Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Wait wait did the unlock bug comeback because they tried to lock out Torb and Bastion and accidentally set the other heroes too, just come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Dick Jones posted:

I don't understand the uproar over the phone thing. I'm trying to picture someone who has the money for a gaming PC or a console with XBL/PSN subscription on top of monthly broadband internet, but no phone? Seems like the phone ought to be the first thing on the priority list.

It's more the obviously selling the info to X organization (usually ad companies) for money that always happens with this kind of info. I've given up but some people still try not to do stuff like that. Like at least if you sell my info give me a cut assholes.

DrBox posted:

I think the issue was how the FCC was classifying certain carriers, so popular pay as you go options like Cricket were denied. They could easily provide an alternative for people with "burner phones" like submitting ID or something.

It's odd that they didn't do this and honestly gets to one of the core issues of the non gameplay parts of OW2.

Everything from the battlepass to the shop prices to the MMR system seems like it was just placeholder stuff that got pushed out because they had to get new content out as fast as possible (shareholders?) and they keep the battlepass stuff to try and milk whales before they realize it's not selling well after like 3 months and drop all the prices,

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 14, 2022

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

evilmiera posted:

My main problem with the heroes is nothing at all to do with how they play, but how they all feel like soulless shells as characters. Like whoever wrote them either didn't understand how people act or were kept to very harsh limits on what they could express and do so as not to offend anyone, ever.

Which I realize is probably completely ignored by 99 percent of players who just want to capture points and shoot stuff. But even TF2 had distinct and funny characters with memorable scenes way beyond a game like this with a bigger budget and greater need to compete.

They barely progress the lore and they keep resetting the lore and unlike league of legends the just don't have a ton of characters so you can't just at least find a hero that you just like their baseline personality gimmick.

And Blizzard just does worse than fan stuff story wise anyways . Gremlin streamer Dva with actual combat experience was way better than. Oh I'm a newbie and have never seen combat despite fighting a giant omnic and it's minions near daily.

And literally no one like Genji/Mercy please please stop trying to push it. Mercy with literally anyone other than the character Mercy mains hate with the fury of a thousand suns. (It's Sylvanas and Nathanlos all over again I swear)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's really hard to identify and improve your own play if you blame every loss on someone else.

Right you can't control what other people do but you can control what you do. Also I have never seen flaming do anything other than piss someone off in every game I've ever played and personally it's way more likely to make the person throw on purpose out of spite.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Sym and Bastion changes seem cool.

Those sojourn changes though sound more like a buff than a nerf TBH. She does more primary fire damage, and she shoots her railgun off way more often. It can't 1HKO full health targets inherently anymore, but what happens against discorded targets or with a mercy?

Don't even know what to say about the doom changes. If a hero is weak, you give them a slight buff and see if it makes a difference. Rinse, repeat. They decided to buff pretty much EVERYTHING in Doom's kit for some reason, from damage done, to ability uptime, to utility, to survivability. Someone is ACTUALLY smoking crack down at the Blizzard offices. The hero wasn't even that bad; it was typically more playable than Sym and even JQ (who got the proper nerf she needed, but none of the buffs she also needed?) in S1.

The best part is some pro players got this patch early so they definitely know and still went through with it. Also lol at JQ getting a larger hitbox and basically nothing else.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

whalestory posted:

Is he really that chill? I remember catching some youtube videos from his where he spectates bronze players and he just seems like a mean rear end in a top hat yelling at this monitor

Is he just a content creator for sf shock or something like that?

The players usually submit those themselves so it's not that vibe at all.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're kinda hosed there because they have a shitload of different game modes and a clearly insufficient playerbase to actually have fast matchmaking so they have to compromise on something to keep it from taking 10 minutes to fill a lobby.

