Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Duckman2008 posted:

As one of those poor bastards dealing with it, the positive side is that since I have a quota, every time a customer calls upset that the website isn’t working right I literally say “oh that’s great, that keeps me employed I’ll get you set.”

Ha, I'm glad someone is benefitting from it at least! At 3pm I just got an email saying 'we couldn't verify this order was from you' despite the fact I ordered from my existing AT&T account I've had for years, they have all my contact details to tell me something is up etc. Unbelievable, but I'm glad my spidey senses kicked in before it was too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Spigen for the 14 should be here tonight, I haven't got the handset yet but I can check that it's OK quality at least. I've had them before and been fine, and found it much better than the $40 otterbox than essentially broke down, got replaced, and did the exact same thing. Mixing material types did not work well for that model.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The painted section on the side of the phone where the sim tray used to be is a lol, although the 13 demo in the store had it too so I guess it’s not new?

Did a new phone experience with just my iCloud logged in and forgot my iMessages won’t come down. That’s lame. Luckily I have them on my Mac, but still. Also didn’t seem to know my wifi passwords either unless keychain was lagged, but it had the website ones up fine.

Still wishing I could have both fancy Lock Screen depth effect and widgets at the same time. Maybe time to dedicate one each to different focuses to enjoy both.

It took 4 people nearly 2 hours at AT&T to activate the drat thing. Also the manager took a freshly rebooted XR I was trading in and swiped up the app switcher and promptly closed like 30 savestated apps and said I should keep on top of that to keep my phone running faster, and man that dumb belief is never going to die is it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

That’s the cutout for the 5G mmWave antenna and it’s on the opposite side from the SIM tray anyway.

Ah I’ve learned something! Did they move the sim tray then, as it’s exactly where it was on my XR.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lol one of the main reasons I started fresh was to try and get out of the ‘weird storage use’ poo poo that always happens, and I’m one day in and Music is reporting as eating up 6gb of data in the settings > usage page, but apparently (and correctly) there are 0 songs on here according to both Music itself and the About pane.

How is it *still* so hard for a phone system that’s nearly 15 years in to accurately tell you what is using up what.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I search for “bird” in photos I get some pictures of things that aren’t birds. Is there a way to help train the ai by telling it there are no birds in the picture?

Teach the AI that birds aren’t real.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feels like it should be switchable. I’m glad it turns off during the sleep focus personally.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 19, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure the girl at AT&T I had to deal with the other day after web process just didn't work "accidentally" subscribed me to their lovely $20/mo protection plan without asking, and only had my best interests at heart. And I love how the emails asking me to review the bill and pricing that just leads to a blank page isn't a bad sign at all.

Seriously, gently caress everyone and everything in this chain of 'just trying to buy a phone' experience thus far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How does the battery widget decide what device to show? It’s a shame it doesn’t cycle through everything connected or let you swipe through.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Laserface posted:

I have one that has 4 spots and it depends what you have connected? Phone watch and headphones all show up depending what's on and in range

Sorry I should’ve been more specific, I meant the one that you can add to the Lock Screen not the regular widget that displays multiple things at once. The Lock Screen one only shows one device at a time and it seems to pick it at random. Maybe the last thing connected?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Nope, I was wrong. Airplay is still dogshit that stops the video on my TV if I open the twiiter app on my phone.

I hate that apps are allowed to just steal media focus willy nilly, like no - I'm purposely listening to music right now and the lovely game I'm opening is set to muted in its settings but is intentionally stealing the focus so it can play ads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dreesemonkey posted:

Knowing that, and the annoyance that it's not USB-C and I'd have to re-buy some apps, are there other things that I'd be missing leaving android that I may not be considering?

How much do you feel the need to constantly janitor your phone and feel like you must be in control of every single element?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't feel the need. I'm a pretty basic bitch phone user. Listen to podcasts, take pictures, waste time on social media. Same thing everyone else does, I guess.

You should be fine. Most Android people who move over get stressed by the fact they don't have a settings screen the length of The Art of War to constantly play with.

XR is a good phone to mess about with, modern enough that it has most of the features and old enough you can make your wife jealous with a new one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On my car if you change the volume while Siri is doing something (usually reading gps directions), that seems to specifically adjust the volume for it going forward.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dave posted:

Even plugging a phone in at night is icky to me now. Get a wireless cradle on your nightstand and plop it down and don't even think about these things. The only place I still use a wired charger is on my couch in my living room and I have to use wired carplay but I only use carplay for trips where I need Waze.

We have the exact same setup. Wireless cradle next to bed and my desk at work, wired cable at the sofa in the lounge and in my car for carplay. A setup that works pretty great for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone else found autofilling for user/pass, offering to hide email and seemingly the most frequent issue: credit card payments has become really hit and miss?

Can’t tell if an issue in a recent iOS update or just poo poo rear end developers not making their input boxes easily detected by the system but it’s gotten awful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weird, I've always kept my Match subscription but it's never tampered with my playlists whenever I've ventured into Music (like yourself, on trials).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

101 posted:

That's because you kept your Match subscription

drat, I was hoping it was just a bug for that dude but that's pretty lovely it would be tied into that. Match is still useful and cheap enough I won't cancel it but nobody should lose their playlists that are unrelated to the service if they were to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

drat I have a 14 Pro and would’ve used a WC app that supported the island if I’d been smart and thought about it. The one I use doesn’t have it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know some locks let you use automation to lock but not unlock, because you can imagine the fallout if there was an exploit discovered. It's annoying I'm sure, but you have to be overly cautious with this stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Grumbles posted:

Gmail is much much better than the stock mail app. I'm so used to the way it filters out promotions/social media notifications that trying to use the regular mail app is just painful.

