Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I was really excited to go for the hollow knight platform trophy at first but Nightmare King Grimm stomped me so many times that I know the 40+ boss rush would break me.

I don't think I've ever consciously used a spell in combat because I always worry about healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

So I needed to do a full repair since the green ship item's boss is kicking my rear end but the repair was pretty far from the spawn I used. I tried quitting after making the run and doing the full repair and it put me at the closer spawn again.

So I guess there's one more method of fast travel.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

On PS5, I haven't seen any crashes or bugs either. Instant loading between rooms, too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hollow Knight chat: Holy poo poo, I just found Nosk. What a creepy buildup that was.

What sucks is that I went into his area while I had over 1000 geo elsewhere from when I died that I should have collected beforehand. At this point in my game, 1000 is still a lot for me. Goddammit. I saw a video on how to sort of cheese him but I don't have a double jump yet, so I think this is going to be painful.

You can hide at the sides of the platform and he'll walk over you

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It looks neat, but if the character flies all the time, then it's not really a platformer like I'm used to with these games, and I'm not a fan of the number of projectiles I'm seeing. The card system is certainly something. Makes me think of Lost Kingdoms. It's certainly trying some interesting things and looks very pretty, I just think that it's probably not gonna be my speed.

There's a demo if anyone's interested.

Goddamn I've wanted a re-release for the lost kingdoms games for so long.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

Afterimage received a patch that addressed a lot of the complaints around it. Might be worth taking a second look if the reviews put you off.

I saw this in the ps store, any goons that played it yet? Curious to hear more on it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, I've just had the itch for 2d metroidvania soulslikes after playing Blasphemous and Hollow Knight. Waiting for a sale is probably for the best since I've got enough games to juggle. Thank you!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I really appreciate the write ups, definitely grabbing this when I can.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

HoD was easily the worst of the advance collection when I played yeah. I had to use a guide after a certain point; turned out I was missing mechanics with the warp room, but still didn't make it any less frustrating to go through

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah that was where I got stuck, I'm pretty sure.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Like you walk into the room and don't take the warp? Never occurred to me because you're pretty much railroaded into it.

I didn't realize you could press down and warp in a different way from the first game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Sleeping dogs is pretty great for combat. You explore the world opening up new combat moves as you discover certain items and turn them in. The exploration is maybe not as good as most metroidvanias as the world opens up pretty quickly and you don't get many new traversal options

Wait, what

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Owl Inspector posted:

Afterimage contains 20 hours of good content. it is 40 hours long.

Where is the 20 hours? Front-loaded or end-game?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Oh yeah, now I remember wishlisting Afterimage after reading that post months ago but there were a lot of games that came out and it blurred away. I'm fine to keep waiting for a deep sale, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Fatty posted:

Not a Metroidvania, but there was a lot of praise for Aeterna Noctis earlier in the thread. I guess they went and made a Roguelite version.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1815230/Summum_Aeterna/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960650/movie480_vp9.webm

Will give it a try and report back if anyone's interested.

Please do.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tortolia posted:

Ghost Song is So Metroid It Hurts but it has its design flaws for sure.

I grabbed it on release on ps5 and I really vibed with it until my second or third time taking a part back to the ship (or whatever the end goal was, it's been a very long time). Great atmosphere and soundtrack.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

With all the Blasphemous 2 hype lately, I decided to finally play the original game since I never picked it up. Did I imagine hype and critical acclaim for this? I'm trudging through it but this game is a bit rough even for a "git gud" soulslike.

I was near the final area when I realized I hadn't enjoyed it at all.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

sudonim posted:

I'm a big fan of the Bloodstained traversal ability that turns the whole world upside so the ceiling becomes the floor

What the hell, I gotta play this

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I finally played bloodstained over the last couple days, and I don't gave any complaints. I'm not going for 100% because that item list is daunting (and I sold most of my inventory before OD just in case lmao). I liked how many viable options for builds there were, and how it rewarded creativity; using standstill to beat that Harrier dude was a nice way to finish the compendium.

Also the coolest "fly" mechanic I've seen in a metroidvania

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It's on ps5 too, apparently they're making a deck building 'rogue light' too.

I just grabbed Sandrock so I'm not looking to buy anything atm but I'd love to hear impressions.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Y'all are doing a lot of work tempting me to finally buy afterimage right after it's psn sale finished

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Story and dialogue isn't a priority for these kinds of games with me so that's not gonna bug me. I'm gonna pull the trigger next time it's on sale for sure.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Afterimage is a strange beast. I find the "collision damage + foreground hiding enemies" a bit cheap, the apparent lack of a proofreader put me off from giving a poo poo about background info ans the skill tree is overwhelming.

On the other, game does feel and look great to move and fight in once I got used to it and it's nice having bosses that I've gotta learn patterns for after how easy bloodstained was.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Fuzz posted:

You get a few respecs, so just gently caress aound until you find the weapons you like. I personally like all the stuff in the right hand trees, the dual blades are great and the whip combos well with them to give you a solid range option. The Scythe is also ridiculously good.

Elemental damage s stupid and pointless, don't bother. Get dat crit. Health and Mana regen are in the top left and should be grabbed asap.

I'm going into the endgame on it currently, though apparently the game has like 8 different endings you need to unlock via quests and stuff, and NG+ is a completely different mode. Seems to have taken notes from Nier on that front, which is kinda cool.

