Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Very smooth transfer process from AT&T to Verizon. Thank you Duckman2008.

Also I forgot to downgrade to mainline but the new phone just asked me if i wanted to join beta with the phone when setting it up which saved a lot of time.

Note to loving self though: open up the podcast app you are going to use before leaving, they're all babies about cellular downloads on first use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

drat my BlackBerry Storm cosplay is at an end.

~Coxy posted:

Steve was right all along.

drat this has me feeling something.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 20, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I just put Velcro tape on the back of an official MagSafe and stuck it on a wall next to my bed. I like it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
GPS seems to be working again in the second beta update if anyone with a 14 pro noticed it wasn't working with beta 1 (explains why waze was going nuts on my drive yesterday).

Xabi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the new Home app is a confusing mess?

I did not like it at first but now that I'm used to it after two months, well, it's okay. I think the concept of organizing everything by rooms was one that worked for me, this is a little jumbled. But I've been able to work with it.

An important thing to note is that some of the button works like a switch, some of it works like a thing that pops up a menu. Which isn't very intuitive. Or at least wasn't for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

macos settings still seems pretty good to me, but maybe that’s because i’m judging it compared to windows and linux desktop equivalents instead of something sane and simple

The fact that Spotlight actually works on mac helps a lot, if you don't know where it is it'll show up on your search. Windows moves settings every six months and the search works about half the time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had similar car play issues as the last page, but what worked for me is when I got a new phone I didn’t have the issues anymore.

I bought a foam pad to try to minimize shock from minor road bumps that caused disconnect and just figured I was having bad cable luck and finally ended up buying one that has a light when the cable is plugged in so I could see if was losing power or whatever.

But I am still using the old cable since the new one took forever to come, and in the three weeks since I got the new phone, no disconnects, even with the phone in hand or in the passenger seat or rolling around on the floor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

Proto-siri told you what you were playing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Reposting this here as well to get more eyes on it as this seems to be more of an iOS problem than a HomeKit problem:

Tried this and it didn't fix anything, unfortunately

Also tried this to no avail.

Sometimes the GPS on my phone is glitchy when I'm driving and it will be convinced I'm a block over for a while until it's finally able to recalibrate. This was an issue on both my previous and current iPhone so it's definitely an iOS issue. I suspected that this was the root of the problem here so I have been trying to open up my automation's location setting whenever my lights would turn off / back on at night to see if I could catch it in the act. I was finally able to last night. Watching the map I could see my location wandering all over the block for several minutes until it finally stabilized on my home again.

An easy fix to this seems like it would be to simply increase the radius of what's considered my home, but the problem is the radius selector is insanely sensitive where if I barely touch it it goes from my block to the entire city. After fiddling with it for several minutes I just couldn't get it to work and gave up. However I was able to grab a bunch of screenshots of my position wandering around so I can give that to Apple Support if I decide to go that route.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I don't care if it's hacky. Either something that will prevent my position from wandering around the block at random times or somehow increasing the radius of my home location will work.

Yeah it returned for me in the beta released before yesterday; it got so bad I ended up turning the auto home stuff off. Which is frustrating because we had gone almost two weeks between public betas instead of the normal every-week cadence. In the end Apple had me submit screen captures of my GPS icon moving around every time I tapped my phone. Ultimately I think this is a GPS problem and not a homekit problem but it feels bad either way.

Tentatively it seems resolved in yesterday's public beta, but it didn't get bad until a day or so in the last one so I'm not willing to say it's fixed yet. Also editing scenes is broken, you HAVE to add or remove them only.

This has been the most buggy the public beta has ever been. I upgraded homekit and I really wish I hadn't because now i"m stuck on beta and would have just exited otherwise.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lordshmee posted:

One disappointing thing about my upgrade from an 8 to a 14 is the battery performance. I am a weirdo that exclusively uses his phone to play audiobooks and podcasts when walking/hiking/driving. That’s literally all I ever do with it. I average 30 minutes of screen time per week. For years with my 8, I never had to plug my phone in to charge at home. It was sufficient to keep it fully charged just having it plugged into my car every day. Hell, I bought the 14 because I started to notice the need to plug in at home every other week.

Yet, with the 14, from the first week I had it, I’m finding it under 50% after a week, week and a half. Nothing about my routine or usage has changed. I even turned off the fancy Lock Screen widgets and disabled all background app updates. Still this constant drain. I hear people talk all the time about how they have to plug in every day but this is utterly alien to me. Does it sound to anyone like I might have a substandard battery or did I maybe just get a super freak battery on my 8?

Do you use the standard podcast app? You might want to check the settings and see how often it is doing background refreshes. It does them even if you turn them off because it's a very poorly designed app, but it will do them less often like this.

The battery is supposed to theoretically adapt to how you use it but in practice the others are right that you kind of need to charge it every night. One note though, the first couple weeks you have a phone it will gobble battery because it basically re-indexes everything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TACD posted:

Oh, well that explains why Podcasts consistently uses more battery than any other app on my phone. Where can you see the frequency of background app refreshes? All I can find is a toggle to enable/disable them per app.

