Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

I hate to say this, but moving Thomas and Kyrou for a haul of picks is probably the best way forwardit).

So few things

Yeah blues are having a bad start

Yeah they played a bit above what they’re punching weight is for sure last year. I had them as either a wild card or missing the playoffs barely last year

That said, they’re still at the least still at wildcard level. They’re defense is a tire fire and Greiss is not a great backup are they’re main two weaknesses.

Also, I know you’re more saying “should” versus “what will happen,” but there’s no way they move on from Thomas and Kyrou. They just signed the contracts. Kyrou is still a bit in the air, but Thomas is worth the contract IMO.

Blues aren’t gonna tank. And the big miss is they already signed all the bad contracts. So they’re kind of stuck with going for it.

IMO they’re gonna keep either making or barely missing the playoffs , and when they make it their ceiling is 2nd round tops. Sucks, but could be worse I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

I'm not counting out the Blues in the Central either. They're not winning the division this year, but they seem to be playing worse than expected which means it's probably going to level out and they're going to be a pain in the rear end for divisional games. I could see them finishing in 3rd perhaps, the central is feeling a bit soft at the moment and I don't really expect it to last.

100% agreed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

The Blues are going to perpetually around the 7th or 8th seed for the future as a ceiling. Their defense is incredibly bad and poorly constructed and they need a high powered offense to overcome that. Right now, guys are regressing to the mean over a two year period which is going to result in a lot of ugly losses. They'll go on a tear later and be fighting for a playoff spot until the end of the season (this would be more pronounced if they played in the East where they'd be facing a much steeper hill to climb), but that's only going to get harder as the years go on with no reliable replacements coming. If the contracts could be moved or didn't exist, this wouldn't be as concerning since they could sign some aging-out-of-prime player to keep the ship afloat.

But they do exist and they're not going to be easy to move (requiring further depletion of draft picks), so right now it's like watching a ship sinking slowly with nothing being done to try and fix it. It's a bummer and I try to enjoy the games where they look like they're playing well, but I'm realistic about what's going down with them over the next five years

So what you’re saying is YOLO let’s loving go .

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

the bruins are stupid good

Extremely unfortunate and proof that we live in the hell timeline.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

5 years $5 mil AAV.

But he’s hard to play against. Teams come in not wanting to play someone like him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Bruins are never going to lose again. 50 goals in 11 games already good lord.

This is extremely upsetting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

their only loss came on the second night of a back to back against a team playing their home opener, and they still scored 5 goals in that loss

This is extremely upsetting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Ohio state does not give one single gently caress about anything other than football and that includes all their other sports.

Unrelated but holy poo poo Gary with a good opinion??

https://twitter.com/miketgould/status/1588942911642927105?s=46&t=SItIEepQD9K8MJ3A7wCc1g

Man, you know it’s something horrific when even Gary loving Bettman is like “no we won’t touch this.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Geech posted:

What exactly would the Bruins need to do if they wanted to back out of this? Buy out Mitchell's contract?

Only one real solution: close down the franchise. Just stop having them be a team. Makes sense to me, and I am all for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/3758285/2022/11/03/canadiens-arber-xhekaj/?source=user_shared_article

One day, however, his manager had enough of Xhekaj not being available to work.

“I did have a lot of lates because I was coming from hockey,” Xhekaj said. “Yeah, I told them, I would text them like, ‘Hey I’m running a little late, coming from hockey.’ It’s tough to go home, eat and buzz to work. Sometimes I was late, but (my manager) said I was leading all employees in lates.

“She was mad that I had hockey and I wasn’t making Costco more of a priority. I don’t think she fully understood what level I was at.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AltitudeTV/status/1589271195127812096?s=20&t=2_fnKH7tWJ31VbPXAddUAQ

loving goddamn burn.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1589682986647048194?s=46&t=pHwn0ZtejDffOwa1m2a-cA

Luckily Vanecek has been really solid since his first start. Still not great though even if it's probably only like 4-7 weeks.

