Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Johnny Bravo posted:

nobody will know who to vote for when Trout, Ohtani and Judge play on a team that's 30 something games below .500

The next version of Tungsten Arm would be incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah I'm not at all surprised. Hopefully Lewis can come back and produce at a good level. Otherwise I have no idea.

But maybe they work out a longer deal with Correa. Everyone seems to have loved him in MN, and he put in the third-best season by a Twins SS of all time. I don't think they'd necessarily pony up for him, but I'd like to think it would be a possibility.

With Trea Turner theoretically being available this year I think his overall value on the market is a little lower. It'll be interesting to see where guys land this year.

And even without Correa I think position players are pretty consistent and mostly set for the Twins. The question mark, as it always is, is pitching. The rotation is riddled with injuries or guys coming off them and the bullpen still needs to be consistent and reliable. Correa can't fix that, and *not* paying him might help us shore that up. (Haha just kidding Pohlads will just lower payroll by exactly his contract amount.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

If you're an Angels fan that is great news but it also means another wasted year for the two best players in MLB.

Rob Manfred I'm calling on you as Commissioner of Major League Baseball to step in and remedy this injustice. Move Ohtani and Trout to a different team, preferably one located in the middle of the country so fans in any time zone can watch them, that already has a large fan base and sufficient income to pay their hefty salaries. The Chicago Cubs will accept both players for the good of all baseball.

Rockies need to just create a superteam, obliterate every team hitting record ever, and show everyone the true benefit of playing half your games in Denver. Ohtani, Trout, Judge, everyone. Be the greatest show on earth for a couple years completely break baseball.

Instead, they just bank on being the only game in town for hundreds and hundreds of miles and having rad unis.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

STAC Goat posted:

Michael Kay is basically mcmagic.

Now that I think about it I've never seen them in the same room.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Rizzo back to the Cubs, Trea Turner to an 8 year deal, Christopher Morel extension. Get it done.

This might actually get me to go to Wrigley next year.

Didn't go to a single ballgame in my own city. Only one was Pride Night at Target Field. Not nearly enough based balls.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

basically until this video mainstream journalism covered crypto and NFTs with the wide-eyed wonder of the 90s internet: "whoa, I don't totally understand this but here's a guy whose title is 'crypto sensei' at a startup talking about how it's the future!" and covering the massive (fake) amount of money these things were selling for

it skated by on being new enough that scam artists and true believers could handwave any arguments about why it was obviously worthless with "you just don't understand it, old man, have fun staying poor" and journalists generally gave it the benefit of the doubt because "it sounds really stupid, but there must be something I'm not getting that makes it make sense"

that video honestly helped break down in great detail exactly what was happening and how actually no, the emperor's new clothes aren't the amazing new future, there's just a bunch of naked idiots trying to sell you tokens that point at a url that you hope still has a json file that you hope still has a link to ape jpegs

I've just never understood how "dump your money into an unregulated black hole" was ever supposed to work for the end user, both in crypto and in the NFT abstraction layer. But I also regularly overestimate humanity's ability in almost every possible realm, so this shouldn't be a surprise, ultimately.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

but enough about the angels

:holymoley:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had no idea Gurriel was 39. I guess that'll happen when the majority of your career is in Cuba.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yes hello I would like Judge on the Giants despite the Dads being my NL West team.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is 10 sports bets a day a lot? I don't know about these things.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If you're not walking through a frozen slough with an underpowered shotgun while your alcoholic father stands outside, high and dry, with one bad eye and a high-powered rifle, waiting for your tiny, drenched and tired body flushing out a white-tail, you're not really hunting.

Look at that fuckin gun. You could hit a bird in another county with that thing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The "absurdly preliminary" '23 ZiPS projections just leaving current FAs out of it entirely, have Atlanta leading MLB at 96 wins somehow?

I was about to say that no matter who MN picks up, they will get 85 wins and just barely miss the division while being miles back of a wild card. They could somehow land Correa and Verlander AND Kershaw and still somehow collapse in August.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wanted Abreu to sign with the Cubs, but even without that I'm going to miss seeing him at Comiskey.

One of my favorite reasons to be at the park when the Twins were losing.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ruth
J. Gibson
Paige
Williams
Robinson
Mantle
B. Gibson
Ryan
Bonds
Ichiro

I really want to include Randy Johnson. But I think, narrative-wise, you get a good cross-section of baseball history through the major mature periods.