I don't know if there's any way to actually see the frequency, I just noticed there would be rss changes and downloads already complete when I would open the app even though I have background refresh off.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Auto updates usually work for me eventually although sometimes that eventuality is like a week later. Some of this is my fault for sure since I am still awake most nights between 2-4.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'll be surprised if we are still using dynamic island like 4 years from now but it's pretty cool now for sure.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I’m mad I spent half an hour setting up arrive/leave and on-message notifications for shortcuts because they just pop up a notification to run, which I might notice 2 hours later. What’s the point. If it’s the stalkers just delete the non-automation automation functionality. Just want to turn on lights when I get home and put cats on the TV., and message my housemate if they need anything when I get to the grocery store

I think if you cut out the message your friend part this will work. I think.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are there any apps that can get access to non-Homekit smart home stuff (bulbs and plugs, maybe even cameras too but that seems unlikely) that has a modern style widget that I can put on my homescreen? I exclusively have Tapo (TP-Link) stuff in my house but their widget is still the only pre-iOS 15 or whatever one that has to live at the very bottom of the side-widget screen which is a bit inconvenient.

There's an app called Watt that I can use for more detailed Shortcuts accessing my Tapo devices but it doesn't seem to have a widget.

I don't know about the particular brand but sometimes long pressing/force pressing/whatever pressing the company's app lets you do some commands.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I really hate the thing where there's a bug in the latest main release, it's fixed in the subsequent betas for the next release, and then is back again when the next main release comes out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
From a price perspective Tile has been very competitive since airtags game out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Do they work everywhere?

Well, they claim to do a similar thing to Apple as long as someone has the tile app on their phone, but I guess now that everyone turns "let app find devices via bluetooth" off it probably doesn't work anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

The new satellite feature is super cool IMO but it's clearly a first gen beta implementation, I assume once us idiots that bought a 14/14pro provide enough data for Apple to start cramming more features in it's gonna get a lot better.

It can definitely get better, but worked good enough to get me out of the woods when my slid into a snowbank just after christmas and got stuck in muddy snow, glad I had it. There were some times where it was a bit frustrating trying to keep track of the satellite but overall it worked.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think notification summaries are great but the problem is for me that it just doesn't go far enough. I wish I could just set it so I only got notifications like every 5 minutes or so. The thing that just absolutely drives me insane is when I get a slew of notifications back to back, and all notifications I've made a decision to not stick in the summaries because I can't wait 6 hours to see them. I guess I should just be throwing on the personal focus but it's hard to predict when this sort of thing is going to happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I go for large wallets it makes life so much easier.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I thought my car had awful carplay or the cables were awful . . . even bought some "high end" thick cables and some foam padding to reduce the motion of the phone, which seemed to be the most common times when poo poo went bad. . . but then when I switched from the 12 to the 14 it magically works great. Which makes me wonder if my ports were dirty or something on the phone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my iPhone X I bought years and years ago. Does it make sense to wait for the iPhone 15 or will the jump from X to 14 be significant enough that it shouldn't matter if I miss out on a few new features with the 15?

It's really hard to say. People are pretty convinced that the switch over to USB-C is happening soon, but no one knows if it's this time or next; that's probably going to be the significant hardware change (probably). And it's been long enough that the phone is gonna feel new to you, at least a little bit, whichever one you get.

The only reason I suggest waiting is if they ever DO have a homerun announcement someday and you want to upgrade day and date is it will be a lot easier if your refresh date is synced to the phone release around October.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Weedle posted:

it’s crazy how bad the ads are on apple news plus. i keep getting free trials and the ads are all If You Own A Home And Are Over 50 Read This or The Government Will Pay You To Install Rain Barrels with like a picture of joe biden or something. real bottom of the barrel dogshit. i wonder what’s up with that. i feel like it didn’t used to be this bad, like i remember seeing ads not so long ago that were actually thoughtfully formatted, not too busy and somewhat blended in with the rest of the page. i guess they don’t offer it on the web because then you could just block the ads with zero effort

What is it about news that attracts these ads? Cuz the same stuff is on whatever Microsoft calls their news if you use Edge.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I hadn't planned on installing ios 17 yet but the latest 16 beta saw the return of the dreaded "map go crazy" bug that makes my phone act like it is running around the neighborhood while it sits motionless in my apartment (see the home automation thread) so I decided I had nothing to lose.

Seems fine so far, the map is acting normal again. It seems a bit hard to get the nightstand mode to trigger for me, although I have a mag safe mounted on the wall with velcro tape so maybe that's just not ideal (I wonder if I should also turn the mag safe horizontal?). It's pretty cool though. It's nice to see my pictures.

