Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

OldMemes posted:

plus as we all know, Time Lords procreate through LOOMS :colbert:

:hfive:

From the previous thread:

Crapilicious posted:

I'm partial to a Chessmaster Doctor style myself. Dunno if they'll bring that back.

I'm hoping after seeing Sylvester in action that RTD brings back 8 in a limited series set during the Time War when the Doctor was mostly on the sidelines, "helping where I can" and he brings back 7 as a recurring character, dropping in now and then before the TV movie and advising his future self and setting up quests or whatever. That would OWN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Even when backtracking from "would not have had the sense of mind to refrain from dropping a reference" himself to "wouldnt have spotted someone else doing it you still say "probably" to kind of insinuate that maybe he would have dropped the n-bomb in a doctor who script. So again, I'm flat out asking you; Is there any evidence, any discourse, any anything to imply that Chibnell is a racist? Its surely not just "I dont like his creative output therefore he must be a Bad Man who does all the Bad Things and has the Bad Opinions"? Because his creative output is real bad, but that doesnt make him a bad human being, just a bad writer/showrunner.

Goons can't help but find the racist in the woodpile. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fugitive Doctor could be good, but there will be lot of useless background mystery about her because even Chibnall didn't seem to know what her actual story was. I think it would take away from the stories. :shrug:

Unless Big Finish just commits and tries to canonize her a place in the canon and either lean into or retcon the Timeless Child stuff. But they will be hesitant to for fear the tv show might decide to pick her up again and throw a different backstory in.

I suppose it could also work if they strongly suggest she's more of an Unbound incarnation, outside of the canon.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The man wore a tie for audio recording.

Class act, all the way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

The Master's entire deal is "Didn't you die?" "Nnnnnnope!" :haw:

I love that they literally did that with Dhawan's Master.

Rochallor posted:

It's very difficult to assess her performance given how totally different (and bad!) her version of the show was. I'm really curious to see her in an anniversary special in, what, I guess ten years' time now? Certainly she's a good actor in other stuff, but if I think back on what little of the Chibnall era I watched, the only person I can recall giving off charisma is Bradley Walsh, maybe, and that's probably just residual energy from being a presenter for so many years.

But really, look at Natalie Portman in the prequels versus in anything else she's been in.

He's a helluva actor. He was great on Law and Order: UK. That's what I know him from.

Jerusalem posted:

Still holding out hope that when this current incarnation of the Master regenerates, he turns into Missy and we discover he was the immediate regeneration after Simm, not Gomez, and had no idea 12 preceded 13 all along :allears:

I think this is pretty much dead, as it would imply that Missy knew about Gallifrey being destroyed and all the Timeless Child stuff. Once it was shown the current Master was involved in all that, it kinda killed the idea that he was a pre-Missy incarnation. Like why would Missy just sit on that knowledge when dealing with a previous incarnation of the Doctor?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

I loved that L&O:UK had in its cast a former Doctor, a former companion and a future companion (but not the one you would have expected).

Edit: huh, did not know that Chibnall was an executive producer. That explains how he got to know Bradley Walsh...

Also Apollo from BSG.

Honestly it was Bamber and Agyeman who got me to watch the series, as I have normally zero interest in police procedurals. Genre actors also hooked me into Hawaii 5-0 (at least til it got goofy in the end) and Longmire. L&O:UK also turned me on to fantastic actors like Bradley Walsh and Ben Daniels.

I tend to follow actors I like and will try out other stuff they do. I watched Longmire for Katee Sackhoff, and then read all the books and because of Zahn McClarnon on that show started watching Dark Winds. Now I'm reading Tony Hillerman novels about Tribal Police in the 70s and I never would have imagined I'd be doing that 20 years ago!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hopefully none of the Disney stuff has any fallout on Big Finish. If there was ever a time to be glad Russell is back it's when DW does a deal with Disney since he's the one who saved BF before.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

She has never known a world without Doctor Who on TV.

This hasn't happened for a Companion since Sophie Aldred. Arguably, it's only happened for her, Bonnie Langford, Sarah Sutton, Matthew Waterhouse, maybe Nicola Bryant depending on her memories of watching tv as a toddler.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

perhaps even, the trip of a lifetime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

WTF?! Doctor Who in a...leather jacket? And why does he have to be so young? Same as the TV movie, just go for some young guy, we'll never see a distinguished gentleman with white hair again, I suppose! Doctor Who more like Doctor Was!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m in the process of decluttering/packing to move home and I discovered a model which for a number of years I believed I had given away to a charity shop or lost.

