Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

I will say I had absolutely no belief that Tage Thompson this year, so I am able to say I was wrong.

I watched him score a nice deke goal against Edmonton a few weeks ago, and I know it's Edmonton, but I was really surprised as I watched.

I have been on board since last year purely on eye test, he just has crazy hands and skating for a dude his size. I'm sure he's not gonna shoot 15% forever but man you always notice him if you're a sick sick hockey fan who watches Buffalo Sabres games

e: Buffalo creeping up that xGF% -- I guess 45+ shots in three straight games will do that (against the Devils special of Detroit/Chicago/Montreal, but hey you've gotta cave the bad teams). Buffalo and Ottawa seem to be separating themselves from Detroit, that's for sure. Detroit doesn't look much better than Montreal even.

If these early results hold up a little bit, I think the playoff race is going to be much more competitive this year. Montreal, Detroit, Philadelphia and Columbus are really the only teams that I'd be surprised to see in it (pending Carter Hart reverting from Dom Hasek status). And even then, the only one of those that looks worse than last season is Columbus.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are only three teams in the East with a negative goal differential and one of them is Toronto :stonk:

e: and I don't mean this as "lol Toronto" although that's always appropriate, it's just drat for a conference that was so stratified last year, it looks so much closer this year

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 1, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He likes their goaltending a lot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Palat out a while

https://twitter.com/Harjas_Grewal/status/1587527499147546624

Should be more doomer about it and I'm sure I'll get there if the Devils look like poo poo on the Pacific trip like they always do but Zetterlund has been incredibly good so far

e: I guess they have the space for the Meier trade now :science:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
we need a spear in the nuts there from Matthews at least, Malkin cross check to the face, Kessel windup, something

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think Matthews could pull off the Kovalev skating elbow pretty easily too, he's the perfect size for it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Strategically it's a bad idea for Auston Matthews to get into fights because the matching majors will always be a good tradeoff for the opposing team to remove Matthews from his next two shifts.

The alternative of goading the other guy into slashing/crosschecking/whatever for a free power play is attractive on its face but also risks injury, and Matthews' wrist is already hosed. Plus it doesn't actually gain much in the long run since the refs are there to Call An Even Game.

have you taken into consideration that it's really cool when a star player nearly decapitates some guy getting in his face

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

True. IF you're a mega star you don't fight, you just do ridiculously dirty stuff to hurt people because you can get away with it and THEN you laugh

the goat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDm8qjmEcA&t=24s

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
also would be cool to see Auston pull the Kovy vs Schenn but we can't all be beasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aywypSGFDwo

goddamn he was so strong

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

beautiful

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
other things Mike Rupp can help Auston Matthews with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LRvzN9AFw&t=1s

the above will require the successful completion of (3) playoff rounds however

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thought the Devils gave up way too many high danger chances tonight to Edmonton but it was a cool win -- Edmonton probably should have closed out the game in the 2nd tho.

Hopefully Blackwood isn't broken. Vanecek is playing solid but I trust him way more in a 1A/1B kind of thing, although apparently Bernier is on the trip with the team so maybe his hip is ready ???

e: Brendan Smith played 8 minutes tonight and got abused by McDavid at least twice (the second one they just let him get away with a blatant hook). I get that he's a veteran presence, but Bahl has one great game and one mediocre one and he's immediately out, why not at least rotate the two? Severson can carry the mail for either of them and Bahl has had some really solid efforts.

Also, Tatar has been excellent this year. Dude is a beast in one on one battles and brings some much needed poise to the Devils forwards beyond Bratt/Hughes/Hischier/etc. With a little more puck luck he'd probably have 4 or 5 goals this year, he's been great. 78.8% on ice expected GF%! -- I believe that's best in the league among forwards atm. It's weird that a lot of Devils fans don't like his effort, just zero clue about the game - I don't even know how you'd come to that conclusion from the eye test. Winning a lot of puck battles and holding on to pucks that other Devils middle six forwards fling away (that delay and drop on the Graves goal tonight for instance) is apparently not good because uhhh he hits the post a lot

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 4, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

The same is true of the Penguins so the Devils and Flyers might both actually make the playoffs this year.

it's definitely not gonna be the Flyers unless Carter Hart has become the reincarnation of Hasek, the Islanders/Senators/Sabres are certainly possible though.

