Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Are we going to have the same exact discussion we already had 8 days ago?

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the issue with people like Santos is that interrogating parties will just identify "conventional" lies or malfeasance which appear sufficient to show the person is a lying scumbag. At that point, the idea that the subject is also lying about literally everything else, ever becomes counterintuitive. With other responsibilities, limited resources, and a limit on how far you can leverage the mundane lies you've discovered, there's not normally a drive to dig further- and the other claims are so easy to check that, well, why would you need to check them? In this way, someone who lies pathologically about every drat thing is actually less likely to get widely exposed.

I think I'll call it the Tallarico paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

He's part of the right-wing griftosphere...
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1608978638996910080?s=20&t=zFKRWXEcDOhJfR5OqEPeSw

There's other photos of him with Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson for those keeping track of the UK right-wingers.

so surelly Musky is going to cave and pivot back to work from home-hahahahha

Galaxy Bean Musk : just ask other buildings or starbuchs/McD for their wifi password and do hardcore coding on the sidewalk

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wonder if Santos is one of the many that Democrats worked to get nominated.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah I'm quite sympathetic to "surely 'George' Santos isn't lying about his mother's death, his entire resume, and his first name"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Yeah I'm quite sympathetic to "surely 'George' Santos isn't lying about his mother's death, his entire resume, and his first name"

I could understand this, except if you actually searched his Twitter

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

He wasn't in a contested primary, it sounds, so no.

I'm not really a big fan of the strategy since it seems prone to backfiring, but it seems like it both wasn't what the doomsayers kept telling me it was, and yet worked pretty well anyway , so :shrug:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

He was unopposed in the primary, so no, he wasn't one of the candidates the DCCC and DGA spent millions to define early as insane nutjob conservatives with wildly unpopular abortion and immigration policies and close ties to Trump.

(Which, to be clear, is what "working to get nominated" entailed)

You can see for yourself!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5XVRDC50Do

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 1, 2023

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Politics being made up of people who don't experience the feeling of shame really explains a lot about the state of things.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Killer robot posted:

I'm not really a big fan of the strategy since it seems prone to backfiring, but it seems like it both wasn't what the doomsayers kept telling me it was, and yet worked pretty well anyway , so :shrug:

Seems like it isn't a bad strategy unless you're Hillary Clinton.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Killer robot posted:

Even if it "works", you're still pushing the Republicans further to the right. So congrats, you won by pushing a fascist message and kneecapping what little remains of the non flaming underwear on their head part of the party

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It's time to end this little masquerade. There ain't no George Santos, kid. Never was. Selling my line of work takes on a variety of aliases. Hell, once I was even a Tiktoker for six months. But you've been a sport, so I guess I owe you a little honesty. The name's Frank Fontaine.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gyges posted:

Even if it "works", you're still pushing the Republicans further to the right. So congrats, you won by pushing a fascist message and kneecapping what little remains of the non flaming underwear on their head part of the party

That's not even related to how it operates; it's wedge messaging, it reduces turnout on either side of the issue. It's also, if you actually clicked the link or read any of the discussions of it, isn't promotional of the fringier or more fascist candidate.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Killer robot posted:

Thanks for checking, I'm on mobile atm

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Gyges posted:

147 Republicans voted against certifying Biden's electoral votes literally hours after a violent insurrection on Capitol Hill. Liz Cheney lost her leadership post for not saying The Big Lie was the truth. There isn't enough left of the non-flaming-underwear-on-head segment to matter. The inmates are running the asylum.

Plus, don't forget that none of the Republican establishment liked Trump in 2016, but when he became the nominee, even the no-flaming-underwear-on-head segment bent the knee. They're going to do it again for the next raging rear end in a top hat who wins the nomination. The idea that the best approach is to try and gently nudge the Republicans back into sanity is ridiculous.

Also, this: vvvv

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 1, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gyges posted:

That's what I mean about how people misrepresented to me what Democrats were doing and how it worked, as others already pointed out. Democrats literally running attack ads against fascists is not pushing a fascist message no matter how much it makes the fascists fasc harder or whatever.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Having spent some years in Michigan I followed the MI-3 Republican House primary race pretty closely. MI-3 was the race where the DCCC's campaign strategy caught the most home team flack and there was a massive slapfight about it on twitter at the time.

