Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its time to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler before he can get started. This is our 1939 moment.

Please ignore how literally every attempt by the United States to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler has ended in millions dead and nations in ruins. Those other times were oopsies and not even our fault, the communists were to blame! This time its 100% real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I don't think bringing all of Ukraine back into the fold was ever a strategic goal for Russia, and even if Russia were to somehow magically win a total victory tomorrow I don't think trying to govern the western 2/3rds of the country is worth the headache for them. If I were guessing, I'd say Russia might try to take Odessa and Kharkiv if they were on the table, but other than that digging in and holding what they have is probably their best outcome for them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sum posted:

Ukrainian command seems a lot less optimistic about taking Kherson than Twitter. Also bonus accusation that Russia soldiers are dressing up as civilians to make Ukraine look bad when they kill them. I really should make a list of all the insane things the Ukrainian side has said were false flags.

(from t.me/rezident_ua/14935, via tgsa)

Its very funny to me that Ukraine spent so much effort on destroying all the bridges across the Dnieper and now their counter attack is never going to get off the ground because someone blew up all the bridges across the Dnieper. Really looking forward to the upcoming narrative shift to where it was Russia that blew up the bridges to avoid having to face the might of Ukraine

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Imperialism is when a country coups the democratically elected leadership of a different country, installs fascists, then takes advantage of an ethnic minority noping out of the sudden shift to fascism to stoke nationalism and paranoia as a lead up to expanding a military alliance in order to have a better vantage point to harass a geopolitical rival

Imperialism is when you take actions to defend an ethnic enclave that has been under siege for eight years in violation of international treaty and to stop the expansion of a hostile military alliance into a neighboring country

Imperialism is also when you way the gently caress overshoot that goal and decide first on some nebulous 'regime change' and then on as much land as you can grab with the plan for how to govern that territory to be determined later.

Imperialism is *not* when a geopolitical power uses its influence and control over the international banking system to try and force its rivals into compliance

Imperialism *is* when a nation uses control over its own natural resources as a bargaining chip to try and force its rivals into compliance.

In short, imperialism is very complicated.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The GURPS historical books are annoyingly well researched and written for a game not intended for anyone to play.

I tried GURPS once as a young lad and hated it for being unwieldy and not particularly fun. While I was dating my future wife she gushed about a GURPS game she was in and eventually she got me to join a different GURPS group with her. It quickly became very apparent that the 'GURPS' group she liked so much was only using the books for flavor text and the occasional 3d6 roll and had homebrewed replacements for basically every other GURPS mechanic. That group dissolved the session after we had our first 'combat' encounter because nobody wanted to navigate the combat rules again.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My current D&D game revolves around the rights of artificially constructed people and the responsibilities of their creators with the underlying question of do all people deserve a cultural homeland at any cost. Its pretty good.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lessail posted:

sounds like boring nerd poo poo

We just invaded a factory in a massive battle involving dozens of allies and then murdered the poo poo out of a political rival trying to escape a devastated city after a magic 9/11

And now we're spending like two sessions on boring nerd poo poo talking about the political ramifications and the potential betrayal of a dubious ally

speng31b posted:

oh word like that every episode of star trek tng featuring data

e: sorry i dont mean to rip on your campaign that was rude / petty. i'm sure it's very good. but how horny is it

If I had to pick a star trek is DS9, because we've advanced our political cause through plausibly deniable murder pretty frequently

Not very horny during session, weirdly horny after session but they keep it to themselves

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Does your world have gods
how do the gods feel about the usurpation of their divine provenance?

The gods are metaphors that don't do personal interventions

We do have a church faction that believes endless war is a necessary engine to generate heroes who can then be sacrificed to defend the world from eldritch threats though.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bees individually are weak, but a hive of bees working together could take a dragon I think. Just sting inside its mouth a lot. Or maybe its allergic like that kid in My Girl.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

RIP OK Baizou, thought of the Ghost of Kyiv and died

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gurps is good, actually

Disagree. GURPS is a good set of sourcebooks and ways to quantize things, its a miserable game system to actually play outside of the core 3d6 mechanic

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

speng31b posted:

nah dude, Morgoth's gone by that point. Just a spirit floating in the void. At that time Sauron is his successor, not his minion

Its refreshing that at no point does Sauron hatch a plan to bring his master back. gently caress that guy, he's gone and probably never coming back, also the gods have abandoned the world so Sauron can pretty much do whatever so long as he can avoid the classic blunder of over reach.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I watched like the first 20 minutes of the new Top Gun but it was worse than Morbius. Was the place they were gonna bomb Russia?