Isles have been on a roll since the Devils lit them up. I'd still bet on the Pens if I had to though.

After the massive 10 game sample size I'm thinking:

1. Boston
2. Carolina
3. Rangers
4. Florida
5. Toronto
6. New Jersey
7. Tampa Bay
8. Pittsburgh
9. Islanders
10. Washington
11. Ottawa
12. Buffalo
13. Detroit
14. Montreal
15. Columbus
16. Philadelphia

with like 6-12 (maybe even 4-12) being a hell of a lot closer than last year. Devils/Rangers playoff series could definitely be a thing this year

e: Devils/Oilers shots were 43-37 in regulation last night :stare: ---- that is a lot for my low event heart

Twin Cinema posted:

It is interesting to me that McDavid has never led the league in goals. In the COVID year, he came in 2nd (8 goals behind Matthews), and he has a 4 other top-10 finishes, but never 1st. It is just interesting to me because he has an elite S%, and is always leading the league in points. I would have thought he would have led for one year.

Maybe this is the year, as he is currently on pace for 89 goals. I say he does it.

Kinda interesting that Crosby had a similar breakout goals year (well nothing like this absurd pace, but he won the Rocket) in 2009-2010, and was pacing for even more the next year until he got hurt. Pls stay safe Connor

drat I forgot Sid won the Rocket again in 2017 with only 44??? What a weird season for goal scorers.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 4, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Michkov is in the VHL for some reason and here's a thing he did.

https://twitter.com/Hockey_Robinson/status/1588253065312100352

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

I guess it's better than the alternative of giving him 6 mins TOI in the KHL like happens to a half-dozen top prospects every year and yet hardly anybody complains that they're being Shane Wright'ed.

It's more that you expect alleged franchise dudes from Russia to play in their top mens league ala Malkin/Ovi/Kovy/etc although physically he's a much different player than those guys so I can see the argument there.

The Dirty Burger posted:

The 2023 draft being stacked is a nice cushion to fall back on now that the Sens snapped back to reality after the summer of Pierre didn’t address the black hole at defense and Zaitsev is back to playing 20 minutes a night

All of the top-4 picks could be top liners, insane

Yeah the top 4 guys project as not only first liners but elite-franchise first liners right now. Now who knows, one or more of them could certainly bust. The last draft where the top 4 all reallllly hit was like 1997: Jumbo, Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Bobby Lou. Although 2015 is probably a better comparison with McDavid/Eichel/Marner and Dylan Strome (if Rantanen or Meier go in that top 4, that's a real good comparison to what we're potentially looking at here).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 4, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

The other day, Scott Wheeler said any player in the top-3 projected to be drafted in 2023 would be number-one locks in the past three drafts. Even Carlsson would have been in the conversation.

He also said he doesn't know if he'd rank Slafkovsky over the guys in the 5-8 range in 2023, but he was low on him to begin with.

he also made a rude comment about Simon Nemec and I hate him

but yeah Nemec has been a bit quiet to start the year in the AHL. I don't think he ever had the top end explosiveness that Luke Hughes has, but I wonder how long it will take him to start pumping out those outlet assists. If he struggles in his first AHL year the Devils might be scrambling a bit for a third pair RHD next year. There's no way they can extend Severson, some team is gonna pay him like 5m+ easy (probably more like 6m+) to be their #4.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

Have you read negative reports on Nemec? It's not like you can really tell how well a Dman is playing just by looking at points or +/-

eh really just the Wheeler thing to be honest, and even that was very mild and unsubstantiated -- I haven't heard much else. There are some people who watch Utica who says he is looking solid, if not flashy/explosive.

This is from a dude who watches a lot of Utica:

quote:

Nemec is getting a lot of ice time. He is paired with a steady LHD in Tyler Wotherspoon at even strength. He quarterbacks the 2nd PK unit which features two defensemen but Robbie Russo takes the position of a one time shot option from the left circle while Nemec is at the blue line. He is also getting time on the PK.

