Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wow with the one obvious exception the outfield crop is just putrid and meanwhile the Braves are stuck paying Ozuna $41m the next two years

Anthopoulos doesn't gently caress up often but when he does he goes big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
all respect to Judge and look forward to his further adventures in life however
https://twitter.com/jizzjohnsonjr/status/1577797846069395457?s=46&t=C1BnmyBLW97UlTXn-nOhyw

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

Braves should reunite the Contreras bros after they launch Ozuna into a volcano

do love the idea of a frères Contreras catcher/DH swap and d’Arnaud could be usefully traded but still need to figure out something for left field next year

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

irritated that the word has obviously gone out to lay the groundwork for Ozuna continuing to get ABs in the postseason https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1578472581270671361?s=20&t=ZlMZUL42rHwSoIHNbS0UaA

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Welp the Braves finally ran out of fumes, this sorta crash has been coming and I’m amazed it took this long. Fun that they overhauled and doomed the Mets, but just as clearly the Mets doomed the Braves by making them go so far into the red for the division race. Hard to complain otherwise, Phillies always play the Braves tough and were obviously better this series.

Team should be still pretty solid next year, and maybe properly rested. Keep Dansby (or snag an upgrade), get a real left fielder, and do the usual pitching carousel. Also the best time to ditch the name and the chop was yesterday but today or even tomorrow will do just fine.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

In terms of DRS, Andruw Jones is the best fielder of all time. That alone should be enough to get him into the Hall.

people still underestimate him, i bet he played shallower than just about any CF ever too because he was so confident he could haul down anything that got over his head (which, with that pitching staff, was not all that often), so he could concentrate on vacuuming up would-be bloops

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Also Joe Torre

The answer is probably Bobby Cox but gently caress him

If only Bobby Cox (and Schuerholz) had stayed the gently caress out of the front office the Braves might not have had to torpedo the entire franchise or at least not go through so many years of Fredi.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

From Mark Bowman's weekly newsletter today, did not remember ever hearing this:

oofs all round

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

that exact sort of entitlement is the one thing that links together all the teams and fanbases that i truly, truly hate, and the thing even over top of the labor and other exploitative bullshit that makes sports absolutely unbearable a huge percentage of the time

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Guess I get the Mets seemingly nailing Diaz down for the year or two before he probably blows up but seems like an awful lot for the privilege. Then again, maybe they have just decided to take the cap off this year? NL East is gonna be weird next season.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Strong late entry for post/handle combo Take of the Year

https://twitter.com/jonbecker_/status/1590529365581832192?s=46&t=wTUl_Y5JdZP8eelRQbe8LA

lobster shirt posted:

odorizzi bad

he sure was

goddamn

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Soroka's money is $2.8 million and it's worth every penny if he pitches to even one big league batter. I've long given up on him replicating his rookie year, but I'd love for him to be able to finish his comeback. Poor dude.

Soroka making it back in any role at this point would be one of the feel-good stories of the year

Braves also non-tendered a few folks but no one in any way noteworthy except maybe General Jackson Stephens, who I'm sure will find his way back to the team somehow

oh and i guess Heredia but there wasn't going to be any room for him anyway

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 19, 2022

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Red posted:

That is a loving all-time Dad

it is kind of hilarious to imagine him walking in there only to immediately be met with resounding boos from all the other kids, the teachers, the staff, etc

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

it’s also down to 13.49 on Switch at least

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This baseball videogame gives me insane J. Henry Waugh vibes in a way no game since 90s Strat-o-Matic has

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The press box catching fire that day was so loving rad

what a day that was

I loved McGriff so much, one of the really iconic batting stances of his era

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

can anybody fill me in on Senga?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Anthopoulos is a warlock and I mean that as ambiguously as possible.

https://twitter.com/matteddyba/status/1598742268751614009?s=46&t=cWpJUM03QKlGivmmO-K7lA

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

catcher is not the position i really expected the Braves to be focusing on, unless they think Contreras can play left or something

