Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Cranappleberry posted:

I know it invites dispute, but I agree with the posters that say hypocrisy doesn't really matter in reality and this includes justices ruling on which laws/rights apply and to whom.
Nah I agree as well. Or rather too much weight is put on the idea of “hypocrisy” as something that negates a point rather than hypocrisy simply being used as a tool to sus out someone’s actual principles. Pointing out “hypocrisy” as a whataboutism is a common reactionary tactic that more people should just ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Staluigi posted:

Matt Gaetz's face is American Sign Language for date rapist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Staluigi’s posts were based and truepilled and he didn’t deserve the probate. 💯💯👍👍🙏

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

when it comes to the youtube algorithm, isn't it owned by google? can't they just cross reference what videos the algorithm is feeding the people they've been datafarming for decades? "hey, let's look at the videos the algorithm is recommending to people who go to stormfront and google "phrenology" all the time."

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yeah the male loneliness statistic is concerning. But it's really hard to talk about on the left (for understandable reasons) and pretty impossible to find a solution or advice.

Like okay, you've persuaded enough people on the left that we should discuss this. Then what?

Men are having a hard time finding partners. Okay?

"It's poverty that's doing it." Well then they're hosed. We're in Late Stage Capitalism heading towards a depression.

"They have to live with their parents." Well then they're hosed. The prices of houses are not going down.

"They're isolated because there's no walkable cities." Well then they're hosed. We're never going to have walkable cities.

And so on. You can provide leftist explanations for people's problems but "upend capitalism and install communism" is not a practical solution to people's personal, immediate problems.

Like really the best you can do is to provide men a space in progressive circles where they can emotionally support each other and give advice on how to survive and find love in Nightmare Hellworld, but I don't know how that is not going to end up becoming misogynistic. You put a bunch of sad men in a room, and they're going to complain about women.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 20, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I can't find an economics thread, but if the inflation is due to corporate price gouging, why have the markets been reporting losses per quarter and the stock market been so low?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends on the company. Some companies are reporting record profits, but seeing stock prices plunge because people assumed that they had a huge pandemic boom (like Peloton), but are going to inevitably go bankrupt or just can't maintain the profits/size going forward.

Some companies really are losing a lot of money.

Part of a stock price is the company's ability to generate future revenue/value and another part is people guessing about future value. Amazon's stock shot up a long time before they were profitable because people (correctly) assumed that Amazon was going to end up a dominant force and worth a lot of money in the future, even though it was losing money at the time.

There is an element of price gouging to inflation (in the sense that people will pay for it and they may have reduced supply, so they can raise prices to make more profit per chicken breast to cover up the loss of moving lots more inventory), but it's not something you can mathematically count and probably not the biggest source of inflation (or else every major currency in the world, except for Japan, wouldn't have seen nearly the exact same amount of inflation all at the same time and companies didn't suddenly realize they could price gouge now after decades of not being aware).

Okay, so the market is expecting a recession so people are cautious to put money in.

But if the majority of the inflation is price gouging then why has the Commerce Department been reporting that the economy been shrinking?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

plogo posted:

Earnings growth is slowing but the markets have not been reporting losses in aggregate.

Okay, so corporate profits have been shrinking despite the price gouging? Does that mean that people are spending less on the inflated prices? If so, why are the prices inflated then?

Can you explain the second part of your sentence in detail?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

(a) inflation is not due to corporate price gouging. corporations always want to raise prices. they like money! they always want more! inflation is what happens when they can raise prices; because many times they cannot. right now they can raise prices, because demand (in dollars) is higher than supply. this is like when people say that oil prices are high because oil companies are greedy. they're always greedy! that's not an explanation!
...that doesn't answer my question.

plogo posted:

Corporate profits have been increasing at a slower rate, not shrinking.
but the Commerce Department said the economy is "contracting", how does a profits increase result in contraction?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 21, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

plogo posted:

I don't have particularly strong views about the exact decomposition of inflation but you can see here (from the same document) that profit margins for large (S&P 500 firms) are historically high, which is consistent with price gouging.

https://am.jpmorgan.com/us/en/asset-management/adv/insights/market-insights/guide-to-the-markets/

Okay, history high profit margins. Cool. Why is the economy contracting then?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 21, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

We don't really know exactly how much of inflation is price gouging. But, it is possible for the GDP to shrink if more money if being devoted to servicing existing costs that don't generate additional value (like paying more for existing houses or electricity) to the point that people cut back spending on other "less necessary" things and the businesses/employees who operate in the "less necessary" areas of the economy (plus the companies and suppliers that rely on them) can lose more money than the value created by the oil company getting more profits.

