Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

That's a dick move because then you have to abandon the instance and get another party member. You can't do Savages with only 7 people unless they've buffed it with like 25% Echo.

i know people already responded to this, but, the way bigger dick move is joining a Mechanic 6 prog party when you haven't even cleared Mechanic 3 yet. i've found that on average pf savage prog groups are remarkably patient when it comes to deaths on earlier mechanics so long as it's clear people know what they're doing, but when it becomes obvious it's not just human error wipes but "never even saw the mechanic" wipes, you're under no obligation to humour people when you only got so many hours in the week to prog a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hexwren posted:

this was the city of heroes solution and it absolutely sucked

me, level squat with like two different kinds of GCD fireball and nothing else teamed up with the level infinity guy I knew, who synched down to my level but still had a full rotation and a bunch of OGCDs so was still wiping out entire rooms of guys before I even finished one

that's not entirely true, in CoH you got abilities up to your sync level +5, so if you synced down to 30 you'd have access to your level 35 ability, but nothing beyond that. it was really quite similar to how FF14 handles it right now, with the exception it also let low-level player sync up to their high level friends to solve the whole "you must spend 20 hours until you hit the content your friends play" problem MMOs regularly suffer from

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ruining a mentor's day is its own reward so people should duty-finder extreme trials more often, actually

edit: that said if you don't mind out-of-game resources you can probably find a discord server or two dedicated to doing old extreme trials and savage raids synced on your data center. the advantage being that people are more likely to notice a discord ping than they are to happen to look at the pf listings and find the synced ex party in a sea of unsynced farms

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 26, 2022

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if you don't max out quality byregot will punish you by giving you poor condition on all finishers

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's important to do eureka, otherwise ojika tsunjika will neg you in endwalker

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Offkorn posted:

Unless you're doing current-tier Savage raids, the convenience of combat macros far exceeds any efficiency loss. Especially for classes with 20 instants like Bard, Mech, and Drg; just toss them all on a macro and weave with a single button.

Of course, some classes don't gain as much from macros. RDM, BLM, Sam, and Nin being the obvious ones.

this is what final fantasy 14 players actually believe

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Stand in the exact geographic center of the boss, then you only need to take 1 step in each direction.

but unironically. a player might instinctually try to stay outside the red boss circle, but there's no reason you can't, and often times reasons you should. particularly in endwalker, where boss circles have become so large i can slap down a sacred soil dead center on the boss, but if the tank stands north of the circle and everyone else south of the circle, nobody's gonna get any mit or regen from it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you shouldn't want to beat up children

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the second boss of the level 69 dungeon got some pretty major changes, in that they now have things like mechanics you need to do, and enough hp to last more than 20 seconds

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's not every time, but if you pay attention you often see someone queue into syrcus tower fully nude

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

It's true. The roulette won't put you in anything that exceeds your ilevel when you join the queue (you can even re-equip the gear after queuing, but before it pops). Probably not a ton of people actually do this, but it's more than zero. I know a couple people who do it because they are traumatized by Dun Scaith's first boss, specifically. Most others just don't have anything else unlocked, either because they really are only level 50 or free trial but some people get incredibly weird about refusing to do optional raids.

of course that assumes whatever duty has a min ilvl in the first place. for whatever strange reason, trials that don't sync you to a level divisible by ten don't have min ilvls, so once i got the level 83 trial in roulette with some random red mage still wearing level 70 artifact gear.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Literally the only thing I ask is for people to have a bit of respect when a tank asks to take things a bit slower.

if three out of four people would like to go quicker, are they undeserving of respect? are you the only player that must ever be respected?

the controversial hot take here is that the tank is not the leader of the party. in fact, nobody is the leader of the party because in a roulette you're four randos who will spend the next 15-20 minutes together and then never see each other again. the other three players have as much, collectively three times more than you, input in how a dungeon goes. they don't know you suffer an anxiety disorder, and frankly even if they did they're under no obligation to become an impromptu therapy session for a stranger just because they clicked the roulette button at the same time as you did.

the game puts walls between every two groups of enemies after like level 51to enforce people can't pull too much already. if you can't handle that without suffering genuine mental anguish, then my sincere advice is to not play tank in dungeon roulettes. use duty support, play with friends willing to accomodate you, switch to a different job, but intentionally playing the game wrong and then getting mad at people for getting mad at you isn't gonna make anyone happy

