Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After reading about VS a lot I just started playing it with some friends. It's refreshing that a survival game actually takes some to get started instead of everyone running with diamond gear in the first hour or so.

A few things that did annoy us were Drifters spawning in our first huts ("bases") and spawn-camping us as well. Is there a way to tone them down in the server settings?

Also night was pretty miserable if you had just died.

After I had finished making my soil cave to cook some cattails in, I thought I'll be clever and dug a moat around it to see if I could trap some meat. Well, I could, but when I went to collect some piglets, a big boar came and made short work of me. (next time I got wiser and trapped the piglets in a smaller space, but they still yielded just one slab of meat between them.)

All in all a fun evening and it'll be more fun to continue tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to the higher levels, since it seems to be very complicated just to advance from the basic stick age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've made it into a point where I can mine copper and get some copper tools, but the next big step seems to be getting advanced smithing with bronze. I haven't managed to find any tin yet, so any ideas where I should be looking? (I'm guessing it's gonna be those deep, dark caves where the drifters will tear me apart whenever I delve down)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Alcohol brewing guide is a bit unclear: does every type of alcohol require the building of a boiler and condenser for distilling or is some of it simply fermented in a barrel?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently there's a bug in the game which prevents sealing a fruit juice (cranberry in this case) barrel if there's a two decimal amount of liquid there. So is there any way for me to drink 0,02 litres out of my 29,12 litres of juice so I could seal it since the bowl takes 0,1 litres and I can't put more juice in there since it's December and no more cranberries?

Also, is there a wooden equivalent for a jug? Like, a tankard? Didn't find anything.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you make two barrels, you can empty all but the annoying amount using a bowl or cup or whatever, that will have even amounts. Then you can just drink that little tiny bit left in there.

True big brain thinking right here

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like I kinda hit a slump at copper age. I can make tools, but on a multiplayer server with friends I have to move farther and farther for copper and I haven't found any tin to move on to bronze age (I know you can make it from other than tin itself too). The prospecting pick never seems to pick up anything, and even when it does it's usually a miniscule chance of a poor deposit.

So I guess I'm having trouble finding anything rarer than copper. Every cave is filled to the brim with drifters, and I even made some lamellae armor which holds up a bit but they still get me as soon as I run out of arrows.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

First of all, definitely get the Prospector Pick Info Mod if you haven't already. It's client-side, which means it'll work even in multiplayer servers. It both instantly logs the area results to your map and adds a map overlay with all the chunks you've searched.
Remember that ore deposits are distributed in a kind of heatmap fashion - if you get absolutely jack poo poo in a chunk, there's not much point in just scooting over one or two chunks in any direction and trying again, since the results will be pretty similar. Instead, test the ground over large distances (doing it in caves is easier since it saves you the time you waste digging through the top soil), and when you get even a small chance of the ore you want, start playing hot and cold with the adjacent chunks to see if the chance for that ore increases.

Lastly, don't discount the possibility of simply getting the metal from other sources. Commodities traders occasionally have materials for bronze in stock, and Survival Goods traders usually sell bronze tools.

e: Also, caves are a real bitch, but they're not the best place to look for ores, particularly earlier in the game. The main draw of caves are the deep ruins, TLs, rare loot and some minerals like saltpeter. If you're looking for bronze, you're better off looking for ground nuggets that mark those sweet surface deposits, scanning the area with the propick, or digging bony soil from (non-cave!) ruins for panning. Panning bony soil can be a real pain, but if you gather enough there's a decent chance you'll find stuff like bronze mail pieces or lamellae, which you can craft (item+chisel) into enough bits for a full ingot per piece found.

Thanks for the tips. I have been using that mod, and a few times got results like "Decent Halite: 32% or High Sphelerite: 27%" from a sector (block?) but I haven't been able to find it from that particular block. Since usually when I use the density search (the low range one) it says "no nodes found", so it means it must be farther away. But it's still quite a large area to search especially if you're in a cave filled with monsters.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All the prospecting tips were very helpful. I did stumble upon some bismuth (woefully little though) and zinc so I could make myself some bronze stuff. Then I found two translocators in one cave, activated one of them and got sent to 7000, -3000 which is quite a bit to the NE from where my house is (around 300, 0) but I also found a block of ultra high copper concentration, filled my bags and still left a good deal of copper for another visit. So in the end activating that thing was a positive.