Even assuming a nearly perfectly efficient market, an oil company can only invest in so many oil wells, so many jobs for drillers or engineers, or so many suppliers for their materials. They can't necessarily make up the productivity, employment, or GDP of multiple ancillary businesses failing solely through their investment.
Alright, so the price gouging with more necessary items is causing people to forgo spending in certain areas that are causing those other businesses to be harmed? Thus a contraction? Are those businesses then increasing their prices so they can stay profitable from those who can afford to spend their money there? So a few companies are making record profits at the expense of the rest of the economy?

plogo posted:

Corporate profits are not the sole determinate of the aggregate size of the economy.

I would suggest taking some time to look at the income accounts that increased and decreased, that should clear things up for you.
It will not, I do not know what a income account is and I need someone to explain the implications to me.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So it's energy then? The high price of energy is going to likely force the economy to contract regardless, and other businesses can use this as sort of a "cover" to increase prices and profit while people assume that the company is just suffering, because technically the economy is contracting?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Who says the inflation is due to corporate price gouging, and why are they saying that? Is there a particular claim that you've seen that you don't think is right? What kind of arguments have they made in favor of that claim?

There have been several mainstream theories to explain the inflation, and while the "corporate price gouging" one is ideologically compelling for many people, it's hardly the only proposed explanation.
It's one I've been hearing from a left a bit and kinda brushed it off as copium, I was just watching this video that Sam Seder was hosting about it, which was a little more convincing, but the whole "it's actually price gouging" and "commerce department keeps reporting the economy is contracting" isn't making sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wde_2RH4ctM&t=8541s

Gerund posted:

Fewer products (as in the gross domestic product) being produced and consumed has nothing to do with the profits made by that elite class selling the products.
So the elite class can make profit, but keep the money and not grow, thus aiding to a contraction?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 21, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The tl;dr is:

- Price gouging is likely part of it. Nobody can mathematically calculate exactly what percentage of inflation is caused by price gouging, but price gouging isn't likely the primary cause.

- If Cup A and Cup B both have 50 gallons of water, then you have 100 gallons of water total. If you remove 20 gallons from Cup A and add 10 gallons to Cup B, then you only have 90 gallons of water total. That means you have less total water, even though Cup B increased its water by 20%.

Cup A is privately-held corporations, S-Corps, owner-operated businesses, small businesses, employee productivity and wages, international trade, discretionary spending, and "small businesses."

Cup B is publicly-held corporations.

The water is GDP.
I think I understand, or can understand now. Thank you!

But yeah, I'm going to bet I'm not the only one that is confused about this. The left lost the messaging on the inflation, unfortunately. We were doing so well with worker's rights and increasing wages. We should've made fun graphics about which companies are increasing their prices for corporate profit, maybe spread some sort of r/anticonsume meme.

I hope that the general public doesn't walk away from 2022 thinking that "Well, this is what happens when you increase wages and give hand outs."

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

These 20 people were directly told BY THE STATE that they could vote, so they did. It later turned out that they actually could not, but it’s not like that would stop DeSantis from this dumb self-own

Not a self own. This is good propaganda.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Also, y’know, now black people in Florida know that voting can be dangerous.

It’s going to be very bleak if he becomes president.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

selec posted:

Antisemetism, and in fact all bigotries, flourish regardless and oftentimes in spite of material realities.

Deciding that bad behavior drives these things is just buying into the totalizing concept of racial hierarchies.

Saying this is liked saying Kaepernick invited RBG’s comments about him, and it endorses a white supermacist worldview that minorities are being judged for what they do, and not the reality of how our racial caste system works.

Bill Cosby and Barack Obama telling young black men to pull up their pants are in fact agents of white supremacy when they say those things.

ding ding ding ding ding ding

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Normal people are hurting. GDP growth rates bear little relation to that. Hell, rent increases count towards the GDP.

the powers that b are happy at the growth, they will prolly moderately cheer about this in the news and that will trick some folk

the growth is good news. the price gouging becomes more evident to folks if the economy is “technically” doing good and we’re seeing raiding prices. that’s why I came into this thread a couple days ago asking about economics

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 28, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Twitter is a bad message board and I’m glad it’s going to die.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The economy growing is a really good thing and my confidence in the Democrats not losing completely in the midterms has increased considerably.

Unless the media is going to frame this as “yeah the economy is growing but it’s still really bad and Biden is awful and cringe.”

Between the gas prices going down and the news covering that the economy is not contracting. I think it’s going to give enough confidence in a lot of people about the perceived future of the economy that will allow them to reprioritize abortion and all around anti-fascism.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 28, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I wonder when we'll start seeing convictions against right-wing political terrorists start getting held up by the courts.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

How has twitter stayed afloat all this time? It’s always been unusable and full of nazis. There’s a thin crust of absolute psychos who post hundreds of times a day there and I can’t imagine they’d ever stop, but what would it take for twitter to finally die?
I think Twitter has been, statistically speaking, pretty left leaning in terms of volume. It’s just that there’s some bad blind spots so you get five or so garbage people ruining the world with the platform.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Bear Enthusiast posted:

What stats are you looking at?

