Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah, dev is supposed to be the "safe to experiment with" environment; there isn't an env before that unless the Devs are running a local development one on their own machine. Still I'm curious why they would even run stuff in Dev directly instead of pushing it to prod, if they want to use it in prod :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The article posted here the other day said that they have fired 80% of their infrastructure engineering teams - that means system admins, network eng, Dev ops, etc. While this doesn't mean many people for a company the size of Twitter as an absolute number, this still means that 4 out of 5 people that were deemed necessary to run the infra before have been let go...I wonder if certain teams even have someone else to run peer code reviews in the same continent/timezone - or at all.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

So instead of peer code review they're going to have the Inquisition checking code for malicious backdoors and whatnot. An healthy way to run a company.

Also what would have access to the office have to do with sabotaging Twitter? I would expect the only employees that need physical access for their duties are like physical security and facilities people. I would expect Twitter not to run anything on prem, or at least nothing that is related to its frontend at the very minimum. EDIT: are they worried about people that have had their priviledges revoked physically accessing servers with like a console cable?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Not to detract from the clowncar that Twitter is atm, but a lot of tech companies are cutting costs right now. Hiring/travel freeze and real estate downsizing is something a lot of business (including Google, Facebook, etc) are currently undergoing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

haveblue posted:

Musk's quest to turn Twitter into a Dickensian sweatshop continues

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1598766600685228032

Even funnier if you think that, before all this, Twitter had an unlimited PTO policy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

Hard disagree with the first bit. My org has fully embraced remote work, unlimited pto, and no set hours. It took about a year to realize they really really meant it, but it's way better than the finite but liberal PTO I had before.
Yeah same. But to be honest the best thing about it is that if you need a day off for an emergency you'll never run into a "if I take this day off I won't be able to travel home for the holidays". Hardly on topic, aside from the fact that moving from that to "get back to the Twit mines" has to be really discouraging.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

10 years ago almost every major tech company was moving toward this "live your work, gently caress real life" "revolutionary" approach and it's nice to see it being called out for being grotesque.
They were, generally speaking, using the carrot (free food/gym/stuff, social groups onsite, etc) instead of the stick though; plus none of it is mandatory. And they were notoffering (not to mention enforcing) "sleep at the office" as a part of that since, you know, it's illegal in most of the world.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

EasyEW posted:

It came out a few weeks ago that Automattic is looking into linking Tumblr with ActivityPub, which would instantly make it the biggest player in the fediverse.
I take it as a sign of the passage of time that the only concept I can parse in that phrase is "Tumblr" - and I work in tech :v: I have no idea of who or what Automattic, ActivityPub or fediverse are.

Edit: vvvv thanks :corsair:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 10, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

he's going to push away both potential and existing Tesla drivers
Another brilliant victory for the genius inventor* of the self driving car!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Remember when Musk was complaining about the Apple store having a "tax" and trying to weasel out of it by making insinuations about it's censor ship because it was ruining his big idea to save the company?

Well, Musk is passing on the Apple "tax" onto Apple Twitter users by bringing back Twitter Blue but iOS users have to pay $11/mo instead of $8/mo.
https://twitter.com/Twitter/status/1601692766257709056?s=20&t=sYi7YnpDWE2TNXtLOXJrdA
Also, 3 out of 4 features for Twitter Blue in that ad are "coming soon" and haven't been implemented as of yet.
Apparently the deal is that you can buy Twitter Blue directly from him for 8$ or through the Twitter App on Apple for 11$. What the Twit says :v:

Edit: Ahahah the first feature is literally the "sponsored" results on Google search. I wonder if people are going to start to scroll down past the blue checkmarked replies the same way.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 11, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

He probably uploaded his email contacts when he registered, or let it have his phone contacts list. Then it sees this one person that he talks to all the time and connects her to you because sometimes you talk to him too.
Yeah, the algorithm probably has no way to know that the person you periodically spend time with is not a friend or a family member. If you are meeting them in person, otherwise it's scarier.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was reported a few weeks ago that Musk was just straight-up telling his employees to stop paying providers like Amazon and Oracle in an attempt to get them to 'renegotiate terms'. Now he's doing it with the rent on Twitter HQ.

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1602784292433760256?s=20&t=fzlv80lhuEeTmWRNlDAk6g
South African man discovers one simple trick to save money! Landlords hate him!!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Popete posted:

Musk is banking that vendors and landlords won't do any of that because it would be far more costly for them to litigate Twitter than to accept the lost revenue and renegotiating deals/rent at a lower rate.

