Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kirios posted:

As someone with an (old) bartender's license I'd like to volunteer to serve up your mixed drinks of choice on Dynamic Island!

Took me way too long to realise you weren't taking about the Mac app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic posted:

Thread, what case brands are we recommending? I've got a Spigen on my 12PM currently, and I know they were recommended in the previous thread. But who else? Apple brand cases? Are Otterboxes still used?

Caudabe Sheath 👌🏻

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Feedbacker posted:

Anyone have experience with Pitaka cases?

The edges are a little too sharp to be comfortable in the hand for long periods

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic posted:

So there isn't one brand to recommend in the OP? Spigen, Caudabe, Apple, Otterbox...they all sound like they're good for different reasons.

No, not really. There are a lot of good case brands. As someone who has bought far too many, here like the top 5 I'd recommend that other people also seem to like a lot:

• Caudabe Sheath
• Spigen Liquid Air
• Phone Rebel (whatever generation case they're currently on)
• Apple (Silicone, Clear, or Leather)
• Otterbox Symmetry

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just get the Apple leather case. It’s super nice and what I’ve used almost exclusively for going on a decade now.

I don't personally like using leather things

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Grumbles posted:

edit: Someone shared this in the previous thread, but the new image cut-out feature - how do you save those as transparent PNGS for use elsewhere? It kind of sucks that outside of iMessage it gets a white BG. I'm in the UK, so very few people I know use iMessage on the reg - it's all WhatsApp here.

Unless it's changed recently, WhatsApp sends everything as jpegs. Maybe they'll change it now that the cut-outs are a thing?

A way around it, I assume (I haven't tried yet) would be to use a third-party WhatsApp 'sticker creator' which would then let you send the cut-outs as stickers.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't it "vegan leather", so really it's cellulose and plastic?

No, it isn't which feels weird considering the ethos Apple usually tries to puts across

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mister Facetious posted:

B:) since you have to take it out of your pocket to see it anyway, just use tap to wake, and that way it won't be constantly wasting battery life in your pocket

The always-on display turns off if it's in your pocket, face down, or detects you've moved far enough away when wearing an Apple Watch

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Combat Pretzel posted:

Because the screen goes around the pill, to me visually, it gives the impression the screen's larger than with the notch. Some optical illusion kind of thing. Both my old and new iPhone are 6.1".

The screen is actually a few pixels bigger and has a narrower bezel, but it's so slight that it's probably not that

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

TraderStav posted:

Completely forgot about the higher refresh rate. Will be a nice bump from 12pro

You're look at your old phone with disgust. It's so nice

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can we get a Dynamic Island trip report?

Needs suiting. Animations are extremely clean and smooth. Works out of the box with all audio apps. Excited to see what third parties can do and to get some sports scores up there

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

~Coxy posted:

I actually think the audio app in the island is a bit bizarre and probably just Apple reaching for day 1 functionality.
It takes up a lot of space (basically makes the island bigger than the notch ever was) and doesn't display anything useful.
Tapping the island to go to your audio app is slower than using the app switcher unless you have a 6" thumb.
Reachability doesn't move the island down either.

If the "graphic equalizer" part could be a skip button instead that would be a bit more functional.

I like it personally. I'm a sucker for seeing audio waves.

The Reachability thing is fixed in the 16.1 beta apparently

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cat Hassler posted:

Installed iOS 16 today. Estimated download time - 12 minutes. An hour later was still going

Don’t like the bolded font for the time on the Lock Screen :argh:

You can change the font in the customise bit

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Inner Light posted:

Tbqh I don't LOVE any of the like 6 fonts available. :smugdon:

Their serif font New York looks classy af imo :monocle:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the best option for setting up my new phone? restore a fresh backup from my computer or use the bluetooth transfer?

last time i couldnt get my iphone to show up on itunes (PC) and i was stuck doing a restore from the cloud which required re-downloading a shitload of stuff

My go to is still the encrypted computer backup. Need the devices to show up for that, though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I’ve learned something! Did they move the sim tray then, as it’s exactly where it was on my XR.

SIM tray is on the left side below the volume buttons on at least the 13 Pro and 14 Pro

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kalman posted:

Get an adhesive pop socket and stick it onto a baseplate like this and you can just pop it off to wireless charge.

They have official MagSafe PopSockets though, and they're the best

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snuffman posted:

What's wrong with Brave, exactly?...was what I was going to say until I went to their site and realized they've really leaned into the free-dum types. I can accomplish everything Brave says with Firefox and a few plugins without my browser mining crypto or wherever those brave crypto tokens are coming from.

:911:

I also love Firefox, but Brave is my Chromium browser of choice. It's really easy to disable the crypto stuff, and it's pretty fast and stable.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Inner Light posted:

I’m gonna have to switch from Chrome to Firefox as my main on my PC because word is that a Chromium change happening in 2023 will permanently break ublock origin

June 2023

There is a slightly less powerful version available that supports manifest v3.

Brave had said they will support it until Google removes it from Chromium. Wonder if they'll do that as soon as June 2023 since they clearly have an interest in less powerful ad blockers

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

teagone posted:

It will be Edge's time to shine.

Did they go through with that super scummy buy now, pay later stuff?

Also Edge is following the Chrome rollout exactly, so no

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bad Purchase posted:

haven't tried changing the browser on my phone though. is it still the case that every browser on the iphone is required to just be a UI wrapper around the built-in safari renderer, or have they finally relaxed that?

Yeah, that's still the case and I think Safari is still the only one to support extensions (don't actually know if it's technically possible for the third-party ones to even interface with WebKit enough to support their own extensions)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Endless Mike posted:

This? If so, no, it's still there.

