Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I have a positive winrate with my three most commonly played characters, yet I've been stuck at Bronze 5 for 3 seasons every since a rank reset dropped me from Silver. I really, really don't understand this system.

Also, yeah, I have a terrible experience with matchmaking. A lot of people claim it is fine for them, but I almost never have an even, close match.

Bronze is the biggest division of players, at the bottom of the bell curve and brozne 5 is the worst. It covers 0-1100, where as bronze 4-1 is divided between 1100 and 1499, so if you were truly at the bottom of bronze 5 (0) it will take some moderate effort to climb out.

Each time you do rank up, it should give you a % of players that you are better than, higher is better and more likely you're going to rank out of bronze 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The post season reset a couple seasons ago dropped me from silver 3~1 to bronze 5 where I have been stuck for several seasons. I certainly am bad at this game, but as I said I have a positive winrate with my 3 most played characters so I don't understand how I could be stuck for so long when I was mid-high silver before.

Have you played/ranked much since S4 started? You should be moving closer to your true MMR in each game, but if you haven't played a ton in S4, you're not at your true MMR yet, and may be in a weird spot due to resets/decay that is now gone.

Alfalfa posted:

I had to stop comp when it said “you progress with 5 wins or 15 losses” when I was silver 2 and had 4 wins and 9 losses. Won my 5th and was excited to get so close to gold and it loving said congrats. You’re now Silver 4… was like wtf I’m done.

You played 14 games, and lost 2/3rds of them, and you were surprised you ranked down? I'm not sure why you thought you were going to go up.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I guess bronze 5 is my true MMR then. I've played ~60 hours in S4. I still don't understand how I can have a positive winrate and never climb.
You are absolutely climbing, the next time you get a rank update, pay attention to that % of players number. Did it go up or down?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Mid Season 5 patch is out!

Patch Notes: https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/
TL:DR

Tanks
  • Orisa - Buffed
    • Fortify up to 50% damage reduction, from 40%.
  • Ramattra - QOL
    • Vortex now passes through enemy heros instead of bouncing off of them.
  • Rienhardt - Buffed
    • Shield increased to 1400 health, up from 1200.

• Ball - Changes
    • Manual reload speed down to 1.6s from 2s.
    • Auto-reload in ball is still 2s
Damage
  • Sojourn - Buffed
    • Primary Fire Spread threshold changed to 12 shots, up from 8.
    • Primary Fire Spread reduced by 12%.

• Soldier - Buffed
    • Pulse Rife Damage up to 19, from 18.
    • Helix Rockets damage up to 90, from 80.
    • Biotic Field Healing up to 40/s, from 35/s.

• Sym - Buffed
    • Primary Fire Regen shield when damaging barriers at 30/shield helath a second
    • Secondary Fire Max Direct Damage up to 50 from 45.
    • Secondary Fire Max Explosion damage up to 50 from 45.
    • Turret damage down to 25, from 40)
    • Turrets show damaged targets while harming them, and for 1 second after disconnect

• Torb - Buffed
    • Secondary Fire spread reduced to 4.5, from 5 degrees.
    • Turret damage reduced to 11 from 14
    • Turret cooldown increased to 12 seconds, from 10.
    • Overload now gives 6 ammo on use.
Support
  • Kiriko - Buffed
    • Healing Ofuda recovery reduced to .9 from 1.0
  • Zen - Nerfed
    • Discord Orb Range down to 30 meters, from 40.
    • Discord removal down to 1.5 seconds from LOS from 2.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 12, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Codependent Poster posted:

Ram is a great counter to Zarya. He can pressure her from a distance, put a shield up, and if she gets close then nemesis form to armor up, reduce damage, then punch the poo poo out of her.

What? No. Ram dies to Zarya, nothing he does can reduce her incoming damage. That beam straight up eats him.

Best way to deal with Zarya is to force her to blow through her cooldowns, but that requires a little bit of team coord. If the team isn't following focus targets, and or doesn't know to force the bubble pops. You'll probably spend half the match with her at mid-high energy. Which she should promptly use to walk into the back line and destroy your support.

