Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fuligin posted:

it's wild to me that they made a whole new enemy faction with expansion for v2 and nobody plays it. what's the deal there

I've never found beastmen to be like, so offensively bad that I would avoid the entire DLC. Like it's kind of a waste of money but people who really hate beastmen, I just don't see it. I mean after like hundreds of hours of VT2 I barely pause long enough to notice the they're beastmen, and the elite chargers are actually quite interesting from a gameplay perspective because they actually break your ranks and get into your back lines somewhat. And I like the minotaur, I think he's legitimately scary. I do think that they are poorly animated though.

Also it is definitely true that the Winds of Magic game mode is itself kind of a waste of time. Mostly just buy it for the weapons and if they don't interest you don't get it.

DeathSandwich posted:

Avoid Winds of Magic.

For Saltz, Bounty hunter is probably his best class. The active ability just ruins bosses and if you can land headshots with it you can stunlock a boss to death in like 5 seconds. He'll also one-shot chaos warriors on basically any difficulty.

WHC is, no joke, possibly one of the best classes in the game. By the end of his tree you can hit one button to cut through an entire rank of storm vermin and refill half your health bar with temp HP in one go. And dodge range increase means you can do things like tank a boss for your whole team without getting hit. But he's not as flashy as zealot or BH and doesn't do quite as much single target DPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've got an older ugly monitor and whatever is going on between my card and my CPU has resulted in games that just don't... look... great? They tend to be blurry, shadows don't really render well, and I usually have to play around with AA settings in most games to get something that doesn't look like it was covered in either Vaseline or observed through the wrong of a telescope. It's become a ritual with every new game where I have to gently caress with settings for like forty-five minutes because I can figure out what settings are causing the problem. I used to think it was upscaling but there are some games where I turn it off and it fixes the problem and others where turning it off causes the problem.

I'm sure Darktide will be no different. I got the beta to a point where it ran smoothly but the light/dark areas seemed very matte.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

CODChimera posted:

eventually if you stick with the game you'll just play any/every class you want to yeah?

i know there's gear but its nowhere near as time consuming as an mmo...i hope...

In VT2 the game had a pretty decent grind but it was definitely something you could "finish" in a modicum of time. If you stuck to one character and were reasonably competent at the game you could hit max level quickly and if you weren't concerned about the "best" gear you could have good gear in a similar amount of time. Maximizing everything is a larger time investment but also an unnecessary one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm having an issue where the game lets me click play, thinks about it for like a second, and then closes. It's not even really crashing it's just like failing to open.

Ah beta.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

my dog this is the live video feed of the servers right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOwJchkKS_4

I'm not upset, but this isn't a server issue. The game isn't even launching.

My guess is it's EAC related.

EDIT: I figured it out. It was indeed EAC related.

For some reason the play button in steam pointed directly to the darktide exe but the game won't run unless you use the EAC shortcut (defaults to "start_protected_app" in the Darktide folder). Why my steam decided to point at an unusable EXE is anybody's guess but it works.

Double EDIT: Long live backend error!

EDIT EDIT: Don't do this actually, it doesn't work. It turns out I still had old Darktide data in my %appdata% folder that I needed to delete and it fixed the problem.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 17, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Corbeau posted:

Aight, anyone got reports on the first day about low-end hardware performance compared to the open beta?

I've got a 1660 super so while not 'low end' precisely I'm rocking a mid-low tier vcard.

Performance is good! There are definitely some things that older cards don't like, namely the ambient visuals like smoke or fire tank FPS for a second or two. If you crank the visuals down too low character models get a little muddy, so medium tier is still pretty good, mess with your settings and monitor FPS to find balance you like the most. Definitely better than the first beta.

Unrelated to my hardware there are definitely still some fatshark specials in here. Enemy animations break sometimes and they float or glide which is the exact same problem VT2 has that's never been completely fixed. Lots of little graphical glitches, like characters holding two weapons. I tend to get dumped from the game during the crescendo, which at first I thought was performance except it seems to happen after all the excitement. Fortunately you can log straight back into your game so unless your party is dicks you can get back in quick enough to finish the mission.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mordja posted:

Just curious, are you running at 1080 or 1440? I have a 1070.

1080. My monitor is also poo poo, fortunately.

EDIT: So I assume this is a 'servers getting turbofucked' problem but checking to make sure.