Peter Meijer was the 1 term incumbent Republican defending against a MAGA candidate named John Gibbs that Trump had sent after him.

Meijer was the only Freshman House Republican to vote to impeach Trump for Jan 6.

The Atlantic did a massive deep dive profile on Meijer, it's extremely pro-read even just for the inside Jan 6 perspective. It also has some hilarious stuff about McCarthy somehow managing to be even more garbage at leadership than you'd expect him to be.

https://twitter.com/AnnaCBross/status/1468215418536050701

quote:

Freshman orientation was a blur of propaganda and innuendo and state-sanctioned conspiracy mongering. Meijer watched, from a hotel lounge, as the president’s lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell held a deranged press conference at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee. New members listened to powerful lawmakers leveling accusations that had no apparent basis in fact. They compared the crazed voicemails they were getting from friends and family members and swapped stories of the intimidation they were subjected to by voters demanding that they overturn the presidential-election result.

Dismayed, a group of freshman Republicans asked for a meeting with Kevin McCarthy shortly after their swearing-in. According to multiple people who attended that meeting, the House minority leader refused to give them advice, explicit or implicit, about how to vote on the election certification. Whereas Mitch McConnell was whipping furiously for certification in his Senate caucus, McCarthy left his new House members without a clue as to the party’s position on whether Congress should obey the Constitution. When they pressed him—one of the freshmen asked whether Trump was crazy enough to believe that decertification would somehow keep him in office—McCarthy replied, “The thing you have to understand about Donald Trump is that he hasn’t been in government that long. He doesn’t know how these things work.”

As word got around that the freshmen were up for grabs, a lobbying blitz commenced. Some of the House hard-liners who sought to block certification—Mo Brooks, Jim Jordan, Matt Gaetz—shared discredited YouTube testimonies and Fox News clips to emphasize how the issue was playing with the conservative base. Countering that influence were the likes of Kinzinger and Cheney, who sat down with rookie lawmakers for one-on-one conversations, warning them of the precedent they would set by objecting to the election results. Meijer remembers one longtime member—who confessed that he did not believe the election had been stolen but said he would vote against certification anyway—telling him: “This is the last thing Donald Trump will ever ask you to do.”

quote:

Meijer remembers straining to hear Nancy Pelosi giving a speech through a thick mask. He remembers raiding a refrigerator in the office of Kevin Brady, the ranking Republican on the committee, and drinking a beer to pass the time. And he remembers walking into a small side room and encountering two House Republican colleagues. “They were discussing the Twenty-Fifth Amendment—talking about phone calls they made to the White House, encouraging officials to invoke the Twenty-Fifth Amendment,” Meijer says. “Neither of them voted for impeachment a week later.”

quote:

That entire day—the vote, as much as the attack—had caught Meijer unprepared. His party’s leadership had provided no guidance to its members, leaving everyone to navigate a squall of rumor and disinformation in one-man lifeboats.

The next week, when Democrats introduced an article of impeachment and promptly scheduled a vote, seeking to hold President Donald Trump accountable for inciting the mob’s siege of the Capitol, Meijer steeled himself for some tough conversations within his party. But those conversations never happened: Most of Trump’s staunchest defenders were too shell-shocked to defend him, even behind closed doors, and the Republican leadership in the House was once again AWOL. There were no whipping efforts, no strategy sessions, no lectures on procedure or policy. Barreling toward one of the most consequential votes in modern history, everyone was on their own.

Whatever his final decision, Meijer didn’t want to blindside the people back in his district. So he began making calls. The conversations did not go well. Meijer remembers one man, “a prominent business leader in Grand Rapids,” arguing that the election had been stolen, that Trump was entitled to a second term, that Meijer was a pawn of the “deep state.” The man went “full QAnon,” spouting conspiracy theories and threatening him with vague but menacing consequences if he voted to impeach. Meijer was well acquainted with that kind of talk; one of his own siblings was fully in the grip of right-wing conspiracies. Even so, the conversation “shook me to my core,” Meijer says, “because the facade had been stripped away. It showed me just how bad this had gotten.”

quote:

