Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Paperhouse posted:

hey i'm a sprout

I just did the "probably pirates" quest or whatever it's called. I am into the game for sure but it is pretty boring lol. about how long does it take to get to good stuff from here? I saw something online that said A Realm Reborn alone was 120 hours, which seems absolutely insane to me but maybe it is??

Jocat put it really well in the video essay he put out a while back. A Realm Reborn definitely has its slow moments, its dull moments, but it spends a lot of time setting up worldbuilding and planting seeds that the plot will harvest later; sometimes much later. This is a game where you want to pay attention to the storytelling, and all the little details in the world, talk to side characters - repeatedly even, as they will frequently have new things to say as the story develops.

But above all else, it's the sort of game where ignoring or skipping past all the story is completely missing the point. This is a game where the plot, and the journey to level cap is part of the destination, not an obstacle to it. I will say, the leadup to the second and third Primal fights are generally seen as the weakest parts of A Realm Reborn story-wise, but the way I see it, if you can stay interested and get past those parts, you're probably in it for the long haul.

In terms of gameplay loop though, Bruceski did hit the nail on the head; if you're looking for the gameplay loop of the quests themselves to improve, it's not really going to.

For dungeons, bear in mind that they've been in the process of adding older content to the Duty Support system for the last few patches, but they're not quite done yet. 6.3 finished adding the rest of the Heavensward Dungeons to Duty Support, but once you hit Stormblood, for now the dungeons still require other people, as will any 8-player trials throughout MSQ, with a single, very very very late exception.

But for any 4-player dungeons throughout ARR, Heavensward, or Shadowbringers and Endwalker, you will have the option of having NPCs join you instead of other players, and while slower than players, they're reliable, and pressure-free, and will even offer commentary as you progress through the dungeon (watch for their dialogue bubbles!). Once you hit Heavensward, the generic NPCs will start making way for more plot-relevant characters.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

1stGear posted:

I maintain the Alphinaud's actor change works really well for his character arc as he goes from a little shithead to choking on an entire humble pie.

And maybe it's because I'm far enough removed from it now, but I don't recall any of the main ARR actors being outright bad*, the later ones are just better.

*Except Minfilia and Alisaie.

Thought she got better during the post-2.0 patches, during the main story of 2.0, Nanamo's voice was horrendous.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GilliamYaeger posted:

I always felt it worked as a sarcastic response to dead silence and a glare.

The thing is, it was intended as a response to an actual dialogue option that got removed at some point, from what I understand.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Could always just go "If you're scared of backflipping off the arena, use this instead; same damage, no self-yeet"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Paperhouse posted:

out of curiosity, what's it like playing solo as a tank or healer?

I started as an archer and have switched to dragoon, not sure how the game works if you're playing alone and you're not DPS. Also the game is incredibly easy so far to the extent that tank/healer doesn't even seem like a necessary role outside of dungeons. Is it the case that people don't really play as them solo except to level up the jobs?

Honestly, in solo "out in the world" questing play, they're not that different from a DPS class; they kill things a bit slower and are far harder to kill. That's all there really is to it. If you find a FATE that involves killing a lot of things, you're at less risk as a tank if you gather up 17 things at once and aoe them all down, while a healer can just go on like an energizer bunny, keeping their own health topped off instead of needing to take any breaks between chain-pulling out in the world to let their health regen. But, of course, the DPS classes will put out more raw damage, at the cost of being squishier.

People play all sorts of classes solo through the MSQ. It all depends on what class they find enjoyable, what they want to play as, how they're playing the character if they're getting into an in-character mindset. Because the character I rolled was an old character of mine, I know his fighting style already; at first opportunity, I grabbed Rogue and Ninja has been that character's "Main" Job ever since. But had I decided to use another character from my roster, my main job may have been Thaumaturge, or Warrior, or White Mage... this is one of those games where everyone except the Elite of the Elite will tell you that every class is viable, pretty much no matter what you're doing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Duty support is slower, yes, but frankly that just means I get to go at my own pace, take my time, and actually take in my surroundings and see what's going on instead of rushing to the end ASAP and suffering through tanks that insist on wall-to-walling or healers that run ahead and pull extra stuff FOR the tank because they consider having time to DPS to be a failure on the tank's part because they can clearly afford to pull more stuff and go faster.

