Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
4 and a half more hours here. :dogcited: Gonna get my weed cat and wear my stupid orange pinstripe pants all over town. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Vandar posted:

For a great number of reasons I would prefer to have physical.

Broken record as this point but you can get it at GameStop at 11 pm tonight so you aren't stuck waiting on your wife's car all day tomorrow. Not sure if it's too late to preorder or what though.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Countblanc posted:

man just playing this game feels awful. i was ready for the Big bugs like characters t-posing in cutscenes or stretching like Luffy. that stuff makes me laugh. or like that gif of the trainer whose arm bends the wrong way during the photo mode as a flying mon just phases through her dome, basically anything that makes a funny gif is cool by me!

but the actual moment-to-moment stuff really drags the experience down and is sapping my desire to keep playing. framerate stuff bothers me not because it looks bad, but because it makes your character feel less responsive and worse to control. similarly it feels like every action has a huge delay and pause - throwing a pokemon takes forever, starting battles isn't nearly as snappy as it needs to be (and was in previous games, including PLA), walking around towns feels like really awful. the environments are super sparse in terms of both foliage and npcs. the mons look better than previous 3D entries but any time the camera pans around the world and an npc goes "look at the beautiful landscapes you can explore!!" it feels like parody.

just interacting with the games basic features like moving around the world or navigating menus just doesn't have the snap to it that rpgs need to not feel glacial. idk. i'm just really disappointed. ill keep with it because i want to hear all the great music (though itd be nice if trailers had more than one [1] pokemon so i could hear the battle theme without deliberately sandbagging) and learn all the new mons and moves, but this is by far the least fun ive had just piloting a character in an rpg in some time.

Same here. I only got to play for an hour and half last night but everything just felt incredibly sluggish and unfun. The frame rate was garbage the whole time and it made even simple traversal on foot feel stuttery and unpleasant. I had multiple other issues including a black screen in the loving starting house while trying to walk down the stairs, and I had to mash buttons to get out. I hope Gamefreak finally gets significant enough backlash that the people in charge start to care, because this is insane. Like, I knew it would have issues but this is kinda bumming me out. Maybe I should try handheld because people itt seem to be having better luck that way.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 18, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Holy crap gimmighoul is tiny! I thought a rock had a single hair but lo and behold, it was a little guy.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

So what did y'all name your bread dogs? :kimchi:

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Sesq posted:

lol I haven't made it to the school yet but I caught a Dreepy by finding a route up a cliff behind the western path to Mesagoza where there were a bunch of Pokemon on another cliff. I targetted one, threw the Pokeball, and it teleported me to the other side, jumping to Area 4

I just did the exact same thing. Chucked a ball across that gap and popped over to area 4. Tried to catch Maschiff but it kept killing all my Pokemon with a single bite lol.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

The second battle with Nemona just made me realize that I vastly prefer the cinematic battles with all the fun camera angles over the usual free camera. In most battles, the view is boring and static, your only option to swivel around at one distance. That's obviously fine for wild mons, but I kinda wish all trainer battles had it. I didn't notice a lot of cute details in my critters' animations until now. Would be a cool setting to enable.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Do the tera raid battles get harder? I've done a few and the Pokemon usually dies so fast I don't even get a chance to attack.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I found a pack of the dolphin Pokemon but I can't get it yet because I can't swim. :mad:

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

It is seriously amazing, it is honestly just making the experience just that much more magical.

My three favorite so far:

Nemona's Theme (not the battle theme just the regular one)
The Schools Theme (I think it is just the city's theme but I forget :smith:)
Team Star Boss Battle Music

Can't remember what the area below is called, but the music here is my favorite so far. It made me go "oh poo poo!" as soon as it started. Those country rear end beats were bangin, especially during battles.

That said, I've found that I generally enjoy the music more when I'm not on Koraidon. The bombastic nature of his themes makes all the music sound more samey, so sometimes I go on foot just to hear the regular theme of an area. I like all the music though (except the tera gym theme; screw that SwSh chanting bullshit imo.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Is there anywhere to see what all the tablecloths and other picnic items look like before buying? It's super weird that there's no model for them in the shops and I couldn't find a good list online.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Been playing since Red and Blue and I never found a shiny until PLA. It was Murkow. Just found my first shiny in Scarlet. It was Murkow. :magemage:

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I wonder what determines which Pokemon get a floatie in the water and which ones swim. You would think only water types swim, but my Pawmo happily treads water during battles while everyone else gets a float.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, this game was kind of the opposite of sword and shield in that its presentation and initial impression was complete dogshit but when I gave it a second chance after that first night it really grew on me.