During the crescendo or often just waiting for the extraction I usually get a "nonexisting_channel" error that bounces me back to character select. The game makes it pretty easy to reconnect but when I rejoin the game is very unstable and at least once I've entered a loop of 'nonexisting_channel' errors that makes me unable to join but also prevents my team from being able to finish the mission because I'm in a liminal state of in the game and not in the game. In this last loop it eventually graduated to a handshake error which I recognized as a more common internet-based error.

Anybody else have something like this?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 18, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ashtarath posted:

So i haven't been able to get past the title screen
"Backend error
Error signing in"

So this is almost certainly an EAC error; while the servers are definitely on fire, they aren't that bad.

I had an issue that looked almost exactly like yours but it isn't exactly the same. I'll tell you the steps I saw and how I fixed it and maybe it'll help? Sorry if not.

So initially when I first downloaded the game, I'd press Play in steam, it'd think for a second, and then decide it didn't want to play after all. I thought, well, that's probably an EAC error, so rather then running from the EXE I was running from an EAC EXE in the Darktide folder called "run protected app" or something similar, which would open Darktide and I was like gently caress yeah here we go, but then when I got to the splash screen I got infinite backend errors on space press, just like you're describing.

So I went into my %appdata% folder and deleted EAC and Darktide data, which turns out I had old Darktide data in there from the previous beta. Verified all files and ran the game, and it worked.

I hope this is helpful but recognize it may not address your exact problem.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

field balm posted:

Is there a way to turn on outline for your team like in vermintide? Also, in the older games I was using mouse wheel down for tag, doesn't seem to work in this game? It'll let me bind it but it doesn't seem to function

The outline should be on by default, it appears as a disembodied skeleton and circulatory system that you can see through walls. And ping does default to M3, I don't know if it's compatible with a scroll direction. You might have to pick a key, I'm not sure.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

General Morden posted:

has anybody else been getting like what feels like 999 ping and severe desync, in-game?

doesn't even matter who I'm playing with, it's the same situation that eventually leads to a disconnect...

What disconnect error are you getting perchance

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting. I just had a game where we all got disconnected. I came back to the session with 3 bots. In Vermintide that would have just killed the game, no? Something going on in the background keeping game session data active.

You should definitely report this.

I've been having this 'fun' bug where I get about 20 minutes into a match and suddenly DC with a "nonexisting_channel" error. Then I try to rejoin. Sometimes, I boot the whole team and I'm in a game with three bots; sometimes my team rejoins and somethings they don't. Sometimes, I get kicked again immediately, and as long as I keep trying to rejoin my team can't finish the mission.

You can see how this would be a pretty terrible experience for not just me but the entire team.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've played a ton over the last couple of days. I'm really enjoying the game but like everyone says it's definitely not 'done'. I haven't had a single game go by without a disconnect and while I can reconnect relatively easily it's obvious it's a bug and not just the servers getting hammered because I'm getting a DC error very few other people are getting - it's definitely an interaction somewhere but hosed if I know what it is. I imagine everyone is experiencing some shade of this - weird poo poo happening that is unique to them, on top of the bugs everyone is experiencing altogether. On top of that the game just feels very unoptimized and variable performance wise. The idea that a current gen videocard is basically required to play the game is a bit offputting and I'm sure it's going to result in some broken expectations down the line.

All that being said there's nothing here I didn't expect. It's a really fun game if you look past all that and Vermintide was the same way - VT2's entire first year was an utter shitshow and people forgive it now because they played a very late gen version of that game that was mostly polished, but let me tell you, it was not always that way. Fatshark has been uncharacteristically communicative about this game and if they can keep that momentum, I think most of the people who aren't just trying to jump on the next big game wagon will be pleased with it. It's definitely going to have a wave of, 'lol game is so broken' though, so brace for that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've noticed this tonight, too. I think it's server issues. It wasn't as bad on Thursday.

The game doesn't seem to start the mission until everyone has loaded it so it may also be people in your group dragging rear end.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I will say the arbitrary numbers on some of the weapons feel kind of bad, but I also no longer remember what the leveling experience was like in VT2. I do feel like a lot of weapons (both ranged and melee) just don't kill basics in a single hit, or else the death animation takes so long to play it just feels like that. I shouldn't need to nail every headshot to kill the game's basic units. Anything tougher, sure, but I should be able to reliably one shot trash with just about any weapon.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I get there is a level of Fatshark jank to be expected, I played way more vt2 at launch than I should have. Crafting not being ready for release has me :catstare:-ing harder than anything else, especially given how weird and inconsistent getting new gear and upgrades can be. I figured they were holding back for launch because they didn't want beta people getting too much time on it and/or curbing crafting material stockpiling. It just not being ready is a while other level of wtf.

