Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Hall of the Novice advice is fine when viewed in the context of someone completely new to playing MMOs, which is who its aimed at. If you're brand new to tanking and don't know what Rampart does, you should not be wall-to-walling Satasha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've gotten compliments on my FemRoe from time to time, but nothing I'd ever call creepy. Only when I'm in cities though, in dungeons I only accept party members who are ALL BUSINESS.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

euphronius posted:

I’m level 28 and the msq is on 20 ahhh. They really buffed exp

You can pretty easily keep two classes leveled off of just MSQ exp until Shadowbringers.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Selachian posted:

I'm currently playing through the Elpis section of Endwalker and I'm already thoroughly sick of "go here, look at/watch this thing, go there, watch this guy agonize over whether to take a job" quests.

That particular section is kind of a drag, but the climax of that zone is real good and it's capped by arguably the best and most important cutscene in the entire game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Tanking is far and away the easiest role in the game, particularly in raids, so don't stress too much about doing things wrong. Don't point the boss at the party and don't try to steal aggro from other tanks and you'll be fine. It can be worth taking a quick gander at an online guide, especially once you start doing normal raids in Heavensward, but you can also just bumblefuck your way through. Telling the group you're new was the correct call.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The occasions in which you'll need to tank swap in normal content are few and far between. Generally, it'll only happen when the main tank dies.

Incidentally, that's why it's a good idea to turn your tank stance on during the fight while off-tanking. That way, if the MT does go down, the boss immediately turns to you instead of pasting a bunch of dps while you're fumbling for your stance and Provoke. Just give the MT 15 or so seconds of lead time and go easy on your damage rotation.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 9, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I genuinely have no idea what was going on in that raid because I've never played FFT and thus had no nostalgia for it. Also there's so many places and people and events being delivered rapid fire purely through dry text boxes that my brain glazed over every time. "Teaching a Robot To Love Through Violence" was much more understandable.

I also have no idea what was going on in or after the ShB alliance raids, but I suspect that was more intentional. That raid series also makes people on the official forums mad, so it's that much better.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I maintain the Alphinaud's actor change works really well for his character arc as he goes from a little shithead to choking on an entire humble pie.

And maybe it's because I'm far enough removed from it now, but I don't recall any of the main ARR actors being outright bad*, the later ones are just better.

*Except Minfilia and Alisaie.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
For me, it was the storyline quickly devolved into a completely impenetrable mass of names and places that had no reference point anywhere else in the game, all delivered through people just standing around and dryly talking to each other. It's all of the problems with FF14's presentation in microcosm. But where the MSQ lets you soak in it over several hundred hours and moves you around and breaks it up with exciting stuff, the Ivalice stuff is just...talking. So much goddamn talking about things that were pretty quickly sliding off my brain.

The bosses themselves are fun, though I never remember how the Lord of Thunder guy works.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Funnily enough, I think Nier somewhat avoids Obvious Crossover Syndrome by going absolutely all in on Obvious Crossover Syndrome. This is an explicitly alien conflict that started before you and will continue after you. You won't understand a goddamn thing that's going on and you'll like it you little bitch-rear end Warrior of Light.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Balance has a leveling guide that tells you exactly what buttons you should be pushing for each stage of the BLM leveling process as well as a guide for how the class works at 90. It doesn't explain why, but once you understand what to do it quickly becomes obvious why you are doing it which helps with understanding how and when to adjust your rotation for fight conditions.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Lotta spoiler bars for the newbie thread.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Welcome to Shad- wait, hang on, not yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was under the impression that part of the intent of Duty Support was making it so that the MSQ could still be played through in a hypothetical future where the community dies. If that's the case, then yeah, they would need to add most of the game's trials and Crystal Tower at some point.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, the only time tanking can be tricky is in the earlier dungeons before the "two packs then wall" design philosophy became entrenched. Even then, as long as you're pulling at least two packs at a time, most people won't cause problems.

This video is pretty shitpost-y, but its also a pretty succinct guide to everything that matters about tanking.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think this is the second time we've had a person melt down over being told "Pulling two packs at a time is the intended way for tanks to play."

My earnest recommendation for anyone who feels that way would to be level a healer class, do a dungeon via Duty Support, and discover truly how little damage a tank is taking from just one pack at a time.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 18, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Endorph posted:

theres this weird trend on the internet where the solution to anxiety in a consequence free video game isnt to confront the thing giving you anxiety but to tell at other people online about it for encouraging you to confront it. in real life there's a lot of factors that make confronting anxiety sometimes difficult but a video game is a closed system.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Do the people opposed to multi-pulling also get upset at people asking them to use Fire IV on BLM or generate Nadis on MNK? Because that's how those classes are intended to play and two-pulling is how tanks are intended to play.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

hopeandjoy posted:

I once was paired with a BLM in Expert Roulette that was straight up freestyling. Like, single target on mobs, AOE on bosses, no discernible ice or fire phase, just hitting buttons BLM. I didn’t say anything, not because I wasn’t internally dying as everything took five minutes longer, but because I was also playing BLM and trying to actually do my rotation.