Jack Trades posted:

That Ball change is anti-QoL if anything.

Due to the muscle memory? Nearly half second off reload seems ideal when you trigger it manually, and allows you to get back shooting.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Pvt. Parts posted:

I'll take stuff that works in one elo that's doesn't work in another for $800.

e: not aimed at anyone in particular, just suspect that this is that the convo is coming down to
Haha, probably. I'm about average overall, and slightly above average at some of my tanks. I'm mostly a QP warrior, but regularly see GM/Masters titled players in my match. They might totally be off role though.

Jack Trades posted:

Ram absolutely destroys Zarya. He was my go-to counter to her.

What are you talking about? His block reduces 75% of damage. And he can put a shield up. And he gets the armor buff. And he can whittle her down from a distance before engaging.

From my experience, normally he doesn't have much to punish her pushing in. Unless you have some decent team cord, it tends to be hard to kill the zarya if she has any level of support. Zarya can just keep marching forward towards Ram putting constant beam pressure on him, or walk past him to destroy the backline. At least, that's normally how I get it done.

Hargrimm posted:

It's the opposite, Fortify was buffed from 40 to 50%.

Thanks, fixed my post.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

lol this doesn't happen

Please go ahead and show some videos of a DPS landing 100% of their shots on a squishy who is being healed and them not dying

They won't be able to because it doesn't happen. You either hit enough shots to kill them fast enough, or you don't which means they get healed. The only exception recently was that wonky mercy does 50%+ more healing under 50% health, and she still had to be actively healing them before they started to receive any amount of damage, unless it was a tank/beefy target.

If a solid dps is hitting someone, consistently, they will die, no amount of direct healing can change that. Even Moria's massive HPS (orb + piss) isn't going to stop two hanzo arrows, junk wombo combo, echo beam+gunk.

Nothing short of a live saving cooldown will prevent their deaths.

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't touched the game in months because it just keeps getting worse and worse every patch and I was annoyed instead of having any fun at all with it.

Me and my friends jumped over to Omega Strikers instead. It's not an FPS but it scratches the same itch as OW used to with team-based gameplay of varied interesting characters without a big focus on high APM (like the MOBAs), that our friend group can play together.
And the matchmaking isn't loving infuriating like it is in OW2.

Jack Trades posted:

I seriously have never seen worse matchmaking than OW2's current one.

Of a game you're not playing?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 24, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

im depressed lol posted:

But then this Masters support player says "why did you swap to pharrah? don't you know torb counters pharrah?" and I think (but don't say) "wait.... why do you think Torb counters Pharrah? If I hug cover as I shoot at the turret I'm fine. Am I being trolled? Am I an idiot? Does this person think I'm just going to blast off into the open air and let the aimbot turret kill me?" It was really striking how 'matter of factedly' the person just spat that out.

So, I dunno.... is there a blithe of trash advice on the net about this game? After they said that I googled a bit and saw a lot of incredibly low-effort 'counter' charts for OW2 on 'websites' that barely qualify as such. A lot of them were so... weird & nonsensical shite to me as a dude who has played the game since pre-release beta. Like, Junkrat as a hard counter to D.Va? What loving SR is that happening at?

Edit: Also just bit a more context I have been playing online FPS's for like 20 years so maybe I'm just naive & assume people should just 'know' when something is bullshit if they give it more than a moment's critical thought. But I dunno, I could be dumb and torb actually IS a pharrah counter & the thread can roast me. Why not, I'm a clown!

At best torb is/was a soft counter to phara. Unless torb is cracked and can yeet chetos at you consistently, or is a master turret placer in hidey bullshit areas. I wouldn't consider him a hard counter though. Lots of new players do not understand phara's 3d movement and how to take advantage of it. They recently reduced his turret damage down to 11 from 14.

I'd be much more worried of: Widow/Ash, Soldier/Bastion/Baptist, Cass, Anna.
But torb? Low on my list. Unless again, cheatoing you to death.

