Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Forsythia posted:

This really is a divisive game, and I'm surprised on where my opinion is landing. It's the first core Pokémon game I've played that hasn't resonated with me, and I've been there since the start of the series and played all of them (except for Let's Go and BDSP). Yes, I could get into and enjoy the troubled Sword/Shield generation, but this one is different. I keep poking around for a couple hours, feeling somewhat dissatisfied and frustrated by what I see and experience, and eventually stop. I haven't grown tired of the formula, as I was delighted by Legends Arceus just earlier this year. It's something else.

It feels like something important is missing from Scarlet/Violet. Maybe it's that I think that Legends Arceus did a similar concept far better, with more style and structure. Movement doesn't feel nearly as enjoyable in Scarlet/Violet, and there's there's very little of the fun of stalking, pursuing, and maneuvering around Pokémon in this game. I've only unlocked dashing, swimming, and gliding, but they all feel way less satisfying than their Legends Arceus counterparts. Of course Legends Arceus is a different beast of a game, developed separately and with different objectives, but Scarlet/Violet doesn't nail satisfying movement -- something that should've been very possible for a standard core Pokémon game. And movement and exploration that doesn't feel particularly good is a huge strike against a gigantic open world game. I can deal with ugly graphics and bugs, but there's a huge crack in the foundation of this game that undermines the whole thing. The charming monsters and fun battle system are still there, but they're diluted by a bloated and uninviting world.

I’m having a lot of fun with the game, but I totally feel you on the movement thing. Every time I switch between Pokémon and Animal Crossing, I’m reminded how much more fun it is to run around in Animal Crossing. The sound of your feet hitting the pavement/dirt/grass has a real weight behind it, while in Pokémon, everything’s a bit too light and you can run right through patches of dirt with no collision .Arceus was also better for that, and yeah, it felt great to run around on Wyrdeer. I’m still waiting for a Pokémon game where we can choose our own mounts from among our own Pokémon. I wanna ride around on my Mudsdale, surf on my Lapras, and fly on my Noivern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chamale posted:

I'm thinking about doing an all-pet themed team. Maushold and Houndstone are quite strong, Pawmot is an adorable battle hamster, and Persian is my favourite Pokemon.

You could EV train a level 100 in Gen 1, you just had to deposit it in the PC and then withdraw it again. Some of the old glitched speedruns will do this trick before fighting the Elite Four with their level 100 Nidoking, because the extra stats make a difference in getting some one-shot kills. The live updating of stats after every battle seems new to me.

This is a good game for a pet run. Heck, you could even easily do an all dogs run. I only have 3 badges and have run into Growlithe, Fidough, Houndour, Maschiff, Rockruff, Riolu, and Greiveard.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I took on Mela first, but she wasn’t hard because I just stomped her with my Clodsire. Georgie is aces and with water absorb, he’s a free switch in on water moves.

I’ve only had one loss and it was the fight against Arven. My guys were level 47/48 at the time. I managed to make it aaalll the way to his Mabosstiff and was one hit away from winning when my Dachsbun missed with Play Rough and she was K.O.’d. I was so close. Then I went and did my final Star Base and final gym and came back a few levels higher and beat him. It was still tough though. I appreciated the hard fight.

I’ve now finished the 3 main stories and am just debating if I should do the Elite Four or hunt around for those stakes to unleash the beasts.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I wish you could decorate your dorm room in some way or like, do anything with it. Use the kitchen to make sandwiches, idk. Put different Poke Dolls on the desk like GSC. It's totally pointless.

I thought the same thing. Why give us a dorm room if we can’t really do anything with it? It should work like a secret base as a place to put collectibles. They could even add another storefront for selling posters, dolls, bedding, and furniture. I’m pretty sure the home ec teacher even off handedly mentions students decorating their rooms.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m 16 hours in with 1 gym Badge left and 1 star base left - did I rush? This feels super short but I’ve been running around catching stuff, buying outfits, catching ditto to breed more fabulous duck starters

16 hours? What the heck? When I was at that point I had nearly 40 hours clocked. I just got to the end credits at 76 hours. I beat Shield in 35. This is the longest Pokémon game I’ve ever played.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I'm not sure it's going to be possible to separate out 'nostalgia' from 'I was a literal child when I played it' from 'it was my favourite game in all other ways' to find some kind of Objective Truth on this matter to be honest.

I never played the original Gold and Silver, so I have no nostalgia for them. I did play HeartGold though (as an adult). Following Pokémon was absolutely charming and I’ve been waiting ages for that to come back as a main feature (just too bad most Pokémon can’t keep pace with you when you take them out in ScarVio). However, the game is extremely grindy by the time you get to Claire. Your team is under levelled and there’s only level 30 Gravellers and Gligars to train against. The postgame in Kanto is indeed quite barren and there’s only low level Pokémon to find there, so it’s just running away from endless amounts of low level Pidgeys and Zubats. The fight against Red on a mountaintop was cool though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Apepleptic is particularly excellent. I don't think I've thought of any really good ones yet in this game. It's all movie references like calling the car engine one 'Christine'.

I called mine Christine too! I have Lady the Dachsbun, Gremlin the Grafaiai, Echo the Finizen, and Elvis the blue Squawkabilly. Gonna name another Squawkabilly Fonzie.