Think they're talking about light/dark wallpapers

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Endless Mike posted:

Carrot has a widget for this

Carrot has a widget for everything*

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SourKraut posted:

Is iPhone 11 Pro -> iPhone 14 Pro a big enough change to be worth it?

120Hz from the 13 Pro onwards is worth it alone imo

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, hard to say, because I’m similar to the other poster, message sync between my iPhone and Mac has been iffy for years. I will say recently i think it’s better, but that’s anecdotal.

Have you enabled Messages in your iCloud settings? It's been rock solid for me since that's been a feature, but was shaky before that.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I hear this a lot, so maybe I'm the weirdo that doesn't notice/mind moving from my 11 to my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro screen at all.

The Grumbles posted:

Yeah I gotta say that my biggest trepidation was the mismatched refresh rates, going from Pixel 6 to a 13 Mini, when I use a 120hz 11'' iPad pro, but I honestly don't notice it in the slightest. I think there were maybe 10 minutes when I first booted up the iPhone that I may have noticed it? Maybe it's more of a big deal on bigger phones? Maybe I have old man eyes now I'm in my 30's?

I tend to notice it more on my phone than my iPad.
I also find that switching between different sizes, the refresh rate being different doesn't bother me, but say I had two of the same device side by side (computer monitors are a good example) them being mismatched drives me insane.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'd probably switch to Apple Music if they supported Last.fm scrobbling, but I don't really ever see that happening. There are third-party apps that support it, but then there are other downsides. So, Spotify it is.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

The biggest crime of apple music is it has that little infinity icon activated by default, so when I finish playing an album or song I picked from the search results page it'll decide I need more music and draw a random song from a random genre out of a hat to surprise the gently caress out of me and send me scrambling for the stop button.

I mean it's good that I can turn the behavior off, so I guess this is mostly a complaint about the horrible discoverability of features in iOS. I shouldn't need google to figure out preferences.

Spotify also has this on by default and turned off by a setting, though?

I also hate it, but I feel like most people just want the music to keep playing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

So the main difference between it and a shared album where you give people full permissions is just the ability to edit and delete photos and it not using up their own iCloud storage? They both feel like such similar features to me that it may as well have been rolled into just extra functionality for shared albums, since you could at least do it with multiple different groups of people in that case.

Shared Albums doesn't share full quality images and Shared Libraries do

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lightningproof posted:

I’ve been using Mela as a recipe app recently. Does everything I remember Paprika doing but less outdated design. Might be worth a look.

Ooo. It's by the Reeder guy

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

~Coxy posted:

I definitely find the battery on the 14 Pro to be worse than the 13 Pro.
Could just be the AOD.

Might be a placebo but I feel like it's got better since the latest 16.2 beta that let you turn off the wallpaper on the AOD

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EL BROMANCE posted:

Weird, I've always kept my Match subscription but it's never tampered with my playlists whenever I've ventured into Music (like yourself, on trials).

That's because you kept your Match subscription

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Puddin posted:

My wife is looking to upgrade from an 8 to a 14 and is looking for a decent folio case.

Anyone have any recommendations?

My recommendation would be not to use a folio case

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Under Software Update in iOS Settingsg, is Beta Updates appearing just standard for everyone now? Or is it because I have registered for beta releases in the past?

I believe it appears if your Apple ID is the same as the one registered to a developer account. There's also a way to add your developer account if you use a different email

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

For languages that don’t use the Roman alphabet, is there a way in Apple’s translate app to show pronunciation or is this the usual case of “just use Google’s app”? Both have the option to have the phone say the translation out loud but it would be nice to try to say things for myself.

More like "just use DeepL"

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DeepL also doesn’t show the pronunciation guide :(

Sorry I somehow completely misread and thought you wanted it read aloud

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smackfu posted:

A new Pride wallpaper that has a neat animation but is otherwise ugly, and a Sports tab in Apple News. That’s what is in the upgrade.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/18/ios-16-5-patches-39-security-flaws-3-actively-exploited/

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

1Password user here, have they updated it where it’s officially out ? Any hiccups.

The main reason I haven’t used an authenticator yet is my wife and I share a 1Password account (works super well), so I’ve been hesitant on rolling it out and then it only works on my phone.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you confusing OTPs and Passkeys?

If you're just talking about 1Password 8, then it's been out for like 14 months

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hatty posted:

I use my iPad vertically unless I’m watching a video or reading a comic

Why would you read comics in landscape? An iPad in portrait is like the perfect aspect ratio for a comic book page.

Xabi posted:

I haven’t been following iPhone rumours lately. Is USB-C the only new feature worth to mention with the 15 - and are we sure that’s even happening?

iPhone 15 Ultra with a periscope camera, perhaps

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hatty posted:

I have the Big Pad and double page spreads looks really nice

Mister Facetious posted:

If you set mangadex to fit-vertical, you can run two apps and the size of the page won't noticeably change.

Endless Mike posted:

Landscape is pretty much the exact aspect ratio of a two-page spread, so why wouldn't you read it that way unless you just can't read the writing (which is a perfectly valid reason!). (Of course, I have a Pro Big, so I basically never use it in portrait)

Hmm. I'll give it a go

Mister Facetious posted:

If you set mangadex

Just in case you don't know, there's an open-source app called Aidoku for reading Manga, and it's great. Supports a tonne of websites and can sync your progress to AniList/MAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, likely preorder date of Sept 8, launch date of Sept 15. Not official yet, but I’d bet money on it.

Yeah, I'll take that bet. It'll be 15th, 22nd