It makes me wonder what they could be referencing for the launch day surprise. What could they have ready to spring that wouldn't pull dev cycles away from finishing core functionality? A day 0 5th character could be a potential if they already had art and voice assets stewing since the announcement trailer, and getting like a ratling or commissar or the like could be interesting.

It will be a t-shirt for the Ogryn. It will have the fatshark logo on the back, and "MY LARGE SON" on the front.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Zealot went up an order of magnitude in fun when the flamer and chainsword appeared in the shop at level 15.

What a fantastic game design to not have those super cool weapons available until I put a bunch of hours into the game, and instead have much less fun weapons available. I know when I start playing a new game I look forward to ah, earning the fun.

Yeah what's more is that regular swords and axes just seem worse than the high tier unlocks? I mean like the flamer is obviously situational but the melee options don't really feel like trade offs.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm only level 15 but pugging Malice has been a lot of fun, I feel like I have a more than half success rate and really I don't want to be winning every game but I'm weird like that.

Zealot main and just got my first chainsword and I've been using the stubby revolver. A lot of people hate this thing but man the revolver feels good, ammo issues notwithstanding. Things you shoot at actually die, which is more than I can say for most of the guns at my level.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wait so why haven't we gotten more maps with this patch and why did they completely gloss over that in the patch notes? I really hope we're not playing the same 4 maps for another week.

It does seem that way yeah.

Though they've never really qualified what the difference between a zone and a mission is.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's hard to say how good or bad the early game weapons are. There are a lot of factors that conspire to muddy the waters.

For instance in VT2 each weapon filled a role but the only stat that really mattered when leveling was, "how many hits does it take to kill x/y/z common enemy?" Taking 3 swings to kill a basic enemy sucks and 2 feels much better, but that can be the difference of literally 1 point of damage and because of all the variables (weapon type, stats, hero power, buffs) can be difficult to predict when you're in the shop. So the net result is, I buy a sword at level 3 and it sucks, I buy the next available hatchet, it feels better. But is that because the hatchet is better or is it the other variables?

Then there's the fact that weapons in darktide don't have clear roles. In vt2 Victor's weapons are always usable at any level and have clear use cases. Giant sword? Big horizontal swings, good for hordes. Rapier? Fast, precise defensive weapon that requires a little skill to use but has a lot of positives. Hatchet? Good for opening cans, not much else.

Roles in darktide seem to be some mix of weapon type and moveset. It's not longer visually simple to remember, "oh I like hatchets they're good against armor" because you might get one with the same moveset as your sword.

They need to do something about the weapon variants they don't really do anything except make the game more confusing.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 28, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Controversial take: while I agree bad vets with bad aim and bad attitudes exist I also think VT2 pros need to take a step back.

First a lot of these people are new to the series. The game looks and sounds like a shooter so of course people will choose to primarily shoot; nothing in the game says "melee is the default" and the creators have repeatedly called it a hybrid game, so 50/50 would be the expectation of even a very informed newbie. Second, ranged fire is just different in this game. You can't have a team that is 90% melee who just occasionally pulls out a crossbow to dumpster specials occasionally.

What I'm saying is:lower your expectations. I cannot tell you how bad the VT2 community was on release and are in many ways still bad.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Has anyone figured out what the distinction between mission and zone is yet? Because it feels like we have more than 4 maps but I know they flip the maps for some missions so... eh?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This is all picking nits.

People are going to block shots, hoover ammo, and shoot when it's suboptimal. You can either internalize your mental boogeyman and inch closer to the disconnect button every time an ogryn blocks you or a vet shoots an enemy when maybe he shouldn’t, or you can rip the bong and chill.

Like yeah there are people who do those things but I've seen people jump to conclusions about the quality of their team mates over a couple of bullets or a single mistake. Don't internalize the negativity. Hit more chaos.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think there's going to be a big rush to buy the game, a lot of people will bounce off it - bugs, difficulty, lack of polish, just fundamentally misunderstanding the genre - and there will be another six month period of "lol Darktide". This is the cycle of all highly anticipated games now. poo poo's like clockwork.

If Fatshark responds to that will determine the long term health of the game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

sure okay posted:

lmao get the gently caress out of here I'm not paying 165000 spacebux for a loving cosmetic helmet

:laughs in Deep Rock Galactic:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Played today. Overall, massively improved experience.