I just really hate the Speedrunner Mentality in group content. It's why I always hated Mythic+ dungeons in WoW and refuse to touch it to this day (yes I play both).

Besides, being able to treat this game as a single player game is wonderful and the NPCs provide extra commentary and I share the Trust Insighters' fascination with friendly NPC behavior, especially in Trusts and Duty Support.

Knowing that the different named NPCs in Duty Support each have their own little behavioral quirks is a fun little detail.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 15, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As a WoW refugee, I had fun with the idea that my main from WoW had literally stumbled into a new setting, taking the idea of "WoW Refugee" to a whoooole new level.

Started as a Pugilist, since he was a rogue in WoW and Pugilist kinda comes closest to that out of the starting classes - especially since that WoW Rogue uses fist weapons. Went rogue as soon as I got to Limsa, and its been my "main" job ever since. Though uhh, Jon has definitely become fond of the Gunblade. I enjoy the style, and frankly, that thing is just a really fun new toy for the character. He's sad that he can't take it home with him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

I even have him canonically terrible at cooking, explicitly as a reference to an early Garfield comic. It's obscure enough that, to this day, no one has realized it without being told. He is never going to pick up Culinarian. I'll have to make an alt to do it.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 21, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

Hah, I'm not the only one that did that? That rules. :)

How close were you able to approximate their look?

Well, I got his human form pretty well, other than the face due to limited options there, but otherwise he turned out pretty well. He even found armor reminiscent of what he wore back home. I even made a bit of a "plot point", as it were, out of the fact that the Worgen Curse... didn't come with him to Eorzea. When he found a way home, he had to deal with it reasserting itself.

But he spent long enough here and saw enough that he's become fond of this place. Sort of a second home; helps that he ran into a friend of his, too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
One thing I will always encourage:

If you want to practice a class in a real dungeon scenario, but don't want to screw over other players due to being bad at the class or still learning, This is an excellent time to use Duty Support. They are competent, if slow on trash due to not AoEing, but the tank will maintain aggro on the whole trash pack if you decide to AOE yourself (and even if you just decide "screw the rest of y'all, Imma focus THIS target instead"), they will do mechanics properly (usually. Sometimes they dodge one AoE marker only to step into another one. Once in a while they might Greed and pay for it.) But most importantly, they will not judge you for not knowing your class.

If you don't want to risk the ire of other players to learn a new class, go with the people who love you unconditionally - the Scions.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 23, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I normally stick to Charcoal Grey, myself. It doesn't need to be like... Pure Absolute Black to be black enough for my purposes, just... you know, black or really dark grey, etc.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Wrestlepig posted:

I respect not wanting to get spoiled, but if you are worried about spoilers don't google the characters. Just play the game or ask in a thread like this where you can assume people will keep the black text blockers up.

This is a big one from me. Staying spoiler-free requires active effort on the part of the person who wishes to stay spoiler free, moreso the longer the content you're avoiding spoilers for has been out. The longer it's been, the more people will expect that anyone taking part in a discussion (or looking in on the discussion) already knows everything worth spoiling.

This goes double for something like googling a character. Expect there to be spoilers either in the first few images, or in easily-noticeable text in that search. And bear in mind that even if you think you've found a spoiler, I know the No-Spoilers-Extremists tend to hate this argument and ignore it, you do not know the context for the spoiler yet. Something you see and think "OH GOD SPOILER NOOO" might not even actually be important. It might be a Red Herring! It might be a fakeout! Who knows?! It might be something from a trailer that the creators are perfectly okay with people knowing is coming before they start into the thing, though I know some people take No-Spoilers-Extremism to the point of refusing to even watch teaser trailers or know literally anything besides the name of the thing before they go into it. I've literally been yelled at for spoilers for discussing something that was literally part of the initial announcement of the thing.

Frankly, I think it's all nonsense. If you don't want spoilers, put in the effort to avoid them yourself. People will want to discuss a thing. Let them. If you don't want them to discuss a thing around you before you can see it, it is your responsibility to remove yourself from the situation when they are talking about it, it is not their responsibility to never talk about the thing they enjoy just because you refuse to go away so they can. If they can setup a separate text channel in something like discord for spoilery discussions, that's fine, but don't expect to walk into a bloody convention about the thing and not see any spoilers.