Nothing really jumps out at me watching him play but nothing really jumps out at me in a negative way either which is a complement for an 18 year old rookie playing in his first professional North American league. If I didn't know before hand he was an 18 year old kid, I would not have guessed it base on his play.

Last night he made some nice subtle plays with his stick and skates in the defensive zone but I really didn't see him drive the offense either which is what people are expecting to see from such a high draft choice. He needs time. A very young kid a long way from home playing against much older players.

e: The thing with Nemec is a lot of people were pumping him up because his production was so nuts for a very young d-man in the Slovakian top league. So there's going to be some sweating if that same (or some equivalent) production doesn't happen in the AHL.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 4, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Silence of the Clams

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It was annoying me a bit that Dano kept saying the Devils were looking to steal a point or whatever. Calgary had a good push in the second but the Devils should have won that in regulation. Powerplay was just absolute garbage and it almost cost them a point.

e: holy poo poo does Columbus really have a 6% PP with Gaudreau and Laine?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's just crazy looking at how the Devils play and then slotting Gaudreau in there. Man that would have been nasty. Woulda cost them Palat and made things sketchy long term with guys coming off of ELCs, but I think they still could have fit Bratt fine.

Oh well. Zetterlund is looking like another late round lottery ticket for the Devils. With him and a healthy Palat the Devils actually have really solid wing depth for the first time in forever. Not sure what they're gonna do about Holtz. He's not ready but I'd be reallllly hesitant to move him unless it's like for a signed Meier or something, and that seems like a pipe dream.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 6, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I could see them moving their first maybe if they're in a really good position, but Holtz and Nemec should be untouchable unless Meier or someone like that is coming the other way signed at a reasonable cap hit which seems super unlikely. In the cap era, it's such a huge benefit to have contributors on ELCs. If Nemec, Holtz, and Luke Hughes are ready for real minutes next year, that's going to allow them to carry much needed veteran depth at forward.

Every time I hear Devils fans ready to move on from Holtz I think of Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg. Not saying Holtz is ever gonna be close to Forsberg, but he had such a great season in the AHL last year. I would imagine he goes back down soon. I'm sure they didn't want to make a move during the Western Canada trip, but I don't see the point of keeping him up any longer.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 6, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah to go full HF if Meier can be extended I make that deal. But I'm not sure he reasonably can with their current cap structure.

Although I guess if they're still playing at like a .700 points % in March everything gets crazy. Kinda doubt they're that good though. They're a good bet to make the playoffs but who knows otherwise.

Also just Palat coming back will be a big boost for the forward group, or maybe Holtz goes down, tears up the AHL again and he's a solid late season call up. Luke Hughes would be available for the playoffs Makar style!

e: god Luke Hughes instead of Brendan loving Smith

Relevant Ruff quote from before the Calgary game:

quote:

As the season progresses, so does Ruff’s outlook on his team. He’s desperately trying to bring New Jersey its first postseason berth since 2018 and thinks this year’s roster can do it. He doesn’t have much say in personnel decisions, but if the upward trend continues, Ruff believes Fitzgerald should buy at the trade deadline on March 3.

“If you’re having a great year, that’s always an option,” Ruff said. “It’s always been an option on teams I’ve coached. If you can put yourself in a really good position and you feel like you can play with the best teams and you’ve proven that up to that point, a lot of times you do try to make yourself better.”

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 6, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1589632014663438337

These and the canes flag blacks are the only good black jerseys in the league

Even sentimentalism can't save these monstrosities. Sens black #1 forever

e: well the Yotes black is great too, but honestly they should just go to that purple or barf green full time which are even greater

The Canucks skate is also very good, as is the Kings raiders ripoff from the early 90s. Pens and Bruins fine OK, history, tradition, fine, fine fine.

Actually I think that black Canucks skate is my favorite Canucks jersey, but that's probably a heavy dose of Bure nostalgia.