Edit: Even if something is a hard counter to you, until its actively preventing from doing your job, there is no point to switch. I have been in plenty of QP games (and even a few weird comp games) where entire teams are trying to shut you down as a phara and can't, because your team is serving as a great distraction!

Edit 2: You actually tried something different, instead of continuing to ram your head into the wall. That should be celebrated, even if it didn't change the outcome. Lots of people will instant pick something and refuse to swap off, which is just as much of a problem. I get its QP, but no one came here for you to sit and throw a tantrum and not play with the other 4 people on the team.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 25, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

If you look at the top500 for dps its all mostly pharah and echo (unless that's changed in the last week) because those characters are also overtuned to poo poo, hitscan isn't really strong enough against them.

Lot of those guys up there are going to have some sort of mercy pocket, and that completely changes everything. Ontop of it being top 500.

Just phara, and just echo are not the problem. Phara/Echo + Pocket is. Its hard to 1v2 to a pocket, so now you need to invest 2 players to counter. Which might be a losing strat depending on what is punching you in the face from the frontend.

toadee posted:

From this season

That's Yzna, they're absolutely insane at phara, they almost 100% have a pocket in those games.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 25, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

If you interupt dva while re-meching it cancels the ult. You can also kill her while remeching if you're fast enough. If she isn't entering the mecha, I'm pretty sure she can still be killed. Its once she gets into it that its real again.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 28, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Open Marriage Night posted:

I have twenty bucks worth of currency I've been sitting on since OW2 launched. Can I use that for the new PVE content?

No, PVE is behind a real paywall. You can buy the battlepass with OW Coins (not credits).

15 USD for the "cheap" option, which includes 1000 ow coins
45 USD for the fancy option, which includes 2 additional skins, plus 2k coins, plus the battle pass, plus 20 level skips.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/overwatch-invasion-bundle?p=1337309

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sandwolf posted:

plz stop giving money to this lovely company tia

Eh, I'd rather play the game i like, and support the game I like by spending money on it.

The PVE was fun, the higher difficulties are legit hard, and had less than 1% completion rate or something. Top 500 streamers doing 40~ hours of attempts to beat it.

But it was rather short lived, and I am doubtful I'll go back to actually play them again outside of with friends who might need to do it.

But for 5 dollars? I was happy with what I received.

Unhappy about other things, but not the quality or the content that was part of the 5 dollar PVE.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sandwolf posted:

They do not care about the first part because you are still giving them $$$

I like the PVP, its what I bought the game for. I never really cared about the PVE, except as a fun afterthought. They're giving us a constant flow on a schedule, and I like that. Its way better than the last 2 years of overwatch 1's life with zero updates.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Alfalfa posted:

Looking for group is not only the main reason I was able to get to gold from bronze, but also helped me meet some really good guys that I enjoy playing with.

The fact they took it out is so frustrating

It turned into spam/ads/etc at the end of OW1. I am guessing that they just haven't wanted to deal with it in the new engine yet. More social features would be nice.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
Only problem with liveweaver is people who use pull on cooldown for no reason at all.

People can be useless on any role and character they picked, bad players are bad, and they only get better through practice, trial, and error.

dogstile posted:

Because ana missing her nade doesn't nullify my five man shatter. Ana missing her nade might lose fights because the player isn't doing well, but it doesn't take fights that you absolutely would have won and turn them into either a continued fight or a loss.

Lifeweaver can do that. It absolutely is not the same.

Mei can drop a wall before or after you shatter, and that entirely ruined it. Phara/Lucio can boop your people away before/after you shattered.

Tons of ways to gently caress with your team if that is your goal, I don't understand why its seems to be lifeweaver that gets all of this hate.

gently caress, the number of times I've had a mei just block infront of me when trying to do an ult....

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 11, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

Mei doesn't get that much play (and will just drop the wall if its bad), pharah is probably still going to kill the shattered stunned people. A lucio player booping someone an extra couple of feet forward doesn't stop you from throwing two firestrikes through them. poo poo, if they're with you, they'll be on speed, you're still gonna kill them, lol.

That's probably why.