This does go both ways, though. If the person *is* putting in effort to avoid spoilers, repay that in kind. Make that separate channel for spoilery discussions. If they happen to wander into the room when you're having a spoilery discussion with others, let them know that you're discussing spoilers to give them a chance to remove themselves.

It's up to the rest of the world to keep spoilers at least a little bit out of the way for a reasonable amount of time, but it's also up to the people avoiding those spoilers to not go looking in the places that are obviously going to be swimming in spoilers. And don't cry if something that's 40 years old gets spoiled for you. It's been 40 years. You missed your chance.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 25, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think one thing I really appreciate about FF14 over WoW is that, the levelling story that comes out at the expansion release is a full story, start to finish. The end of the levelling story is a satisfying conclusion by itself, and patch stories either pick up loose ends or tell entirely new stories. In WoW, the levelling story is just part 1 and you need to do all the max level patch stuff to get the full story to any kind of conclusion, which means new characters levelling through old expansions will NEVER get the old expac’s full story.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I like the way Stormblood works. The whole reason you go across the world to Doma is explicitly because resistance in Ala Mhigo is too heavy, so we split their attention between the two opposite ends of the Empire by helping our friend Yugiri to reclaim HER homeland. By doing that, we split the Empire's attention to two fronts, and that is explicitly why we are able to succeed, in combination with convincing Doman conscripts in Ala Mhigo to defect now that their homeland isn't being held hostage to use as leverage against them.

Stormblood is not a bad expansion. At worst, it's a 7/10 flanked by an 11/10 on both sides of it. 7/10 may be a meme rating, but it's not a bad one.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cyks posted:

That you even know rotations exists put you ahead of your pets peers.

Don’t forget just about every MSQ dungeon has duty support now (I think it’s suppose to be completed by 6.45 if not already?) so you can just run those if you want to relax while you get back into it.

Almost - dungeons introduced during the Stormblood Patches are the only 4-player duties left without Duty Support. Trials and Crystal Tower still lack duty support. Crystal Tower is unlikely to ever receive it, but they have suggested that they might look into doing MSQ-required Trials as well in the future, but nothing immediately planned.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I'm okay with any bosses that don't need a revamp for Duty Support.

Besides, I'm quite pleased with the NPC roster for your Duty Support party members in the Stormblood Dungeons. I wasn't actually expecting to see the NPC tanking the level 70 dungeon just yet; figured they wouldn't show up until the patches.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly feel like Tankxiety is worst at lower levels, because the inevitable "I NEED TO FINISH THIS 20 MINUTE DUNGEON IN FIVE MINUTES GOGOGOGOGOGOGO" assholes are pushing you to pull way more than you're comfortable with, at a level range where you have next to none of your survivability buttons, in dungeons that are not balanced around multi-pack pulls.

Later on, if people are bugging you to pullpulllpullgogogo, at least by then you've got some amount of experience under your belt and have extra buttons you can use to die a little slower.

On the plus side, at low levels, you have the option of telling people that you are still new to tanking, and do not wish to go five thousand miles per hour.

To the people who answer "I hate when DPS pull" with "THEN BE FASTER", gently caress off. The reason I don't like them pulling is because I pull at the speed I'm comfortable with. Going faster than I'm comfortable with is not the solution to Tankxiety, it is what causes it.

As an aside, my favorite tank class so far probably has to be Gunbreaker. It's fun, and has some decent mitigation options.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
And honestly?

If you're really nervous? Start tanking in Duty Support first.

It is genuinely a fantastic practice tool. They're slow and don't AoE, but they are COMPETENT and RELIABLE, and they won't judge you for going as slowly as you are comfortable with. When you get more comfortable, then you can try going faster, or move on to playing with real people.

