Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Crosspeice posted:

Welcome to the world of Pokemon! I'm just some guy on the internet, but what is Pokemon? Well, it's a bunch of fun RPGs and also the biggest financially successful franchise of all time. But you're not here for the cool stats, you're here to understand why this franchise is still going after all these years, and why the weed cat is wearing a sparkly hat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

My wife's car is in the shop so she's taking my car to work tomorrow so I won't be able to pick up my copy of the game until tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

you could buy it digital, download it right loving now and play it in like 4 hours.

For a great number of reasons I would prefer to have physical.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Scromit Comet posted:

Also how is the grasshopper's evolution? I'm pretty meh on it but also I found it as my first shiny of the gen so kinda feel a little loyal to the lil guy!

It's a Kamen Rider. That's all you need to know.

(Okay but seriously it has great speed and attack, a good typing, and a solid movepool.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

How’s the stage before that out of curiosity and how soon does it evolve?

Kind of meh, it doesn't get a decent Bug stab until 22 and then evolves at 24. Until then you're relying on Assurance and Double Kick to deal damage.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Terastallizing is going to be fine and fun in PVP where you can play mindgames and have to try and work around it, but in the singleplayer it just kind of sucks. It doesn't give the same dopamine rush as going Mega or Dynamax or even throwing out a Z-Move.

Oh I get a dumb hat, thanks, awesome. Shame you're going to make me run all the way back to the Pokemon center to recharge it, but thanks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Tera Types themselves are more important than Tetrastallizing. Because Tera Blast can get you coverage that you wouldn't necessarily have otherwise.

Tera Blast only gives you that coverage when you Terastallize though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The main reason they don't include a Battle Frontier anymore is because the Battle Frontier fuckin' sucks. Most of the facilities are absolutely horrible and playing through them to try and get what rewards they have is an absolute fuckin' slog.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

For the last three episodes they’ve also been doing little shorts at the end involving Team Rocket in Paldea encountering the starters one by one

At any rate I kind of hope the next series goes back to basics at the very least (as in, focused on one region only). They already did “Ash goes to school” back in SuMo but it’s possible they might repeat it again here.

Ash should go back to school as the teacher.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Speaking of Meowscapade, here’s another preconceived notion I’ve probably retained since GenI/II: are grass and bug still incredibly/relatively weak, or do the newer gens not have fire types around every corner?

Bug as a typing is one of the weakest types in the game, if not the weakest, and I say this as someone who has Bug as my favorite type. Any good Bug type Pokemon are good in spite of their typing, not because of it.

Grass is a good type. Always been a good type, always will be a good type. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Steel makes up for it by having all the resistances in the world though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

The thing with Bug type is that they typically make bug pokemon quick to evolve, which means lower overall stats and worse move pools. Even the non-evolving ones feel like they are intentionally weaker.

Which sucks because Beedrill, Parasect, Durant and Shuckle are some of my all time favourites. :(

Durant has seen some competitive play in more restricted formats, at least.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Raids in this game are absolutely miserable and filled with jank that I hope Game Freak fixes.

Oh no you have your shield up well I would LOVE to break it but I can't go Tera because you keep stealing from my Tera orb.

Oh sure let the raid boss get like a hundred turns in a row while I just sit here not getting to do anything that works great too!

OH SURE LET'S GIVE THE RAID BOSS COUNTER GREAT GUESS WE JUST LOSE BECAUSE THREE OF OUR TEAM MEMBERS IN THIS RAID ARE PHYSICALLY ORIENTED THAT'S FANTASTIC.

God, I miss SS-style raids. :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Anything that can put your entire party to sleep so you're forced to sit there impotently watching the timer tick down.

Giving Yawn to raid Pokemon is a dick move.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hammerite posted:

ok I am 4 for 4 on Charizard raids now, starting to think they are in fact not very hard.

The Charizard raid is basically solved and everyone knows what they're doing for it so as long as you know what you're getting into and come prepared it's pretty drat easy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bodhidharma posted:

How do Pokemon Scarlet & Violet compare to the other games in the franchise? I'm not sure if it's worth playing, but I haven't played one of these games since Sun & Moon.

Honestly they're some of the best games in the franchise, especially once you enter the final portions of the story.

They're a bit janky and buggy but most of the issues are easy to overlook. I'd definitely say check them out if you're interested.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wish that raids were taken in turns rather than the current system. I just can't parse out what is even happening half the time. People go out of order? I have to wait half an hour for my turn while the other people fight back and forth? Oh, you put out a cheer to heal up everyone, but in the time it took to process that command they all died, so whoops.

I'm sure there's reasons for it but it looks like poo poo.