My Gmail is unusable due to other people being idiots, but the best way to not be bothered by promotions and social media emails is to not be subscribed to them. Native mail app works perfectly fine for me with the handful of email addresses I use and the the Hide My Email function is awesome.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rolo posted:

Is there a way to show my phone battery level on the always-on lock screen? I can add a widget for my airpod batteries but can’t find the one for the actual device.

I’ve always wondered what the phone uses to decide which device it shows on this. I usually have the phone, watch and AirPods connected and if will usually pick one of them over the phone. It’s a shame you can’t just swipe in it to switch between them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the main issue with that question is that it comes up frequently, but because this is a single thread and search is off limits unless you pay for it, it’s hard to find the results of what came up the last 10 times it was asked.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Corb3t posted:

I actively avoid stores that don't accept Apple Pay nowadays. Boo Kroger, Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. Yay Meijer, Target, and Ace Hardware.

I always feel like a dork if I have my card in my hand then realize they do Apple Pay and use my watch, but eh extra layer of security so I’ll take the momentary feeling.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That screenshot is missing the all important chart showing you how many minutes in an hour the phone was in use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quackles posted:

How do I increase the volume of phone calls? It doesn’t seem to respond to the volume buttons.

ed: During the phone call, not the volume of the ringtone.

My XR had an issue with the earpiece speaker so I had to use it on hands free all the time. I did google around and there was some tricks to trying to get back working again, but it’s probably a similar thing if the volume buttons don’t make adjustment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have others had to constantly prove to Google they’re not a bot in the last week or two? I’m assuming it’s down to the Apple privacy proxy-type thing being enabled as I’ve had other sites block me from using my phone on them due to that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clark Nova posted:

You *can* mount a network drive on your phone: files app -> ellipses in top right corner -> connect to server.

I like how IDrive, one of my online backup services, works with the Files app. Too cool.

Backblaze, my other which I have one of their crummy unlimited plans with, does not alas.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did a fresh install on my 14 Pro and it’s at 25gb in system data. It’s just, and always has been, incredibly bad at regulating that stuff. MacOS isn’t much better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn’t clicked on the on screen thumbnail after taking a screenshot in a while, so this ‘full page’ thing is new to me and seems neat. Is there anyway to get it so it actually saves the whole page though? It seems to default to what’s highlighted on the right which can’t be adjusted for length, which kinda defeats the purpose. Looks like maybe saving as a PDF would do it, but I’m more likely to want just a straight image.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So what’s the point? I could just scroll to the part of the page I wanted already.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fine if all you want is a few extra lines I guess, but what a half assed implementation. Like, the screen I was trying to clip was showing how dumb and long a parcel track was taking, I’d still need to do multiple screenshots even with a bit extra vertical space. The fact it shows the entire page as a literal screenshot but then doesn’t allow you to just save that is just daft.

Like, full page screenshotting is insanely useful when testing web development etc and has been something I would’ve liked from the word go but understood it’s not a priority, but to kind of implement it is just a waste of time in most circumstances.

E: actually scratch that, you don’t get any extra space. I just did a regular screenshot and then one done with this ‘full page’ view, and it is the exact same. It literally doesn’t do anything.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 25, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ihmemies posted:

Are you natural born idiots or did you have to study to be one?

Some context in your post about why you are excited that an old phone is for sale in Finland might have helped. Is it normal that you guys run two years behind or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s what I would’ve assumed if he didn’t rush in to call everyone idiots.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apple’s planned obsolescence is generally to have the current phone last long enough and work well enough that when it becomes obsolete, the user plans to replace it with another iPhone. It works pretty good for them I’d say, and kinda makes me wanna check out customer retention rates compared to Samsung, LG etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Question Mark Mound posted:

Facebook Messenger is the worst for bad notifications. For me to remove the badge on the app icon, I need to have read the message and swiped back to the "list of conversations" screen.

There’s some weird messenger bug going on right now involving notifications. It’ll probably get solved someday in the future but who knows when. For me it’s slightly different than your experience but still quite annoying.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah optimize photos rules, I don’t even think about it and I can pull out stuff from years ago with no issue. I have 15,000 photos and local storage used is 3gb.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I live in a good area for Apple Maps so I’ve always used it, can’t stand Google whenever I’ve had to change over in a pinch. I did get to experience Apple Maps in a ‘well get around to you one day’ environment recently, and it was kinda funny how it knew where some places were but didn’t even take a stab at running directions between them despite most of the island just being one long road.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don’t worry, I got the joke.

Everyone else was making me doubt this was a Clerks thing. I’m relieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reminds me I have a weird AirPods query too. If I put just my left pod in, I get the ‘ding’ noise in my ear and it switches over to them for my audio. If I put just the right one in, no ding and doesn’t auto select it. I have to go to the output selector and manually pick it (so it knows it’s connected, it just kinda ignores it). Can’t see anything in the menus to differentiate behavior like this.