Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Inner Light posted:

I’m gonna have to switch from Chrome to Firefox as my main on my PC because word is that a Chromium change happening in 2023 will permanently break ublock origin

There's word Opera might keep the older ad-blocker APIs around. You never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is the ideal battery management panel. You might not agree with me, but this is what Peak Performance looks like.

(:v:)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm setting up an iPad for a friend who is not very technically literate. Can someone recommend an ad blocker [ed: for Safari or Firefox] that:

• Is free or a one-time payment (i.e. not a subscription)
• Blocks all ads including YouTube ads
Requires no interaction after initial configuration (this is the really important bit)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 3, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

We won't be installing/using the YouTube app, so that's not a big deal.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If I could ease off on the 'interaction' requirement, what is there?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

Just when we get MagSafe back on the MBPs we have to lose it again? Are you serious

Existing MBPs can already charge over USB-C. They just also have MagSafe.

The law doesn't say devices can only charge over USB-C, just that they must.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Inner Light posted:

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want a list of stolen IMEIs shared with cops?

What happens when someone who wants to cause trouble for you gets your (not stolen) IMEI put onto the list of stolen IMEIs?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

lol if you don’t unlock your phone with a 10-character passcode

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Inner Light posted:

iPhone 7 is an ancient device bordering on unsupported by Apple,

Good thing I’m rocking an iPhone 7 Plus, then :smuggo:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can anyone recommend some thin rubber feet that can fit on the back of my iPhone and keep it in place when it's lying flat on a table?

(Note: I'm not looking for a phone case - I like how slim the phone is. But its camera bump means it doesn't rest flat on a table, and, well...)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

Growing up on MacAddict Forums, rip/mix/burn, and the early days of the iTunes Music Store with 99¢ per track!; albums were always this very boomer concept to me.

I don't think I've ever listened to an album start to finish except for Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds.

Oh hey, I remember getting MacAddict Magazine! The disc was the real highlight of the whole thing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus as the amount of space (32 GB) is getting constrained.

However, there are some issues:

• I want a large form factor phone (this is critical or I won't be able to use it)
• I don't use a phone case, but all iPhones after the 7 have glass backs - what's most resistant to damage? It'll be in my pocket up against my keys.
• I'd prefer the front bezel to be white if possible

What would people recommend?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) 14 Plus or Pro Max (including refurbs) are your only (Apple) options

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention:

• Assume I'm buying the phone used. Just say what model you think would be best and I'll ask my local independent computer store to fish one up.

quote:

2.) Glass is higher on the mohs scale than steel, the main source of scratches in pockets is going to be sand. The frame is another story though, that sumbitch will scratch whether it's steel or aluminum.

OK, that's a weight off.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Duckman2008 posted:

Just to check: are you in the US or not ? US has an on going carrier price war, so sometimes you can get good deals. Postpaid only.

13 pro max if you can find it used would be a good option otherwise.

I'm in Canada. I also won't purchase a phone on contract under any circumstances; I would prefer to buy an older used iPhone with a replacement battery (sadly my local used computer store didn't have an 8 Plus in white) but I'll take whatever as long as the size is good (see below).

The Lord Bude posted:

I feel like if someone’s coming from a 7 plus then they are used to and probably specifically want a large phone. OP made a point of saying ‘I want a large form factor phone, this is critical or I won’t be able to use it’

It’s not clear if the requirement for large form factor is for the purposes of screen real estate or physical size - it could be the latter, they may have some sort of condition which makes holding or carrying a smaller phone more difficult.

As for bezels though, iPhones don’t really have bezels any more.

I'll adapt to the lack of a bezel, I guess. But yes, I do want a physically large phone; I have big hands.