“Of the 10, I’ve got the most respect for Peter—because he was brand-new,” Kinzinger, one of the GOP’s anti-Trump ringleaders, told me. “There were other freshmen who talked a big game, but the pressure got to them. Honestly, on the day before the vote, I thought we’d have 25 with us. Then it fell apart; I’m surprised we wound up with 10. But what I recognized with Peter, during our conversations, was that he never talked about the political implications. And that was rare. If someone brought up the political implications, that was a good indicator that they weren’t going to vote with us. But the people who never brought it up, I knew they would follow through. And Peter was one of them.”

quote:

Later, over beers at a nearby pub, I reminded Meijer of his burden in the aftermath of the impeachment vote: He and the other nine dissenters were supposed to be “the hope” for their party’s future. He had just spoken to a group of soon-to-be voters whose notions of Republicanism were formed by red hats and angry chants and crazed tweets. Meijer had just looked the party’s future in the eye and acted as though all of that was normal. “How do you explain to George,” I asked, “the difference between the Republican Party that fills his imagination and that scares him, versus the Republican Party that you want to represent?”

“Well, my Republican Party wouldn’t scare him,” Meijer said with a shrug.

I asked if he understood why George and his friends might be scared right now. He smirked. “The inability to affirmatively and consistently reject anti-Semitism and white supremacy?”

The fundamental problem, Meijer said, is that Republicans are offering no plans for improving lives and making the future a more promising place. Instead, the party continues to rely on grievance and fear—and misinformation—to scare voters into their ranks. But he didn’t say any of this to George.

And here's a great excerpt from an interview Meijer did with Newsweek.

quote:

NEWSWEEK: You've been in Congress about a year and a half. What is your assessment of that experience so far? And are you optimistic about the direction politics is going?

MEIJER: I think there's room for optimism. I think one of the challenges is, it's hard to fix a lot of governmental dysfunction in a politically polarized moment. At the same time, I think that government dysfunction has bred political polarization. There's understandable frustration from all Americans that things aren't getting done in Congress. Yet some of the ways in which those frustrations vent themselves make it harder to fix the underlying issues.

I've been focused on trying to go beneath the symptoms and focus on how can we begin to tackle some of the underlying causes, and some of the reasons why our federal government fails at its job, some of the reasons why it's hard to get things done. That has expressed itself in my efforts to reassert the legislative branch's primacy in areas of war and peace through the National Security Reforms and Accountability Act, trying to tackle the growth of the emergency powers claimed by the president through one of the titles in that act. Those are things that we can at least make progress on in a bipartisan way. And then hopefully laying the groundwork to begin to have a better balance between federal government action and state government action ... Trying to move the needle so that we, at the end of the day, have a government that can be, as functional and as affective to its goal of serving the citizens of this country. Frankly, as we should expect as a superpower.

One of the most consequential votes you took was in January 2021, when you voted to impeach Trump. Nearly a year and a half later, do you see things at all differently today compared to how you did then? Any regrets?

No. I think it's essential that we have politicians who don't put their jersey on first. My goal has been to operate in a non-hypocritical manner. I grew up watching The Daily Show where Jon Stewart would play a clip, and it didn't matter if it was a Republican or a Democrat—you know, played a clip of the same individual arguing against a four-years-later version of themselves. Because whatever they were criticizing the administration of the other party over, they were excusing what their party did.

I think that pervasive hypocrisy, you know, "My side can do no wrong and theirs could do no right," I think has led to a general dissatisfaction with our elected officials. I think in order to stop that trend, folks need to be honest and not just tell their constituents what they want to hear and not just play to the crowd, but have some fundamental principles rather than viewing everything as a subjective matter. If it had been 2012 and Barack Obama had lost that election, and had his supporters storming the Capitol, I'm pretty sure there would have been a few more Republicans voting for impeachment.

Because of that vote, you're facing a Trump-backed challenger. When you speak with voters in your district, what do you tell them sets you apart from John Gibbs?

I think one of the sad realities that have come of this moment—I've attended many events where very little of policy substance was discussed. I think we should have policy-oriented conversations rather than a conversation—rather than a politics whose goal is to channel the anger of the electorate in a way that best benefits the candidate personally.