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Sydin posted:

Oh okay I guess it's not the Braves lol

yeah that just didn't make sense, Contreras/d'Arnaud with Piña filling in is totally reasonable, no reason to trade arms or whatever else you'll definitely need more of unless you think you can absolutely fleece the A's for Murphy

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not a surprise considering two of his teammates were on the voting committee

McGriff is a pretty reasonable HOFer and he'd have been in years ago if he'd got the 7 HR he needed for 500.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bowman laying the groundwork for Dansby to head elsewhere https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1600525636182884353?s=46&t=8dFKywl_AgiJ7DikdPHuNw

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

hmm. they’d really been hyping Malloy and Jiménez has only the one good year. Dunno.

https://twitter.com/braves/status/1600676349991161856?s=46&t=v9NJ3HvtgwsQi38zy1LWgg

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Monathin posted:

If that's what they're asking for there's no way the Guards pony up for Murph and frankly good on them for that, what a silly offer to throw at someone.

in this market why wouldn’t you ask for the moon

think the Braves struck a reasonable deal for Olson considering the extension but Langeliers makes it possible for the A’s to force other teams to stick or twist

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mdemone posted:

...do we know for absolutely certain that the average leadoff slot gets more PAs than the 7/8/9 slots?

...how could it not work that way?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mdemone posted:

If the average game length is such that, e.g. the 5th, 6th guy comes up just as often

but the game can end on any lineup slot so the 1st slot will necessarily get the most and the 9th slot the fewest.

i don't think that necessarily limits the other half of your question though as the starting pitching approaches shift, especially with universal DH and openers in the mix. batting order seems due a bigger shakeup than "best hitter in the 2 slot".

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

i would like to see a historical summary of changes in lineup construction over time

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

mdemone posted:

Lol is that really a Kornheiser thing, I didn't know

LaRussa, who kept batting his pitcher 8th among other things

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I’d guess it’s less of a conspiracy and more of a “don’t rock the boat” deal.

this is how a whole lot of actual real-life conspiracies work just fyi

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

If you’re saying most “conspiracies” are cases of a bunch of parties just turning their heads at something shady because it’s convenient to do so rather than actually conspiring with someone I’d agree.

well this plus many institutions in society mostly organically come to structure themselves in such a way to make it convenient, even desirable for people to turn their heads, but almost never in such a way that any one group could be said to making and enforcing decisions

(sorry will stop there, just in the middle of grading a pile of conspiracy culture class final assignments this weekend)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

welp sure am glad Atlanta got their ring before all this came along, they're gonna have like the 4th or 5th biggest payroll in baseball and it still won't be half what the Mets are spending

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

before we’re off Ichiro entirely, this is going round again and folks may not have seen it because he keeps so quiet about stuff

https://twitter.com/nut_history/status/1601707733119832065?s=46&t=YHfGsZMuoKlks15K5wt-JQ

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was that after the fire?

nope he was apparently just overwhelmed by a visit there especially of a barnstorming tour of Negro Leaguers (including a very young Hank Aaron) to Japan among other places

https://joeposnanski.substack.com/p/the-gift-of-ichiro

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

holy poo poo

dunno about this one will see

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I’ve been watching Carlos Rodón since literally his high school days (he grew up less than 5 miles from where a lot of my family lives) and he loving owns and I wish he was on the big league team I support

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

New Mexico is Braves country?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dansby honestly isn’t all that bad but he is streaky as hell and his bad stretches can really just drain the life out of you.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

yeah the Braves were never going 7 years on Dansby much less at that price, good for him tho cashing in on what will probably be his career season

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Just know that whatever rise he does the rest of this year and contract Dansby will get off to an utterly atrocious start, that’s just how he is in April

he will give you a couple hot streaks though mostly when pitchers somehow forget they can’t toss heat middle-in against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Glad that Olson is generally healthy because otherwise Hosmer would be nailed on as AA’s failed reclamation project of the year