Gay Retard posted:

I'm pretty amazed you've gotten by with a 32GB iPhone for this long - managing a device's app storage sounds like my worst nightmare. Give me the extra storage so I don't have to think about it for the next 3+ years of the device. The last time I had 32GB of storage in my phone was over a decade ago with the iPhone 5 :aaaaa:

The secret is that I use it as my secondary computing device; my primary is a MacBook Pro which has effectively inexhaustible space. What's taking up the space on my iPhone is mobile games :v:

I've only had the phone for about two years; before that I was on a flip phone because the MacBook Pro did everything.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

iOS question: I’ve got a 13 Pro running 16.2. Since I updated to 16, if I ever copy something to paste into another app I always get a notification that says “Do you want to allow (app I copied from) to paste to (app I am in now)?” I always say yes then have to paste again. But every day this resets and the apps never remember that I gave permission to paste. How do I make this behavior go away so I can just copy and paste between apps without getting the annoying dialogue?

To give lasting permission, you have to go to the destination app's section in Settings and change "Paste From Other Apps" from 'Ask' to 'Allow'.

This only appears after you've tried to paste into that app at least once.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How do I increase the volume of phone calls? It doesn’t seem to respond to the volume buttons.

ed: During the phone call, not the volume of the ringtone.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

Ah, you must be one of those rare and elusive "Uses a MacBook but with an Android phone" people. You're missing out on all the great handoff stuff like Airplay and Universal Clipboard!

Are you fine with your iPhone 8 losing software OS updates in a year or two?

As an iPhone 8 Plus user: I'll cross that bridge when it shows up.

• It's worth noting I don't really use any of the iPhone-to-Mac features. And my main Mac is old enough for them not to apply anyway.
• The main reason I'm using an old phone is I like Touch ID and the physical home button.
• It does everything I need it to, with sufficient power for my mobile games and means of communication.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The sleep alarms are all loving awful and it’s ludicrous that I can’t select a normal alarm tone for them. I hate it too. No, the birds flying through a lovely mist on the eastern slope of the Alps doesn’t loving wake me up. Give me radar you idiots.

Yeah, I went to the trouble of setting up a custom alarm (video game music!) and I am used to waking up to that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

xzzy posted:

A way to throttle notifications on a per app basis in Settings would be nice too. Yeah you're minutes to two buzzes every ten minutes, Messages.

Focus can at least silence apps on a per-app basis. I use that with Signal because I'm in a signal group chat with some friends and uh...

they're loud.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I do remember someone once tried to clean my MacBook Pro's screen.

With Windex.

It stripped off the glossy coating, but only in parts.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Chin Strap posted:

I'm not an iPhone person. My 73 year old mom is still on an iPhone 7 and I want to get her something at least somewhat better.

What's a good sweet spot model year for an old person just doing basic web and media consumption?

An iPhone 8 (Plus) :v:

I still run one and I am having a lovely time.

(I still love the existence of a physical Home button.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

They make the iPhone SE for people like you.

Unfortunately, I have long fingers and the SE is too small. For me it is a Plus form factor or nothing.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

Are you going to move over to an iPad mini tethered to an Apple Watch cellular when they finally stop supporting larger iPhones with TouchID, or finally bite the bullet and upgrade to an iPhone with Face ID?

I don't actually use Touch ID for most things as it is. I just like having a physical Home button to press.

When that day comes, I'll probably grudgingly upgrade to a newer iPhone set to passcode-only.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

dexter6 posted:

Yes

I’m not sure if there is a max but I just did 11 destinations in Apple Maps

In a row?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Got a Shortcuts question.

If I take a screenshot and save it when the source was one of certain apps (i.e. if I'm taking a screenshot from a game), can I have it be sorted into a different folder in Photos so it doesn't appear in my regular camera reel?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Queer Grenadier posted:

For you case optional folks - screen down, or camera bump down?

I always go camera bump down because it’s stronger material and I prefer no scratches to my screen. I figure if the camera ever did get messed with, it’s more likely AC+ would replace it than a cosmetic scratch to screen.

Camera bump down (I'm using an iPhone 8 Plus). If the phone rings or an alarm goes off I want to see what's actually going on.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Consummate Professional posted:

Is there any way I can turn off asking permission to paste? I am going nuts

Go to Settings > [the app in question you want to paste into] > Paste From Other Apps > Allow.

This only appears after the first time you get asked for paste permissions for that app, but it must be set in Settings.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Consummate Professional posted:

Good god that is bad. Thank you.

