Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

My battery health is 84% but I’m starting to have to janitor usage if I know I’m gonna be out for the entire day so I’d like to just get the battery replaced now. Do Apple Stores do same day battery swap replacements?

I don’t have a car so I kinda need my phone for Uber/bus pass.

Use the apple support app to make an appointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

AirPods Max with usb c and a non poo poo case please

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yes. It’s going to be marginally better and have a better camera.

Another step toward ending the tyranny of lightning is a good thing imo

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Please don’t use knock off chargers

I’m moving from a 13 pro to 15 max simply for usbc

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You can’t tell me what to do Tim.

Only YOU can prevent electrical fires!!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The belkin trio one is what I use

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

How do I get standby to work

Its enabled in settings but nothing happens when its on my belkin 3-in-1 charger

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It’s supposed to just activate when the phone is in landscape, charging and on the lock screen.

yeah no worky, thanks tim apple

well i had to tap it to wake it up and i got the "welcome to standby" splash

now how to get a big rear end digital clock with nothing else

kri kri fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 19, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Swipe left to the full screen clock, then up/down.

Thank you

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I dont have a pet albums :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bum cable?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

After moving to a new iPhone (12 to 15, using the direct connection thing to move everything over) I don't have my text message history. Some stuff is there but the literal years of texts I've had all this time don't seem to be. For some reason Messages wasn't enabled in the iCloud settings, so now I'm extremely paranoid I just lost all those old texts since I wiped the old 12 already. iCloud is saying there's 20GB of data for messages so hopefully it'll just appear eventually?

iMessage sync was always disabled by default, welp

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

smackfu posted:

Messages aren’t in an iCloud backup?

Edit:
“If you haven't turned on Messages in iCloud, your messages are included in iCloud Backup. If you use Messages in iCloud, your messages automatically sync to iCloud so they aren’t included in your daily backup.”

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207428

E:misreading

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

Turns out the phone has to be placed in a very specific position, at least compared to my old XS. Crisis averted

Time to upgrade to MagSafe

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't care what "some people" do, I'm talking about me.

Plus you are correct here

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dogen posted:

It locks down the phone and displays a message. You can make it make a sound. It’s easy to turn off once found.

My wife lost her phone at the zoo and I marked it lost and put my cell on the message. Someone called about 20 minutes later.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dogen posted:

External drives making me think of FireWire

Zip drives for me

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Apple Pencil 1.

Almost as big of a joke as the AirPods Max case

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Raymond T. Racing posted:

the Magic Mouse is proof that Apple does the bare minimum:

the Magic Mouse aluminum housing has remained unchanged since 2009

the charging port on the bottom is where the AA battery slot was on the original generation

It’s like a lot of Apple stuff such as HomeKit. Seemingly designed by people who have not and will never use it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Corb3t posted:

I usually wake up 5-10 minutes before my alarm even goes off most mornings.

Yep same

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Some goons have friends and family that talk to them

I have many friends and family, silent 24/7 365 gang gang

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TACD posted:

I assume everyone using Apple Music doesn’t have a Mac? I found it truly unusable because almost every time I added an album to my library it would show up duplicated in Music.app on the Mac.

Spotify became unusable when it started auto-playing some random track on startup, inevitably blasting music through the office before my headphones had finished connecting to my phone.

Tidal is good for now, even though I’m increasingly feeling like an out-of-touch old man for what I think are incredibly basic requirements :corsair:

I use apple music and a mac, works fine for me

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

people realize you can download playlists and music to your phone right?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So what the heck is up with live sports scores in the dynamic island or Lock Screen? I never had them show up at all until the Cavs/Warriors game just randomly started showing the live score. From a quick google, it seems that if it’ll show teams you follow in News, even though the scores are provided by the Apple TV app.

I follow a handful of teams, including Ohio State, who was playing prior to the Cavs game, but nothing has ever shown up before.

I think they call this live activities

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For All Mankind and Silo are good. Mythic Quest was good, but tapered off.

Mankind season 3 was awful, hope the new season is better.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did you go to some money laundering 3rd party place or something?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

flashman posted:

This is what the lady on the phone told me it would cost for an iPhone 14 pro max screen replacement. This is other country money so probably 700?

I do not want a new screen I want iOS 16 or at least one that let's me charge my phone once again by plugging it in. Barring that I want a new freaking phone but they are not very cooperative

Sounds like your phone is out of date, I’d restore and update

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

flashman posted:

900 Cad which is ~650 usd? I donno dude it's what the lady on the phone told me, a 1400 dollar hold on cc to get a loaner and 900 to fix the screen.

I am sitting here looking at a turned off phone that's plugged in, and will be fully charged when I turn it on, so no they don't.

Like do a factory reset and download the updates again, or use the iTunes on computer to do it?

Edit: I will follow the instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 when I get to a computer with iTunes, thanks man

Yep, I use a Mac though so I use configurator if I’m wiping something since you can very easily restore and update.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

I do have the Apple Card, but it wouldn't pull the details from my Wallet.app even though I bought my latest iPhone on my old iPhone, so I just did it on my debit card :shrug:

I could probably memorize my number and CVV like I do my Debit card but I have the Apple Card's CVV rotate on a regular basis so that makes it a little hard

Just put ur cards in 1Password

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I would disagree with this. I ordered a bunch of 10,000 mAh portable batteries about a year ago and all the random Amazon ones had some kind of issue. Only the Anker one performed as advertised.

Yeah not sure why anyone would gently caress around with off brand power poo poo. I’d rather not chance it thanks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Any wireless earphones in the ~$30 price range that you’d consider passable?

Used AirPods?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

AirPods Max are very choice aside from the granted large issues of lighting and the downright terrible handbag case.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hed posted:

His apple ID is still in use by like 3-4 people in his family,

:chloe:

like other people have said create new apple ids for the other people. my daughter has had one since he was 2 or something

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can you set him up with virtual credit cards?

Would be nice to have elderly controls like child controls.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I would set up a virtual card with a low monthly limit

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Great point.

Backup to a connected computer of any sort unfortunately sounds nice, but wouldn’t be great since a lot of people just do not have a computer anymore (choice or affordability).

It has to be choice, computers are basically free now.

Thinking of the nightmare iTunes is on our corporate laptops, just straight up broken as poo poo. We are 99%+ windows tho

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Not trying to get into politics, but there is a significant portion of people in the US at least who can’t afford a computer, internet, etc, and to just say “computers are basically free” is honesty extremely short sighted. Insert all the dumb poo poo for the US on lack of social safety net and just everything on not looking out for poor people.

I guess I’m just in a good state

https://www.pcsforpeople.org/locations/stpaul/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

is there anyway to disable icloud backup for certain photos/images.. or maybe a specific folder or is it all or nothing?

Nope, but I use the hide function

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

The secret to not being worried if your phone is on silent is to leave it on silent 100% of the time.

phone and watch always on silent is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It was really kind of weird going to the Fruit Srand today, taking the items I wanted off the shelf and using the Apple Store self checkout. Walking out felt like stealing but hey; less people to talk to.