All the other ones are whatever to bad. The Ducks won a Cup in theirs and it fit that Pronger led team but blehhhhhh.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 7, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I knew poo poo was going to go down when NHL.com posted "Bruins sign prospect who had rights renounced by Coyotes due to bullying" as their headline when they're insanely positive about everything NHL related

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wonder how good he would have to be for teams to just be gross and eat the backlash. Deshaun Watson good seems to be the North American pro sports baseline

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Evander Kane should give you a pretty good start on that.

honestly I was amazed this wasn't Holland led to begin with

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1589682986647048194?s=46&t=pHwn0ZtejDffOwa1m2a-cA

Luckily Vanecek has been really solid since his first start. Still not great though even if it's probably only like 4-7 weeks.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t it good for New Jersey that he doesn’t play ? As in he is not a good goalie ?

He was playing pretty well lately tbh, and yeah he's a better option than what they've got in the AHL.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/ErikaWachter/status/1590020887671369732

Better than I expected tbh

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Blueger getting back in seems like a real solid boost for the Pens and that 73% PK.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Devils played pretty bad and Calgary probably deserved to win. Somehow they're getting this though from Vanecek lately:

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1590191422027665408

Also Calgary was playing some straight up 2003 hockey last night, as a Devils fan it was terrifying, but also as a Devils fan it was nostalgic. They reminded me of like the Dan McGillis Flyers or something

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If you can't tell the difference between a puck not going over the goal line and a goal called off because it was scored like 30 seconds after a barely offsides play or called off because a guy being offside who had nothing to do with the play then lol

Also we're talking about ice hockey, one of the most inconsistently refereed sports in the world. The standard of interference/hooking/holding that is allowed from game to game is insanely volatile and effects the game (and more importantly the quality of the game) to a much greater degree.

At most offsides should only be reviewable within 10 seconds of the offsides and only if the offsides player is directly involved in the scoring play. That or abolish it. There's nothing subjective about either of those solutions. Everyone will get hosed equally and we'll get rid of the tediousness of every piece of poo poo coach looking at his ipad after every cool goal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils scored a lovely grindy goal that was called off 29 seconds after an offsides against Calgary. It's such an awful rule

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

nah it's good

example of a good review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upDmq_Yc6s0

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mennoknight posted:

I'm not opening this and assuming it's got something to do with Blake Coleman

For the like the past 15 years, every time I've turned on NHL network during the day they've been replaying the 1994 ECF.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/arhockeystats/status/1590720950219247616?s=46&t=KBrXxIVmPHu5k_jhNhE7Nw

Kid played out of his mind last night, was worth braving a hurricane for!

imagine the depth the Panthers could have if they didn't give Bob that insane contract. They're paying almost 15m for goaltending the next three years :stare:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Just reviewing it on goal scoring plays is already subjective though, it's a very specific review interpretation. It's not reviewed on plays that lead to a penalty, or a defensive zone draw, or for any other reason. rear end in a top hat 1's offside that leads a to a defensive zone penalty that leads to a goal is gonna count 100% of the time.

So if you're already allowing for some amount of subjectivity, then it would be very easy to limit offsides reviews to plays that directly lead to a goal. IE - player is involved in the scoring play and the goal is within 10 seconds of the offsides. That or get rid of it because who gives a poo poo I'm sick of seeing Sutter hunched over his bench like a goblin looking into an ipad

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 10, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also and this is just anecdotal but I'm pretty sure linesmen are leaning way the gently caress more into "this is onside" because of the review rule, knowing that if they're wrong it's gonna get fixed anyway so why prevent a scoring play?

I guess one of the few game flow benefits from this dumb rear end review system

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

They're sister organizations.

alright that's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Is anyone going to beat New Jersey?

if they're going with AHL goaltending for a while I'd say yes

e: https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1590906124609671173

hell yeah just a concussion then

Also I'm 100% positive Ruff and the staff has told Jack not to go into corners this year on pucks where he has the chance to get hit. You can visibly see him trying to protect himself and not be the first man in if he has a chance of getting touched. I agree with the strategy tbh, it's just really funny to see in the NHL

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2022