It’s a talking Dalek produced by Product Enterprise in the very early 00s and was purchased 2002/2003. The oval plate sitting between the gun boxes serves as the button and when pushed it barks some suitably angry phrases and the lights on the dome flash in time.

While it does have a number of inaccuracies mainly due to incorporating design elements from different designs over the course of the show, the dimensions and proportions are spot on. They were sold in a variety of colours representing different designs through the era, though there was only one mould, so despite having the colours of an Imperial Dalek, it hasn’t got any of the unique design elements.

Unfortunately, mine has seen better days. The white elements are badly discoloured and this is especially bad on the rear shoulders and dome. The dome lights were originally clear.

The gold looks to be painted on and may have also suffered from UV damage as well as coming off. The skirt hemispheres and fender have suffered especially badly.

The right gun box is cracked and slightly dented.

The battery compartment has at some point had a battery leak and the contacts badly corroded.

This clearly won’t do, and as I’ve gotten rather good at miniature painting over the years I’m going to disassemble, strip, repair and repaint it and have it looking better than it was when new. I’ve decided it’s going to be one of the following schemes, and I’d like to see which one people think I should go for.

• Drone, silver and blue - The Chase.
  • Taskforce Commander, black and blue - The Chase.
  • Emperor’s Guard, silver and blue with black dome - The Evil of the Daleks.
  • Drone, dark grey and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Earth Controller, gold and black - The Day of the Daleks.
  • Drone, silver and black - Death to the Daleks.
  • Necros, white and gold - Revelation of the Daleks.

I won’t be starting until we’ve settled into our new place so have a bit of time to decide, as well as ensuring I can dismantle it properly first. Despite the state it’s in it is still in better condition than the props in Destiny of the Daleks.

Chase drone, classic all the way.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm sure 14's suit pattern will be much more subtle than that, but drat I wish it was that 1:1 on the show. :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

As an American growing up in the 80s and seeing DW inconsistently on various PBS runs, I would devour the Target novels as my only way to see (or resee) certain episodes. Some of them could really give you a totally different take if you'd never seen it before reading an episode.

The Space Museum is a great early one. If you've never watched the episode, read it first. It's :krad: Makes it seem a lot bigger and higher budget than it was.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Flux has some excellent ideas and concepts but just refuses to engage or explore them in any way at all.

Chibnall proposes that at some point in the past there was a war between Time and Space, the 4th and 5th dimensions as separate sides in a huge battle, instead of the usual ‘Time and Space’ as one, and then does precisely zero on expanding or explaining that surprisingly fertile thought. Doesn’t pick up on it at all, and it’s just so frustrating, because that’s a really good idea!

That last sentence is Chibnall in a nutshell. Both him and Moffat have amazing ideas, and while Moffat can stumble and get bloated and OTT, when he connects he knocks it out if the park. Chibnall never seems to be able to execute.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

SHE'S STILL AROUND AND NOBODY'S DONE THIS!?

What the gently caress are they waiting for?!

Big Finish has brought her back and continued her story numerous times. Quite frankly I could do without a tv version decanonizing theirs.

Jerusalem posted:

Chibnall when he wrote for RTD and for Moffat always felt to me like he was aping their styles (usually not all that successfully) and I used to complain about that, but given when he had his own way he brought in the Timeless Child nonsense, maybe that wasn't a bad thing!

I still think he had a lot to offer in terms of production, in that he seems to be very good at putting together very talented cast and crew, and has some very high-minded ideas, it's just that unfortunately he's also doing the majority of the writing and it's the weakest part of his contributions to Who.

Has anything come out about behind the scenes issues with his era? I know there were a lot of backstage issues with RTD and Moffat, but I haven't been paying attention lately.

If he is good at wrangling production, it's a strong as argument as any to ditch the showrunner model and go back to an Executive Producer and Script Editor. If Chibnall had taken on the John Nathan-Turner role of logistics, cast relations, hiring crew, getting filming locations, being a public facing cheerleader, and dealing with network suits, it would let an RTD focus on pure creative.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

He destroyed one of the Nine Gallifreys made during the Time War as decoys for the Daleks.

:hmmyes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Calling The_Doctor and all McGann fans:

https://www.moviejawn.com/home/2022/11/28/doctor-who-am-i-examines-a-lesser-loved-incarnation-of-the-beloved-franchise

Documentary on the 1996 movie and the guy who wrote it, featuring McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, and examination of American Who fans, and a shout out to Big Finish.