KILLER FEATURE they did not advertise is that Shortcuts/Automation now recognize that Arizona time zone exists and you no longer have to add an hour to whatever time you want the automation to go off at as you always have had to do when the time changes everywhere else. The big test is when my night time medication alerts go off is if they go off at the right time or an hour early. They've been clearly working on at least the medication part the last couple of betas because when I have done some driving to New Mexico it alerts me of a time zone change and notifies me of how this may complicate medication . .. .but it hasn't actually figured out that the times it has are wrong when I return home. I guess we'll see.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I like the aesthetics of waze so it's what is on my car play screen a lot of the time, but if I'm trying to actually get somewhere I mostly use Apple maps. Exception is Here We Go had/has(haven't tried offline maps somewhere that I actually need it yet with the download Apple maps) the best offline maps. The turn by turn and lane directions of Apple map work well for me especially with the integration with everything else.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The last false positive I got was for the tag on my car keys while driving which was funny to me. Probably had to do with going into a no-internet place.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wish there was truth to the rumors years ago that Apple were looking at setting up MVNOs in a bunch of markets so traveling with your phone would be cheaper and seamless, with eSIMs being the default standard these days. Still makes me laugh whenever I land somewhere I get a text from AT&T joyfully telling me if I even sniff a MB of data while roaming I’m going to be paying through the rear end for it.

It is funny that with both AT&T and Verizon that I can actually go to Nogales Mexico without my phone picking up a Mexican tower but if I go to Parker Canyon Lake 10 miles north as the crow flies of the border at least, I instantly get a text welcoming me to Mexico and what the rates are (considered a local network now with both so I don’t know why they bother). Proof of geometry.

Generic Monk posted:

I have an older DSLR and would appreciate some way to automatically geotag photos taken with it - is there a recommended app that will export locations and timecodes and let me apply locations to them as part of my Lightroom import? There seem to be a few of them but no idea which of them isn't a scammy waste of time

Geotagr will do this. It’s actually gotten less seamless as the gears of time grind on but it still works.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

It may be too early to ask this but how has the battery life been on the 17 betas so far? I've beta tested in years past but I don't want it to destroy my phone's battery this year.

Last one was fairly bad for me (was having to charge my phone after like six hours but the latest seems closer to normal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
While it's not 100% perfect, your new phone pretty much just becomes your old phone. Sometimes in ways maybe it shouldn't? Although I guess you jump through enough security hoops while doing the setup that maybe that's not actually a threat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

buglord posted:

Or@like@this@on@discord

I only use my lefthand when doing comments on TikTok because I hit "send" on the keyboard so much if I two thumb type and have done so at comically offensive points in a sentence and just hope I successfully deleted them before the receiver saw them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

That feels like the fastest update my phone has ever done.

E: live voicemail still doesn’t seem to work. Get a message on screen saying a vm is being left but no text ever comes up. Appears as normal when I go to the usual vm option though. This the same for everyone or something I should log?

Yeah I think it either doesn’t work or I get it long after the call ended. It’s all spam and robocalls so I am not crying too many tears so far but I would probably turn this off if I still needed to answer phone calls just because I don’t trust it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

Arizona was the first to do the digital ID. As far as I know it lets you get through TSA at Sky Harbor airport without pulling your wallet out. I sincerely doubt anyone will accept looking at your phone as proof of anything for a long time. The state also recommends you carry your normal ID.

My gym does this, quite handy.

Now for a stupid accessory I found a use for. This thing:

That's the Razor Chroma phone cooler, it's a tiny Peltier cooler for your phone that uses magsafe to stick. It's ostensibly for gaming, but what I got it for was to keep my phone from overheating what navigating in Carplay. I have not had a single time it has gone "Charging on hold" due to heat since I used it. I should note I live in Phoenix so the ambient temp of my car when I get in is like 130f, so no matter where I stick the phone it's probably warming it up for a while.

I tried to set the ID up as an Arizona ID haver but the app is so bad I had to give up.

E: and yeah what I did was I got a beer coozy and stick my phone in it when the temps are bad. The newer phones are actually a little better at fighting the heat, and just taking the case off (or using a plastic case instead of a leather case) usually works, so I don't need to do it anymore but there was one point where I had one of those lunch bags you put in the freezer overnight that I would stick my phone in during road trips to the desert.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Careful, they might just move to Tucson.

People have lived in Tucson for over a thousand years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I never get the voicemail preview thing fast enough to take the call, but, also it's never calls I would have wanted to take so it's a wash.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My problem with Overcast is that when you click on a podcast in Car Play, it's sorted oldest to newest AND shows you have already listened to show up on the top AND you can only scroll down so many lines so if a show has more than like 20 episodes you're never getting to that last episode. There seems to be a hard limit to how much scrolling you can do in car play in general (probably for good reason) but if the app doesn't account for it, it's bad times if you don't have a playlist set up already or something.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I would honestly not mind the messages if even once it found my AirPods when I actually lost them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I guess they're gonna redo ipads or something. I think the USB C one they recently put out is really good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

FCKGW posted:

They’re only being sold to the type of turbo tech-havers that upgrade their phones every year so we may never know.

Yeah and even these types seem to be pretty ambivalent about it.

Kind of sounds like the best use is the opposite crowd, the people who are looking for a minimalist experience since the best use case is "a motorola razr you can put newer apps on."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Duckman helped me and I save a lot of money over AT&T and now my phone works slightly better in the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Did the 14 Pro have promotion and the always on display? I'm thinking about a 14 Pro rather than a 15 regular.

Yes to both.