Framerate was like 25% more stable, no server disconnects. I played a Malice mission and it felt like specials have been doubled; we got through it but it felt like a struggle the whole time which is exactly the feeling you want from these games, achievable but constantly making little choices or flourishes to save your squad. I heard some people complaining about Zealot hammer but I think it's my new best friend; it's the first weapon I've found where you don't have to do some whacky combo to get a wide sweep and it has enough weight to not just get stuck on the first moderately armored guy in a crowd.

My next request would be for them to explain somewhere what things like Impact or Bleed actually do. How do I know I want a 20% chance of Impact if that's not clear what it is?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

I need to watch some streamers for a little bit to get better. Sometimes it's very clear that I go down because I made a mistake, but other times it just feels like my team is not providing support or targeting the right things. Like if I have a horde locked down as zealot and there's 20 guys out of my range shooting me, and my team isn't occupied, they should be suppressing the shooters, right? I feel like instead 99% of the time they are mag dumping into the horde while I get cut to ribbons because the ranged units have free reign to go ham. Maybe it's my fault for assuming the sharpshooter will even be paying attention to where ranged fire is coming from. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong with my positioning.

I'm assuming the other players are playing little kid soccer but don't they want to use their guns to shoot other gun mans?

This is one of the great questions that's honestly going to take some time to solve. I'm also playing Zealot and also having the same experience, but I also remember that when I walk into a room with a ranged squad in it I have to find cover or get destroyed, so I assume my Vets are having the same experience. They might also not have a good line of fire - one of the things hoards do very well is stop you from being able to see the ranged guys well so given they are behind you they might have an even worse angle than you do. And in much the same way you're probably thinking, 'why aren't they dealing with all this ranged fire' they're probably thinking, 'how the gently caress did these 3-4 poxwalkers get in my face, where's the Zealot.'.

One of the things VT taught me is that everybody kind of needs to be self-sufficient. Like if you're taking a big risk that requires another team mate to protect you, you're probably going to have a bad time. I agree that it feels intuitive that a ranged guy should probably see that you've tied up the melee and think, 'this is my opportunity to kill the enemy back-ranks' but you never really know what things look like on his screen. Maybe he gets destroyed when he pokes out of cover. Maybe he's reloading. Maybe a toddler just vomited on his feet IRL and he stopped paying attention.

The interaction of big groups of enemy lazgunners and the like are an open question as to how best to deal with them at the moment. I have stopped trying to close distance or 'tank' or anything of that sort and if I see a room full of enemy ranged units, I just take cover with the vet instead of trying to create an effective front line. I don't know that it's better but it's how I'm dealing with getting constantly perforated.

EDIT: page is sexnumber

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow new mechanicus store! I wonder how I’ll get the resources needed

Three maps is about enough for me to get a green to a blue so that's something.

At least the resources are shared now unlike the last beta lol.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Something is definitely going on with special spawns on Malice.

I don't know if it's intentional or not but drat.

EDIT: This feels a bit like that VT2 bug where it just doubled all special spawns for some reason.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

The problem I'm running into with pub teams is people not watching their backs.
Sometimes I'll be standing at the back, I can hear a trapper or a hound or a burster coming, or there's a little mob of dregs on our tail, and I'll pause to clear them off so we aren't getting pincered, and when I turn around the rest of my team are half a mile ahead. And if I don't do that, and try and stick to the middle of the pack, then none of my teammates ever look behind them and suddenly we're caught between a rock and a hard place.

This is the essential problem that occurred in VT 1 and 2 really. There are a couple of compounding problems here - it looks like enemies will basically stick to your back when you're facing away from them, so in addition to having a faster movement speed to the characters enemies do cheat a bit to catch up. The other issue that's unique to DT is that in VT your ranged weapons served two purposes when you weren't wasting ammo - dumpstering specials and killing stragglers. Here, ranged weapons have more than two roles (the two above, plus suppression and counter-range) so there's a lot of competition for that headspace.

I keep my head on a swivel and regularly get surrounded I can't imagine what happens to people with no spatial awareness.

EDIT:

quote:

Sab Sabbington posted:
I get why people might not enjoy this, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm looking for and the reason I play these games on the higher difficulties. Getting into a flow state where you're split-second considering the best order to address tons of priority targets and having it go off successfully as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever felt in a co-op game. I have no doubt a large part of it being fun is because I have a full group of friends I play with consistently and we all have the same kind of broken brain, but I love this poo poo.

For example: The most fun moment I've had so far was a really tight battle with a Beast of Nurgle that I clutched out--or would have if I'd be able to get one more headpop in. Instead it ate me, carried me away, and spit me out into a patrol of ragers and maulers. It loving ruled.