Turns out the writer is the son of the guy who played Doc Holliday on The Gunfighters. I didn't know that.

I want to watch this, though I'm not sure where, as when they say it's appearing on "Streaming" that's a bit vague...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some call it a classic!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timelash is so great you have to watch it in one setting. You can try to pause, but those who do, do it with a screeeeeeam!

Actually if you think about it, they really got some great scenery chewing guest stars to go up against Colin, like Paul Darrow and Brian Blessed. Casting was in point in that era!

Also Timelash is the story that got me hooked on Who. I'd seen The Three Doctors one random afternoon when I was like 7, but when I was 9 or so I had a tv in my room. I was already heavy into Star Trek since the previous summer, and was flipping around the channels at 9pm when I hit PBS and saw this sci-fi show with giant crystals and HG Wells and I immediately realized this needed to be paid attention to. Started watching every week and buying any books I could find. Since then, my two favorite franchises bar none are ST and DW, nearly 40 years on. Still feels like yesterday.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just figured out how RTD is goint to top Moffat's 50th for the 60th.

The first anniversary special was the 10 year.

He'll hearken back to that.

The 14th Doctor
meets

The 10th Doctor
meets

The Metacrisis Doctor

in

THE THREE DOCTORS II
starring

David Tennant!

:haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rosa would have been better if the villain hadn't been somebody from Captain Jack's era who was still specifically racist against black people at a time when most humans were accepting of interspecies sex. It implies that this one sort of prejudice is so bad and ingrained into humanity it will never go away. Which is a pretty hopeless thing. Also that changing one specific part of the civil rights movement would be a butterfly effect that would usher in White Utopia.

Can't get behind the Mary Shelley one due to the retcon of one of the great companions of Eight.

Demons of the Punjab and The Witchfinders were fantastic though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Besides, Britain has plenty of its own issues with racism that DW could be addressing, like when Ace discovered the "NO COLOUREDS" sign in the window way back in "Remembrance of the Daleks". The show doesn't need to go across the pond to do a "racism is bad and here's a historical example of why" story.

That was a powerful moment and one of the best social commentaries in the show. It was far better to show things how they were, then try to shoehorn in "but actshually there COULD have been a black soldier in Queen Victoria's time" or "we'll have a middle ages village look like modern London with all ethnicities so it looks like now for the viewers" instead of talking about how things really were at the time. Can you imagine if they did Marco Polo now and had white people (not in yellowface, just actual white people) in ancient China and say "well there's lots of white people there in now in places like Hong Kong, so..."

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the thing, we can't assume that racism will be gone in the future. We can hope it will be but if the last several years have taught me anything it's that irrational hatreds have a way of clinging on for dear life.

And this I'm fine with, and it's important. Showing predjudice can and will still exist even in enlightented societies of the future is a good commentary on our present. It was that specific choice which was jarring. That said, the moment where they had to suck it up and let the bad part of history happen and Graham had to pretend to be racist for history to play out was suitably uncomfortable and moving. The Doctor knows sometimes you can't just kill Hitler (though you can put him in the cupboard).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

This is weird to read since that is clearly the worst episode of all doctor who

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Didn't realize the main thread would be on this, but I suppose it'd be unavoidable to even the most spoiler averse.

Like I said in the spoiler thread, I like it. The patterns are pretty cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

...in particular, mentioning how Marter's novelization of The Rescue had some severe editing done as he'd decided to open the book with an enthusiastic and none-too-subtle description of the act of fellatio.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'd be delighted if Moffat came back to write a story here and there. One of my few regrets re: the Moffat era was that RTD never got to just come back and JUST be a writer for the show. Though he did do that delightful 11th Doctor episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures, which if I remember right Moffat described as:

RTD: Do you mind if I write the 11th Doctor into a SJA story?
Moffat: Of course! Do whatever you like, I'm sure it'll be great!
RTD: The story is called The Death of the Doctor.
Moffat: Sounds great, can't wai.... wait, WHAT!?!

:allears:

RTD: :smug:

Also I've developed a Controversial Theory about 14: he's not the 14th Doctor, he's the Valeyard, and 15 has to come and defeat him at the end.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Maybe the reason Ten didn't want to regenerate was not wanting to wear those heavy robes

Although McCoy's looks very comfortable

Once again, Sylvester shows up in his street clothes and they roll with it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The real problem will occur after Russell leaves. Unless his retirement plan is to be the Feige or Kennedy of the "Doctor Who Universe" for the next 30 years, someone will take over and they may not have the juice to say no to studio notes.

