Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The demo felt like they had about as much personality and high quality VA performance as they could get with generic nobodies as player characters, but those generic nobodies are never going to have the same amount of charm as a kruber. They’re executing about as well as well as they possibly can within those limitations but there’s a hard ceiling on what they can do without well-defined named characters who are grounded in the setting. the upside of course is that you get your own custom character instead, but I’m doubtful that’s something many people really wanted out of this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They are doing unbelievably good impressions of the original actors if that’s the case

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stats can be fun to look at and sometimes informative for self improvement but they can absolutely encourage toxicity and can undervalue some meaningful contributions, such as CCing everything with a shield in VT1 which makes the team win but doesn’t make you a personal top scorer on any of the kill stats

If I designed it I would include total stats for the entire match and show you your own breakdown of them, but not show everyone’s individual breakdowns together. that would let you gauge how effective your setup was empirically and let you feel good if you got more than 25% of kills or whatever, but not turn coop matches into a unspoken competition

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nope. it has some great detailed environments but the gameplay just isn't good for a number of reasons and a lot of the presentation still feels highly unfinished. I would legitimately have a higher opinion of it overall if the game was just walking around the maps and looking at them with no enemies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pasha posted:

How was the performance in the earlier beta periods? I have a PC that matches the recommended specs, but will those specs run the game well?

the most recent demo ran like straight garbage on my GTX 1080/i7 8700, no matter what magic tricks I tried to make it not be that way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There is almost no way veteran turns out to be a trap when it highlights specials (always the thing that actually kills you in these games) and is the most reliable class against ranged enemies (as of darktide, also a thing that kills you).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Characters should only be mean to whoever has the kerillian voice

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof, that doesn't sound good. They really shouldn't be releasing something as vital as crafting after release. It definitely does sound like they are building it as they're flying it.

It feels like they are trying to meet a release date. Wish they would have just delayed by a couple of months, but I suspect they didn't want to release into the holidays or the super packed month that February is lining up to be.

I'm still really enjoying it, but I get the feeling that it's going to be like VT2 at release where they had a huge amount of players who all just dropped off because poo poo was too janky.

They already delayed it before, so by their original timetable the game would be out now. Delaying was clearly the right call but it wasn’t enough of a delay.

Mordja posted:

My hot take is that item power and all that poo poo is AIDS and they should have left it at VT1's coloured rarity+random effect rolls. :colbert:

I remember thinking VT1’s itemization was unfortunate in that higher rarity weapons did more damage, but just having 3 discrete and static damage values per weapon that the game was tuned around ended up being the least bad system out of the three games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zephro posted:

I'm going to be That Guy partly defending semi-meaningless bar graphs on weapons.

The actual weapon stat system is pretty complicated, since it involves things like "how many mobs can this damage at once on each of its different attacks" and "how many can it stagger at once on each of its different attacks (and is that different for elites vs mooks)," the damage each individual move does vs unarmoured, armoured, large, elites etc, plus timing info for each swing, its reach, its efficient block angle, how much stamina it has, how much stamina it costs to block, can you dodge further than normal with it, etc. Here are some old datamined tables from VT2:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LGJtOs_ZZag-QGxM6vtjkGsVXuJqXGs0NAuPMIrqrbo/edit#gid=714950244

Making all those transparent is just going to confuse most people and rough bar charts are probably a not-too-bad solution.

There should be a checkbox to show the detailed stats, though, imo.

The complication in explaining these stats is a self-inflicted problem from when VT2 chose to fix what wasn’t broken and make stagger/cleave calculations completely incomprehensible. In VT1 weapons behaved consistently so if you saw that your weapon staggered 3 standard rats, that is always how many it will stagger and you can internalize your weapon’s behavior and how to play around it without needing to either memorize an insane formula or just pray that it staggers enough of the dudes in front of you to keep you from taking damage. In a game that forces you to make split second decisions with 40 enemies on the screen at once where one slip-up can get you downed, it’s important for these mechanics to be simple and consistent. Fatshark can‘t make some of the bars any more comprehensible at a glance because the mechanics they represent are pointlessly complicated.

