Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

dmboogie posted:

okay i'm confused because i looked at the full credited list of voice actors in darktide and zero of them were in vermintide 2???

Yeah, I don't know if that list is completely accurate. You're telling me that the first voice in this video isn't Bardin's voice actor David Rintoul? That's one hell of an impression if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Saltzpyre's voice would be perfect for a recurring villain, come to think of it.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I'm guessing that making an all-male class on release means that they'll produce an all-female DLC class later

I wonder what class that could possibly be

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Counterpoint: The Billhook owns and is almost worth the price of admission by itself

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Her sister is a necromancer so it’s possible she goes hard into shadow magic. It would also provide plenty of opportunities for Saltz to completely lose his poo poo

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Kobal2 posted:

Speaking of which, no beam staff equivalent makes me a sad boy.

Seems like it would be pretty simple to reskin the beam staff into an electricity theme. Here's hoping!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
My guess is that it’ll retain so long as the XP curve is working mostly as intended. If it’s designed to require 25 games to hit max level and people are completing it in 6, then expect a wipe.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

DeathSandwich posted:

If you don't switch to melee when you get swarmed / surrounded you will be hosed to death immediately

Slaanesh faction confirmed?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Cool.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Tagichatn posted:

Zealot is apparently very bugged where the ult restores only half toughness and the damage stacks based on missing hp are much less than they should.

Might be an intentional nerf. The level 5 talent that restored 7.5% toughness per second when in melee is explicitly down to 5.0% now

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Bussamove posted:

Six missions in a row now without a drop, this is super.

You’ll need to be using the gear vendor most of the time for upgrades. Post-mission loot seems pretty infrequent.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

tehinternet posted:

If that happens you can keep your peasant physical projectiles, lasrifles will be god tier headpoppers with 600 shots

The Mark XII is kind of that already. As far as precise, efficient, versatile ranged weapons go it’s top tier. The flashlight is a godsend in some environments too.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

terrorist ambulance posted:

So I took my RAM modules out, blew on them and said a quiet, calm prayer, then re arranged their order and added a registry line and now it crashes 90% less

I'm sure it works but drat :fatshark:

You have placated the machine spirit. The Omnissiah smiles upon thee

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

terrorist ambulance posted:

people are just dropping the map that has you scanning for plague residue lol

I get noticeably lower FPS on that map compared to any of the others, and it’s the only map I’ve crashed out of multiple times. It has technical issues that need to be addressed.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Darktide's loading screen tooltips do a pretty good job of slamming you in the face with the 40k vibe. "Forgiveness is a crime punishable by death" is my personal fave

edit: Just saw a new favorite: "Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth"

Magitek fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 21, 2022

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really get what advantages the stage/mission rotation system offers to the player right now. They offer a subsection of the total missions in the game with modifiers and stuff, so like right now I just logged on and there were like 10 missions available but those 10 were made up of 4 actual missions the assassinate the guy at the train station one, the assassinate the guy in the enforcer base one, the ammo one and the scanning plague samples one with modifiers, side objectives and difficulty varying among them.

I think it’s a mistake for them to split up mission options by difficulty. Most people are only going to be playing one preferred difficulty, eventually 2 difficulties once they feel confident/in a premade team for Heresy/Damnation. That means that for a given difficulty, there’s only going to be 4 (or less!) map options at any given time. If any of those maps have modifiers you want to avoid (like that god awful fog affix, JFC) the options shrink even further.

Basically I’m really not looking forward to doing two Quickplay games and frequently getting the same mission twice in a row. I’d rather they list 6+ maps, give half of those maps random modifiers, and allow you to choose any of the 5 difficulties once you select a particular map. It would funnel the population more effectively than the Vermintides while still giving each player more agency.

Separately, the automatic countdown on the Ready Up screen needs adjustment. 60 seconds is not always going to be enough time to fill, and I do not consent to playing Heresy difficulty with a level 6 pubbie who joins mid-map.

I really think the Ready countdown should only begin once all 4 players are in the lobby. Lower it to 30 seconds or whatever, but the current situation is going to mean people all wait at the chill beginning of a map until they have a viable lineup in-game. At that point it’s just a more limited extension of the lobby.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
“I cannot dream. I know only waking nightmare.”

Knowing that this is Lohner’s voice actor somehow flips this from tragic to hysterical. 40k is such a weird setting, tonally

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Drakes posted:

it looks like you take health damage even if you have toughness up. Like maybe 1 hp per hit depending on what you're dealing with.

A developer on the Fatshark forums actually clarified how incoming melee damage works. A minimum of 10% melee damage will bypass Toughness shield and go directly to health, increasing by the percent of your Toughness missing. So getting hit once by a random mook will do virtually no health damage, while getting hit twice will definitely move the bar since you’d probably be down to 50% Toughness or whatever.