I never got the impression he was doing anything more than coming in for a couple of years to steady the ship. He seems like as much as he loves DW, he's someone with too many other creative ideas to sit in one place long.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

After taking a break from Doctor Who stuff to read REAL LITERATURE* I've curated a small selection of 8th Doctor Adventures to read, and hoo boy Alien Bodies has some wild-rear end poo poo in it. Time Lords may come out of looms, but TARDISes? TARDISes gently caress. TARDISes gently caress and make baby TARDISes because they're trying to create genetically diverse TARDISes so that they can't all be wiped out with a single virus. Also, one of the TARDISes is a woman and a Time Lord travels around inside of her, and yes, I've checked the author page three times and Steven Moffat didn't write it.

*Hunchback of Notre-Dame, solid 8/10; Lolita, utter work of genius, shame everybody missed the point, including me when I was 17, 10/10

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Doctor Who: TARDISes? TARDISes gently caress.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

I never understood why it didn't occur to them that they didn't need to use the prop if it didn't work right. The character is literally a shapeshifter who can look like anyone!

Shapeshifters were always underutilized due to technology in the 80s and 90s, look at Odo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

From the gross food thread:

click through to see the context

Meant to post this ITT but didn't hit back enough time:

Please tell me someone has tweeted that to Sean Pertwee for confirmation...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Robert J. Omb posted:

Does that cover feature all the Doctors… and Adric?

Is Adric a secret incarnation of the Doctor?

Probably for the best I posted this after Chibnall stepped down.

Bonus points for including both 10 and 14, minus for not including Fugitive, score 0.

Minus eleventy billion for not including the Morbius Doctors

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Poor stage Doctor :ohdear:

Now THAT is a deep cut!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Ages ago when I first discovered Who, I tried to watch what was out there in chronological order and found there was literally no way to do that legally, (or even easily via :filez:) so I never got to do it.

Is it easier now?

The way I watched Classic was like this:

One PBS station was showing 6th Doctor episodes and was on Timelash-in the US they showed 90 minute edits of the whole story. Next week was Revelation of the Daleks, then since that was the newest episode...they started over at An Unearthly Child. I watched all the way through the first couple episodes of Tom Baker before I moved. When new seasons came out from the UK, they'd show them and dip back to the old run when done, so I saw everything up to the end of Sylvester "live" Meanwhile another PBS station was in the middle of Davison, and I saw that back through to Colin. And when I went to my grandmother's for a month, her PBS stations were in the middle of the Key To Time arc of Tom.

So there's really no "right" way to watch the old stuff.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Animated Adventures of Six and Frobisher, coming soon

Animated Doctor Who would be great because a la Big Finish, all the living actors could play their younger selves. But if you wanted a Lower Decks style comedy, 6 and Frobisher would work great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Payndz posted:

"Look, all I ever wanted was to be in charge of writing a science fiction show where I could put a morally compromised man of violence who shoots lots of people at the centre of the action.

And then I ended up as script editor of Doctor Who. WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME, FATE?"

In a parallel universe where Blake's 7 went on a few more years...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Despite that bit of credits blasphemy, I will die on the hill that the 90 minute PBS edits are a great way to experience the original series, and if they were available now more new fans might watch the old episodes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I remember as a reader of the NAs as they came out "live", wishing they would move on and advance the character by regenerating him. This was before the TV Movie and the idea that there could be a new series that continued in the continuity of the old. Not seeing that as even a slight possibility, I imagined a world where the novels continued on with the last Doctor for 20 years becoming ossified and losing steam.

I think had the TV movie not happened, it would have been the right move. There were some times when the novels really put the Doctor through the ringer and seemed to hint they were going to do it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

What the hell did they do to Davros' voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lyjC11bY8E

Is there a version in the original German? :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Well theres this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VujXTkjxp0c

The Doctor is spot on and Davros is pretty good though lacking any kind of ring modulation. The daleks dont sound great, but thats probably because they sound like they're yelling into a metal trashcan and the BBC didn't provide different audio tracks for the effects.