Subjecting a plane load of people to Morbius is the real war crime IMO.

The entire movie is about bombing not-Iran before they can get nukes

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

the ring doesn't even have any power. It's purely a lacanian icongraphy that itself is the symbiosis of power by desire of it's power as an icon in the real. that's what gives it's power, not intrinsic property of the ring, but rather the cartesian projection of the eikon

Sure, but do you think if Boromir put on the ring it'd give him a giant schlong?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

well if he put it on his penis it'd cut off hte circulation and make it look pretty big yeah

Excuse me, but the ring automatically resizes to fit the wearer, unless it *wants* to slip off. Boromir could easily wear the ring snugly on his penis unless he was in the presence of some orcs who would take the ring back to Sauron. Do you even know the lore?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Elon killing twitter is going to rule when NAFO disappears with it

How much of Ukraine could Elon have bought with that $44 billion?

That privatization site is rough. No matter what the military outcome of the war is Ukraine has already lost. They're going to be in debt peonage for generations with every piece of infrastructure and natural resource auctioned off to foreign capital.

Probably should have just not bombed the Donbas for eight years or tried to call in NATO as your shield. Now your country is double mortgaged, idiots

Megamissen posted:

im cat boy (retired)

and I'm a crystal therapist. We have a budget of $6 million and we're looking to buy a fixer upper regional thermal power plant

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Nov 4, 2022

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao. from that privatization site

the game was rigged from the start

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Using birds to intercept missiles seems cruel

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Here are two images that might go together somehow. I was thinking a gif with one frame having the state property logo and 'help fund Ukraine's reconstruction' or 'exciting goon project opportunities', then a second frame with 'brought to you by' and finally a third frame with the usaid logo, then have the gif be a link to the site.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its a little more, uh, aggressive

E: wow, paint devoured a lot of pixels. I am not a good graphics design person

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 03:31 on Nov 5, 2022

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Making me do all this extra work of removing a letter :mad:

Anyways yeah, probably better without the usaid tagline unless any of you funny guys think of something.

Yours is much better. Although the logo on the privatization site has 'from the American people' on it and makes it much funnier, to me

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

honing my boundless anger and resentment into a potent psychic blade... I need a coven to guide my curse through the astral plane and strike true at Putler's black heart

Something Awful should not advocate for doing battle on the astral plane, lest you find a powerful hex brought down on the website. Jeffrey cannot afford 24/7 psychic protection for the servers, and he's had one visit from MAGUSA already. I beg you to stand down, or at least not post about your mind blade on the forums

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

obviously the oil/gas/minerals are the key here but I appreciate the implication that we should seize this island to deprive Russia of valuable polar bear dens and walruses

It sounds like Russia might be a better caretaker of the island than the US could ever be though.

Nobody tell me if the Russians are ruthlessly exploiting the island and murdering all the polar bears for luxury rugs, I want to pretend they're having fun, swimming around and eating walruses.

gently caress walruses though

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

I’m cheering for Ukraine

While many of you are likely yelling "GO UKRAINE" or "GO PUTIN!" I'm yelling "GO ROBERT MUELLER and the rule of law!"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

speng31b posted:

prove you deserve it, make the tankiest post you can think of

Stalin did one thing wrong: he didn't go hard enough and it cost him everything :ussr:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The thing that always cracks me up about the Afghanistan 'rebuilding' effort was that the US paid protection money to local warlords, including the Taliban, for their contractors to not build anything. The US also dumped money into ghost projects that basically went directly into warlord slush funds because they rarely verified if the money was actually being used for its stated purpose. So not only was the primary funder of the Taliban for the last two decades very likely the US occupation force, but the US indiscriminately funding the shittier warlords also stoked Afghani resentment which kept the Taliban relevant. The US basically kept the insurgency going for two decades out of malicious incompetence. Its very funny, to me.