Made myself some copper lamellar armor because I have quite a lot of copper. That thing does wonders on blocking at least some damage down in the pits. I wonder of the brigandine is better or should I just roll with lamellar, now that I have it. Just managed to get some leather done too.

One cave I found had lava in the bottom but I died before I was able to explore more. Is it worth going back and potentially finding some igneous rock or something?

The prospect of building a windmill to power my forge/quern is an intriguing one but in these kind of games actual building shapes and design is never my strong suite. I like crafting and exploring, but my houses are always boring square shapes and I can never figure out how to design a roof. I would basically have to level a mountain and figure out a good way to put it over the forge room.

Here's a picture of my abode. Forge pit is in a cave left side of the ground floor entrance to the kitchen/storage.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 18, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just don't have enough linen to consider Gambeson. We're just coming off our first winter and I haven't had much success getting a flax farm up yet. We did find a fair amount of copper, so I made the copper armor, but in hindsight it might've been a mistake since it's such low durability and takes a lot of damage.

I just managed to mine into a huge iron vein, so maybe some kinda chain mail would be feasible? Of course that probably needs a lot of leather too, so better go and hunt some sheep...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do I connect a second device to a windmill? I have a pretty bare bones setup with the axle coming down and powering a helve hammer (took some figuring out!) but if I want to have the same windmill powering my quern as well, do I need the big gear or can I just attach an axle to the opposite side of the hammer on the lowest point of the vertical axle of the windmill?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DiscretionOverValor posted:

In my setup, the windmill turns the large gear wheel. A quern, helve hammer, pulverizer each have the own connection to the large gear with a clutch/transmission to allow me to turn on one at a time.

I actually thought about doing the same with the big gear, but for me the windmill doesn't seem to have enough power to operate the hammer or the quern. It happily rotates when there's nothing attached, though. Is it because I only had enough linen for one set of sails?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sokani posted:

Also make sure you are using the outside of the big wheel for both input and output. If you connect the sails to the center of the big gear and use the outside for output you will trade torque for speed. The helve hammer takes a lot of torque to run and if you run out the whole thing stops.

This might also be a problem since I actually did connect the windmill to the center of the large gear. I'll try to fiddle with it.

Now I'm also having trouble using the boiler, mainly on placing the campfire under it. No matter what I try, it won't go under the boiler, always on the adjacent block. Is there a trick to it or am I missing something?

e: Managed to figure it out, you just add the fuel like the game actually tells you, not making an actual campfire. Whoops!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 20, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any "lore-friendly" way to store the alcohol you brew up? There's no bottles or small containers or something like that? Do I just leave my brandy lying around in a bucket? (hoping it will last a bit longer than the juice/wine in a barrel, at least)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there something wrong with my windmill setup or is it simply a matter of low wind speeds that it doesn't seem to get anything done? If both the quern and the hammer are equipped, barely anything happens. Even the hammer itself is pretty slow.

The wind speeds are pretty low, 13%, 17% - 25% right now but I just wanted to ask and make sure if the system itself looks fine.

I still need to figure out a way to automate the quern input/output too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone had any issues lately with wild drifter spawns? We've been putting basically everything that concerns drifter spawning off but in the last few days people are reporting drifters just spawning everywhere in their base, and I myself had that happen just now. Normally I might have a drifter every now and then, but now they are constantly spawning. They just keep coming, I can't do anything in my base because of it.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 22, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do you guys feel about the Blackguard and the Forlorn hope sets? I'm at a point where I'm looking to upgrade from my copper lamellae and started to work on some iron chains and plates but I don't know which armor to go for, yet. I was thinking making the gambeson as an all-around set and something heavier like the chain/scale mail, but I did pick up the Blackguard chestpiece, so could also get that fixed for a bit cheaper.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was building my tower and suddenly noticed something going on at the lamb den... sure enough, a bear got in somehow (never seen bears around my base before) and wreaked havoc before I could stop it.

