Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I replaced the battery (was <80% capacity) on my 12 mini about a month ago because it was losing charge pretty quickly and was often warm to the touch. Still having the problem a month later with the new apple store replaced battery. It drops from 100% to 70% in 2 hours overnight while doing nothing! New battery is 100% capacity. Literally no data in the battery usage section for those 2 hours. I cleared out a bunch of space by offloading photos, iOS updated, turned off Bluetooth, stopped sharing my location, turned off background app refresh, literally everything I can think of to improve battery performance. Is it time to just factory reset and set up as a new device? Anyone else have this problem and that fixed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Missing Donut posted:

I'm facing pretty much the same issue as you are with my 11. I'm probably going to try that and will let you know if it fixes my issue.

I ended up doing a factory reset with no restore from back up and it seems to have fixed the problem. It could have been a location services issue or find my phone issue or something related to migrating the phone across 3 different generations. Either way it seems to have worked and I went like 4 hours without my phone dropping a single % from 100 while on low power mode. I’ve kept location services off for now but still pretty wild. Find my phone is still on but location is disabled for it so you can ping it but won’t see its location on a map.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Missing Donut posted:

I’ve always limited location services to just a couple apps and only while using the app, just on principle. I don’t think my phone experience has ever been degraded by that setting, but give it a shot and see if it works for you.

I also reset my phone last night and I woke up with the phone using 1% of the battery overnight, so it seems like the reset fixed my phone as well. Maybe it’s just a good idea to reset the phone after replacing the battery.

I had been considering a reset for a couple weeks, and your post was the final motivation I needed to give it a shot. So thanks for the post and your follow up, my phone will be a lot more usable today!

:cheers:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

My iPhone 12 mini camera can’t focus in 1x mode. Works fine in 0.5x mode. I was taking pictures outside, twenty minutes later and it can’t focus anymore. Didn’t drop it or anything. No lens protectors on. Tried restarting, updating to iOS 17. Anyone else experience something like this?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m subbed to Spotify, Apple Music, and Pandora at the same time and I hate it but each one has failings I need the other to cover for.

What the

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Fedule posted:

12 mini reports 80% battery capacity. I was trying to charge it while on a Facetime call and after 10 minutes it overheated and cut off. I cooled it down and continued the call on battery and it took it from 80 to 40% in half an hour.

Come on, phone. Hold out until the 16 Pro drops. Go the full 4 years. I didn't spend all this time being apparently the last person on Earth who appreciates having an iPhone that's the Correct Size for you to die on me now.

I had a similar issue with my 12 mini that persisted through battery replacement. I fixed it with a full factory reset with no restore from back up. So try a factory reset before or after a battery replacement to see if that solves the problem. I think at least 2 other people I’ve suggested this to have gotten this to work as well.

slave to my cravings posted:

I ended up doing a factory reset with no restore from back up and it seems to have fixed the problem. It could have been a location services issue or find my phone issue or something related to migrating the phone across 3 different generations. Either way it seems to have worked and I went like 4 hours without my phone dropping a single % from 100 while on low power mode. I’ve kept location services off for now but still pretty wild. Find my phone is still on but location is disabled for it so you can ping it but won’t see its location on a map.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

15 pro heats up crazy after using the camera for like 2 minutes. Cool.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

pmchem posted:

did this problem go away for you? wondering if it was related to an ios update or being a new phone or something

Not yet. Has been happening since I set up the phone 2 weeks ago as a new phone and used the camera for a few minutes to see what it was like. Phone definitely slows down after a few minutes of camera usage too so it affects performance too.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Just exchange it

That's not typical behavior and Apple loosened up their standards in their new die process for the cpu/gpu chip, so there's going to be stinkers. You got a stinker.

Ok good to know yea I’ll probably just exchange it at some point then. Should be covered by the regular apple 1 year warranty without AppleCare+ right?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

For entering all your thoughts directly into apples servers so they can advertise to you better

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

hatty posted:

Any chance of the battery swelling in these sealed phones and combusting destroying someone’s collection of exotic electronics?

🙏🙏🙏

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Glimpse posted:

A coworker accidentally sent me an audio message that was the sounds of shuffling papers and muttering, and I found I had an unsent several minutes of ambient audio, too. The record button in messages has to go.

It’s so stupid. Put it under the plus icon or something

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Yea that’s what I see too

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

There’s a way to set a timer without saying anything at all

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

AI powered autocorrect

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I think I worked out what this actually was, and am posting here as a warning to future generations.

If you have a USB-C phone and a USB-C battery, you can end up in a stupid situation where the battery charges the phone until a certain point, but then the phone starts charging the battery, and then the battery goes back to charging the phone, until you wake up in the morning and both phone and battery are dead.

I don't think there's any settings on the phone to disable buddy charging, so next time I go camping I think I'll bring a A-C cable instead.

VVV it is a store-brand 12000 mAh USB-C PD device, so not the absolute cheapest aliexpress garbage but not anything from a reputable brand either. Although I'm not sure this issue can be solved by the power bank itself.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Do you have to enable something for visual lookup on the photos? Doesn’t seem to give any info when I have pictures of birds or plants

edit: fixed it. had “show in lookup” disabled in Siri settings. Switched to enable and it works

slave to my cravings fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 4, 2024