Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow I didn't realize they were ditching 2 CP maps, ; glad I reinstalled this week and played a last couple Hanamura games; it may not be well designed but it'll always be a beautiful map that evokes the visual aesthetic of Overwatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone who played in the beta speak to what it's like being the sole tank if you were previously the off tank? Say, RoadHog and Wrecking Ball?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding PvE I really hope the success of Destiny has convinced Blizzard to basically try again with Titan, because what I really want from PvE is actually custom characters and an open world. Yes, that's extremely different from Overwatch and I'm basically hoping for an entirely different game. Still, Destiny with OW aesthetic and design is one of the few things modern Blizzard could do that would be genuinely compelling.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, I could have just pretended this never happened, but I'm going to come clean.

I just "caved in" and went to add SMS authentication to my bnet account...

My phone number is already there. I must have added it years ago without a second thought. I'm a fuckin' idiot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's just me being salty but I really don't like Orisa planting her feet and stopping a rein charge. Yeah I saw the cinema, yeah I should know it's going to happen, but damnit hockey slamming the other tank into a nearby wall is like 90% of my initiation.

Is that still in 2? I heard she had a spear but I thought it replaced the barrier?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I recommend not charging in so often. you're your team's only big boy now: don't leave them in the dust!

Perhaps I Was given two fire strikes for a reason..

Also, is Brigitte buffed by context now that barriers are harder to come by? While 250 hp can't stand up to any amount of choke point spam but it'll help with the Widowmaker plinking someone mentioned.

Edit - I guess they disallowed prepaid because a hacker or griefer could use a burner phone but holy poo poo just work on those edge cases manually or something and don't make people feel too poor to play a game.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 5, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

spunkshui posted:

One of brigs biggest weakness was not having any way to heal herself without taking a risk.

She now not only gets free healing while taking cover.

Also she keeps the new passive self healing going even if her shield takes hits.

Yes, I was thinking about that, too. Pretty excited to try it myself, this weekend probably.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

Maybe I'm just a big brained genius but the new robot pushing mode isn't that complicated. Why do I see so many people treating it like they're asking you to do calculus while skydiving.

TF2 had a mode where both teams push a cart in opposite directions didn't they? Or was it two carts on two tracks?

Also hasn't a tank always been a "better fighter" than most DPSs barring things like Reaper the Tank Killer? The DPS thing isn't actually raw brawling ability it's mobility, right?

Like, most DPS aren't happy facing most tanks in anything like a one on one fight, right? Am I just completely off base on that?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The fully charged beam is no longer a chainsaw?

Edit - to be clear I don't necessarily mean "in OW2", I fell off of OW1 so I may have lots of out of date character impressions.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sucks. Maybe I'll main Rein in this version of OW.

Rein, Brig...is there a barrier DPS?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Let tank fill up, there's a lot of neat DPS characters I'm looking forward to flexing into.

First stop: Mechaqueen Pharah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I thought we had to play X games before ranked but I was queuing for it last night. Is that for new accounts or what?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The game feels chaotic with super fast TTK, but I'm 100% sure that's just a "me" problem because I've been away and am bad.

I'm having a hard time not feeling vulnerable as Brig. Multiple times Junker Queen would initiate at half health when I was full, I'd land both my abilities on her and all my melees, and I'd still die. I'm not saying it's wrong, like yeah duh don't 1v1 even a wounded tank as a support, but I'm sort of getting a feel for how it works and where the boundaries are.

Still, I think there's kind of a funny thing with Brig, where lots of tanks are much more dangerous up close, and that's exactly where Brig needs to be. In later rounds I'd just zone them out with repeated chain shots and play thay stand off distance and it seemed to work well, but man I evaporated the second a general melee breaks out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Trying to spin back up my thoroughly mediocre gold-tier comp brain:

Where should I be, generally speaking, as Brig? Just behind the tank, trying to land whip shots? Further back and positioned at the mouth of a flank route so that I'm still with the team but I'll be the first person a flank dps encounters? Somewhere else? Do I want to wait near corners and surprise enemies?

Is a DPS that ends up in melee with Brig in trouble, or is the Brig in trouble? If it varies bases on the hero, what are some good and match ups.

Should I start a fight with charge + whip? Or charge, melee, whip to finish? Something else?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arzachel posted:

There are two wolves in Brigitte's heart. One wants to be cozy with their friends, one just wants to go apeshit.