Makes you feel really disheartened, since I had to go through so much trouble to first lure them in, then domesticate them and feed them... and still they were "just" generation 4. One lamb survived, so technically I could still salvage the situation if it's an ewe, but with my luck, it'll probably turn out to be a ram.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DiscretionOverValor posted:

Apparently you need a 3 block high fence to keep out bears now.

Generation 4 sheep are a huge loss, I would be tempted to use the "/debug setgen x" command on some newly captured sheep to recover.

I doubt that kinda thing works in multiplayer?

Or maybe server admin can do it?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 29, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do the translocators work exactly? I've been finding and fixing a few, but they all teleport me way out north from starting latitudes. I'd really like to go south for change to pick up new fruits and stuff, but I'd basically have to run from 0 to 20 000 every time. Are the locators random and I just have bad luck going north all the time?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a mod that shows what each trader wants to buy at any given moment? Or is it just a matter of googling a set list and taking every possible item to them?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there some way to copy multiplayer world save files and continue from the same world on single player?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dammit just give me 1.18 already

We just finished our big session in last october but now with all the upcoming changes I'd be up for another go. But we're waiting for a proper release to get everyone on board.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Cowabunga it is, then

Whats all gonna be in 1.18?

Here's a bit of a list from earlier, don't know if there's a more recent one:

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/10595-v1180-pre1-lore-update-the-resonance-archives/

Improved World generation probably the biggest thing to expect for me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there an ETA on 1.18 stable release at this point? I'm more or less fiddling my thumbs over here before starting a new campaign.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I think our group is waiting for a stable 1.18 release to get the group and server running again, but I thought I'd give it a go on single player.

However, I can't seem to create a new world, since it always just hangs on "time to rest" and loading and doesn't go past that. Error logs have all kinds of references to C:/Users/Tyron (which I assume is the dev install path)

Any ideas?

e: re-install clean and removal of mods seemed to do the trick.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 3, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I assume this is for bronze, so my advice is to forget tin and get bismuth and zinc for some bismuth bronze. Was much easier to prospect last time we played.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ruggan posted:

Worldgen could still use some work, in my opinion. I find that it generates worlds in what seems like your typical procgen way, leaving a landscape that feels very unexciting.

The addition of ocean on worldgen helps. This mod also helps a bit: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/4522

Still, after flying around the world a bit I still found that (1) the lack of rivers jumps out to me, (2) caves still feel like worm holes, (3) there’s still too much jagged landscape / regions of lots of up-down-up-down.

The game has a strong foundation, so maybe eventually this stuff will be improved. Fingers crossed!

I was hoping for some more realistic landscapes before we started our second full run, at least some proper rivers would do wonders for the immersion. I think I saw a mod that added waterwheel construction similar to a windmill, that's something I'd really like to build, if there would be flowing rivers and currents.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is anyone running a dedicated server? We're pondering on whether to rent one again for a month or so or run a dedicated one but no idea how taxing it is for a laptop.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Can you somehow edit multiplayer spawns so that everyone would not start at the same point and rather all over the world? Would save a bit of hassle to everyone just running some distance not to spend the same resources.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jawnycat posted:

Not a mod but there's a world setting you can set that randomizes respawn location x blocks from world spawn, and it can go crazy big, so you just have everyone commit ritual suicide and then they're all spaced out nicely. This does have the issue of if someone dies before setting a spawnpoint, a non-trivial task, they can end up an hour or more of real-time distance away from their poo poo if you set it too high.

Yeah, I noticed, but we simply could not get that one to work, no matter what we put there we kept spawning in the zero point. In the end we just agreed to each go our own way from the spawn (and each got a gear to set up a new spawn).

Game is generally harder now because we activated soil making a landslide similar to sand as well. So no mud hovels (packed dirt is fine) or digging your way through some hills - which does suck since my location is mostly very hilly.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It was mostly due to us making a lot of QoL changes from our first run, such as turning off rifts and temporal storms (although this didn't stop drifters from spawning outside my wood hovel even with edited light level settings) and using some mods like animal cages and carry on. Got killed by so many times by a ram just trying to get it inside my pen...