The number of times I've been denied an ult by a mei (on my team), VASTLY outnumbers the times lifeweaver has done the same, its not even close.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

Eh, either way, its lovely. That's not exactly an argument in favour of lifeweaver.

I think mei's a dumb character too, she just doesn't see much play at my level. I do see people trying to make lifeweaver work, its absolutely fine until that one fight where they override my decision for me and then i'd rather they just play literally any other healer.

Same poo poo with Moira. Great, wonderful low elo character. The moment you start getting higher up, if the other teams supports are playing characters who actually have utility + heals rather than just "heals and occasionally try's to solo a backliner before getting domed" you'll have a harder time.

Moria plays very differently depending on your comp, and what level you're playing in, that's really true for every character though. Moria is overall fine, her utility is her damage, but you have to have a team that lets you capitalize on it. Not sure why you think Moria is only low ELO, when she is played at every skill tier. She has a 5% pick rate in GM, its not Anna at 16%, but that's not shabby. https://www.overbuff.com/heroes?platform=pc&gameMode=competitive&skillTier=grandmaster&timeWindow=3months

Its really easy to play any character badly, if you don't know what you should be doing for the game and map you're on.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sloppy posted:

Like I get keeping people from quitting mid match is good, but if it hasn't even started yet there shouldn't be a loving penalty :mad:

If you're in the match, it has started, its time for the penalty. Leaving at the start is just as bad/worse than leaving in the middle or at the end. The result is that you left the match and left the team in a lurch. It sucks to lose/not be able to play until you get that backfill, assuming that you get it quickly, and they ALSO don't bail on the match.

An early bailer can just entirely kill a match.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

d0grent posted:

What? I almost always have a new teammate before the doors open if someone leaves during the initial hero select.

The back filler will be late to the first team fight, even if they get in before the hero select is over in most cases. Unless they filly nearly instantly.

It can totally take 1-2 minutes, depending on the time of day, game mode, and skill level you're playing at.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sloppy posted:

Gee, so easily solved by letting us pick what maps we want to play. I'm not rage-quitting, I just don't want to spend 20 minutes playing a boring map. This is 100% a Blizzard problem, not a my-behavior problem.

And for reference, this is in Mystery Heroes/QP, never in competitive or whatever.

Yeah, you're still absolutely screwing the game over. If you don't care, then whatever.

I've been playing since release, there are no maps worth rage quitting over. Boring games are caused by boring people. And, you are totally rage quitting by bailing on a map /game mode you don't like. Its just a different sort of rage quitting.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

that's cool and all but what if I don't feel like playing one particular game mode, why can't I select which modes I want to play

Cuz that's not how the game works? If you want dedicated modes, go play in the arcade :). Edit: which is a lovely thing to say, since its open queue and not Role queue.

Which game mode/map is it that you dislike, and why?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 27, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

isndl posted:

Matchmaking already sucks in normal circumstances, how's it supposed to get any better when the system has to desperately backfill as fast as possible, probably at the expense of someone who clearly doesn't belong in that game?

Yes, the backfill MMR is very different than the normal match fill. It feels like it tries to give an advantage (higher skill level) more often than not.

I've been placed into games, where I was clearly a few tiers over my team/nme team. Like, because I'm playing phara and NO ONE IS LOOKING UP.

I've also been filled into games where it was stupidly clear I was under performing compared to the team.

Sloppy posted:

I know you're quoting him, but I am playing in Arcade. I mostly just quit on Push maps because they're all terrible, everything else is fine or fine enough.

What's wrong with push? Its control that you don't have to change map rounds on. I have some ideas as to why you might dislike it, but I don't find it terrible in the least.

Sloppy posted:

And again, this is an instant quit as soon as I see the loading screen, not like mid-match. Plenty of time for someone else to fill in. I can count on one hand the number of times I've quit during the game, usually when the rest of my team is emoting in spawn or something similar.