This is one of the reasons why modifiers are so critical though and where the contracts or whatever they were called in VT2 failed - additional difficulty can be fun and is fun but it needs to be something you can opt into. "Endless Hoard" is a fun modifier but it should be something you toggle, not the default state for what amounts to the entry level end game content.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 24, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I'd also like to know if character level makes a difference in that regard.

Other than that, the only way to objectively improve your character is by buying higher-rated weapons at the Armoury Exchange, right? And I guess weapons can be upgraded at the Shrine of the Omnimessiah? Basic questions, but I'm still figuring things out

e: the shrine is saying I need 50 ??? (looks like a crate) to consecrate my green weapon

TBH Have we even definitively determined that Hero Power exists?

Like I played hundreds of hours of VT2 I know how it works over there. And I can see the numbers on the weapons, and they seem to rise as I buy new weapons, so like, yeah it sounds obvious, but has anyone actually run experiments to see if it runs the same way? I've seen no statement from FS on it. It seems logical that they would just port over the same system but :fatshark:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

This isn't what I'm doing, the solution I'm thinking of is to wait for ranged to get overwhelmed and then engage because then maybe they'll switch to melee. If I engage in melee and tar pit enemies, my team is either going to continue killing things I'm already killing, or run off to find glory elsewhere. I think I just need to let them take damage.

I mean yeah that's kind of what I'm doing too. I basically just switch to ranged, take cover, and take potshots at the enemy ranged units same as the vets. If we get swamped by minions in melee, I either try to stay behind cover or withdraw to a doorway or something and if my team can't figure it out than gently caress em frankly.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BombiTheZombie posted:

Oh it was hillarious, for sure! Luckily it happened at the start of a mission and not after a gruelling 20+ minute run, but ill be super paranoid around any sort of instakill pit from now on.

I mean you already should be. Mutants, poxbursters, hell even an exploding barrel will do it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean "Kruber is gonna be a grail knight" was a long running rumor a lot of people didn't want to believe because it wouldn't "make sense" and then it turned out to be good and also funny.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I just played a match with a level 20ish Zealot who was trying to speedrun the Torrent/Water Supply map on Endless Hoard malice. Within seconds I was pretty sure this was going to my third failed attempt of the night.

It was the opposite. Guy was just a straight lightning bolt and we just struggled to hang onto his coattails. poo poo was wild.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh I'll have to try out the revolver. I skipped it because of people in here saying it was trash.

Long reload time I'm fine with. If there's a billion zombies boiling across a bridge I'm going for my chain sword and spamming stun grenades. I need something punchy and accurate for deleting poo poo like pox bursters, charging dogs, snipers that no one else seems to be concerned about, etc. I can reload after poo poo calms down.

I used the revolver almost exclusively on my Zealot. It's pinpoint accurate from across the map and is excellent for killing snipers or dangerous specials.

It's weakness is that it has no real answer for large squads of basic range guys. Like you can headshot them and I probably waste more ammo doing that than anything else, but it's obviously not as efficient at that job as say, a lasgun or any other high ammo weapon. Given that Zealot already has issues running into laser fire that can put you in a rough spot if you don't plan carefully.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also endless hoard is way too frequent for how much more difficult it makes the levels.

Does quickplay favor endless hoard or is it just my rng? There were 2 or 3 malice missions available last night but all five of my runs were endless hoard water supply.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

field balm posted:

There's not a weapon with kruber's executioner sword's movement, is there?

The heavy sword does a straight overhead swing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Insert meme pic of, "me trying not to mention Cadia for 30 seconds."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I don't know how people get these weird ideas about certain weapons being garbage. In a hundred hours across every class I've not hit a melee weapon in particular I thought was bad, and the only ranged weapon I've truly disliked was the burst fire head hunter autogun and like, the autopistol.

Level gating. When you first start your weapons suck. So you learn those weapons suck. More exotic weapons unlock as levels and hero power rise, giving you the false impression the newer weapons are just better.

That's leaving aside the fact that later weapons are rarely balanced as well because they're playtested less. A fully charged zealot hammer can do thousands of damage under the right conditions, that's going to leave a hell of an impression when up until that point you couldn't even one shot grunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Talents in general are weak. I feel like until we get a real sense of how item perks work at higher levels and how they stack with feats that's not likely to change soon. Very few feats change how I play. Mostly they just make me play the exact same way. There's one zealot feat that gives the whole team back 20% toughness when I use my active and that's the only one on the whole list that feels substantially different in play. The others are there and they work but +20% damage is never going to feel "powerful" in a hectic melee, you just can't tell.