My focus is, frankly, on running on our results, what we've delivered to the district so far, what we have been able to accomplish, even in a polarized political environment, where I have tried to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good, but try to at least drive what improvements and what positive action we can in this toxic environment today, while connecting that to where we need to be.

My goal is to make our government work. And that requires deep diagnosis, that requires deep analysis. That also requires being realistic about the political moment, rather than just nodding in agreement to whatever the crowd wants to hear. I think that it's easy to be the populist. It's much more challenging to encourage people—to say, "Your emotion, your frustration is 100 percent valid, and here's how we do something productive with it," rather than keep spinning in circles.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 1, 2023

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
That Meijer guy sounds like he had some convictions he stood by. Shame he's still a republican and therefore still a shitbag with poo poo policy positions. (Anti-abortion for example: https://sbaprolife.org/representative/peter-meijer )

Honestly, the fewer 'reasonable' republicans left, the better. It would weaken the eye-roll inducing 'both sides are reasonable' arguments you hear in the media. It'll mean less of an excuse to compromise with the right, because they'll be more mask off bout their fascism than the scheming McConnell type who has reigned for decades. Let them radicalize themselves into a despicable party that is morally repugnant to behold for the large majority of people. Let them radicalize themselves out of power.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately I'm sure the fantasy of the Reasonable Republican riding over the hill to save them will remain an excuse for years after the ghost has been given up.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

What meaningful contribution are you making here or are you just bitching because you don't have a captive audience of unfortunate college students in front of you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dull Fork posted:

That Meijer guy sounds like he had some convictions he stood by. Shame he's still a republican and therefore still a shitbag with poo poo policy positions. (Anti-abortion for example: https://sbaprolife.org/representative/peter-meijer )

Honestly, the fewer 'reasonable' republicans left, the better. It would weaken the eye-roll inducing 'both sides are reasonable' arguments you hear in the media. It'll mean less of an excuse to compromise with the right, because they'll be more mask off bout their fascism than the scheming McConnell type who has reigned for decades. Let them radicalize themselves into a despicable party that is morally repugnant to behold for the large majority of people. Let them radicalize themselves out of power.

If the media is determined to "both sides" everything then no, them becoming more insane as a party won't make them seem less electable, it will just normalize what are now far right positions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

If the media is determined to "both sides" everything then no, them becoming more insane as a party won't make them seem less electable, it will just normalize what are now far right positions.

We're already at the point where the idea of not wanting to genocide queer people at least a little bit is considered unreasonable extremism that sensible moderates must decry.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Give me an enemy who says to my face 'yeah I plan on killing x minority group, they're sub-human' over the one who talks in dog-whistles and hides behind mealy-mouthed platitudes. One is far easier to rally against, even if they make some chuds brave enough to be more publicly bigoted. I'm sure a nice can of Twisted Tea will shut them up.

Edit: Also, the midterm results beg to differ about a more insane republican party being more electable. How many Trump endorsed candidates won their elections?

Dull Fork fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 1, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dull Fork posted:

Give me an enemy who says to my face 'yeah I plan on killing x minority group, they're sub-human' over the one who talks in dog-whistles and hides behind mealy-mouthed platitudes. One is far easier to rally against, even if they make some chuds brave enough to be more publicly bigoted. I'm sure a nice can of Twisted Tea will shut them up.

Edit: Also, the midterm results beg to differ about a more insane republican party being more electable. How many Trump endorsed candidates won their elections?

I think literally just one if you count JD Vance. Maybe two, but I struggle to think of who else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dull Fork posted:

Problem is even when they lose it helps make those ideas more mainstream and there's barely any real pushback against them, the 'polite' Republicans take all that onboard to compete with the crazies and the Democrats respect their esteemed colleagues.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Lib and let die posted:

What meaningful contribution are you making here or are you just bitching because you don't have a captive audience of unfortunate college students in front of you

Stalk someone interesting. I hear Grimes has an opening.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This kind of thing makes sense for the layperson, but not an opposition research group. It comes off as an excuse of incompetence or laziness to me, especially with how blatant some of these lies were. If the information was given to the DCCC and they did nothing with it, then the blame is on them for not understanding the electorate enough to know what people care about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I'm not sure that "well nobody thought that he could be pathological liar :shrug:" is a good excuse for people who's actual job is to dig up dirt on their opponent. They seriously dropped the ball no matter how you explain it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

gurragadon posted:

This kind of thing makes sense for the layperson, but not an opposition research group. It comes off as an excuse of incompetence or laziness to me, especially with how blatant some of these lies were. If the information was given to the DCCC and they did nothing with it, then the blame is on them for not understanding the electorate enough to know what people care about.