If pressed I'd probably include Speaker, Cobb, Wagner, Hornsby, and Walter Johnson, but... well. Bonds is a terrible enough person.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I loving love this spicy Judge content.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gonna be great to watch a generational talent tread water in Pittsburgh until the trade deadline of his last arb eligible year, all the while Nutting pretending like THIS is the year they build a team around him and compete.

Just kidding, Nutting won't say poo poo except how poor they are and can't afford it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wonder how long Royce Lewis will actually be now and what his prospects actually are after a second ACL surgery. Will he be still he a good SS? Do we move him to 3B and have Swanson's be A Guy for several years? Like, I was on board with Correa because everyone knew he'd be leaving and he was a splash to be a bridge to Lewis, but now I legit don't know what the gently caress.

I feel like the Twins are just in a loop of shuffling deck chairs for a the next several years. Moreso than usual. Like, IS there a plan?

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2022

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mcmagic's *~thing~* is hating Gleyber Torres, specifically. That's all there is to get.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only reason I'm not assuming this is blatant collusion is that Cohen doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the other owners.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Hall of Famer Rod Carew

He converted!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Ted Barrett, Greg Gibson, Tom Hallion, Sam Holbrook, Jerry Meals, Jim Reynolds, Bill Welke, Marty Foster, Paul Nauert and Tim Timmons.

I've heard of these guys but that's about it. I won't be sated until Hernandez, Bucknor, and Cuzzi are done, though.

Paracaidas posted:

The Athletic's Top Remaining Twins Targets

Dire.

We're so hosed. God drat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Has Correa died on the way back to his home planet or what?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

The Twins had some good three man booths this year too. Especially when the two color guys were a hitter and a pitcher.

Morneau and Perkins especially were absolutely delightful. I think if the Twins replaced Bremer with Provus (currently the lead radio guy for the Twins) it would be a perfect booth.

I would watch every single game.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Aggrivated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. The weapon: an unopened can of White Claw.

There's a number of political comments to be made here, but I'm just not gonna make em. That said, gently caress this DA. Holy poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I would laugh a lot. Like a lot a lot. Because if his ankle does not, in fact, fall out, and he produces at Correa levels, it would be hilarious.

That said, the Twins are already playing the "if everyone is healthy" lotto again this year. So it might still be hilarious, but in that other, not actually funny way.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So where does Correa end up after he fails the Twins’ physical

I'd say "No one fails a Twins physical" but they also fired their trainer this offseason, so who knows what's going on in the clubhouse now.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A-Rod admitted to intentionally juicing while still being an active player. That's it. That's the difference. No "whoops how did that get there" song and dance, no flat refusal to talk about it, he just told the truth.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Does Minnesota have a state income tax

He's not going to net much more than we offered him, ffs. Aaron Judge bet on himself and won, Correa bet on himself and lost.

Yes, Minnesota has state income tax, and it's not exactly light. Cheaper than California or New York, I'm willing to bet.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

we fired like our entire medical staff

Yeah if I remember right, we had a bunch of guys that had absolutely no rehab regimen or anything, which explains a lot, really.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Redeye Flight posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone, in case anyone could have somehow possibly forgotten:

https://twitter.com/BasebaIlKing/status/1612098557997355008

Not a single Raul Ibañez spike?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I can't believe Correa got 31 years and $865 million this offseason

Pohlads were uncharacteristically generous this year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

You field balls that are deeper through the infield and your momentum carries you away from first base more often

You're also playing 2B almost as much as the actual 2B.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Right after 9/11 Jim Cornette went on a rant in the middle of the ring about how we should just glass the middle east and not care about their women or children because they don't care about our women and children and Cena was the only one who looked disgusted. Meanwhile Lesnar was clapping like crazy

Lesnar is from South Dakota and was discharged from his Army Reserve office job because he can't type. He is, however, an NRA shill. I think even as athletes go, he's probably an extra special case.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Every time Yu Darvish doesn't get a World Series ring is what gets me most angry.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo this is... a good deal? For Minnesota??

A serviceable pitcher, a top-5 org guy, and decent-looking lottery ticket for Arraez is pretty dang good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

it's all about the positions he doesn't play

Thread title?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That math seems off, but my interest is still piqued.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I loved Blyleven's response to not getting in one year. "Life goes on. The dog still poops on the lawn."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Put the lab guy Ryan Braun threw under the bus in the hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Patrick Spens posted:

Turns out he ruled and six year old me was dumb as hell.

This is my favorite part of liking sports but not actually following them. Like, watching the World Cup and knowing that Messi is legendary but not knowing HOW good he actually is and then reading up on him was mind-altering. Dude broke the game and I was under the impression that he's "pretty good."