And as a bonus, if you're doing your Duty Support practice tanking in a high enough level dungeon, you can have named NPCs along for the ride! :)

Alphinaud will not judge you while learning to tank. He believes in you, and will support you while you practice.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Rarity posted:

Alphinaud will judge the hell out of you, the little poo poo

ARR Alphinaud is the one who will judge you, and he never deigns to join you in dungeons. Post-ARR Alphinaud will not judge because he has taken a Humble Pie in the face.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Trash Ops posted:

tanking is easy as poo poo and if you are not going fast you are doing it wrong. 3 dps 1 tank parties are pretty common tbh

gently caress off with your "My way or the highway" bullshit. If some tanks want to go lightspeed, I have no problem with that, but when I am tanking, if I am not comfortable going fast, and you try to force the issue, you are the problem. People are here to have fun, not to maximize efficiency. If a person is being forced into a playstyle they do not enjoy, they are not having fun. So why the hell are they even here? Why should they put up with you?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will fully admit that I am heavily biased against speedrun rushrushrushgogogogo style gameplay, and have been for a long time. And when I see it creeping in, I instinctively reject it.

It's one of the reasons I gravitate more toward Duty Support, because they don't rush me.

There are occasions where I am willing to indulge a faster pace, some dungeons where I don't mind going multiple pulls at a time. But when I am politely asking a group to take a slower pace, and the only response I get is for DPS or healers to run ahead and grab more poo poo and run it back to me, I will not be in a good mood. In those situations is when I start contemplating just eating the abandon penalty and loving off so they can wait for a tank that's more their speed. Disclaimer: It's not something I've actually done as of yet, but good god there are times when I want to.

Most of the time, people are polite and friendly when a tank asks to go slow. People are willing to accommodate a tank that is not comfortable moving quickly and taking multiple pulls at a time. It's when the occasional rear end in a top hat who comes along who is personally offended by the very concept of not moving as fast as physically possible that there are conflicts.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, it still feels like a lot of people are giving off a strong appearance of "If you don't pull 3 packs at a time right from the get-go, you're doing it wrong and are bad"

And I'm not asking for the opposite. I'm not saying it's wrong or that everyone else needs to slow down all the time. Literally the only thing I ask is for people to have a bit of respect when a tank asks to take things a bit slower.

Because there are people out there who don't show any respect for that, and seem to take it as a personal challenge to see how many mobs they can shove down this Tankxiety-suffering individual's throat before they have a nervous breakdown or just die and wipe the group.

I am simply saying those particular individuals need to chill, and realize that sometimes people try to step into a role they are not comfortable with, and don't respond well to the Sink Or Swim teaching technique.

It is easier for a stronger player to slow down than it is for a weaker player to git gud. The only thing preventing it is pride and impatience.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'll be honest, I'm sorta overselling my reluctance to multipull.

You gotta admit though, that there ARE people out there who are impatient enough that even when a tank IS doing, let's say two pulls at a time, will go out and grab a third or even a forth. I've HAD those people when I've been tanking, and on an occasion when I was in fact doing two pulls at once. I was pissed.

Say what you want, I'm one of those people who does not like when other people are pulling for me - especially when I'm already doing the apparently-socially-required thing and pulling multiple packs at a time.

I've been in situations where I didn't want to multipull, but didn't say anything, and people started pulling ahead of me. I was frustrated, but I didn't refuse to tank stuff they brought to me; I hadn't said that I wanted to go slower, so whatever. But when I eventually got annoyed enough to ask them to stop pulling for me, they were rude and aggressive about it, and while I can't be certain, may have in fact started pulling faster.

One of the things the FF14 community prides itself on is being patient and welcoming and tolerant. This was not that. This was a "gently caress off and pull more, scrub" attitude. People like that are the sort who poison the idea of multipulling in my head, and the spectre of that type of person is honestly where I feel a lot of Tankxiety (not just in me, but in general) comes from. Not from the threat of dying, but because of the assholes who, instead of being kind and encouraging them to go faster don't worry I've got you, will start berating them or start pulling stunts to make their job harder when they're already struggling due to either the fact that they're new, or perhaps just not good at it. Because no one wants to deal with that bullshit; however rare it might be, it IS out there, I've seen it, and often, it's just not worth risking running into one of those fuckers and their negativity.

Asking someone to pull more because they can handle it and you can keep them up, and yelling at them to go faster or just pulling for them are two very, very different actions that will provoke very, very different responses.

In the end, it's not about what's being requested, it's how.