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Allarion posted:

It's cause the spotlight isn't on them, and it won't be obvious it's on them outside of veteran healer/tanks noticing they're having to push more buttons, which also is nonobvious, since the healer/tank can assume it's the other one not pushing their buttons before realizing it's the DPS not pushing their buttons.

the thing is, the spotlight isn't on anyone in a roulette dungeon. the tank isn't the leader of the party and nobody looks at them for guidance. most people just tune out when they're doing roulettes and only pay attention to their fellow players when things are out of the ordinary. this can be a tank single-pulling. this can also be a pull taking appreciably longer than it should and you're suddenly extremely cognizant of the fact the dragoon is doing their single target rotation when there's a dozen enemies to aoe down

that's the paradox of the whole tanxiety thing. people won't notice you if you double-pull. you'll become just another face in the crowd to them. at the end of the dungeon they'll comm you because tanks are the first on the list, and if you ask them two seconds after leaving the dungeon what race your character is they'll say "uhhh, a catgirl i think?" even if you played the most garishly-dressed roegadyn ever.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the only difference is that dps players aren't aware that everyone is silently judging them for failing to do their core job mechanics while some tank players hyperfixate on the idea that they're seen even when they're not and everyone's busy judging the ice-only black mage

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sometimes you just gotta use swiftcast to do some spells on-the-go and trust your dps won't kill themselves foolishly in the next sixty seconds

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Comedy option: whereever the tank is is Relative North, enjoy.

when a boss teleports to the center facing south, i just keep them facing south to minimise spinning because it means they'll pull that trick at least twelve more times in the fight. one trick that Big Tanking doesn't want you to know

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hating the female version of the sun drop dance means you love imperialism. i didn't make the rules but that's what they are

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

all but the last boss of baldesion arsenal die before they start doing the real big boy mechanics, and every run i've joined gives a 25 minute crash course on the final boss and then still gives comprehensive call-outs during it. most people can, and many do, clear BA completely blind

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Allarion posted:

You might ruin a Mentor's day if it pops up in their mentor roulette,

that alone makes it worth it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

One thing to also remember, melding and overmelding doesn’t really matter except for top end difficulty content and even then is not completely necessary. Also melding priority will probably adjust a bit in the next expansion.

if i see someone join a current-tier savage party without any melding done i will judge them very harshly in my heart

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

nullEntityRNG posted:

Gotcha. Thanks! I was overly cautious and sent a private tell once and got no response, so I was questioning if there was some sort of taboo I crossed.

this is because the game's code is held together by wishes and prayer, so when people send tells through the pf interface it's nearly impossible to respond in another tell. if you got questions to a party leader it's pretty much always best to just join and ask in party chat

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

what's even the point of a video that just tells you what a website says, as they show you the website, when you can just see it yourself

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Nowadays you only see people getting genuinely mad when that pops up when you're doing hard content reclears. Since that means that someone in your party has lied about having cleared it before.

more realistically, it means the party leader either forgot to turn on the "duty complete" tag, or it's a secret clear-for-one where the party leader just so happens to be the one

though, in my experience playing during off-hours or late into a raid tier every so often you get someone asking to join a reclear party claiming they're at enrage but can't find a party that can make it across the finish line. generally people are fine with that and i've yet to encounter who blatantly lied about being clear-ready when asking to join a reclear party

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

in 80 days through final fantasy xiv is my favourite jules verne novel

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I once had a healer who kept running ahead and getting themselves killed when I wasn't pulling big enough for them. Then they kept yelling at me for ruining the run.

skill issue. when i play a healer i simply don't die to the enemies i pull ahead of the tank

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i haven't really tried duty finder on aether, but i don't find the duty finder on primal has gotten appreciably worse. that said, if you do activities that rely on party finder, such as on-tier savage raiding, doing old extreme trials and savage raids synced, blue mage parties, etc. you'll find that any american data center but aether is nearly a ghost town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of ex, is there a rhyme or reason behind some having the Minstrel's Ballad moniker while others are simply called <name> (Extreme)?

as a general trend MSQ trials get the Minstrel's Ballad treatment while optional trials get the (Extreme) treatment, but even that is inconsistent at best