Yeah, most of my points have gone in the right side so far, will keep an eye out for the regens. I always gravitate towards scythes in games and this one hasn't disappointed me at all. I've got the whip as secondary and that aerial AOE is so useful for clearing enemies on ledges above you.

I didn't know NG+ changed a lot, looking forward to that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Owl Inspector posted:

Most of the AI has no real answer to the scythe throw and it trivializes all but a few bosses.

I'm gonna try not to abuse that, I like how tense the boss fights have been but this game can be rude enough that I wouldn't feel bad about it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

One thing I really like is that you get full HP/MP recovery when you finish off a boss fight or ambush room, because I almost always have very low health by the end of both.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

So I'm probably lost in Afterimage; right now the only two options I've found to go forward have a boss that feels way overleveled for me (First Knight?) and the Pyro Fields feels even more overleveled but at least I beat the Ram there no problem. Is there another place I'm missing?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I did not! And I meant the Canyon, not the field of Pyro.

bawk posted:

I'm not sure exactly when it comes up but you will also, at some point, get a key for a door in the Field of Geo? The one in the top left.

I totally forgot about that key because I put the game down after getting it, thank you.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, definitely go up there, you'll get a major upgrade. There's actually two doors in Field of Geo you should be able to open now... both of them lead to places that are cool and good.

Great to know; I don't know much I've got left to go in this playthrough but I really like this game so far. It's massive but I don't find it overwhelming and getting around feels great after the double jump.

So I assume you get put back into the main game after getting an ending and you can keep getting the others?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I've been struggling with Loss, the Broken Wings as the only boss I can find to progress and somehow it's easily the hardest fight for me, even including the Albedo Tower and Goliathfall bosses which I was underleveled for.

And then I found out/remembered I've been on Advanced all this time. Waaaay less punishing on Normal, good god.

Anyway I still only have three of those healing glyphs and every video I've seen of that boss fight has people with at least seven; where do I find those things?

E: Took two more tries after the 20+ before this, lmao. I feel kinda dirty but having the triple jump is nice.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 18, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Fuzz posted:

They're hidden around, I had 5 by the time I got to the lower part of the Columns. There's one hidden in the Town of Exile, another in the Forest Foregone, and another in the Field of Pyro, off the top of my head. I managed to find all of them to the point where it unlocked the special ending for the bottom of the Pyro area.

I managed to find four in the past hour and a half; I forgot about the warp in Whispering Forest and I've done pretty much everything else I can find so I've been ripping bosses apart and now I'm only missing one core afterimage.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was thinking about going for 100% in afterimage but I got Se's Treasurescope and why the hell does it trigger around chests you already opened?

E: Never mind, I think I just had it going through a lot of walls at first, hahaha

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 22, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

For anyone who enjoyed Dead Cells, I'd recommend checking out Trinity Fusion. It cribs some stuff I really liked from other roguelites like Hades (plenty of boons, macroprogression similar to Hades' Darkness Mirror) and Returnal (power level, mostly), and I really like games where I go 'just one more run'. Maybe my opinion here is colored by Afterimage but the writing, VA and story seem pretty good so far.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Wait, this is a 2D platformer where you can't use the D-Pad for movement? You have to use the analog stick like some sort of barbarian? :yikes:

That's how I play all my metroidvanias

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah I used chest markers as a shorthand for "need traversal upgrade" but more specific markers would be nice. You do eventually get a little treasure magnet and a treasure percentage for each area which made things a lot easier though.

I do agree with your other points. The shoddy translation doesn't help. I chuckled when they had Golden Crow and Golden Ciaw or something like it in the same box.

I just had too much fun with the game for it to bog me down in the end.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

lih posted:

hollow knight is unfortunately quite an outlier in terms of how open it is yeah

I'd say Afterimage is just as if not more open

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

lih posted:

afterimage is like if hollow knight was a castlevania, or maybe the other way around. it is very big and open and the exploration is excellent, but the plot is very difficult to follow, the combat is generally a pushover (but feels fine, it's quite castlevania-y or maybe megaman zero-ish?) and has very superfluous rpg elements. it also gets pretty inscrutable about what you actually need to do in the endgame.

i definitely recommend it as long as you're fine with the combat not being deep or challenging

For what it's worth, the "normal" difficulty listed was added after release, the original difficulty is "hard" or whatever's listed. I had to switch to normal near the end but it turned out I'd missed a few areas on the way so it might not have been as bad.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

The Difficult and Souls-Like tags on Steam keep me away from Hollow Knight.

It's really only a souls-like in that it requires some patience between attacks and you gotta get your gold back from your bloodstain (by fighting it). I wouldn't call it hard outside of the DLC.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Item Getter posted:

What other games in this genre really excel at atmosphere and cool moody exploration like Hollow Knight? Like the feeling of getting lost in a huge and weird world. Ideally ones which are a bit open/non-linear.

I'm not sure how much it could be called weird, but I really enjoyed my time with Afterimage. Biggest map I've seen and there's almost always more than one area to explore. I found a couple mid-level areas that I completely missed when I was doing end-game stuff, and it's (to me) gorgeous and fun to traverse after a couple movement upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I really love the ambience and art style but I've definitely felt more sucked in by other metroidvanias. THere have been some really fun puzzles to solve so far, at least. I kinda wish I'd put this money towards PS Extra so I could at least play some other games for 'free' on top of this one being on there, but then again the dev team does deserve it.