You are still screwing that game over, sorry. Again, if you are fine with it than you'll need to suck up the penalties.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vermain posted:

the point of having a randomized map queue with penalties for leaving is that it forces everyone to buy in to the maps they hate for the opportunity to play the maps they like. OW2 players aren't monolithic: there's going to be some people who really love the maps you really dislike and vice versa, and the only way to ensure that everyone gets to have their faves is to average it out via a common pool

people always say that they'd gladly wait a longer time to only play their favorite X, whether that's map, character, or mode, and they're always eventually driven away once the queues start hitting 10+ minutes

I am probably some weird outlier, but there was never really a map I disliked. I also mostly enjoyed 2CP 99% of the time too, so I was really sad to see Horizon and Paris gone. They were beautiful, if not weird maps to play on for all of the various reasons.

I am very happy the days of 5-10 minute queues from the end of OW1's life are mostly gone, outside of higher rated comp games.

Sloppy posted:

They're too open and sprawling, and it feels like you spend way more time running back from spawn than in other maps. They could just do a 30% shrink on all of them and it would be a huge improvement.

I also dislike how if teams are balanced you just move the robot back and forth in the middle until the time runs out (versus the more sequential stuff like 2CP which almost feels like multiple maps - you never see the starting spawn once you've capped, etc). I suppose you could make the same argument against maps like Illios but the maps are so much smaller you can get back in the fun in seconds so its less annoying.

So, my first thought was on the mark, that you dislike the runbacks. There are a ton of alternative routes, and you need to learn them to get back to the point/team faster. The runbacks shouldn't be much longer _most_ of the time than any other game mode. Of course if you choose the absolute worst path to return to your team/the fight, it would not feel great. I still see tons of players taking bad paths in push games. Blizz for sure should try to help with the alt routes based on the robot position for the guidelines.

Edit: It doesn't help you basically have to understand where the push robot is, in the map, and where the team is moving it to, to hit the right intercept point. There is also some odd counter play with how you should engage from a game play pov.

I think Flashpoint did a better job of a dynamic match. No two flashpoint matches feel directly alike, where as Push certainly can.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 27, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Javik the Seer posted:

Was hoping they had added a bunch of QoL updates to this game, but they still haven't. Why do defense players not just spawn on the first capture point on Payload maps? Why make late joiners run all the way from the far spawn at the start of the game? All that does is hamstring players if they don't IMMEDIATELY pick a character. Defense should just spawn on the first point at the start of the game, how stupid that it isn't like that.

Part of me feels like this is designed to help you learn the map flow. Though, I think their starting spawn pre game is too far away for most maps. But it does help you understand how far away from the fight you're going to be most often. It does suck for late fillers, but ideally the game didn't start that way. Remember, all games more or less emulate comp, which would make these changes all but useless there.

Javik the Seer posted:

Also mapchat: you shouldn't be forced to play maps you don't like, or map TYPES you don't like. If the community all likes Payload, then let them play Payload. It genuinely feels like a chore to play maps you don't like just to get to the ones you do, which ultimately leads to people just not wanting to queue.

I cannot see how this does anything but destroy queue times for most players. The game has always been a rotation of game modes and maps for these queues (QP, Comp). There are game specific queues in arcade, but those also come with arcade rules (open queue, or other specific scenarios).

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Javik the Seer posted:

How would it be more useless in comp? If you're having a team discussion on who to be, you have to slam pick it pretty quick or you're just automatically late to the fight. That should never be the case. They have the little directional lines that show you which way the map goes. There is no need to spawn at the initial spawn on defense in any game mode. Think Junkertown, even if you pick before the timer is up, you're not getting to the fight for a good 15 seconds. Its really stupid. Games are won or lost on this alone and I can't believe it even launched that way.

Unless you have an atrocious computer, you get time to pick a character before you spawn in. This is normally where you'd chat up about comp, before the map is open to you. Then you still have 30-40 seconds post character pick to navigate around the map and get familiar with it.

Javik the Seer posted:

And as for queue times, who cares. Its less fun for me and probably my team mates if im stuck in a map mode i dislike, am not interested in, or as that other poster mentioned, if I end up quitting. Let us either vote on maps, or select a preferred game type so we can play what we WANt to play not what we HAVE to play.