Also I’m not sure how to type the entirely of how to play BLM while also hitting buttons on my controller at the same time.

BLM was the class that made me understand the whole "moments between the seconds" stuff a certain someone was talking about because goddamn I just need another half a second to get my sixth F4 off and i just dropped leylines you pieCE OF poo poo BOSS WHY DIDNT TRIPLE CAST GO OFF I HIT THE BUTTON YOSHIDA YOU FFFFFFUCK

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
DRK is also the squishiest tank prior to getting The Blackest Night and IIRC, AST healing can be a little janky at low levels. Kind of a perfect storm.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That's the absolute low point. The rest of the MSQ's storytelling has its peaks and valleys but you are at rock bottom right now and it's mostly up from here.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My personal in-character joke that nobody else laughs at is always remembering the WoL as a different race/job/gender combo the rare times they get brought up.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, Freecure is infamously one of the most worthless traits in the game. Even at lower levels, Cure 2 consumes so little mana that you aren't going to run out unless you are having to slam heals on the entire party for an entire fight. And from then on, you only get more and more tools to help manage your mana or get no-cost heals.

I'm leveling a WHM through StB content right now and most of healing I do is just Regen on the tank and then some Afflatus' or Cure 2's when things get spicy. That's not even optimal, pro White Mages will let the tank get as low as possible and then windmill slam Benediction.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 23, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Theris posted:

Ehhhhh. EW certainly has a lot of little bonuses for people who've done lots of side content but most of them boil down to "hey it's that guy from that one thing!"

Which is extremely cool and gratifying in the context of EW's MSQ. :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

That Little Demon posted:

There is a prom happening at some residence tonight and I’m going to do the splash red paint on the winner from the top of the venue like Carrie while my buddy runs around with a pig pet

time to find out if the estate owner remembers you can kick people out of a house lmao

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's a delicate balance of RP trolling between helping to spice stuff up and being an obnoxious unfunny dickhead, but I trust TLD. He seems a good lad.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Look, Balmung is a perfectly respectable server as long as you don't turn on a blacklight.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The FF14 RP community in general is extremely horny, no server is free of sin.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

That Little Demon posted:

I'm not looking at level 3 side quests to randomly make sure there isn't a hidden level 65 quest with a long story arc behind it for every single side quest on the map, thats idiotic

Usually if a side questline is more elaborate, the little box that pops up when you talk to the NPC will have a custom picture on it. That indicates that there's going to be a more involved story and cutscenes and multiple steps and stuff. Side quests that are just the standard "Collect 3 bear asses" won't have the picture.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I like Frontline mostly because it is a big stupid scrum where nothing matters. CC seems like it actually expects you to know how to play your class in PvP and oof, I don't know about that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"We did everything right" is not a lie or mistake.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Healers with 0 dps in endgame mob pulls who just sit there casting Benefic/Cure 1 :argh:

uh, how else am I going to get Freecure procs? Elitist goons telling me how to play again. :rolleyes:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It sounds like you're planning this anyway, but to emphasize: do NOT solely do the MSQ. Reason being that while the story is cool and good, the actual gameplay is pretty basic and repetitive. If you exclusively do MSQ quests, you'll probably burn out.

Take your time, do the side-content, level some other classes, discover the misery of Big Fishing. 14 is a journey, not a destination.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jonny 290 posted:

i feel like proper hidlibrand voice acting should only be in Japanese no matter what your language selection is

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
*resets the "Days Since StB SAM Discourse" counter to zero, looks uncomfortably at the "Days Since Elemental Discourse" next to it"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quiggy posted:

Gridania is the best city-state :colbert:

blink twice if kan-e-senna is behind you with a baseball bat

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Limsa's layout is very simple, everything is either in a straight horizontal or vertical line and you just aethernet over to the Aftcastle or Aetheryte Plaza when you want to switch levels. Oh, you want to walk between the two levels?

Don't do that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Crafting jobs are literally identical, however. I think there is a way to copy your layout from job to job so you only need to set up that once and just copy it to all your other ones.

From the second post:

AngusPodgorny posted:

Help, I upgraded to a job at level 30 and my hotbars are messed up
It's because classes and jobs have independent hotbars, but you can use text commands to copy the obsolete class ones over. For example,
/hotbar copy gla 1 pld 1
will copy the first gladiator hotbar to the first paladin hotbar. This is also handy for crafting jobs to keep everything consistent.

Since there's no reason to play a class after unlocking a job, there are fancy things you can do with having 100+ unused hotbars, like faking custom pull-down menus, but that's beyond the scope of this thread (and also my knowledge).

onesixtwo posted:

Slight addition to the /hotbar copy section: /chotbar copy is the command for Crossbar / controller players.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Holy moley. Clive following you around for this FF16 tie in is such a better experience than those loving /beckon levequests. Please change those to use this follow logic.

While NPCs following you like that doesn't return till Endwalker, the /beckon stuff will never be seen again outside ARR levequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm liking the Dark Knight's mechanics, but boy did they get a middle schooler to write this questline???

Pretty sure the class is inspired by FFT's Dark Knight, and it wasn't a chuuni edgelord there.

lmao oh no