I'll never understand why the compromise is mmr range when they could just... not have 16 different game modes

People will leave straight up, making people do ranked, unranked, and like 2 rotating gamemodes is how you get League of Legends current situation in the toxicity department

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is literally the first time ever I've seen someone suggest that # of game modes determines how toxic a game is

That's not what I was saying you need stuff for people to do to just screw around and like League OW2 isn't putting out actual content so you end up having to play with people who are try harding even in unranked because they want to play but not lose ranked points.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Issaries posted:

It is a good poo poo post article.
He has gotten '240' coins by playing since launch, which is less than quarter available. Getting first tier of weeklies every other week? :pathetic:
Yeah, but Microsoft points are easier coins to collect.

God forbid you play any other games or do anything else with your already free time than play Overwatch(not knocking you here,it's an obvious design choice by Blizzard is what I'm saying).

Honestly it'd be kind of possible if Blizzard cared about the lore in any of the games they make anymore.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

....wtf? Is it banned?

No but Blizzard backed out of the deal they had with this one company before they found another one so oops can't sell anything in China right now.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I'm hoping when they look at Brig they just do a full support rework because man is support not named Ana unfun to play right now.

Also I'm expecting Mercy to get a rework too she has almost as many changes as Brig and Hog

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

The problem is ALL of the heroes need reworks as 5v5 changed way more than they thought.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it’s probably support players giving up and playing something else or queueing for a different role, since queue times for everyone else are still pretty awful

Support sucks so much to play, hey if you screw up enjoy being basically useless until your cooldowns are up but it's fine since your ultimate is the most busted thing in the game*

Makes every other player hate you for maining them and gets your abilities nerfed instead of you know not making the ult like that

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

It started life as a more casual game that blizzard have retroactively tried to make an eSport and they have shown they are not good at game or meta balance. You're just setting yourself up for an incredibly frustrating time.

Remember when we had different groups running comp Overwatch but Blizzard didn't want anything but sole control and then proceeded to do basically nothing with OWL.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

The guy in charge of the studio might have said some things to the QA staff.

I swear they're trying to tank the company on purpose

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Runa posted:

I actually was interested in the PvE lmao

Same. I kinda like the characters but lmao they are never advancing this story.

People are waaaaay madder than I expected too a lot of people were excited

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 16, 2023

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Runa posted:

"nobody even cares about the PvE campaign mode" (cancels mode)

every single casual and character fan who was holding out hope is now typing...

#1 trending on Twitter baby!

PantsBandit posted:

OW has almost no good writing. The only "story" element they've ever had going for them is likable characters.

What writing? They retconed everything that wasn't Overwatch is going to reunite. Casuals about to leave in droves

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Lots of sour grapes coming from inside the thread lol.

A big reason why people clung onto the OW 1->2 transition in the first place was for the expected PvE content and that PvP was just to bide players' time until then.

Considering this is the same company behind Diablo Immortal, Warcraft 3 Reforged, one of the industry's most exploitative battle passes and in-game shops in the form of OW2 (a Trojan horse as another poster aptly commented), etc it's hard for me to imagine how anyone still has any trust or faith in what Blizzard does anymore besides being a cynical and soulless cash grab con artist.

I just looked at it as this is literal self preservation for OW2 but I guess being bought by Mircosoft eliminates that part of the equation

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

imagine dungeons posted:

Pretty sure once Kaplan left there was no intention on really finishing PvE and everyone just lied a bunch.

They didn't make ANY content for like 2 years supposedly for this.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Vermain posted:

entirely believable, especially since diablo's one of their few remaining properties with the cultural cache necessary to be a breakout hit if they stick the landing

If they get bought by Mircosoft and Diablo IV flops there is a non zero chance Blizzard as an corporate entity is done.

The last Warcraft expansion was just good which doesn't make up for the 2 worst expansions before that one, Starcraft is dead, and CoD could absolutely just be it's on own company.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

petition for anyone who unprompted brings up rule 34 in the overwatch thread to be thrown into the ocean

Hey honestly they were only people producing content for this game for like two years.

dogstile posted:

Success doesn't mean good. WoW still has like 2 mil subscribers :v:

That's just sunk cost fallacy though

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Javik the Seer posted:

There are so many balance and design decisions that I am just at a loss for some of them. A lot are probably my partiality towards or against certain characters, but its crazy that some of these things haven't been done yet.