You are cool to wait 30 minutes for a 5 minute game? So 2 games per hour? Queue times matter, most people ain't gonna wait more than 5-10 minutes for a game, if that.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Javik the Seer posted:

Even if you were right about 30-40 seconds, which you aren't, it isn't that much time, its literally half that time spent running in straight lines to the front lines. LIterally half the set up time is spent running to the fight up front. That is ridiculous and could easily be changed by having folks get spawned right on the point or have some kind of speed buff pre-match that ends 3 seconds before the fight. So many solutions that make the gaming experience better in this threads last few pages that this small indie company just can't handle.

You literatly get 30 seconds to pick a character, BEFORE you can spawn into the map. What about my statement is incorrect?

Javik the Seer posted:

And yeah, at least let me ban certain game modes or maps. I never want to play flashpoint again. Ever and I shouldn't be penalized for getting it and not wanting to play it.

What's wrong with flashpoint exactly?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 30, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

I just don't like playing it and I'd like the option not to.

I don't understand why you'd enjoy overwatch in the general, but dislike Flashpoint of all things. Can you expand on that?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Inept posted:

the fun analyzer demands answers
Demand? No, but I'd really like to understand why they don't like flashpoint. I've had some luck turning some people around on it, once I understood their complaints and helped to reframe them. Will that work for everyone? No, but I enjoy the crap out of this game, and want to see others find that same joy that I do.

I'd argue that Flashpoint is pretty close to control, except that you move around the map, instead of being moved to an entirely new capture point on the map. The in-between rounds, are now moving between the capture points on the map. This is all the core gameplay mechanics, so what is there to dislike? I find that the little moment to moment fights while moving to the new capture point are equally interesting, not to mention random fights around the map.

I was initially a little frustrated with Flashpoints, but I found that mostly down to be not understanding the map. After playing more, and spending time exploring the maps a little, I don't have that same frustration.

A lot like push, you need some time to get used to the new game mode. You can tell they got a lot of good data back from Flashpoints from that mini event we did back in season 5 with the infinite empire. Because that was clearly a template for flashpoints, they found that random first location was really horrible and standardized it into what we have now.

I also originally disliked push, for much of the same reasons, not being familiar with the maps.

Javik the Seer posted:

You get 25 seconds to pick, then i think generally 45 seconds before match start. This assumes you are right there, ready to go. A lot of maps can take 20 seconds to get into position and thats huge. SO REALLY you have about 45 seconds or so. Thats if no one changes their character, leaves, etc. The easy and simple solution is to just remove the possibility of staggaring and have folks spawn on the defense point until the attackers spawn opens. This seems like such a unilaterally good thing that solves so many issues while providing no downside, i don't know why folks are arguing against it.

Isn't that what I said previously? You get an assembly phase, followed by a setup phase. Unless you have a potato of a computer, you should have picked a character before the map even let you move around. Also, in your scenario of spawning on the point, are we allowing them to change heros until the game starts? I am guessing you want a closer spawn room.

I would argue that allowing the team to move to the point after spawning in, instead of teleporting them directly to it is overall a positive thing. If you only spawned into that area and you are new to the map, you don't know where your spawn is, how long it takes to run back from it, or what things are behind/around you that might be useful: eg cover, health packs, etc. Do you always spawn into the point when defending after the initial spawn? What about when they take a point? I don't think its bad per-say, I just think it would introduce more potential problems and confusions than it solves right now. Maybe we'll see more on this front as they have added QOL things recently, like grouped respawns for QP. It makes it a lot easier to regroup after in game modes that support this.

Javik the Seer posted:

And flashpoint sucks because the maps are huge and take forever.

Flashpoint games don't last any longer in my experience than any other game mode can. What's "takes forever" for you? New players on new maps in new game modes are just like launch OW, no one knows wtf is going on.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

jesus christ

I really hope no-one buys them and the whole thing is a failure, but I know people are stupid :smith:

Why exactly is it stupid to spend some of your disposable income on a game you enjoy if it makes you happy?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Because the prices are too high, and it's stupid to encourage that kind of price tier.