But yeah it was mostly to offset the game balance a bit since we made it more comfortable now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't been able to use it yet, still in the phase of looking for surface copper... we put it back to rare after uncommon last time and we really feel it, it's REALLY slow to get the amount needed to make the pickaxe and hammer to go forward. Been all over looking for it but still missing some.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm playing on a dedicated server with my regular gaming group, we love all kinds of (early access) survival crafting games. We want to be a bit separate from each other just to allow a good amount of resources for everyone but also that we can group up if we want to eventually fight some baddies in caves (or do the new lore world event, what ever that is??).

Last time we had a sky bridge connecting some of our bases but now with sliding mud you can't cut through mountains anymore (and it was a hell of a lot of work lol) so we opted for a teleporting network mod, just gotta get gears to activate more waystations, to ease connecting to each other if we feel like it. I as a dumb didn't even think about starting a base near one such location like others, so I'm mostly cut off, so I might still opt for a sky bridge if you can still make floating speed path blocks (or packed dirt) to the nearest teleport.

So that was a bit of blunder from me and I my location is surrounded by really annoying mountain ranges. And I only now found enough surface copper to make necessary hammer. But at least I found a cave filled with coal right next to my base, so I'm set on that front.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 22, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Wanted to share my first house (other than my initial 4x4 mudhut). I took extra care to make sure it fit the requirements as being "inside" for extra warmth, figuring I didn't need much more than that anyway. The interior is fairly spartan but just pleasant enough that I don't hate spending time in it!

This house still looks very nice. Been trying something similar, what are the dimensions of the inside area? Also, what material did you use for the fireplace, it looks a lot more sleek than just cobblestone?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the tips! I will probably build a bit larger but I liked the design since I want to keep it nice and compact. Will have to search for a nice dark material for the fireplace and figure out how to place slabs without them jutting out and connecting to square pieces properly (which is sometimes a real nightmare). Guess I could always chisel to balance it out.

One thing I would like to try this time is to build the food cellar actually under the house to avoid running around for cooking and to make it ... "realistic" ? So I'm guessing it could work with door which opens up to a ladder downstairs, since actual stairs take up so much space. (although you said your house also has stairs downstairs)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 23, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Once you reach copper age, using the wrench to rotate any block is a heavensent.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I did think about the staircase being counted for the cellar so I also made a second door down there.

Has anyone used those new support beams? I placed a few and I absolutely cannot get them out anymore, there doesn't seem to be any way to target them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

For essential mods I'd recommend Carry on, which lets you move full containers and aforementioned Prospector info (which saves your propick results on the map). Hudclock is also nice and handy.

Otherwise we found that panning just ordinary sand was way easier to get first copper that running around for it, but it might be down to luck (and your copper rate setting). Copper and the saw especially really opens up the game since you can make so much new stuff with planks, including big storage chests.

I wish the Anvil metal recovery mod would be update but apparently it's very buggy with 1.18 which is a shame since it seems very useful getting back those missed metal voxels while smithing. Auto map marker is another one where it just crashes when talking to a trader, otherwise I'd use that one.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 24, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I could go grab screenshots if I still had the save. So you can kind of see the stairs up, those are on the left of the fireplace (if you’re facing it) and wrap up behind it, with the landing for the loft being on the right of the fireplace. The basement with the cellar has a door almost directly under that, and the stairs beyond that door go down behind from right to left behind the fireplace and double back slightly so that the cellar is still under the house. There was another door down there just to make sure the cellar room didn’t get too large by including the stair space, but I’m not sure if it was necessary or not.

Well, I asked because I was definitely inspired by your house, but I may have gone a bit overboard with the size... because it'so high, I had to make an absurdly large chimney and all. Still, makes good room for a loft bed for a visiting friend and higher bookshelves!

The crafting area is still underway, as you can see.

My first hut will probably serve as my juice/wine and later alcohol production base.

After the animal husbandry disaster last time, my current animal pen is now just a hole in the ground. (last time bears kept spawning inside my drat lamb house and eating all my lambs constantly, even when it was a closed and well lit structure)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Being able to keep your inventory after death is also the kind of quality of life option we decided to go for pretty early on.

Here's a troll I chiseled up for my loft. It's quite small so I don't quite know what to put in there, but a friend requested I build one for when he visits, so