Any American connected to the occupation of Afghanistan should probably never mention it and hope no one ever finds out

So, I wonder who is going to be in charge of rebuilding whatever is left of Ukraine at the end of all of this? The best people, surely.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

why would an orc clan rebuild Ukraine

hmmmmm

Rend and Maim are trying to build a new Horde to challenge Putin

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Endman posted:

lmao Xi invading Russia would be the funniest way this conflict could go

I will always support Chairman Xi. If he has decided its time to bring the spirit of the worker's revolution back to Russia then I can only pray for his success.

Chairman Xi, the peoples of earth long for freedom.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Whats the official C-SPAM hierarchy of world leaders?

Xi > Putin > Hitler?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Isnt there a sovereign wealth fund that cuts checks to keep the populace happy enough to not overthrow their shitbag king, or is that old news?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

when a Republican says "Biden keeps sending your money to Ukraine", the disingenuous part is that if you vote for a Republican, they're still going to send that money to Ukraine anyway

it doesn't make them wrong to say that Biden should be spending that money fixing Flint's water pipes

As ever, the right wing is adept at pointing out the failings of our deeply hosed up system, they just aren't going to do anything about it either

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

This is going to be the new 'Russians can't make artillery shells and the guns will fall silent any day now"

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Oh yeah, I stopped paying attention for several months, how did the very smart war knowers square the circle of 'Russia will run out of shells any day now because they are stupid orcs who can only plunder the rotting storehouses of the ancients' with it being year 2 of the invasion?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to throw in here that lower-grade SKUs are not only, or even mostly, the product of salvaging flawed chips. Once processes mature and success rates go up, flawed chips go down and manufacturers start deliberately maiming chips just to have something to sell farther down the stack.

Gotta love artificial scarcity!

DancingShade posted:

Well inflation in The West [tm] doesn't seem to be abating so I imagine the rhetoric of "no it is YOU who are suffering economically the most!" will only ramp up from here.

I feel like the number of 'Inflation is because of Russia's war' news articles has gone down over time, and now its either gaslighting that there is no inflation or that inflation is due to greedy workers getting paid too much, mixed in with a small but growing number of stories that link inflation directly to corporate profits

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I imagine they felt vindicated when Russia's offensive ground to a halt a few months into the invasion

Artillery shells are famously useless in protracted trench warfare

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, that'll be the editing: most people have no idea how to tell a story and ramble back and forth all over the place. The journalist is there to assemble it into a structured narrative that people might actually want to read. It's probably been written up and put into a coherent chronological order from a bunch of hastily scribbled diary entries.

But it has probably also been slightly punched up here and there to make it flow better. "They sway in rhythm as though they are playing Wembley stadium." probably started off as something cruder and blunter but with the same general sentiment

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Sweet tea is gross imo and I havent gotten used to it 5 years in. Im pretty sure its literally more viscous than normal tea, it actually is like drinking corn syrup and the sugar content makes me physically ill

When I worked in a restaurant the sweet tea was made with a poo poo ton of sugar syrup mixed with regular black iced tea, I assume because the syrup could hold more sugar in suspension than simply adding granulated sugar. Its a vile concoction

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

wow america is so moral and cool unlike those russians and chinese

https://twitter.com/joeywreck/status/1629889944519835649?s=46&t=nuUxCS0ujXY6zmkVY9KHnA

anyways

Turns out if you wish the cops involved a long slow painful death the twitter algorithm instantly bans you for a week. Gonna have to get more creative in the future I guess.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ok, so what if we carry out a campaign to starve the civilian population of Crimea and then launched a ground war in order to liberate them? Sounds good?

lmao its very funny, to me, that Russia annexed Crimea in 2014 with, what, a dozen deaths total? but in order to 'liberate' Crimea Ukraine needs to launch a full scale invasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Where has the vaunted Ukrainian spirit of resistance and eagerness for gorilla war been for the last eight years in Crimea? We have a good idea of what a modern insurgency looks like based on Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine, plus what a modern insurgency funded by hostile foreign powers looks like courtesy of Libya and Syria.

Given how much the Russians love genociding Ukrainians and how valiant the Ukrainian resistance is, where is the Crimean insurgency against the Russian slaughter factories that 100% exist?