Of course, actually explaining what the Ikea instruction icons mean and addressing things like a gun with a lower “ammo” bar having more ammo than a gun with a higher bar would address a lot of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

Feel so bad for the devs who have to interact with discord.

Anytime I look at a game’s steam community discussions or discord I reflexively feel a deep pain for their community managers. poo poo’s dire.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A couple months back Hedge wrote a large post on the steam discussions telling chuds upset at the existence of women and non-white characters in the game not to play it. Apparently 40k has enough Big Fascism Fans that this needed to be said.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Unfortunately I don't think 40k can ever really thread the needle of dark, blunt, satire and epic scale heroic action. The imperium is monstrous but since its also the most popular faction it will have elements of heroism inside of it, and some people will always just go 'wow, cool bolter!'

There is some fun fiction from the perspective of like the alpha legion that openly talks about how monstrous and deleterious the imperium is to the galaxy as a whole but also thats the evil spiky marines talking, although a more reasonable strain of them.

Seems like the ideal would be for the setting to portray the big fascist faction as cartoonishly inhuman and openly evil, only accomplishing anything through immeasurable self-destruction, to the point that there’s no possible way to misconstrue them as being heroic; such as, hypothetically, depicting them as goofy large rat men who say “will stab-stab,” commit egregious amounts of friendly fire, and only succeed at anything through their immense numbers and destruction of the environment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dogstile posted:

Every time I get to the ship I just assume that they wanted to make a different game and that's the hub for it. It's really weird, just give me a loving menu.

Both of this dev’s previous games feature a hub that only spends time loading/connecting you to the players you’re actually matched with, and have hotkeys to jump to the various menus in the hub so you don’t have to waste time running around if you don’t want to. They absolutely love to spend their dev time fixing random things that aren’t broken.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Dunno if it was a hotfix, or turning my graphics settings to low, but the game runs much smoother now.

Still gonna chill out until launch though. Game is cool but needs a bit more meat on its bones for me to really dig into it.

Also I've done very little Goon gaming, especially with voice comms. Are Tide newbies welcome with stuff? I promise I'm trying I'm just bad at the game.

There have been a bunch of new players in discord.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Al-Saqr if you see this can you replace the first discord link in the OP with this one? It just points to a different channel that will make more sense for anyone joining in the future.

https://discord.gg/3KU8g9HPUr

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Ok done 👍

Thanks!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What is the magical correct number of worker threads to use for an i7-8700? (6 cores, 12 logical processors)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm a very bouncy target

https://i.imgur.com/bVY9Bux.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/k2NRao7.mp4

it just wants a hug

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was able to play this for a few hours without getting any crashes or disconnects in a mission, and while the FPS still stutters and flies around much more than I'd like, it's acceptable now that I have a DLSS-compatible card. Furthermore it incredibly wasn't buggy at all, which was very surprising. At least on my machine, it seems completely playable and technically ready for release once all the content is in.

All of my other issues from the previous beta still stand (other than the responsiveness of controls which definitely do feel better), and I could still list endless issues with gameplay as far as special enemy design, itemization, weapon balance, etc. But at this point it's clear that people who liked the consistency and overall fairness of VT1 just flat-out are not the target audience anymore, and a lot of that doesn't matter if you just stay on more forgiving difficulties and ignore fatshark's attempts to make a tryhard game without the design to back it up. Thinking I'll just settle into an average difficulty, chill out and enjoy the basics of hitting things for as long as that lasts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/z5h8zv/fatshark_please_fix_this/

Well, glad to know I haven't been hallucinating these. I guess I can see why the game does it, but it does feel a bit much at the moment and I'm really hoping it's a bug. VT had a lot of "turn around and get stabbed in the rear end" moments, but nothing as ridiculous as this, especially without any obvious spawn points close by.