Why do you start defenders at the far spawn in these cart push maps? What benefit is there to having someone who picks their hero late be super duper far away? Just have them spawn on the first point for defenders and they can spawn further back when they die? A lot of games have had their whole dynamic changed because a tank didn't decide fast enough and now they gotta hustle across the whole map when they could just spawn at the first point and be done. Once the game starts, THEN open up the far spawn. Just a pitfall they create to push players into and it makes no sense.

Why does push mode exist? Why can't players decide which map types they would like to play? Why are so many stats so opaque and hidden from the players? We know they have the data like heat maps and mitigation stats, why hide that stuff?

Going invulnerable should be a huge deal but Blizz's response to any kind of balance challenge anymore is to just "meh, make em immoral/invulnerable/ethereal" instead of mitigation or movement stuff. The amount of just negation that can be done is one o the things that makes the game a bit unfun a lot of times. Their whole philosophy was "favor the shooter" when the game first came out, but they hid the massive asterisks of "unless they use any number of literal get out of jail free abilities we have implemented". Particularly egregious is how long suzu lasts on the invuln, as well as immortality field and moira's dash that can literally traverse vertically an entire flight of stairs without stairs. Just silly stuff.

Snippers have never been fun to play against since they were a thing in like 1994. Since then balancing against them has been a struggle with, in my view, the best iteration being TF2. Immobile, have to hold it down, your reticle is counterable, and there are a bunch of tools to mess with a snipers ability to just delete folks. A high skill player will still have fun, but opponents have plenty of alternatives to deal with them. You see other methods to reign them in with varying degrees of success like in CS:GO making the AWP expensive and restrictive, in Apex they are very rare and have bullet drop, small clip, high reload etc.
What did Blizz do? Lets give her literally zero recoil, allow her to fly into the air to silently change their angle, give her wall hacks (without enemy notification on top of that!) as an ultimate, and give her nearly unlimited range with almost zero counter play from that distance. I just do not understand how they thought this would be fun and the inclusion of this character has likely made other design decisions suffer. Snippers have always been fun to play AS but never to play AGAINST and forcing that type of character into the game was just boneheaded and this change to Widow should have been this way from the get go. Her entire kit should be reworked.

It reminds of how Cassidy (then McCree) could Fan the Hammer and delete literally every character from the game, including tanks, from like 50 meters away, and they had to reduce his damage and falloff. Its like...did you guys even play test this before release? Also in relation to that, how did they think an auto aiming, 10 meter away, ONE HUNDRED THIRTY DAMAGE GRENADE would be a balance improvement over a flashbang? That is basically awarding two free shots to a Cassidy by virtue of pressing the tactical button. I've seen that thing go around corners, just ridiculous stuff.

I know the game isn't going to be perfect and its not always going to be balanced in a way EVERYONE likes. There just seems to be this very intentional..i dunno, ignoring, maybe? Of serious quality of life and balance aspects of the game that a company like Blizz should really know better how to handle. It makes me sad because the characters and world are really cool and they have just drove it directly into the ground due to their greed and mismanagement.

The issue like most things with Overwatch is Blizzard fumbled the bag and took too long from launch and in the meantime Riot dropped Valorant which is the direction OW should've gone (on top of Riot poaching their people by paying more than the lowest wages)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Valorant and OW are completely different genres, not sure what you mean by 'the direction OW should've gone'. In terms of what?

In terms of what it seems like Blizzard is aiming for with their balance

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

I'm convinced people do not have their headphones on because like ... you can *hear* a sombra opening up on your backline, and you can *hear* the reaper teleporting into place and you can *hear* cassidy clomping about for a high noon flank and most of them simply do not react

People notably play stuff like Apex and OW with podcasts and stuff so no their volume is probably low ,if not off.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

drat Mircosoft is fast

https://twitter.com/Steam/status/1681722033162584064

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Completely unrelated news.