Which is a shame, because they're great skins.

Too high relative to what? I can generally agree and say that the prices are a little too high for my tastes, and it makes me double think buying skins. But, I see tons of skins in game, so they're clearly not too expensive, or they would have course corrected on the pricing. Its also alot better than some of the early surveys they did, asking people if they'd pay 65 dollars for a mythic skin. If we're looking at other F2P PC shooters, like APEX/Valorant are their skins not about the same price slash more expensive? I don't play these games, just general understanding of the market.

I bought skins (OWL) pre-OW2, so I was already spending money on them. I've already spend money on OW2 skins, because I thought they were amazing and enjoy them a ton. I just wish they had kept it around 15 dollars, instead of 20 for epics.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Why? Are they too high for you? Too high relative to what?

I know you're just being a jerk here, but I did qualify my too high statement. I would prefer 15, over 20, but I cannot fault them for 20, when every other game like it is charging more, not less. It also must be somewhat successful, or we'd have seen changes on the pricing if it wasn't going well.

I would like to see them come down, I don't expect them to because we are buying them at a rate they find acceptable.

teagone posted:

[edit] I picked Sombra earlier for a match not having realized they overhauled her kit lmao. Had no idea what I was doing with her, I miss her old gameplay loop :argh:

Its been so great not having sombras disappear at 1 hp, and watching them die. I really like her new kit, both playing with it and against it.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Runa posted:

Yo I hate to break this to you but this is survivor bias in action, OW2 numbers are a pale shadow of what OW once was and you're just hanging it with people who kept playing.

At its height? Sure, but OW1 was more or less dead before the OW2 launch. Talkin 15-20 min queue times for QP on high traffic game days.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

dogstile posted:

If you played tank it was 30 seconds.

Eh, not really. I mostly played flex queued, and was still seeing horrible queue times until OW2 beta kicked off.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

5CP Hanamura, lol

The worst parts of 2CP, was that there was only 2. If you lose fight one, you have to give everything or its a more or less an L. If the team somehow really bum rushed you, you would feel like the game is already over. Having more points was the most common suggestion from the community on how to improve 2CP, ala hybrid.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

d0grent posted:

Mauga's existence is such a gently caress you to Reinhardt

Here, have a 500 hp bastion that can also outrun you

He looks fun though

Healing bastion, with two sources of healing (dealing damage to on fire targets, plus the cooldown ability)

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

headcase posted:

I'm guessing rein and doom will knock him down with charge. It would be weird if he just sweeps rein out of the way.

No, he is invulnerable from being interrupted.

Edit: I did get rein qued, but not sure if i had finished the charge or not.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 3, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Honestly, it's nice to see the devs being excited about things and see their process, it's easy to forget that most of the things that are really lovely about OW come from the demands of corporate.

Yeah, I felt that, these guys really care about their game, and game world, and what they deliver to people. It was nice to see that aspect. It was also nice of them being more willing to pull back the curtain more on what they felt they were readyish to share and show us.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Father Wendigo posted:

Has anybody watched not-Jeff's Overwatch presentations from Blizzcon? Did he say anything of substance?

What are you asking about? A recap of Blizzcon?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

PantsBandit posted:

Well, Sombra too, but yeah.

I'm personally of the opinion that abilities that negate other abilities are bad design. Always feel terrible to have your big moment that takes several minutes of build-up totally invalidated.

In that same vein, every time my Ana ult gets canceled in the .5 seconds it takes for the animation to complete it reminds me how that should not even be a thing.

Zet posted:

Isn't that half of what makes the game? Ebb and flow of cooldowns to make cool plays? :confused:

Yeah, almost every ult in the game can be cancelled, interrupted, and or prevented. That is 100% part of the game, and understanding when its okay to use that ability, is called game sense. Its like knowing you shouldn't be near a ledge when you are fighting a someone who has a knockback. Or baiting the kiri cleanse before using anti when it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I feel like 150 armor was too much to give him, from 0.

His health pool is just stupidly big.