Same, I was sad the first night because it seemed lovely at the beginning, but once the world opened up I started having fun. I like this game a lot more than SwSh. SwSh loving sucked; it was a long, unfinished hallway and the CONSTANT cutscenes after you came out of each building in the game drove me crazy. Now you can do whatever you want and people leave you alone for the most part! Yay!

My only major gameplay complaint is that I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't catch everything and battle everyone because I'm getting way too overleveled. It kind of discourages exploration in that way. I don't want to switch up teams all the time. I like my little friends and want to stick with them. Wish you could turn off exp share.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just realized why Tinkaton's shiny is the way it is and that's so loving funny

Why? Is it that she has a red hammer because she makes it from Pawniard and Bisharp parts? Or am I missing something

Edit: I guess the shiny pic I saw was fake because the hammer is more orange and brown. Now I really don't know.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I appreciate y'all still spoilering endgame story. I'm only about halfway through the game and I'm glad I can still read the thread.

funmanguy posted:

I have never been so owned by a video game. I have 399 of the 400 pokemon caught for the dex. The only one I am missing is the one that requires friends.

Which one is this? I think there's a Poke goon discord that may be able to help you out.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I found two items in a cave and couldn't pick them up. Saved and reset the game, and they're gone. I wonder if they went into my inventory or if they're just gone forever. Anyone figured that out?

Edit: I ran away from the cave and came back and they respawned... still can't pick them up. :mad:

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 26, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is this in the mines north of Levincia? If so, I think I know which cave you're talking about. Try dealing with the titan in the area if you haven't already and then look again, that worked for me.

I like how you all knew exactly what cave I was talking about. Coming back after defeating the titan worked. :shrug: Thanks.

Btw, I'm having trouble finding any new special attackers this gen. Using only new mons and my entire team is physical. It seems like gen 9's Pokemon in general are heavily weighted towards being physical, unless the special attackers are all hiding at the top of the map.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I watched this and another vid with more battling and the battles are SO much faster. I start getting tired of battles after playing for a while because there's like a 2 second delay on every action.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I'm thinking about finally learning more about competitive this gen, especially since people are saying it's easier to do with items and such. I'm confused about how IVs and natures affect stat growth. If you changed all of those on a level 100 Pokemon, would it be as good as a Pokemon that had perfect IVs and a good nature from the start?

Also, is there a good thorough guide for getting into this that you guys recommend? I've been doing some reading on Smogon but all of the intro articles on there are from the Black and White days (not sure if it's different enough now to matter.) I also need a guide to what items to use to fix stats, if possible.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Basically this https://vgcguide.com/

Then go to Victory road or someone's YouTube( like Cybertron) and use one of their rental teams to figure out how to play play a team.

Awesome, thank you.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I really love the pictures the game gives you after you earn a badge. It adds to characterization and also makes your character feel a little more alive and part of the world. I've screenshotted every single one so far.

Dr. Stab posted:

With cheap items to max IVs and change nature, ability, EVs and terra type, the only actual hard parts of building a competitive pokemon are hidden abilities and getting 0 attack IVs if you're a grognard.

And, "stat growth" is how the game talks about EVs. Your stats are just a function of your nature, EVs, IVs, and level. Doesn't matter what route you take to get there.

Ohh, okay. That language caused me to have the perception that either IVs or previously accumulated EVs would determine how much they gain each level thereafter. Good to know.

Edit: So there are berries that lower EVs so that you can use vitamins, correct? Can you tell how many berries you need to use by looking at the Pokemon's summary, or do you need to talk to someone who checks that info, or what?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

barclayed posted:

bought scarlet while i was away on thanksgiving break. came home to find out my right joycon is busted and the repair form won't work. fml.

I used the repair service right before the game came out, so I wonder why it's not working for you. I was logged in to my Nintendo account and did it on desktop, maybe try that if you haven't?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

I wish you could decorate your dorm room in some way or like, do anything with it. Use the kitchen to make sandwiches, idk. Put different Poke Dolls on the desk like GSC. It's totally pointless.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Can Pokemon relearn moves that were taught with TMs, or can they only relearn moves they learned naturally? Google wouldn't tell me.

Larryb posted:

Is there anything you can do in your dorm room besides use it as a makeshift PokeCenter for that matter?

That's it as far as I know.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Can someone please tell me what this Pokemon is? I've been seeing it on the mini map everywhere but I've never encountered it. Is it just extra microscopic or something?