I thought it was more this

https://twitter.com/esports/status/1681648061368397824

RIP Overwatch League, you completely destroyed local competitive OW groups and then proceeded to do nothing with it

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I remember when they first announced the OWL (and muscled all the smaller local groups out) and everyone here was in agreement that they'd kill it like they did Starcraft

edit: Holy hell they didn't tell them

https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1681701774200299520

https://twitter.com/_mlktea/status/1681706819310473216

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 19, 2023

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

They could've just made it her mom as the one who trained with them but they already said it was Kiriko specifically lol

Endorph posted:

i like that pharah and mercy are a couple people like so they went 'uhh yeah they're totally the same age' even though it makes no sense

It's a 5 year gap instead of a 7 year one I have no idea why they changed it. As if you're worrying about people calling Mercy a groomer it still applies.

Then again Mercy's age has always been in flux so what else is new

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 9, 2023

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

All of his excuses are "we are so loving stupid, just.. just complete loving morons"

Like sure my dude, you didn't think Mythic skins having less and less customisation options would be a problem. Your entire team has brains as smooth as marble. That's definitely it.

You see this same kinda thing with League where instead of the honest answer with corporate wanting more money they would just rather treat themselves and you like utter idiots

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750527609312817361

1900 people out from Mircosoft-Act Blizz like 3 days after Riot laid off 11% of it's workforce.

This year is going to be a bloodbath......sigh

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750531413823332651

Again just like with Riot

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750543289227284649

I hate this industry

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705709667180594

Uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705726071185911

hmmmmm

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705735055335427

just wow beginning to think Blizzard might be trash

https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705720991818214
https://twitter.com/NotSoLittleC/status/1755705741845926073

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Man Diablo is mid at best, Overwatch is speed running to maintenance mode, WoW classic is about to hit the expansions people are divided on,and regular WoW is running on fumes.

They really are just nuking all the old Blizzard stuff & going all in on CoD huh?

Man I so sad about WoW & Overwatch man, they just are dying the worst slow painful deaths.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Now that story is basically dead I can say this:

Literally every fan interpretation of Dva has been better than what we got because they aren't concerned with appealing to literally everyone so it isn't painfully generic.

Same goes for Mercy

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

literally every fan interpretation of everyone is better because theres anything there at all

Got me there lol

Me realizing that Tracer has more chemistry with Widowmaker than her actual girlfriend because she's actually allowed to talk to about Widowmaker

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Relyssa posted:

gremlin dva is the best thing to come out of this terrible game

She will outlive it ,just like she did Starcraft ,the gremlin is eternal

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Runa posted:

It's very funny to me that they had a lead writer, Michael Chu. And, bless his heart, pretty much the only thing people remember him actually doing was shooting down all of the weird fan theories which, while they were admittedly pretty weird, were also like ten times as interesting as the story that they actually got.

Like there was a hot minute where people thought Mercy might've been a secret mad scientist, through some overly generous reads on some pre-battle chatter, and he pretty much just said no, that's silly. And all of the interesting theory stuff was instead shunted off onto a new character, Moira.

Which is a shame, because it would've been better if there were two mad scientists but Blizzard had too much basic bitch energy to realize this.

Reaper : You tell me doc
Mike: Nah there's nothing to that

comedyblissoption posted:

all the characters in overwatch are canonically gay, including bob

Dva is going to be very sad,wait is Dva the only actual confirmed person attracted to the robots? You'd think that be more common.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Dick Jones posted:

She'd lose damage boost though. And bolts from her staff aren't as funny as zipping around shooting and pistol-whipping people.

Damaeboost has been really problematic design wise and all the Mercy mains like her movement wayyyy more than damage boost. No one would complain