This is kind of validating to see as much as it shouldn't exist, I was going insane thinking I had somehow just become terrible at situational awareness after not having trouble with this in vermintide.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

every weapon in this game feels like it was balanced by a different person with a different idea of how difficult the game should be. like the disparity between the weapons is insane and i dont know how they got this far in development without realising that

I unlocked the chainsaw last night and I have no idea how more than half of the melee weapons I've tried are supposed to be meaningful options by comparison. The turtolsky mk VI heavy sword I tried was so pathetic that it took literally 4 normal swings to kill a basic zombie on difficulty 2, while this weapon kills them in one normal swing to the body, has a much better charge attack, better damage to armor, an actually useful altfire, and still enough dodge capability that I didn't feel immobile with it. As for guns, the braced assault rifle I've used appeared to have twice the ROF, bigger magazine, and literally twice the ammo reserves of the burstfire one I tried. I'm hesitant to judge balance too quickly just from first impressions but when the numbers are off by as much as double, it's pretty stark.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/AHfqjvI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/NbxHLxE.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jerkface posted:

i really hope we get the chance to change voices eventually, if only to allow for variety

the pro.veteran hits some of what i wanted but is a bit too straight laced at times. i love when he buds up with ogryns tho

I'm already wishing I picked a different ogryn voice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA: Grenade box can bounce and double kill :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/S0ig9Rq.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The sound of the ogryn breech grenade launcher hitting a sniper in the face is music

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

My two curios give me a combined +10% ordo dockets per mission and that has been helpful to fuel my desire to buy crap. Not a ton but it does add up over time.

Any zealots out there use the Turtolsky Heavy Sword? I've not touched one and they seem to show up in the store very rarely. They all look really rad but I've heard nothing about the performance. Been kinda disappointed by the Catachan swords with how weak they are compared to everything else - the cleave just doesn't make up for the fact you have to hit a basic enemy a few times to kill them.

The turtolsky heavy sword makes the catachan sword look overpowered.

I used one for a couple missions. On the second difficulty it took 4, literally 4, swings to kill the lowest-tier zombie. 3 if you hit the head!

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 28, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

There's a fence near the health station at the extraction point in the new Raid mission with the AA defense gun finale that trappers can shoot through or hop over and immediately tag someone and it's annoying as hell.

If I’m thinking of the same fence, it also doesn’t let poxbursters through but the game will still spawn them attempting to get through there, so they just run into the fence and explode before they can ever get to you. Saw it happen to 2 in a row lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

The rumbler is my favorite ogryn gun at the moment. It's probably not as mechanically good as the stubber (which still has significant issues, it's got passible midrange but it's poo poo against long range and ogryns of all flavors), but there's nothing quite as satisfying as the grenade crunching off of armor / bones / faces, tumbling through the air for a second, and then detonating. Making the detonation straight impact would probably be more useful, but the crunch and the tumble for a beat is way more visually satisfying and funnier. It also lays out ogryn sized enemies and gives people time to beat on its rear end.

I don’t like the bounce because it can fly in the wrong direction and miss the center of the group you were aiming for. it would be better to fly straight up + down on impact always. But it’s important that it not explode on impact immediately because the sound when you bean someone with it is incredibly funny

For all their faults fatshark is insanely good at hit effects

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

TIDE megathread: things are even more hosed than Fatshark expected

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weird balance at launch is nothing new but the fact that later unlocks are generally being reported as the most powerful options as a pattern makes me concerned that a lot of the imbalance is working as intended. as it stands it looks like there will be a tremendous amount of dead content as soon as you unlock the weapons that are Simply Better, which is not good for long term variety. I initially called bullshit on their claim that the game would ship with 70+ weapons based on the lack of variety I saw in the previous beta; it looks like I was wrong and there actually are going to be 70, except that’s counting a bunch of minor variants for which you’re going to find the Best One and then never use the others, and a bunch of absolute garbage like the tartolsky heavy sword.

