Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The attorney general of Texas and his wife who is a state senator are both attempting to flee the state in their white bronco in order to avoid being served a subpoena.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

VikingofRock posted:

This is great to see. The quoted activist is 100% right that we should ban turning right on red, as well, but I think that's a lot harder of a political sell for now. I'd also like to see more pedestrianized streets, more bus lanes, wider sidewalks, better protected bike lanes, less driveways on busy streets, and a hundred other little reforms to make it more pleasant to not drive everywhere. Luckily, it seems like this is becoming the Democratic consensus, with both federal and state Democrats pushing for these sorts of reforms.

No such thing as Right On Red in NYC, plus universal speed limit of 25 unless otherwise posted.

Ofc it doesn't stop everything, but it helps a lot.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

slurm posted:

Hasn't traffic enforcement in NYC basically ceased causing a full mad max environment with spiking ped deaths

No.

Year after year, pedestrian deaths have declined since the implementation of vision zero.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

It says in the memo this is the result of each base holding its own local process

drat, that's like the best possible way to do this, too.

I was involved in the renaming of a city park that was named after a slave holder and minor signatory of the declaration of independence. We got that renamed after a historic Black woman from the area, and now the park flies a pan-African flag.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Quorum posted:

I actually know a little about this as I'm connected to one of the installations that's getting renamed! They did do local panels, both on their own and with members of the DoD Naming Commission (a new thing set up by Congressional mandate to handle this stuff), and the commission collected input and feedback both from the public and the installation community, but ultimately the commission made the pick. They really wanted to name the bases after people, so sadly they didn't go with the other popular suggestion that referenced the local geography. I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised that even most of the crusty rednecks weren't too bothered by the renaming, they just talked about how much they care about the place and want it to have a name that's fitting.

I suppose that saves us from Basey McBase Face.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Re Warnock/Walker race, doesn't Walker's old girlfriend remaining anonymous seriously limit any potential impact her story could have? I mean the accusers in the Roy Moore election came public and he still almost won.

I mean, mother of one of his children isn't exactly anonymous, even if we protect her direct identity.

Have we discussed how she's come forward saying he pressured her to have a second abortion?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

So the debt forgiveness site is live, just FYI for those who qualify (if you're not sure, at the bottom of the webpage it gives you more info)

https://twitter.com/AlexSJacquez/status/1581079058003111938?s=20&t=AknUcBz0poie_LQRDRy-tg

Holy poo poo.

This is absolutely the way that services should be provided.

I got 10,000 knocked off my debt with less than a dozen questions.

One time, minimal effort, let people go on with their lives.

This form should be an example for how government service should operate: minimal input for maximum impact.

Imagine if people seeking FEMA relief or asylum could be assisted so easily.

A somewhat better world is possible.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 15, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

selec posted:

We will likely look back at these catastrophic die offs and wonder how we could be so casual about them, and the answer will be there was no money in caring, and if it doesn’t earn we don’t care. It’s another little brick on the road to the living envying the dead.

I’m sure it’s not part of a food chain outside of rich people though, probably not an issue!

Living through is 6th mass extinction really blows.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/13/almost-70-of-animal-populations-wiped-out-since-1970-report-reveals-aoe

the guardian posted:

Earth’s wildlife populations have plunged by an average of 69% in just under 50 years, according to a leading scientific assessment, as humans continue to clear forests, consume beyond the limits of the planet and pollute on an industrial scale.

From the open ocean to tropical rainforests, the abundance of birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles is in freefall, declining on average by more than two-thirds between 1970 and 2018, according to the WWF and Zoological Society of London’s (ZSL) biennial Living Planet Report. Two years ago, the figure stood at 68%, four years ago, it was at 60%.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I think that the US should help Haiti with money and food and other humanitarian care, and not anything to do with guns and troops.

My Haitian friend would disagree.

He told me that Clinton sending food aid in the form of cheap rice in the 90s was directly responsible for all the farmers going out of business, creating a nation that was no longer self sufficient.

That ship has sailed, but check your assumption that "food and other humanitarian care" is universally beneficial.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Star Man posted:

we were all entitled to have union representation no matter what

Know your rights!

https://www.nlrb.gov/about-nlrb/rights-we-protect/your-rights/weingarten-rights

Additionally, the NLRB has signaled that they're ready to move to extend Weingseted rights to non unionized employees when the right case presents itself, hopefully that happens soon.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

News just broke someone broke into Pelosi’s house in SF and beat the poo poo out of her husband so much he needed to go to the hospital

Rand Paul's neighbor again?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Do you think Bolsonaro will complain about the election being rigged soon?

The world waits with bated breath.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Are they going to make sure the office is empty before locking it, or is that how they’re going to keep their MVPs working on the new verification system over the weekend?

Curious how this vibes with Elon's NO REMOTE WORK policy.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Looks like all the abortion-ban ballot initiatives failed, thank Allah

Abortion on the Ballot https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/08/us/elections/results-abortion.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Good, now release everyone in US prison for similarly bullshit drug charges.

Federally, they already have.