Yeah I'll be honest I WANT to play like a baby rhine and it's got a real scrappy do dynamic where I land my charge, swing my hammer twice, and then die because lmao I'm not rhine.

I feel like the reality of the mechanics are a bit at odds with how the character is presented.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I Simpsons read that as:

"Absolutely, not being able to kill the giga tank...". Glad to do a double take, I'm honestly looking forward to tank hunting when I get into DPS.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah hooking is working very well for me personally, at lower skill levels.

Also, I feel like very few tanks want to go toe to toe with Roadhog? Although this is somewhat mitigated by the frustrating decision to make such small tanks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's no magic in overwatch in the sense that everything, even the huge summoned wolf and the unkillable revenant that never runs out of shotguns, is all "science", usually the aforementioned hard light and nano machines.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Just hide chat and mute voice. Makes the game infinitely more enjoyable, and you'll smile knowing anyone malding at you if you're not playing well or won't swap are just shouting into the abyss.

Yeah turn off voice chat in the options (persists), and shift ctrl C every time the client starts. Put on an album/playlist.

If you do this every time you play you're not even throwing because you'll just end up where you end up, in terms of ranked play.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was playing him in death match and:

1) he seemed to be able to 1v1 any other character up close
2) his shadow glide thingy comes off cooldown very quickly and is great for getting close, escaping, snd even just gaining a little advantage mid fight

I may have just been in a scrub tier death match but he seemed good to me, with the caveat that you needed to arrive within shotgun range fully healed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I miss the chill overwatch meimei thread. Is it archived?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What the hell is mitigate, damage done to your barrier and other such?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bronze 3 baby, no team cheat metallica playlist Brigitte is moving up in the world.

I got caught by three junk rat tires in a row as Brig, when I was trying to put my shield between each time. I don't know if maybe:

1) I'm not snapping my shield to the right spot fast enough server-side?
2) It's exploding on my little feeties or my noggin or something? Just going around the shield?
3) It's killing me in spite of the shield because the damage bleeds through?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I do wish it would automatically heal if injured and and damage boost if not. Come on I'm not playing mercy to beam think, I want to relive my medic days, crouched around a corner.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

Don't get me wrong ranked deathwatch is fun

So, you're not a fan of ranked role? Could you say a little more about that? I'd be curious to hear what you think because I've seen you have some pretty insightful takes on Apex and I'm personally uncertain on Overwatch right now, I can't tell if I'm just very rusty can't process gameplay or if it's actually a big sloppy mess.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

A few hours a day is pretty regular. Casual is that over a few days. Battle passes that expire are not casual friendly and it stinks. I'll complain about that expiration crap until I'm blue in the face forever because it's just bad.

:respek:

I know all video games are simultaneously both pointless and inarguably meaningful because they're recreational and all that matters is that you enjoy it, but the grind on the battle pass is killing me because I play two hours a day on the weekend and not all during the week.

The thing that a more traditional "currency" system can do is let someone like me pick and choose a few things to unlock instead of being now, currently, level 10, and that's after a three day weekend. If the levels are linear I'll probably only be level 15 next week.

Whereas, if I'd played several hours of OW1 I'd probably have the thousand gold I'd have needed to buy the One Skin I Want Most, and not, what, a winston skin I don't even like? It's frustrating.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been playing Brig almost exclusively since launch, but I've ALSO just now started trying the other heroes because Brig can feel like you're ice-skating up hill compared to other supports.

Chain Shot
You do NOT want to be in melee range unless the fight is heavily in your sides favor or you're confident someone else on your team will be drawing attention.

Instead, you want to be landing that chain shot every time it's off cooldown, this is your main mechanical challenge. It's easiest if you position yourself where you can reach a busy choke and/or the enemy tank, even if that means stepping into a slightly more dangerous position just while launching the shot.

Health Pack
Brigs pack healing has great range and ease of use, but it's exhausted quickly. Use the health packs to heal distant targets, or tanks taking active fire, or critical teammates, or an injured support. However, try not to use your third and final pack except to save critical team mates - you'll always have more opportunities than packs, and you don't want to be caught being the only one that could save a critical team mate but you were overly liberal a few seconds earlier in less critical situations.

Charge
Charge is mainly a positioning tool. I primarily use it to quickly change los - you're not going to out run a genji but you can escape a rein, or dodge a long range opponent, or force los on a distant teammate you otherwise can't see to heal.