Apple really, really wanted to make sure you couldn't just click through it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Babymetal? I see you are a person of culture.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arivia posted:

I want a MagSafe pony.

No, for that you need to look at NagSafe. :horse:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

beuges posted:

The only argument I can see against sideloading would be that it could increase the risk that some exploit in an unrelated app could somehow result in other malware being installed via the sideloading feature.
But if they require you to first flip a switch to enable sideloading before being able to install an alternate App Store then that should hopefully keep things as is for the most part.

The main threat I can see is if some apps only release on the sideload store, and then an entity requires users to install them. Examples could include work or school MDM [or tracking] apps.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What province are you even in? The Yukon or something? That's the only reason for why I can think of you being gouged.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Reasons why Goldman hates Apple Card:
- every statement closes the same day; this is apparently hell on their consumer finance support
- heavily encourages not carrying a balance, so no making money on interest
- the aforementioned cashback and splitting fees with Apple

This sounds like good reasons to have one, tbh.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I still love the iPhone 8 Plus. It's nice and big, and has a physical home button.

I don't care about TouchID, though - mostly I just do passcode only.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rinkles posted:

There’s apparently a new “Core Technology Fee” that heavily penalizes apps that are sold outside Apple’s ecosystem (won’t affect devs that stick to the App Store only).

.50 euros per install per account on an annual basis. The first 1 million installs are free for all developers, but after 1 million installs, the fee comes into play.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/25/ios-17-4-alternative-app-marketplaces-eu/

Note that that's per install, so emulators will still have a rough time of it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: Chromium's Blink engine originally started its life as a fork of WebKit. Only Gecko (Firefox) has a _completely_ different engine.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok I don’t want to say criminals are dumb because a lot of them aren’t but it seems like every week there’s a video of an Apple Store getting robbed in broad daylight when it’s most convenient imo. But I’m pretty sure these robbers know these units are all going to be locked so what happens to these stolen iPhones/ipads/macs? Are they being parted out? Is the money from that even worth the risk? Aren’t most Apple parts soft locked anyway to their T chip these days? Are there Apple chop shops?

I am told, based on Find My data from people who had their phones pilfered, that the phones are immediately shipped back to China (usually around or near Shenzhen) to be disassembled and used for parts (by the thieves) if possible.

So yes, there are Apple chop shops, on that side of the Pacific Ocean.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaocaholica posted:

I get it but it’s just like local news abc7. It’s like if you watch one you get fed all of them even if it isn’t some racist influencer but just local news videos lol. I may be wrong but I don’t remember broad daylight casually clearing Apple Store tables being a thing pre pandemic. It’s definitely a new trend.

quote:

It is the one great weakness of journalism as a picture of our modern existence, that it must be a picture made up entirely of exceptions. We announce on flaring posters that a man has fallen off a scaffolding. We do not announce on flaring posters that a man has not fallen off a scaffolding. Yet this latter fact is fundamentally more exciting, as indicating that that moving tower of terror and mystery, a man, is still abroad upon the earth. That the man has not fallen off a scaffolding is really more sensational; and it is also some thousand times more common.

But journalism cannot reasonably be expected thus to insist upon the permanent miracles. Busy editors cannot be expected to put on their posters, "Mr. Wilkinson Still Safe," or "Mr. Jones, of Worthing, Not Dead Yet." They cannot announce the happiness of mankind at all. They cannot describe all the forks that are not stolen, or all the marriages that are not judiciously dissolved. Hence the complex picture they give of life is of necessity fallacious; they can only represent what is unusual. However democratic they may be, they are only concerned with the minority.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

smackfu posted:

My case is my bezel.

My voice is my password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hed posted:

one of my kid's friends has an iphone 4 (model A1332) that is locked at the "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes" screen.

This is from an era that's before I even had one so I'm unfamiliar... is there a way to unlock it without just resetting it? He doesn't remember the password but I didn't know being so old if there was something I could exploit.

I looked on the Apple forums, and it's either reset with a computer, or take it to the fruit stand. This doesn't exclude the possibility of there being a way to, like, hack into it or whatever, but that's beyond my knowledge.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 10, 2024