He's trying to play bully on contractors smaller than Twitter.

The buildings Twitter rents would probably be difficult to rent back out, they may sit vacant for a long time.
A thing I've learned working in tech is that, if you're not one of the big three (Amazon, Apple, Google) there is a big disconnect between the impact you can have in the real world/how many people use your product and the amount of money that generates, at least compared to other fields.

Energy, Pharma, Finance, etc are on a complete different level, but large Real Estate is too. I would expect Twitter's HQ to be owned by one of the largest RE conglomerates in each respective country, and their yearly gains are probably orders of magnitude larger that Reddit's.

So unless Musk wants to pay more of his own money to bring this forward, I don't think Twitter can really try to bully someone who owns a third of San Francisco's bricks.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In a different timeline, Google+ is unveiled in early 2023 and it makes a killing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Jokes aside, one of the ways Twitter becomes obsolete is if the conversation moves somewhere else...but it's difficult for it to happen without a dramatic break. Luckily, we are potentially a few tweets away from Musk doing something idiotic like banning all the WaPo journalists from Twitter because someone has been mean to him.

In fact, we are already at the "you can only post news on twitter if the owner of the company lets you" which is inevitably going to create a big issue the next time Musk walks into a field of rakes and everyone starts reporting on it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

haveblue posted:

That requires there be somewhere for the conversation to go, and it's not clear that there is.

Mastodon is the closest of them all, is it permitted to link from Twitter to Mastodon again or is that still blocked?
Yeah I agree that it is not going to happen on its own, and the lack of a clear alternative is one of the reasons. But if the 2024 elections come around and Musk starts banning all the journos that are mean to his favourite candidate, what are they going to do, stay silent?

They'll move to the next best thing, even if it's not comparable. And he may just be dumb enough to cause enough of a shift for it to matter...at the end of the day, the people on a social media platform are the product.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 16, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Young Freud posted:

A lot of those guys who got suspended on Twitter like Rupar and Binder are already posting on Mastodon and new accounts peaked again last night, so the conversation is on the move as we speak
The funny thing is, with 95% of what's happened so far if only Musk had been a smidge less of an rear end, nobody that matters would be talking about Mastodon or any of it really just a few weeks in.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

He's already reversed at least some of the journalist bans and turned Spaces back on. $44B to be a forum admin.
Meanwhile:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Apparently he got rid of the thing that tells you if a post was from IOS or android. What was the point of that existing in the first place?
Apple and Google aren't getting free ads anymore! :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I take more consideration before sending out a minor upgrade alert (with no expected effect for users and otherwise invisible to them) than Twitter currently uses with its policy making.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

haveblue posted:

It’s become a proper cycle now- Twitter announces a radically disruptive change, we all spend a few days thinking this is truly the end, then they backtrack in a hasty and confusing fashion and Twitter stumbles along for a few more months.

Now we all get to discover Twitter’s definition of “good content” in real time

#goodpeoplebotsonbothsides

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

IUG posted:

Last panel should be replaced with him getting run over with a tesla. but I have a killer stomach bug and I’m not doing it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Okay, so this is close to confirmation on something that popped up yesterday, but Musk decided to not pay Slack for their communications service the engineers were using and they all got cut off yesterday without warning... https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1628923615982022656?t=ZqBj8vXHPP7Zp0NZK3r-Sw&s=19

Edit: Apparently, Jira is well-known to be integrated with Slack, which is probably why Twitter engineering was using it, so Jira being broken with Slack being removed is HOLY gently caress! for engineering.
Yeah I'm not sure that trying to play the big bully with certain companies is going to work out well for Musk's Twitter. Slack is owned by Salesforce. Salesforce is in the top half of the Fortune 500 companies, with a net worth as of February 22, 2023 of $161.62B.

Edit: Slack itself was bought for almost $30B and no, the worth/paid price ratio is not at all similar to the oneusk has paid for Twitter.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Some independent testing identified more words flagged and censored by Twitter, as well as word combinations not flagged.
https://twitter.com/EuphoriTori/status/1642233703567851522?s=20

While the "trans" adjective vs. "transwoman/transman" sounds innocuous at first, the accepted saying in queer circles is "trans woman" or "trans man" since they are just another type of woman or man, like "tall woman" or "black man", while removing the space to make "transwoman" and "transman" turns them into a group separate of women and men.