This also means that the baseline value of the Zealot’s 90second cheat death effect is kinda suspect. If it activates and saves you from getting splattered that’s great, but you’ll still be left at 1 HP and will go down the next time you get clipped by any random melee. The talent that allows you to heal through damage when the cheat death activates looks a lot more tempting with that in mind.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Re: Eviscerator, Heavy attack -> Light Attack -> Repeat is great for horde clear too. It’s higher DPS than using the Push attack while maintaining the lateral attack pattern, so if you’re in a situation where you can get away with just dodges and mulching to keep you alive then it’s the superior choice.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Proposal: Don’t prioritize achievements and just enjoy the game. I watched some dummy almost wipe us by committing hard to the “go an entire run without using your ranged weapon” zealot achievement on the first day of beta and refuse to shoot a sniper he had a clear angle on.

Like, we’re gonna be playing this game for a long while. Do it with friends in 5 minutes once an easy meta method has been established rather than frustrate yourself for hours. It’s just better for everyone.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

drrockso20 posted:

Man going for Grimoires or Tomes is just plain a trap that isn't worth the trouble they bring

Grims removing Wounds is a serious downside. If you get 2x Grims it means that any non-Ogryn will never get downed, they’ll just die outright. Much harder than VT2.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Insert name here posted:

Not to mention that you slowly gain corruption over time while holding grimoires. They're so much more punishing compared to VT2 while being worth comparatively much less.

Oh poo poo, that’s intended and not a bug? I did a mission where I picked up the team’s only Grim early on, and by the end I only had around 40 max HP. That’s absolutely brutal.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Dravs posted:

I feel like the dogs need to be slowed down a bit, impossible to shoot when they are zipping all over the place.

I’m guessing the ludicrous dog movement patterns are an intentional design choice to give Psycher Brain Burst a clear advantage. As a corollary, advice to all Psychers: Please prioritize dogs. The rest of the team can kill the other specials (at least in theory).

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

sure okay posted:

lmao get the gently caress out of here I'm not paying 165000 spacebux for a loving cosmetic helmet

Yeah you are! What else are you going to be spending your space bux on once the regular weapon shop items are no longer upgrades for you? You’re gonna have like, 50 hojillion bux eventually.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Draynar posted:

The camo talent for Vet is insane. poo poo just ignores you if there is other options basically.

Sure, but is that necessarily a good thing? The Veteran has higher Toughness shield than the other classes and good regen talents, so you’re able to absorb ranged fire quite well. If you’re forcing the enemy to focus fire, then you might be getting your teammates killed.

fadam posted:

What gun are you guys liking on Vet? The recon Lasgun and the first Boltgun you unlock are my faves, but I wish they had scopes lol.

The recon lasgun with the slower rate of fire, myself. It has very similar DPS to the faster recon lasgun, but almost identical clip and total ammo capacity. That makes it much more ammo efficient. And the full auto nature means it’s very easy to compensate for incoming suppression sway.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

BombiTheZombie posted:

The kramering on poxwalkers

lol

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Broken Cog posted:

Posted this earlier, anyone know how exactly this perk works?

Assuming it works like Pyromancer Sienna in VT2, each chunk of peril (let’s pretend 15%) will give you a buff stack. So you’ll have 2% bonus crit at 15% peril and 10% bonus crit at 75%+, updating dynamically.

One thing that isn’t obvious is that these weapon perks have different quality tiers. So later you might find an orange weapon that grants 3% crit per stack and a red quality weapon with 4% per stack.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Fats posted:

Is "power" basically damage? I can't tell if this is better than the +cleave ability I have on another hammer.

It’s a combination of damage, cleave and stagger (assuming it functions like in Vermintide 2)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Jimbot posted:

I changed my mind on the eviscerator and thunder hammer. The later is far better. Its special does just as much damage and can't be interrupted like the former's.

The biggest advantage of the Eviscerator is that when you activate its special, it will slice through chaff until it hits a meaty target and only then "bite and chew". Ragers love to mix themselves into a sea of zombies, and any one of those random mooks will immediately consume the hammer energy. Eviscerator doesn't care. If you're using the talent that makes your heavy attacks uninterruptible you'll be able to land the attack and the Rager will be stunned as he's being sawed in half.

skaianDestiny posted:

Which braced autogun is best for the Zealot? There's like 3 different kinds.

IIRC, the Mk 2. It has dramatically better damage and a larger clip.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Internet Explorer posted:

Is Quick Play on a map rotation that rotates every hour? So we all get the same map each hour? Seems like a lot of duplicate back to back missions.

Not exactly. It's a symptom of the way the random missions are set up right now. You look at the mission screen and you see around a dozen available options, but they're split up across 5 difficulties. So if you're Quickplaying the same difficulty each time (like I imagine 98% of players), you only have 2-3 potential maps you can be dropped into. The game will happily place you into the same map two times in a row, especially if multiple options are the same map with different random modifiers.

It's not a great system IMO. I've said it before, but difficulty should be something that the player specifies after they choose the map. Cut the map rotation down to ~6 at a time to compensate so the population doesn't get too diluted. The current phenomenon of getting the same Quickplay map multiple times in a row simply sucks.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also it would probably help with giving a sense of direction in the world if the big mission menu wasn't pointing to 4 different places for the exact same map, but with modifiers.