(If it feels like I'm moving goalposts in my arguments, take that as a sign that I'm conceding points. It's just how my brain works in this type of argument.)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 18, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GloomMouse posted:

The first part: Why not? It doesn't seem to be a gameplay mechanics reason at all and your posts have been very "I'm the Main Character"

The second part: Dungeon talk is going to be terse by necessity and that can easily be interpeted as rudeness when it's just brevity. Yes they could sugar coat it but also you can just read a healer saying "pull more" or actually doing it themselves as "please pull more, I am dying of boredom over here and I can keep us alive even if you are bad (and you aren't bad or I wouldn't say/do this)"

The first part: Generally because I can't quite shake the "It's fuckin' rude" attitude toward it from my days in WoW, but also it's honestly just a Tankxiety thing. I pull what I'm comfortable with, and if people force me to go faster than that, it feels like the situation has gone bad, even when it hasn't, and is just all-around an unpleasant feeling, because anxiety is not a sensation that obeys logic. It is something that will improve over time, but it is not something that you can simply tell someone to get over and go, because illogical emotional responses simply don't work that way.

The Second part: No no, they were very explicitly being insulting and rude, though it was long enough ago that I don't remember specific phrasing. Was a dungeon with particularly LONG stretches between packs, and he would run that mile and back just to bring more pulls to me, also saying outright that he would expect even brand new tanks to "play correctly", referring specifically to wall-to-walling whenever possible. I don't tend to assume hostility from short simple statements. I usually make the attempt to be civil and polite, but I will 100% become a mirror if met with hostility.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GloomMouse posted:

As other folks have said, your personal emotional journey is something that you personally have to come to terms with.

However just as anxiety doesn't respond to logic, the actions of 3/4 of the team on a pull don't have anything to do with WoW ptsd flashbacks or w/e. Putting the onus on the others while you sort that out doesn't seem right at all, and if the repeated evidence of you own eyes that things turned out alright isn't enough, then what more can even be done? Also "slowing down a bit" in most post-ARR dungeons is just one pack pulling and I don't know how that would help get past small pulls either

You talk as if the non-tank pullers are a recurring problem and while I 100% believe someone was a outright dick, it's not happening all the time in ffxiv. That's why I talked about the other "rude" behavior you might see, and how it's not actually directed rudeness and you are reading into it what isn't there.

You'd be astounded how unlucky some people get, but you are correct - there are people who pull ahead of the tank who aren't trying to be dicks. I don't get hostile unless I ask them to stop (I don't always, and if I don't, I just deal with it or, in fact, speed up) and they respond with actual hostility, and not just two words that might well have an implied "please" attached.

As I've said, it is something that will improve with time, and HAS improved over time since I first started tanking. But it's a process. For some people, it's a slow one. And getting angry that the tank doesn't want to wall-to-wall pull will not speed up that process.

But look at the number of people who have responded these last few pages with either outright insults, saying "stop having anxiety then and just do it", or ignoring that issue entirely and just saying "it's easy and if you don't do it like this, you're wrong", the last of which is where I sorta got this whole argument started by telling him to piss off with the "my way or the highway" attitude. And I stand by that. Yes, Tankxiety is something where the onus is on the tank to get over it, but I feel like a polite request to speed up isn't hard. Silent judging helps no one. Insults help no one. Assertions that "it's easy and you should already be doing it like this" without knowing why the tank isn't wall-to-walling doesn't help the nervous tank suddenly improve. Gentle nudges to "go faster, I've got you" are all it takes to not be the bad guy. If the tank doesn't respond at all to requests to speed up, or is hostile when asked to pull more, then yes, that tank is the bad guy. But I put effort it to not be that guy, and frankly I've never seen that guy in anyone else.

The more I think about it, the more I want to say my objection isn't to being told I should be pulling more. It's people being assholes about it, or just generally giving off an air of "just do it, stupid". Most of the time, if you're not a jerk, and ask me to pull more, I will either oblige, or politely explain that I would rather not, and why. If they press further (without being an rear end in a top hat about it), there is a good chance I will oblige.