It's somewhat interesting to see that, apparently, some of the slurs in the list were not filtered before but are now - which means that Twitter is having a look at this feedback, but not in a "oh poo poo, roll back everything!" way.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder what a big company putting out a viable Twitter competitor would look like. Feels like that'd be something that basically everyone capable of it (and some that aren't) would want in their back pocket given how much they rely on what Musk is clearly intent on running into the ground.

Then again, who would be able to pull that off? First thought is Microsoft, but then again they hosed up this kinda thing a lot of times before and we all know their kind of dysfunction. (probably)

Comedy option: Nintendo brings back Miiverse, and everyone adopts it.
Out of nowhere, Google++.

Edit: we are sorry to announce that Google++ will be discontinued next month.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I think what they are trying to do is mostly to muddy the waters. If only idiots who paid 8$/month have a checkmark, it's easier to simply block them/use an add-on not to see them. If people you may want to follow have one, it becomes trickier from an automation point of view; and if enough people have a blue checkmark, including "good" people, it lessens the social stigma.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I have acquired exclusive footage of the reveal for the new CEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

But it's Musk under the hood.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 12, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Twitter's current iteration is basically "Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
Only, it's Burke calling the strike.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Since I've gotten hit with the discord renaming today, it has me wondering if anyone has figured out what the actual reason they made the change is? Cause the reasons they gave range from negligible to being worse in the new system. If the original system had become an uncontrolled spaghetti code that could be replaced with a simple drop in system saying that would have made people more accepting of the change.

Since they are going by regdate with this, would you mind sharing your (approximate) regdate for Discord?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Guess it's just a matter of time before embeds are dead too - as soon as the crack R&D team at Twitter realizes this is happening and how to implement the change without breaking the site.

I wonder how long it will take for them to figure out that screen caps don't drive ad revenue the same way as clickable links.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Pretty hilarious that threads just isn't releasing in the EU right now because they want to steal way more data and only the US allows stealing that much data. Was making a "steal less data" version for the EU too hard to release on-time or something?
Hey now, the UK is perfectly fine with their citizens having their data stolen.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

oh they just went ahead and did it

It's even weirder cause it's a logo change instead of a name change, at least for now:

Imagine someone buying Coca-Cola and changing the logo to __*X*__

EDIT: I guess the idea is that the X logo is a stylized bird? :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dr_rat posted:

lol they actually went through with it. And yeah pretty sure the X is meant to just be an X. The thicker line isn't even angled the same way the twitter bird was and oh does it look half assed and cheap.
Oh no, I meant that someone other than Musk has desperately tried to keep the brand recognition going, but the logo had to be different enought to fool Musk into believing it's just an "X" that it is kinda difficult to see any continuity.

My prediction is that this will follow the same path as Twitter Blue:
  • Musk has a brilliant idea.
  • Musk forces the people who work for him to implement it in a ridiculous short amount of time without doing any amount of research.
  • The implementation is :siren:crap:siren:
  • Musk changes idea 10 times over the course of 10 days and forces rapid changes to the implementation;
  • The implementation is now a :siren:confusing mess:siren: and it is still :siren:crap:siren:
  • His yes men convince him that it was not his idea that was bad, it was the people implementing it that were unable to make it real.
  • Musk fires someone.
  • Musk loses interest in it. Musk moves to his new pet project.
  • The system is somewhat implemented in a barely functional way without much fanfare by someone who is not working under direct orders from Musk.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 24, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Musk changes idea 10 times over the course of 10 days and forces rapid changes to the implementation;
Like loving clockwork.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

.Nothing about this was calculated or planned in advance, and nothing about it is driven by any factor beyond Musk's ridiculous obsession with the letter 'X' and his farcical desire to create the Western WeChat. There is still a non-zero chance things are back as they were last week before the end of this week, depending when and how he comes down from this manic episode or whatever drugs he's on at the moment.
It was, however, long in the making:
https://twitter.com/garius/status/1683808576328937472

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1683808576328937472.html

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Why is this funny?
It's a porn site.

I guess the idea is that, since Musk wants to do an "everything-app", the various parts of it are going to be called X-something. So his Youtube competitor is going to face some naming-related challenges.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Well, I guess blocking any chance of debate is definitely going places, if you want to use Twitter for propaganda.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I like how "having subsidized healthcare and schools" is a crime on par with "subjugating all women and killing all gays" according to that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I guess cutting tens of thousands of jobs wasn't enough to make the numbers go up.

I did get a "AdBlockers are not allowed on YouTube" pop-up yesterday for the first time, although I don't think it came with a countdown.