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2019/04/24/sizing-up-twitter-users/

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Well, looks like the brown coats got the message.

A Democratic Candidate Was Beaten and Knocked Unconscious at His Home

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reminder that Elon Musk's father impregnated his step-daughter, twice.
That must be one tight dryer.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 2, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm not too concerned with what happens after twitter collapses.

I am concerned about what will happen to all that information that flowed from twitter. While I imagine anything remotely important will be remembered on a wiki somewhere, the details that existed on twitter might be lost. That sort of information erodes in time as people grow up or forget, and a new generation comes with only a story told of what happened before. Without the literal context, it gets harder to believe the past existed the way it did.

Aren't all tweets stored in the Library of Congress?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Can we please have a thread dedicated to Elon buying Twitter?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think it has mainly been going to the Tech Nightmares thread. Do you think it needs a standalone?
It's taking up a large part of this discussion in this thread, and if it's taking up a large part of the discussion in the other thread, then yeah, as dumb as we all say Twitter is it's obviously important enough to us that we really want to talk about it a whole lot.

And... y'know... The world's burning, there's many things to talk about, and the Elon discussion is pretty one note.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Please for the love of god Trump should run. Please please. Continue the disaster hurricane.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

If Trump dies from a hurricane this week that would be extremely poetic.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Zotix posted:

At least the midterms are over and indictment watch is in full effect now.
Heads up: Biden’s rhetoric has changed after the midterms to be “We need to look forwards, not backwards. We need to heal the country.”

This is the same rhetoric used when Obama stopped the Iraq War investigations on the Bush Administration.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Good news, looks like inflation may be decreasing:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/11/10/business/inflation-cpi-report

Inflation went from 8.2% annual to 7.7% annual, it was projected to go to 7.9%. So even better than expected. Wished it happened a lil’ earlier.

Not looking forward to the winter tho.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Is there a source for this quote?

In Dems Republicans in Disarray news:
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1590703319240298496
The House Freedom Caucus seeks to enshrine the unofficial policy of the House's most famous child predator unless, apparently, it conflicts with their other goal: getting to force a vote on anything that half of their membership agrees to cosponsor.

There are many flaws with the relatively recent emergence of the strong speaker structure in the House but this is the Freedom Caucus opening the (potential) speakership contest with a demand that the speaker cede most of their negotiating power off the jump and the right to force their colleagues into damaging votes on irrelevant and unpassable amendments at any time. Fuller doesn't highlight this in the tweet but don't sleep on the motion to vacate either. Been a minute since American Parliament has had the ability to table a vote of no confidence.

The reason people are talking about the potential chaos of a slim majority is this: Even if you assume that 75% Tortilla Coasters are all bark and no bite and aren't willing to let absolutely everything burn to get their way, the remaining quarter of the caucus can easily deny the votes necessary to be named speaker (or pass any bill without Dem support). If the speaker candidate does agree to the extortionate demands, he (or she?) can look forward to every military spending bill including an amendment the house must vote on to rename all the renamed confederate bases after the patriotic political prisoners of January 6. On the other hand, if the 218-217 scenario comes to pass, Newhouse and Valadao could kill all GOP-only legislation unless they're promised that only Republicans who didn't oppose impeachment are allowed in leadership. More realistically: If two whip candidates each find one ally who refuses to vote for the speaker unless their buddy is named whip, there's no speaker. The outgroup homogenity that fuels the myth of GOP uniformity is about to get a real asskicking if they do manage to scrape a house majority.

https://youtu.be/eSdukteb9k8

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

An unlisted video that has nothing to do with Biden or Politics?

Whoops one second, YouTube must’ve stuck an ad url in my clipboard

Edit: https://youtu.be/61fPzTdjhgI

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 10, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Kalli posted:

Can Biden figure out a few things he can do Executive actions on to convince Gen Z to come vote for D's again?

They can make voting more accessible, or keep it as accessible as it is.

I think learning about and utilizing early and mail in voting really helped the youth turnout.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Also: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The location is also called “Club Q”.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 20, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Can people provide sources of what is real and isn’t real about the whole Hunter laptop affair? This sounds like a situation where lefties can end up buying into some dumb conspiratorial disinformation because “Of course! America bad!”

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so some young chud got a bunch of light treatment from cops and then decided to murder a bunch of folks at gay club for whatever hosed up chud believes he thought about.

I guess the police are glad they gave him light treatment then.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In addition to what others have mentioned, this is a classic instance of that Sartre quote about fascists playing with language to make future accusations against them sound absurd and meaningless.
Yes.

Her response to the shooting was to link another LGBT event that morning. She knows who she is and what she's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yes, just framing it as a gun problem and “capitalism” problem is dismissing the bigotry.

He was making bombs too. If he didn’t have a gun, he would’ve blown them up.

It’s a nazi problem.