Sword/Shield raiding was better than the bullshit we have now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Penny is bullied, wears programmer socks, her ace is a Sylveon, and when she goes to Terastyllize it she yells something like 'become the star you were meant to be!'

She 100% reads as trans and every other trans person I know has picked up on it and loves her.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Since we’re finally moving away from Ash I’m hoping she’ll have a decent role in the upcoming anime as well (she seems like a character you could really have some fun with)

Speaking of DLC, has any of that actually been officially confirmed yet?

It hasn't been officially confirmed but going off the leakers and the stuff hinted at in the game it's most certainly happening.

We'll probably hear about it relatively soon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Oh I have no doubt about that, I was just curious if we’d actually gotten any concrete info yet (I imagine we’ll probably get said DLC sometime this year)

The SS DLC was announced right at the start of the January after the game released so I'd wager we'll hear something by the end of this month/start of next month. I hope, anyway.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Are the psychic ostrich and metal earthworm actually good? They are probably my favorite new ones from s/v

Espathra is great. Looks cool, has two great abilities, more than pulls it's weight in battle.

I'm curious where it stands in competitive, let's look at Smo--IT'S IN UBERS?!

I knew the Gaga bird was strong but I didn't think it was THAT strong.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The worm is in OU, it's got Body Press and 145 defense, 'nuff said.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now that we're a good few months into SV what do people think of Terastilizing? It's definitely better than Dynamax in my opinion, I think it's better than Z-Moves. I still have a soft spot for Mega Evolution though.

I'm not really a fan. I still like Mega Evolutions the most and the farming of Tera shards is such a ridiculously boring grind.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Normal type gets a bad rap in the series as a whole for two major reasons: nearly all of the normal types in the early generations were weak early route pokemon (the ratatta and pidgey variants every game has) or weird gimmicks that don't really work well in normal story playthroughs, and normal type doesn't interact much with the type chart - it isn't super effective against anything, and it doesn't resist anything other than having ghost immunity - which runs contrary to how a lot of people play through the games i.e. strong offensive pokemon with a variety of move types that can beat just about everything with super effective attacks.

There is nothing preventing a normal type pokemon from having good stats and a good early movepool besides Game Freak not designing them that way, which it seems like is the case in this gen. Which is good imo.

Between Chansey, Tauros, and Snorlax and to a lesser extent Persian, Normal types were arguably the best type in Gen I as long as you discount Mew and Mewtwo, natch.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What are the best options to use for this Decidueye raid?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Reminder that Rhydon can learn Surf even in RBY.

There was even an anime episode about how ridiculous it is!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait really? That's the whole reason I brought it up cause I don't remember the anime acknowledging Rhydon can learn surf.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EP204

It's one of the more fun Johto filler episodes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

dungeon cousin posted:

There are a lot of Grass/Ghost types now.

Six of them! Perfect for a full team!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

e: Battle Frontier was terrible post game content and Im glad its dead and gone. :colbert:

I agree.

The Tower has always been fine but the other Frontier facilities range from bad to 'oh god this is torture why would anyone want to do this'.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

I don't know why Ceruledge needs an advertisement but I'm not complaining. Every purple Pokemon is automatically my friend.

They're doing this whole Ceruledge spotlight thing across the various Pokemon media, it's kind of weird but I'm not complaining, it's one of my favorite Gen IX 'mons.

https://tcg.pokemon.com/en-us/ceruledge/

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

Like Blue, Blue was an rear end in a top hat. He was always one step ahead of you, and he wanted you to know it. There was satisfaction in sending him back to the Pokecenter.

Blue wasn't an rear end in a top hat. He was kind of a jerk and rough around the edges, but he was always giving you advice and hints on what to do next.

I think a lot of people get him and Gary from the anime mixed up. Gary WAS an rear end in a top hat right up until he washed out of the Indigo tourney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Gary did chill out in the anime eventually though but I forget how long it took

The two episodes right before Johto began.

He shows up at the lab with his brand new Eevee, saves the gang from Team Rocket, he and Ash have a battle, and he takes off for the new region.

Most of his appearances in the Johto seasons having him way cooled down and more level headed.

Nanigans posted:

He kept going after that too. Ash did beat him in a 6v6 in Johto. Ash’s Charizard beat Gary’s Blastoise which we found out was his starter, Squirtle.

He then decides to follow in his grandpa’s footsteps and become a professor.

And that battle is fuckin' awesome because it starts off with Ash going 'sorry Pikachu, he's seen you fight a thousand times before, he knows all your tricks, you're sitting this one out so we can catch him off-guard'.

I think it's the one and only time in the entire series that Pikachu gets completely benched for a battle.