Davros ranting in German is :discourse:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Miles owns. He wasn't wrong about BF spelling doom for the novels, as sales plummeted during rhe Gary Russel BF era (though he did work for BF on several occasions). He's a fractious dude with mental health issues, but his writing is tight and interesting, and is probably still one of the most influential writers from that period, and he got on with a subset of writers within the range -- many ideas from the RTD and Moffat eras came from him originally. (Moffat's acknowledged the influence, I believe, while RTD has not -- but Miles was the actual guy behind the Time War).

I don't think Miles is edgy so much as a scab picker; a lot of his writing was an attempt to critique qnd address the racial / colonial aspects of Doctor Who. YMMV on how successful he was, but he and many of the writers who've worked with him have, unarguably, made the most sustained attempt to critique Who's entanglement in Whiteness. (Ironically, he hated both the PoC companions he wrote for, citing Roz as a fascist -- not wrong -- and Anji as a Tory -- ditto -- and so did his best to avoid them).

But yeah, a lot of the work written by him and inspired by his stuff was an attempt to grapple with cultural hegemony by durectly targeting Doctor Who continuity, on the logic that the series was inherently compromised thanks to the environment in which it was created (again, not wrong). In that sense, he's similar to Alan Moore, in that he had an anarchist's interests in addressing the formal conventions of the series he was so fascinated with, with an aim to reconstruct texts rather than just deconstruct then. For instance, a lot of his works imply that the Timelords adherence to continuity and the unchanging skein of history ("the web of time") is actually just propaganda. It's a way of cementing their colonisation of the universe, and all their bluster about protecting the universe from collapse is total bullshit destined to maintain their powerbase. It's Manifest Destiny on a universal scale.

Killing the Third Doctor in What Happened on Dust wasn't, IMO, edge for the sake of edge, but an attempt to talk about continuity, narrative, shared worlds, and the way societies create and disrupt history, etc. It was meant to spawn a bunch of really cool things -- a fourth Doctor adaptation of Planet of The Spiders based on Planet of the Apes (literally, "Beneath The Planet Of The Spiders").

He was also visionary, in his own way. This Town Will Never Let Us Go is all about how depressing algorithm generated storytelling is, snd his fear that Hollywood was going to become obsessed with fracnhises and remakes, and it came out in 2003.

Cool guy. A difficult person -- beyond also being a "difficult" person -- and a very angry writer, but also a strong leftist with a belief in challenging the system and standing up for what he believed it.

I think the case could be made for Miles being a Harlan Ellison figure in DW. Iconoclastic, divisive, but even his haters can't deny his talents and stubborn integrity.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sometimes voice actors don't translate well to live action, and sometimes BF needs to slow their roll costuming them for pics and promos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, to be honest I'm a little iffy on calling 10 14 since he's clearly just 10 again (that we've seen so far!), but if that's what they call him I'll go with it. War (between 8 & 9) and Fugitive (between 2 & 3) have always stood apart in their descriptions so even if the numbering doesn't technically make sense, Eccleston is still 9, Tennant 10, Smith 11, Capaldi 12, Whittaker 13 etc.

Is this fanon consensus now to retcon the weirder parts of the Chibnall plot, or just you? I've been a bit out of the loop on that stuff. :shrug:

I mean, I think it would work as well as anything to keep Jo Martin's Doctor around but bypass that "1000 previous Doctors oh and also he's not Gallifreyan" mess.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's because Tennant was the most popular by far of the revival series Doctors; even Smith and Moffat's era was basically just them building on what Tennant and RTD had achieved before them. They're not bringing Tennant back because he was the only one they could get, they're bringing him back because he's the one people want to see.

I'm also going to cop to a nagging suspicion that Tennant coming back is going to be hugely successful ratings-wise, and that the ratings success is going to largely be due to Tennant; and that when people (who are less terminally online than us, anyways) realize he isn't going to be the Doctor full-time again, the ratings are going to experience a decline. I think it's very much a case of RTD potentially shooting the new Doctor in the foot by bringing back an older and much more popular one first, instead of letting the new guy carry the show on his own, as all the other actors who played the Doctor got the chance to do before him. I could also be completely 100% wrong. Time will tell.

I believe and trust RTD 100%. Even if 10/Rose got a bit twee, and his era did have some issues. The guy knows how to do great tv, knows how to do great Doctor Who, and if he says Ncuti is gonna be good (and that the public will feel the same) I'm gonna give him a dimensionally transcendental benefit of the doubt. He's not coming back to DW to gently caress it up.

Eiba posted:

10 and 11 were very much both Doctors for horny people.