Edit: ^ And yeah the boxes are a total slog. I wish you could open all boxes while holding Pokemon. Having to swipe through each one and wait for the sprites to load is annoying.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 30, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

What's wonder trade? Is that a different name for surprise trade? Have I been sending all these Quaxly out to an eternity in the void :ohdear:

Same thing. It used to be called wonder trade but they changed the name.

Edit: And when they said you "can't get Quaxly" they just meant few people send them out, so it's rare that you'll get one compared to the sea of Sprigatito and Fuecoco.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Found a male tera Salandit on the map. Can the gender change on respawn or is this supposed to be a troll?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is there a good resource out there for someone wanting to dip their toes in competitive that's never touched it before? This game has gotten me way more engaged in Pokemon than any other past game and I kinda wanna give it a try. Not wanting to go super serious crazy mode or anything but it'd be fun to give a shot.

Someone in the thread shared this with me
https://www.vgcguide.com/

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Does anyone know why some trainers have black text boxes with a yellow outline compared to the usual white boxes? Are they harder? Give out more money?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

I caught a 5iv HA Cyclizar (with Knock Off and Dark tera type to stop Prankster shenanigans) and got an Ability Patch from the raid yesterday.

Feeling pretty chuffed still.

I need a good nickname, though. Right now it’s named Unlicensed after my boy Licenseless Rider but I don’t love it

If you're attached to the theme you could name him Satoru or Mumen. Licenseless rider is Mumen Rider in Japanese, first name Satoru. I like the Akira suggestion too.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

So when a Pokemon teras, it becomes defensively that type. But if an electric Pokemon teras to a different type, can it now be paralyzed? Or do they retain certain benefits of their original type?

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Stux posted:

simply go to tag tree forest and look for a pineco bcos theyre nearly all dittos for some reason

I haven't been able to catch a single Pineco in this game because every single one has been a ditto. I might have to breed a Forretress.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

hotdog feet posted:

Got my first shiny ever, across any game. Proud owner of a dumb pink mareep and the best i could come up with for a name was Pepto but, drat it, i love my stupid pink sheep.

I read your post this morning, now playing the game and I just found a shiny Mareep too! I didn't even see it for a few seconds because there was a group of Mareep with an Ampharos in the middle, and I don't have Ampharos so I was trying to center the camera on him until my brain went... WAIT

I named mine Cotton Candy :3:

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Is there a good way to get the EV-reducing berries? I'd like to properly train up my main-game team now that I'm rolling in candy from knocking Charizards around.

Areas one and two of the East Province have them all over the ground. The sparkling items are usually (always?) EV berries.

Edit: Went to fact check and I'm also finding conflicting information on which areas it is. I think I remember the psychic gym area and South Province areas six and four having them on the ground. Not sure about the ones above. I'll go check later.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 5, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Okay, WTF?! I just found a shiny Mareep a little while ago, now this??? I have zero buffs going, no shiny charm, no outbreak. Full odds. Just landed on a cliff and there they were.

Practically on top of each other when I started the battle.

I couldn't believe it lol. If anyone in here is good with math, could you estimate what the odds of this happening is? It has to be waaaay less than 1 in 4069.

Wile E. Toyota fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2022

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Also, what does the white glow on trading do? I saw a help message but it did not say.

It shows what the other person doesn't have.

Edit: guess the app didn't update all the new posts for me, sry

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Vandar posted:

Oh sure let the raid boss get like a hundred turns in a row while I just sit here not getting to do anything that works great too!

The timer ticking away while everyone is just frozen doing jack poo poo is really great. One time, my Clodsire got turned around the wrong way and was facing me?? He then jumped backwards a couple spaces toward the enemy, then slooooowly crawled back towards me, THEN turned around the right way and attacked. We ran out of time.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Finally hit credits at 110 hours. Wow! Everything about this game and its story blow SwSh out of the water. The campaign endings as well as the crater story were very satisfying. I'll have to go back and read the spoilered posts to see what everyone's thoughts are. Finished the game with 361 caught so it should be pretty smooth sailing towards the shiny charm.

I think the CG cutscenes really did a lot for the story's charm. The part where everyone hops on Koraidon's back and Arven grabs your hand as you guys fly down was pretty sweet for example.

I'm just happy because I hated SwSh so much that I thought the series was doomed. Really pleasantly surprised this time around despite the game's problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Stux posted:

swoshi was goated and hating it is a sign of severe delerium that requiers incarceration.

Good I'd rather go to jail than play that "game" again