Isn’t it good for New Jersey that he doesn’t play ? As in he is not a good goalie ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Isentropy posted:

Yeah it wasn't a one off thing. This isn't "14 year old steals car" it's 14 year old tortures mentally disabled Black kid for months

Literally years. Like it’s insanely bad, and it’s insane that he shows no remorse for it.

Like, I feel guilty if I give a customer wrong info and they’re out $100 or something. I can’t imagine doing purposeful torture of another kid (let alone minority and disabled) and then literally just not even being willing to do even a fake apology.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lazerwolf posted:

Is anyone happy with Risto’s game?

Chuck Fletcher.

Zodijackylite posted:

I looked at Chris Neil's career stats and wondered what prompted him getting a by-far-career-high 13:52 TOI in 2012-13 at age 33. I checked their roster and wondered how bad the team was that he was a third-liner who got 1:26 per game in power play time good for ninth in ice time among forwards, and who got bumped down to the fourth line because of him - it's the guy who currently leads the league in power play goals: Mika Zibanejad

This is hilarious.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

As a predators fan, I personally am the biggest victim on earth of the egregious Duchene offsides and imo it was hilarious.

I will never not be mad about game 1 of the 2017 Cup Finals.

Enterprise must have opened an office in New Jersey.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Team North America with both McDavid and Mathews (and Eichel).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It was time to sleep. Anyways I just wrote a bunch of :words: but deleted them again..and again....and now a 3rd time. In very un-Rex fashion it's going to be real short and sweet.

Mods, institute a rule requiring Rex to post a minimum of 8 paragraphs for every analysis post.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/_TyAnderson/status/1591921607966355457
White sweaters vs. white sweaters. Great for keeping track of who is who in a fast-paced game. They're not THAT similar, but still.

Only solution: shirts versus skins.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wonderllama posted:

i cant tell id i prefer when the penguins are good and everyone wont stop posting about them, or when they are bad and everyone wont stop posting about them. no wait, clearly if the posting wont stop i also want the penguins to do poorly because i find it super easy to dislike the penguins as a team and the animal

This but if the Penguins get Bedard I will be very, very upset.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Caps aren’t gonna poo poo can Lavy because the owner is cheap and won’t want to pay for two coaches. Dude wouldn’t give Trotz a raise after he won them the frickin Cup.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

It wouldn't be accurate to say Bylsma was a bad coach. He was like having no coach at all.

Cynical take, but Probably 50% of NHL teams would benefit from having no coach versus having a bad coach.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm not sure letting players call their own lines is a good idea. Connor would still have Kassian and Lucic as his line mates

Ok this is a really good point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

I kinda feel bad for DeBrincat because he was brought in to be a 40+ goal scorer and is currently tied with Colin White on Florida with 5. I can understand that he’s shooting below his career sh% but gently caress man, at least hit the net instead of missing wide

Giroux on the other hand has been perfect, even better than expected. I love when they show him yelling at the rest of these losers on the bench when they’re getting crushed

….Girioux has a lot of experience yelling at losers on his own bench while losing :negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Can he just retire already so I can stop liking Boston players?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, it must be because of all the trans people that no one will gently caress me!

Shooter McGavin also made an appearance:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Is there even a bad Hughes? The Caps got smoked by one last night.

According to Jack Hughes’ wiki page, apparently not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

I did not forget about him, but unless he has some siblings making the top leagues he is just yet another singleton.

But yes, it did not escape me that we're in an era where Jewish NHLers are better than Jewish MLBers, which is not something I expected in my lifetime.

Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pseudodragon posted:

Are there others besides the Hugheses, Fox and Hyman?

https://www.jta.org/2022/10/07/sports/all-of-the-jewish-nhl-players-to-watch-this-season

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I see that and think Giroux was really checked out at the end of his flyers stint, eh?

Actually no. It’s def worth mentioning that G had really really good overall stats for the Flyers for like, the past 3 years, and was dragged down because of how loving awful the team has been.

It really is more G succeeded in spite of the dog poo poo team he played on” more then the opposite for sure. It’s a loving shame honestly. Go Sens, G deserves to have a decent team to play with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Whoever is putting Deslauries on the third line is desperate.

$2 million for 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Tony DeAngelo is a piece of poo poo and deserved the rear end kicking.