Xbox and read it's still pretty bad on PS5. It looks like a pretty chill game that's a good add for PS+.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

haveblue posted:

Not great but it’s not an action game, feeling bad never really gets in the way of anything

AcidCat posted:

Seemed fine to me, the only thing I noticed was a stutter anytime it would autosave. Not a game I would have paid for, but it's pretty chill and I enjoyed the couple hours I spent with it last night.

:tipshat:

Thanks, sounds good!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Has anyone here redeemed and played Immortals of Aveum on PS5 and can speak to its performance?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

haveblue posted:

Virtually flawless, it’s 60 most of the time and very nearly all the time in combat. Some scenes drop a frame or two but it feels very smooth when it has to

I never found a performance/quality toggle either, which doesn’t mean there definitely isn’t one

Thanks! At launch I recall it made quite a hub-bub technically because of dodgy performance on consoles and really high performance requirements on PC. Normally I'd get it on PC but I might as well redeem and play it on PS5 as I don't think the difference is enough to warrant 30 bux!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Is BG3 sort of like Witcher 3 where playing the previous games absolutely is not required?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol no witcher 3 is not like that (its the final "fan" conclusion to 7 books and two prior games ) but bg3 is sure, you'll probably have a better experience cos bg1&2 npcs will show up and you wont piss your pants wondering if larian even bothered playing them before making bg3.

Well…CDPR did not expect your average gamer to be all caught up in the previous installments and it showed when I played it. The ending(s) to TW2 were pretty much irrelevant to the main beats of TW3.

So regardless, it sounds like I can pop in to BG3 and be a-ok. Just gotta find a spare 200 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

No one is going to make a sequel that completely cuts out new players, but you absolutely get a lot more out of it if you are familiar with the earlier material. Those moments are going to hit a lot harder for you.

Yeah, I do agree with you. What I got out of the BG3 discussion is the story connections to BG1 and 2 are even more tenuous.