Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I don't know a whole lot about how Twitter advertising works. Is this take accurate? (It's a thread)

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1588696157794242560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It's worse then it sounds because that option is chosen when you add something.

You have to edit everything you have ever uploaded if you don't want anything used.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
https://twitter.com/Anwalt_Jun/status/1594001088503549952

Chan-jo Jun is a German lawyer who is involved in a case in German courts regarding Twitter refusing to comply with moderation standards laws on hate speech, and Musk just handed him this. It's presumably possible for Musk to gently caress up worse on this topic, but it would take a serious effort.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd say "well, he could just shut down Twitter in Germany" but I wonder if he still has people around who know how to do that.

Right now? He does not.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are three games tomorrow, there was only the one today

And four the day after! I thought it was five but it's just four.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Old James posted:

He's going to end his days wandering an empty mansion in the dark, wearing soiled underwear and robe. Muttering to himself and spurting angry gibberish at the walls, followed by random gunshots at the shadows. Basically, pulling a Lowtax.

Also, Musk is the type of guy to include cans of Coke in the picture because he wants to hint that he's doing lines.

How's he gonna shoot the gun? It doesn't have a trigger.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Young Freud posted:

Twitter Files day 2 finally happened and disgraced NYT editor Bari Weiss has been trying to create a narrative that Twitter censors conservative voices in its content moderation, but just revealed that Libs Of TikTok is apparently protected from on high by upper management.
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1601058246592077824?s=20&t=EBayiM03kb9QH-I5HiDYJw

What's SIP-PES in this context? Can I call them sippies?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadOptics posted:

Site Integrity Policy, Policy Escalation Support

So "If some big account/the President of the US says something inflammatory send it straight up to the C-Suite/lawyers to make a the call". So you know....what every organization on the planet does.

Usually not with Libs of Tik-Tok though.

Thanks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Young Freud posted:

Twitter runs on "brevity is the soul of wit", it makes users have to summarize their thoughts, remove the cruft, and present the essentials.

I have bad news about both the wit and the brevity. 🧵 (1/27)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Main Paineframe posted:

I suspect there won't be much point in reporting misgendering on Twitter anymore.

He'd already removed it from the list of things you could report, didn't he?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LegionAreI posted:

Why? Why is this even a thing? Jesus loving christ these money grubbing pieces of poo poo. It's just about drama for clicks and views right?

Forget it. It's Elon, so there's pretty good odds that he honestly believes Trump shouldn't have been banned in the first place.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes, Elon, famous owner of facebook.

I have no idea how I misread it as Twitter unbanning him but I did. Probably because I'd heard those noises last year.

It's me, I'm the idiot on social media.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm just gonna use what I put in the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Halli - Haraldur Žorleifsson - is famous. He is a beloved figure in Iceland who spent his Twitter buyout money funding wheelchair accessibility, after paying the extra tax rate, saying he'd do it again because it pays for medical assistance like he got, because he has muscular dystrophy. Which is why, now, in his 40s, he doesn't do a lot of direct typing but is exactly the kind of person you want (and, indeed, Twitter used to pay him and the company he founded for) organizational and PR roles. He's been given awards by Iceland (Order of the Falcon, for contributions to social issues - it's not his first award from Iceland) and the UN (for Ramp Up Reykjavik/Iceland, his organization for getting wheelchair accessibility everywhere).

He absolutely knows what he's doing, and it's working. Given the choice between 'Elon Musk, notorious rear end in a top hat' and 'Haraldur Žorleifsson, successful businessman and philanthropist', only one person can possibly look good here.

Edit: Part of the reason he is still getting paid by Twitter is because he didn't allow his buyout to be in the form of capital gains - he intentionally classified it as wages so he was in the higher tax bracket. Elon is going against that. It looks awful even for him, and while I doubt he'll suffer any serious consequences, he definitely looks like an idiot and will lose any related lawsuit.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 7, 2023

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MonsterEnvy posted:

So Musk is paying for some famous people to try and trick people into subbing.

Also, Grimes.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Main Paineframe posted:

Nobody accused her of making it up to go viral, and nobody except you suggested that maybe it's her fault for missing a checkbox. Additionally, no one is defending Meta here.

Main Paineframe posted:

There's roughly a zillion people who use fake names on social media. I guarantee that if something like what she claims was happening, we would have a lot more people reporting it.

Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral).

Hmm.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Timby posted:

According to a friend of mine who walks by that building every day on his way to work, the sign is literally being held down with sandbags.

That's ... that's going to be an issue if it gets windy in San Francisco one day.

Yeah, there was a picture earlier but here it is again

I assume this is his attempted equivalent of 'I'm not touching yooooou' with the laws about installing signs. It's not installed, it's just sitting on top! You can put things on your roof! :hmmwrong:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

haveblue posted:

Equally likely that all the good installers refused to do it without a permit

While true, if there's a choice between 'because Elon was stupid' and any other reason at all, I'm guessing dumb Elon every time.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I could be wrong but I think that between Blue Sky kind of dropping the ball by being closed registration and just the general failure of competitors to Twitter to take off, that we're not really going to see another thing like Twitter, maybe not for generations.

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PhazonLink posted:

oh saw that in the GBS Musk lol thread, but wasnt sure if Brazil actually had offices and musk was just barking nothing. like didnt he fully or mostly close Japan's offices ?

I don't know about that, but I do know he had a bit of a problem with calling it X Japan.