It probably wasn't the DCCC who had the information but whatever research company the campaign decided to use or whether they decided to use one at all.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

gurragadon posted:

The DCCC did in fact "do something" with the information they found, which was also something already discussed in the last page. I swear to god it's like the forum has Korsakoff's.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 1, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

George Santos is gong to be a powerful congressperson.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The DCCC did in fact "do something" with the information they found, which was also something already discussed in the last page. I swear to god it's like the forum has Korsakoff's.

Hey there's no reason to be a dick, I am reading the opposition research that was listed on the last page and I don't see anything about him lying about his mom and 9/11, pulse nightclub lies or stuff like him lying about being Jewish. I mean the opposition research lists him going to Baruch College from 2006-2010 but nothing about him not actually graduating.

It sure seems like the opposition research portion was pretty poorly done and missing a lot of clearly obvious lies. I don't know whether and outside group or the DCCC did the research, thats why I used IF in my post, the point is it was incomplete.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gyges posted:

There is no non-flaming underwear on their head part of the party. It's all lovely fascists, ground up, ground down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This year is going to be a wild ride in the House. Kevin McCarthy just conceded on a point that he had previously said he wouldn't in order to become speaker. It would allow him to be replaced more easily if the membership gets tired of him. It's also still not guaranteed that he has the votes to actually become Speaker either. To me it's beginning to feel a lot like the Paul Ryan years.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/politics/mccarthy-key-concession-speakership-race/index.html

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Electing diet fascists like Mitt Romney does not inoculate a population against fascism. If anything it enables them as the open fascists in the party get to play double underdog, and that's how we got Trump. Having open fascists be the face of the GOP exposes moderates and "more bipartisanship!" liberals as being feckless cowards to anyone paying even the barest amount of attention.

I agree with the poster above who said that they would rather deal with an open fascist than a fash that pretends to respect the rule of law.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

This year is going to be a wild ride in the House. Kevin McCarthy just conceded on a point that he had previously said he wouldn't in order to become speaker. It would allow him to be replaced more easily if the membership gets tired of him. It's also still not guaranteed that he has the votes to actually become Speaker either. To me it's beginning to feel a lot like the Paul Ryan years.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/politics/mccarthy-key-concession-speakership-race/index.html

Dear 2023, please let there be a new Speaker of the House every two weeks like it's the political equivalent to being the Drummer from Spinal Tap or something.

Thank you.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m very excited for someone to screw up the votes and accidentally elect a Democrat as Speaker.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Taking bets on whether McCarthy lasts longer than Liz Truss or not.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I'm really curious why mccarthy even wants the job. I'm not saying Boehner or Ryan were some kind of political geniuses or anything but they're clearly at least as talented as he is, and failed miserably with a way bigger cushion and in a time when the gop was somewhat more moderate than it is now. What does he think is going to happen?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pencilhands posted:

I'm really curious why mccarthy even wants the job. I'm not saying Boehner or Ryan were some kind of political geniuses or anything but they're clearly at least as talented as he is, and failed miserably with a way bigger cushion and in a time when the gop was somewhat more moderate than it is now. What does he think is going to happen?

because he failed in humiliating fashion last time he was supposed to be speaker and he wanted to wash the shame of that failure away

things aren't going according to plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pencilhands posted:

McCarthy just wants power at any cost and is too dimwitted to grasp everything that comes along with the crown and is completely disinterested in ever learning about it and will be in for one hell of an on-the-job learning experience if he ever attains the position. He tried to grab the ring back in 2015 when Boehner left and was literally laughed out of the room be the rest of the Republican congressional caucus because even back then they knew he was an unserious dimwit who just wanted the power and prestige of calling himself Speaker of the House and that was literally where his ambition ended.