Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

war is bad, folks. don't do war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

lobster shirt posted:

would love to know more about this

NOTE: I am not a bubblehead.

But imagine that you're too far up multiple other people's asses in a nearly literal sense 24/7 for months at a time to have any flexibility left to be too far up your own rear end

also anyone being up their own rear end has a legitimate, appreciable risk of leading to everyone around you (and you) dying in all sorts of ways, most of which would be pretty lovely (some would probably be pretty quick)

then imagine that the guy who largely made the nuclear navy - and the emphasis on nuclear subs - possible did it while getting shat on to the point where he was pulled from Oak Ridge labs and put in a new "office" in a decommissioned woman's shitter. But that didn't stop him and he eventually end-arounded his superiors and got Nimitz to buy into going full nuke. That guy was Hyman Rickover.

Rickover ran the nuclear side of the Navy for over thirty years. He didn't really give a gently caress about pretense, rank included. He DID give a huge poo poo about risk management and leadership characteristics, to the point where he personally interviewed every single officer seeking a position on any ship with a reactor (this includes carriers). Had to be tens of thousands of interviews over the decades. They were, by the accounts I have heard, non-traditional affairs.

But the effect of Rickover's management and priorities made for a subset of people who prioritized responsibility, quality control and risk management, and performance over pulling rank / knocking rings. Operations and management research has used his effect on USN submarine leadership and management as a case study of how to instill prioritizing those things in organizations where there has to be zero fault tolerance or else poo poo gets real bad real quick.

Reagan (who else) eventually squeezed him out (also age might have been a factor). I have much less confidence in his successors; I don't know what went down on the Connecticut beyond the unclassified reports that came out last spring, but it's probably a sign of things to come if the subs start losing their grip on the culture that Rickover helped build up.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Turtle Sandbox posted:

MFer was a real one.

:pressf:

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Frosted Flake posted:

Biden should be picking one strategic direction to deal with. It makes no sense to have priorities this incoherent.

Biden is not cognitively capable of managing and his new CoS is the dipshit that doubled Trump's domestic COVID bodycount while "leading" those efforts. This is good old fashioned bureaucratic infighting for whose pet enemy #1 ought to be the center of attention.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Zodium posted:

wars are intrinsically unpredictable. all the data are unreliable and grossly incomplete garbage, and even if they weren't, there's no scientific theory of war. people are just guessing.

false. the scientific theory of war is operations research and systems engineering.

you're right about everything else that gets tossed about as a grift/way to keep idle hands busy, though. all actual violence is chaos that gets some sort of veneer of rational decision-making applied ex post.

like all of that

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

which also gets to the point FF raised earlier re: The Anarchical Society-style realists vs. purestrain capitalists in American agenda-setting and policy. The latter would categorically oppose the sort of command-and-control wartime footing that would be necessary for any legitimate throwdown that magically failed to go nuclear; the former understand this but their disappointment is tempered by their understanding that it'd absolutely go nuclear and then they could shuffle off the burden of managing hegemony as they shuffled off this mortal coil, etc.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Zodium posted:

fine, but you know that wasn't what i meant. :colbert:

:nsa:

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

DancingShade posted:

They were all FBI agents and the tatts just get covered up by dress shirts.

FTFY

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

does the kid get service ribbons to use as a diaper pin, or

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Dixon Chisholm posted:

john mearshitter

Rack em

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Cerebral Bore posted:

you know, one of my most surreal experiences on these dead comedy forums was when the bolivian coup was popping off and you had motherfuckers riding around waving literal swastika flags and burning the symbols of the indigenous peoples, you had the military openly brutalizing and murdering protesters on the streets, that random lady declared herself president without even a fig leaf of legality while the military physically blocked all the members from the majority party in parliament from entering any parliamentary sessions, and then to top it all off the main coupers had some hosed up ceremony in a cathedral or somesuch where they basically proclaimed blood oaths that only white people would get to rule bolivia in the future and all of this poo poo was just broadcast out in the open

and then some motherfucker, who had regged that very same day no less, kramered into the d&d thread on the subject, claimed to be a regular bolivian concerned citizen and did the whole song and dance about how it all looks bad but evo was no angel you know, and it was like every single shitlib had some hosed up pavlovian response and immediately decided that this rando on the internet was now the sole voice of the people of bolivia and if you argued against them you weren't respecting bolivian voices or some horseshit like that

SA posters like to think the forums are too dead and gay to be on anyone's radar for consent manufacturing, but bet your rear end it is.

It's just so much easier to automate at scale for reddit, 'X' etc.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Organ Fiend posted:

gently caress Poland

tryin to haha

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Zodium posted:

intelligence is multifaceted and a lot of work has gone into breaking it down, but in the end, all the facets correlate. that's the positive manifold. and it's one of the most theoretically frustrating things to me, personally, because it really throws a wrench in my gibsonian gears and I still don't have a good answer. but it is something distinct. it is methodologically sound, general, heritable, independent of ses; it exists. it's just not very important. the problem is exactly that society places too much value on intelligence such that things of merit must require intelligence, e.g., chess playing lurker guy feels attacked and compelled to defend chess as intelligent by the suggestion that performance is overwhelmingly driven by a particular type of practice.

FWIW I agree with you (and also Scrree, esp. their 3 enumerated points). To the extent that I've tried thinking about it, I end up with intelligence as a moderating variable; it can both reduce the relative amount of practice necessary to achieve a particular proficiency level, and it can allow for differentials in observed proficiency levels for the same quantity/quality of practice. But it's marginal, and exposure/treatment/practice is what drives competence.

But guess what pseudoscience both serves as the priests of cybernetic capitalism AND has a raging, never-ending hard-on for over-emphasizing marginal effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Organ Fiend posted:

If my posts on a dead gay internet forum help you or anyone else get through the day, then I'm happy they did.

There's some kind of fundamental truth, I think, that I'm not well read or educated enough to fully articulate. Its about how a system can not fully characterize every aspect of itself.

Like, I was watching that series DEVS, which posits the idea of a quantum computer that can fully simulate, in a predictive fashion, all of reality. This is theoretically possible, as if you had information on the state of every single particle in reality, you could predict what they'd do and what they'd done just by applying the laws of physics and the passage of time. However, I don't think its possible for such a device to exist because the device itself is part of the system. You'd then need another device to store state information about the first device, and so on and so on. You end up with an infinite recursion problem.

I think that this for physics, the incompleteness theorem for mathematics, and the fact that logic can't sort out values, is all connected in some way. Something about how a system must be based on fundamental axioms/laws/whatever that are not defined by/above the system itself.

But like I said, I'm not educated enough to make this coherent.

Good post, and good previous post re: values vs. reason. What you are seeing across different disciplines here applies to the field of complex systems engineering too. For example, it has been shown that any system whose purpose is to regulate or otherwise control a complex phenomenon must be *at least* as complex as the phenomenon it is meant to control.

see e.g.

Ashby, W. Ross. 1991. “Requisite Variety and Its Implications for the Control of Complex Systems.” In Facets of Systems Science, edited by George J. Klir, 405–17. Boston, MA: Springer US. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4899-0718-9_28.

edit: hosed up DOI

captainbananas has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Apr 11, 2024