But if you start throwing insults or just start pulling stuff into me, and either ignore or insult me if I ask you to stop, that's when I get pissed off.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 19, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lazer Viking posted:

Im just gonna go ahead and keep not tanking. ggz

The fact that multiple people have looked at this argument the last few pages and said "Nope, I'm never tanking, gently caress that" are another point I feel should be pointed out. The fact that the idea of not meeting Social Norm Speedrunning Standards is met with such Parental-style "I'm not mad, just disappointed" when it's not outright hostility is a very convincing argument for many people that "Tanking is a thing I never want to do because I don't want to be on the receiving end of that".

People will learn and improve at their own pace, and while some will respond to pressure to push themselves, others are rather... non-newtonian with their learning speed. The more pressure you put on them to improve, the more they will actively resist pushing for the improvement you want to see, out of spite. It's not a conscious decision. It's an automatic response. Hostility is met with hostility. Equal and opposite reaction, whatever science-y sounding or pseudo-scientific bullshit label you want to apply to it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Ibblebibble posted:

I played a bit of Wow Dragonflight between XIV patches and honestly I didn't get much flak despite tanking dungeons as a newbie. Maybe Oceanic servers are just built different. It's also kinda surprising seeing which tank skills cross over between games and which do not. Also, prot pally has like 100 more APM than PLD, it's wild.

I don't really care about tanxiety, I just wanted to ramble on a bit about tanking differences between games.

Honestly, fair. WoW Toxicity is absolutely still a thing, but it's not a guaranteed every time thing, or even guaranteed every other time. It's just more common.

Also, the APM thing probably has something to do with WoW's global cooldown being 1.5 seconds rather than FF14 where it's closer to 2.5, and that's before you start stacking haste effects.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GloomMouse posted:

The comment that sometimes you'll indulge your team and let them have bigger pulls is what got to me, personally.

Perhaps a poor choice of words. It wasn't meant to imply some sort of power-fantasy or anything. It was honestly just meant as an "I usually don't like doing this, but I'll give it a try" sort of thing.

EDIT:
As an aside:

Lazer Viking posted:

I like you. Youre good people.

In all honesty, thanks. This does mean a lot.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 19, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kyrosiris posted:

So you were challenged, you succeeded at it, and then got pissy? Why?

Because Anxiety doesn't obey logical reasoning, so people should stop trying to use that as a reason why you should just stop having Anxiety?

Also, I will point out, I did not "get pissy". I got annoyed enough to ask the person to stop, at which point they responded with hostility.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sunday Morning posted:

dps remains the coolest of the roles and no amount of tank or healer talk has been able to budge me on that stance :colbert:

I main Ninja and I agree with this statement.

Part of the reason Gunbreaker is my primary tank job is because it feels like a DPS. (but also because as a roleplayer, my character absolutely loves his Gunblade it is his favorite new toy since he came to Eorzea)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Frida Call Me posted:

this strategy works marvelously in cutter's cry. you can skip 100% of the trash between the second and third boss by just activating the teleporters (caster with sleep helps tons), and 100% of the trash between the third and last boss by doing a tank sac. i encourage people to do both whenever i get it in roulettes ever since they took mob XP away.

Personally, I despise that strategy precisely because it never goes as planned - that and half the time they don't actually tell people they're doing it in the first place.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

reversefungi posted:

Are there any other dungeons/trials I should really consider doing with duty support instead of a normal group? I'm near the end of ShB (currently on the level 78 quests) and I've been bouncing between duty support and grouping with others. While the former is fun for some of the extra dialogue, it feels a little slow compared to the latter.

Honestly, I'm an advocate for *always* doing Duty Support the first time through, at least from Heavensward onward, since that's where you start pairing with actual named characters instead of full parties of the same generics over and over - and sometimes you get some very unique party members - you're already past it, but as an example, the level 70 dungeon (the one that's not from the patches) actually has... well, I'll put it in spoiler tags, because... y'know, new players thread. Don't peek if you don't want spoilers for the level 70 dungeon's party members! Depending on your role, Arenvald is your tank (yay, our boy!), and while yeah, ever-present Alphinaud is your healer, but your two DPS are Lyse and, if the player is not also a DPS, Raubahn himself! And Raubahn is very impressive... especially if the final boss drags on long enough and he snags the LB2. ROAR, TIZONA!