I understand from an aesthetic standpoint that it would be weird for a shovel to be a competitive choice next to a magical power sword, but from a gameplay standpoint I don’t care, I want there to be a compelling use case for everything so that there are 70 weapons instead of 20 weapons + 50 “weapons.” I don’t have much experience at this point so maybe I’m misreading but this is my impression based on my current zealot unlocks and reports from others.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For as many weird regressions and questionable design choices as there are, I am seeing probably 1/20th as many gameplay bugs as VT2 on launch. it’s borderline shocking how little jank there is compared to that reference point. Technical issues like crashes/disconnects/performance are there, but I’m seeing a minimum of cases in the moment-to-moment gameplay where something happens that obviously isn’t right. The game feels like it actually works as designed. Fatshark continues to be completely unpredictable in every way

I wrote from my previous beta experience that I had a highly negative impression of the game but would keep an eye on it because of the fatshark chaos factor, and sure enough they surprised me in a good way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

What program do yall use to record game footage? I've never done it before but got a new comp and want to dabble.

E: I would put gameplay footage here to avoid a shameful snipe if I had any

OBS replay buffer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

S.J. posted:

At this point I'm more concerned about killing 50 enemies stunned by my grenades within 10s. Outside of just chucking 2x grenades and whipping out a flamethrower into a horde I have no idea how that would work but then your team would have to be actively not killing things.

isn't there currently some bug where you can make bleed trigger on anyone you hit with your grenades, plus bleed never expires? Seems like that would kill a group of basic zombies on its own, if they don't fix that in a day anyway.

Kaysette posted:

I need more scrolls and wax seals on my top. Only reason I care about cheevos.

If I can't turn myself into a mummy with scrolls and seals then I don't care about them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/kyD4tSV.mp4

That's one way to kill a trapper

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The weekly stuff looked essentially placeholder so I’ve chosen to ignore it since I saw quests like “complete 6 secondary objectives on [specific map]” which would be enough of a lol on its own if mission selection wasn’t limited by a lovely early pd2 crimenet that restricts difficulty choice and might not spawn the map with a secondary objective at all, plus my completion rate of those objectives is maybe 10% since no one knows where the books spawn

If it’s still this bad in two weeks then that’s a real problem

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The revolver is definitely the ranged weapon that made the best first impression on zealot so far. I want my ranged weapon to quickly and easily erase specials at any range and so far this has been the best weapon at doing that. Anything else a ranged weapon does is secondary to me. I hope it continues to be usable at higher difficulties

This is also the only game I’ve played to animate a revolver reload differently for each possible number of bullets left when you start, which is weirdly high effort and neat

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Schofield speedloader is my favorite pistol in hunt so I would love a speedloader variant for the revolver.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't care how lore inaccurate it would be or whatever, I want an option to change the color of my team's lasers to blue on my screen so I can tell them apart from enemy lasers.

I also hope they add the coherency pips back to the UI. It was weird that they were in the previous beta but then removed and replaced with a generic buff icon in this one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

Wait, that wee lil chainsword is supposed to be an Eviscerator? Yeah that needs to be larger, its far too small.

There is a one handed and a two handed chainsaw, they're different weapons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I haven't tried playing for a few days as I was getting enough crashes to be annoying. This was before Plasteel and Diamantine were in the game.

I suspect my worker threads were too high, it defaults to 14 and I'm on the 5800x3d 8 core 16 thread. (Every notch I took it down seemed to help some with crashes)

I was told the magic number is your number of physical cores so you would want 8. Leaving it at 6 on my 6 physical/12 logical processor CPU has given me a total of 2 in-mission crashes in 18 hours of game time, which isn’t too bad compared to people crashing every hour

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Beloved! There’s a shitposter in my dream!