Barrier
Brigs barrier won't stand up to anything like sustained damage, but it's useful for three things:

Stopping high damage single hits like deadeye, or hogs hook.

"Distracting" bad DPS who might waste a couple seconds of a team fight shooting it. Let them deal one or two hundred damage to it (don't let them break it), then use the charge to break los. That was a second or two of a team fight that DPS wasn't doing much, especially if you'd already gained your aura from a chain shot.

Doubling your own hp when you need it, like you just need another second for your cool downs, or a team mate to arrive, or you're passing through a dangerous los.

Tactics
Brig is best when she's keeping her healing up with her chain shot, staying with the team so her aura hits them. She's very good at frustrating enemy positioning - she can counter rein and hog very well. Keep them away with chain shot, block the hook, counter the charge with your own charge - you'll both be knocked down but presumably you're both lying in the middle of your team, you'll live, he won't.

What Brig is worst at, and it's getting to the point that I don't want to play her, is she can't kill anyone in anything like a fair fight. Her primary attack just does so very, very little damage. She's relatively tough, for a support, but she'll be ground down in a 1v1 by literally anyone else. Way too many times as Brig I would get the drop on an enemy DPS and still lose the resulting fight - her damage just isn't there. When I switch to any other support it's a night and day difference in my ability to actually kill someone.

I like her aesthetic, her mechanics, the support tank hybrid, but I'm really on the fence because it seems like you have to position yourself properly and hit all three of your cooldowns just to keep the enemy tank out of position and keep your own side alive, while you wait for the team fight to break in your favor. It feels like that same amount of execution (being in the right spot, landing most of your kit) would lead to much more impact as any other support.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 12, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've just seen so many death cams where a half health DPS isn't even looking at me, I melee them twice as brig, they don't die and then they finally receive support from a healer and then they turn and kill me. If I'd been literally any other character in the game they'd be dead?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had been standing in front of ranged DPS but I wasn't sure if maybe I was just getting in their way, glad to hear it's legit, I'll get back to doing it.

What's the recommended order of operation for Brig in an actual fight? Charge melee whip? But no, you say swing bash whip, because of the knock back?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is every fight where I'm hitting the enemy over and over and I'm watching their health bar with increasing worry. I always initiate with a charge and thwn have no escape. I'll practice it this was in the future, nice.

As Brig, my melee feels like this scout:

https://youtu.be/DfizLF4-Pdo

She's very good at staying alive though, and like a tank she has an odd ability to control space.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What is this supposed no gun team build?? Is it one tank two dps teo support?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean I guess, I feel like Genji and Hanzo "don't count" because when I think of a melee character I think of "someone else has to deal with that pharah in the sky, that widow at extreme range, or that anyone on the high ground, because I literally physically can't".

I don't actually think there's any Melee DPS currently :hmm:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gotta be honest it's a sick skin. I'll probably never ever unlock it :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like they could make a new Egypt map and just be like "oh look, a ton of assets to drag and drop"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah TF2 had much more complex interactions between classes because there was only 9, and with 12 players you could pretty much assume there was always one of each on the team. Overwatch can't really do that because, even at launch in OW1, there's a lot more heroes left on the bench than in a game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dogstile, your melee + charge + whip combo as Brig is money; I went from struggling to win any fight to placing in death matches; in ranked it's made me much more capable of repelling divers. Since I already spent so long playing, as someone else put it, coward Brig, it's put me in a place where I play very conservatively but then have some genuine ability to fight when it calls for it.

Lucio and Genji both seemed particularly vulnerable if they strayed close to me? Because if the charge lands, you're making it hard for them to juke the chain.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

if you've ever played a recent fps with massively overtuned aim assist, you know they've made the right call

The videos I've seen of Apex suggest console players are better at close quarters fragging then PC and the Quake player inside of me howls in rage at the thought.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

call of duty, apex, and the latest halo all have a system where the aim assist instantly tracks changes in direction with zero input from the aim stick lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufw8bnIfG7E&t=28s

i was worried cross-input roller was going to be forced b/c this is a blizz-activision game but it looks like mouse players are safe for now...

Fuckin disgusting. I had thought aim asist was, like, a larger hit box area where the reticle snaps to.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How do you feel about Roadhog, who can also delete lots of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like it was never hard to hook people; I'm not some super gamer but it always had a big hit box and generous client side detection, now there's just less barriers.