But yeah. Duty Support is slower, but you get the extra context and chatter from NPCs, you get to learn the fights without other people around (hell, the NPCs behavior can help teach you the fights), you're guaranteed all the loot to yourself (even if there is less total loot in Duty Support than regular dungeons), and all that good stuff.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

reversefungi posted:

Those are all great points, might have to stick to only duty support where I can moving forward! I had absolutely no idea that you got named NPCs in StB, it wasn't immediately obvious to me until ShB where you started seeing the icons over the various NPCs outside a duty you just unlocked. Is there any way to go back and re-do them with the named NPCs?

Yeah, if you look through your menus, somewhere you should find an option that says "Duty Support". You can actually drag that off and onto your side bars somewhere if you want, but there, you'll have access to every dungeon you've unlocked that has Duty Support. That includes all 4-man dungeons that are required as part of the Main Story Quests, though no Alliance Raids or 8-man trials, with one very notable exception - the level 89 Trial mentioned previously, which I will say nothing else about.

The only MSQ-required dungeons that don't have Duty Support yet are the dungeons added during the Stormblood Patches, and those will likely come with 6.5, at which point all MSQ-required dungeons will have Duty Support. After that... who knows, they may look into adding Duty Support for the MSQ-required 8-man Trials, but that's just speculation, and not anything they've stated plans for as of yet.

Of note, generally, from Shadowbringers onward, the Duty Support menu will have a little menu to let you select who you bring with you, but up until then, the party members offered will simply depend on your current role. Some NPCs may adjust their role based on yours, other times one NPC will simply sit out depending on what role you take. So it's worth opening the menu while in multiple roles, just to see who does what.

I will say, all of the ARR Duty Support uses the same four nameless NPCs who have a sort of progression as they level up alongside you, but they MOSTLY vanish starting in Heavensward. They return for two dungeons late in Heavensward, but after that, unless they return again in the Stormblood Patch dungeons in 6.5, they vanish as of the end of Heavensward.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 15, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly delight in simply observing their behavior and what sort of moves and attacks they use, as a lot of them have interesting quirks and abilities that the players don't get, or just little behavioral quirks that work with their personality. Minor spoilers below for various characters who appear in Duty Support mode in Shadowbringers.

For example, if both Alphinaud and Alisaie are present, Alphinaud will prioritize healing a low-health Alisaie over anyone else - even the player or the tank. Alisaie herself is the single most Limit-Break-thirsty NPC in the game, and will frequently snatch it up within seconds of it becoming available, if it's even remotely safe to do so (though will wait for LB2 when it's an option). Some characters will defer the limit break to the player if they are DPS, but Alisaie is one of those NPCs that you will need to race to that button. Meanwhile, various characters have unique class variants, like Alphinaud's Academician working like a Scholar that doesn't have a Fairy, instead keeping his Carbuncle that functions like they did before Endwalker, as a persistent pet that adds a bit of extra damage; his heals are stronger than normal to make up for the lack of fairy healing. Or Y'shtola, who has her own unique damage rotation going through all six elements, instead of only the ones used by White or Black Mages. Urianger has a unique trick or two his own as well, occasionally targeting a low health enemy with "Death of the Seventh Dawn" to instantly finish them off - and honestly, he has my favorite voice clip of his attached to that spell as well. "All that I have and more I bring to bear!"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 15, 2023

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Dareon posted:

To be fair, it is still significantly slower than doing it with other players, because Trusts/Duty Support NPCs won't use AoEs and will stop attacking to dodge danger puddles. They are, however, very good at dodging danger puddles, although if you have a mixed puddle/stack mechanic you need to follow them to the safe zone they decided on. I had the entire team run away from me when I had a stack marker because they were dodging an AoE with two safe zones and I went to the other one.

Essentially, it's gonna take you half an hour to play a dungeon "single-player." This can be faster than waiting for other people, depending on time of day and popularity of content.

The exception to this rule, is that sometimes, when there are multiple danger puddles on the ground from multiple sources (for example, two Garlean Colossus enemies both using their Grand Sword cone slash), the NPCs will only acknowledge one at a time - which means sometimes they will dodge out of one danger puddle, only to obliviously stand in another one.