Yes, agreed. You could make an argument that selecting your own difficulty would diminish the kayfabe of responding to enemy threats, but right now seeing multiple of the same mission up is much worse.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Broken Cog posted:

It's not really that they are too hard, but as you reach higher levels they'll become a lot longer.

I've gotten a lot more "High complexity" missions on my 30 this week, some of which are "Complete 25 missions" and "Pick up 25 Scriptures", which can be pretty time consuming, and make high level people speedrun level 2 and 3 missions just to complete them. Especially considering how the random mission system works.

This is the problem. It’s not usually a question of “too hard” rather than “too tedious and arbitrarily makes the game less fun”. Like the “Complete 6 secondary objectives on [particular map]”. First off, doing the same map 6 times when the full game will have 13 is pretty lame. It basically eliminates Quickplay as a preferred play method. Second, getting all 3 scriptures is definitely not always going to happen in pugs, and completing with 2 grims is legitimately difficult the way they’re implemented and reduce wounds. So you’re going to require more than 6 runs on that map, realistically. Running the same map over and over is the opposite of what the game devs should be encouraging.

Also, who is averaging 20 minutes per game in 3* Endless Horde pugs? 25+ minutes is the norm I’ve found. That 25 mission weekly adds up to 12 hours, which is a heck of a lot for one character. Compare these to tasks like “Kill 1000 Dregs/Scrabs with Melee/Ranged”, which are trivial.

I’d be fine with spending money rerolling, but currently you can only reroll a particular contract task three times. Attempting a fourth time will provide the expected prompts but won’t actually do anything if you click “Accept”. I really hope they change something about these.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 29, 2022

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The Eviscerator is real, and strong, and my friend

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Cease your slander of yon blessed Eviscerator, knave. Get one with a high Mobility score and the Rev It Up trait and you can sprint around at Doom 2 speed chopping dudes in half with one swing. It is addictingly fun and effective.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Pennsylvanian posted:

So apparently RTX is still technically enabled on cards that it shouldn't be or if you manually tried to turn it off. This was a problem back in the first closed beta. Here's a Reddit post on how to turn it off:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/z9a2fj/psa_rtx_is_always_on_despite_what_options_you/

Later in the thread:

"So this is false or at least a placebo effect.

Essentially, those settings are ignored if the following settings are set to off.
code:
ray_tracing_quality = "off"
rt_reflections_quality = "off"
rtxgi_quality = "off"

dxr = false
As those in the OP's post are settings for the ray tracing render pipeline. If the pipeline isn't running to begin with, whatever those settings are, don't matter. The settings I have posted here turn on or off the ray tracing render pipeline. And what major feature in the pipeline is used.

Edit: Just want to add, the first time you boot up the release version of Darktide, if your GPU is capable, it will have ray tracing enabled. You can turn it off in game and the settings do stick."

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

big cummers ONLY posted:

I named my Ogryn Hasanabi and picked the smallest head I could

What's Zealot's best horde/cleave weapon? Thunder Hammer has great cleave on the heavy but low damage, and it's hard to nail specials with the charged hit if they're in a horde. Chainsword only seems to get through 5-6 dudes on Heresy and the push attack even fewer (and stops even sooner if anyone's got armor). The non-sci-first swords have good cleave but bad damage and I suspect bad single target abilities.

Basically I want a vt2 executioner sword which was good at everything. If nobody has something like that I actually think it would be a good thing long-term but I want to make sure.

The Eviscerator is a very strong all around weapon that handles hordes pretty well. Heavy -> Light -> Repeat while dodging is the bread and butter, with judicious use of Heavy -> Push Attack if you get swarmed or you need a second to rev up its Special Action. Special Action Heavy against Ragers and Ogryn, Special Action Light against lone Shotgunners, Gunners, and any Specials who pop up around a corner in melee range.

Some of the Zealot Feats compliment the weapon particularly well. Punishment and Rising Conviction offer a ton of bonus stagger and damage once you get a melee rhythm, and Thy Wrath Be Swift means it won't be easily interrupted. I like it a lot.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there some sort of tell for the scriptures? You can see a green glow from the grimoires if you look closely, for scriptures it seems like you just need to know all the possible places they can spawn.

They emanate a low "hiss" sound. I usually hear them before I see them.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a good melee weapon for Psyker that has a solid side to side heavy attack? I'm feeling the absence of the Power Sword greatly.

The Devil’s Claw mk1 has excellent lateral heavies that consistently slash at head level. The base damage is mediocre but it has the Finesse stat, which acts as an additional headshot multiplier. Very good for handling hordes of Groaners, Poxwalkers and melee Scabs, although the melee Dregs wear helmets and are thus resistant. Completely worthless against Carapace, but as a Psycher you have other answers to that.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Do you know how many deaths I have to teammates shooting a barrel I'm walking past? I don't need that in my life too.

Yeah, but that’s usually because the barrel can fling you in random directions. Almost every time I’ve been yeeted off a ledge has been because the barrel was in front of me and pulled me forward like a goddamn suplex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The fog modifier is simply worse than Lights Out, imo. It has the same core gameplay impact of limiting visibility but lacks the cool aesthetics or workaround methods using flashlights/fires/explosions/etc.