God Hole posted:

leveling a healer alt through ShB I noticed Ryne is often the one character who will consistently stand in an avoidable mechanic when it goes off. she never dies to it, so I think she only does it when she's near full health, but I thought it was a nice touch if it was intentional; she's still new to this and can't quite read the tells that the rest of the team can. I noticed the first time through Dohn Mheg that she was standing off doing nothing during the second boss' 1st Growing phase and left her tether unattended. She got it every time after that, though.

Obviously her and Thancred don't have access to the full NIN and GNB toolkits. I never noticed it myself but I think someone here mentioned that Thancred is capable of using more of his toolkit when they're both on the team together owing to the fact that Ryne primes Thancred's aether cartridges for him

It seems like after ARR or HW all the DS tanks have an invuln or an otherwise really nice defensive mit that they can use at least once per mob pull.

More talk of Shadowbringers Duty Support characters

What I mentioned above is likely what seems to keep happening with Ryne. I personally haven't noticed her be any better or worse than anyone else in this regard. Never seen an NPC ignore the tether, though. Curious. But yeah, Thancred will not use his Gnashing Fang combo unless Ryne is in the party; later on, Urianger and Y'shtola can fill in this role. However, overall potency of his abilities is, from what I've been led to understand, balanced to make this purely a cosmetic detail. Ryne herself sticks to using Rogue abilities. She'll Hide at the start of pull and approach slowly to open with Trick Attack, providing bonus damage for the whole party with a Vulnerability Up debuff. Once in a while she'll use a spell called "Banish" several times in a row, followed by the Ninja's "Dream Within a Dream" attack as a large burst combo. Ryne is one of those that will never use the Limit Break if the player is a DPS, though if the player is not a DPS, she seems more willing to cut loose, which is nice because she's melee, so she has the single-target LB, unlike Alisaie.

But yeah, generally every tank has an Invulnerability button they can use if things really, REALLY get bad. Seems to have about the cooldown you'd expect, though, so don't expect it every pull. Most tanks, it seems to simply work like Paladins' Hallowed Ground, though one in particular uses Superbolide... which works exactly like it normally does.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I won't defend QTEs, but if nothing else, at least it's not asking you to hit this one specific button within 0.375 seconds of the prompt appearing or something dumb like that.

Just mash buttons. That's nice and simple. It doesn't even have to be just one button, you can make it easier by mashing multiple buttons! Facemash your keyboard, go nuts. Just be doing a thing.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

I believe the earlier ones change as well, I don't exactly have the game open to check.

The questlogs for the 61-70 log shrinks significantly if you don't have the DRK Crystal equipped. The implication is clearly that Fray is writing those parts of the quest log, which a few specific parts confirm toward the end. While this is also clearly the case for the 30-50 questlogs, those I believe remain visible without the DRK crystal equipped. I don't know if the level 80 quest is affected or not.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

It's actually a soft rule in FFXIV public roleplaying circles that you are Not the Warrior of Light in RP contexts. It's considered very rude to just rock up and RP as the WoL without clearing it with everyone you're playing with first, which you can't really do in public RP contexts.

(I don't personally RP with randos anymore, too many bad experiences accumulated over years across multiple RP mediums, but I know people who do and it's really the only sane rule to have for a public RP setting.)

Of course, the downside to this is that it does kinda mean reacting to literally anything that happens on The First becomes taboo. You're not the Warrior of Light, and you're certainly not a Scion, so you have not been there, and hearing about what went down there is a slim chance at best.

I haven't found my way into any in-game RP outside of close friends, though. This is just me going off of what seems to be common sense with this in mind.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Like Clockwork posted:

I doubt it, a lot of the people I've seen who really lean in on the canon WoL being ridiculous in terms of power level/everyone loving them aren't in in-game RP circles or use different characters entirely for public RP. It's just sometimes fun to let a character be overpowered in personal writing, and it's not like the actual game itself discourages it.

I try to keep my own character competent and dangerous in a fight, but still at least mildly grounded and reasonable in terms of power.

The most "unique" and "special" thing about them is something I would, if I were to get into public in-game RP, reserve strictly for people I know... or someone who, against all logic, were to figure out this particular fact for themselves. It's not something he advertises. At least, not overtly. There is the occasional hint that only makes sense if you already know said secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At best, there's a side-story that ends up having its finale in there, but that's only up through floor 50.