And since we started watching Gravity Falls with my daughter, I had to name my Oinkologne Waddles.

My favourite though is Purregano the Meowscarada.

The rest of my team has normal names.

Wanda the Killowattrel
Georgie the Clodsire
Flora the Flamigo
Brigid the Mabosstiff
Gustav the Houndstone
Diego the Ceruledge
Jacques the Baxcalibur
Tina the Tinkaton

A rotating team of 13 by the end game, always remaining just a little lower levelled than my opponents with the exception of a higher level Killowattrel for Thunderwave. I’m kinda glad that a bigger team was needed to not over level because there are so many great new Pokémon this gen and I’ve gotten to use most of my favourites!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Endgame spoilers:

I suppose the idea of the Time Machine and the AI robot professor seem more future oriented so I was wondering if it would be different for the past-obsessed mom. But obviously she would still need a Time Machine! Also, one of the notebooks in a research station on the way down talked about a woman leaving after giving birth to a boy (obviously Arven) but the professor being the mom means that would have to be changed to someone taking him out, I guess?

I took that line to mean that Sada was also a researcher working with Turo, but she decided to raise their son instead of continuing the research. I could be totally wrong though, since Arven doesn’t mention his mom in Violet, but I would assume he was still raised by one of his parents.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve caught one Ditto and it was when I made a water encounter sandwich to find a water Tauros. I caught one and then went to catch a second one for trading, but the second one was a Ditto.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I finally got the credits to roll in Violet and I had a great time. Lots of fun, was lucky to not experience many performance issues. I think we saw the beginnings of a varied quest system in Pokémon with the friend plotlines and the social link esque quests at the school. I think if we got a decent mix of side quests with their own centered plot lines in the next game we’d really be cooking with gas.

I want to start a Scarlet run and use a lot of different Pokémon this time around. My final team ended up being set by around my 12th badge, and I kind of want to vary it up a bit more next time. My final team ended up being Meowscarada, Gallade, Tinkaton, Ceruledge, Salamence, and Garganacl.

I’d like to see quests like the ones in Legends. Just have a ton of NPCs ask to find stuff for them or to show them things with good rewards behind them. I’d also like to see more with the social link aspect too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Stux posted:

yep instead of the three interesting main plots it would be fa rmore epic to have little lovely fetch questsinstead for some reason

Why not both? :confused:

The main plots are great, but after you beat the game, optional side quests are a fun way to give yourself something else to do. Tiffany in Alfornada wants to see a Tsareena use Trop Kick? Let’s go find one and we’ll get a reward of 10 Luxury Balls.

I absolutely loved the scavenger hunt for the Unown in Legends. I had a blast hunting for them all and I’d love to see more stuff like that. Give quests where you’re supposed to find something in the environment like the clue of an ancient civilization or lost or injured pokemon. You can even tell little stories with quests asking to deliver letters or items to people across the region. Or uncover mysteries about what’s making a spooky sound in an abandoned building at night. I think stuff like that is fun.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Is it possible/how early can I make a BIG BANYARD themede team and how viable would it be?

Ampharos - sheep
Tauros - bull (potentially miltank for cow)
Golduck - duck
Oinkologne - pig
Rapidash - horse
Diggersby - rabbit

Any I am missing? Mudsdale maybe?

Lechonk is a Route 1 mon, and Tauros, Mareep and Mudbray aren’t hard to find in the early game. Quaxly for duck gives you a start on the theme from the get go. Fidough and Maschiff could be good farm dogs and can be found really early as well. I haven’t seen any Bunnelby in the game so far. Grumpig is in the game too if you want to double up on pigs. Skiddo can be found around level 20-something I think. There are a lot of good options and you could fill out a team fairly early with a decent variety of types. Normal, Water, Fighting, Fire, Ground, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Fairy, and Dark.

I had a good time with a larger rotating team since it’s so easy to swap guys from the box on the fly and experience is plentiful.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, the legendaries in this game are top tier. Honestly, the designs look more like something out of Shin Megami Tensei than Pokémon. I dig them a lot. Wanna see more Pokémon designed like that. I often find legendary designs to be underwhelming with a few exceptions (Cosmog is my baby).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I miss Poke Pelago. I could just send my little guys to the playground and the hot spring and to go farm berries. It allowed me to have fully EV trained level 1 Pokémon for when I started Ultra Moon and I didn’t really have to do anything but wait.

I think I will try to make my ingame team somewhat competitive ready this time. I also managed to catch a Modest Paradox Hydreigon. When I can connect to Home, I might do that same with some of my shinies by giving them better natures. I’ve got a Luxray and a Sandaconda that might be fun to use.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey!

I'm wondering if I'm doing the gyms out of order.

I did the bug gym, then one of the Titans and one of the Team Star bases. Now I'm at the water gym and the levels of the enemy Pokemon seem high. Am I just not leveling enough, or is there another gym after bug but before water?

Yeah, if the Pokémon outside the town are higher level, you might be better off picking a different route. My first gyms were grass, electric and bug. I think I did water as my 5th gym.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would have gone all over the place with the gyms, but I was catching all these cool Pokémon and then realized I wouldn’t be able to use them because I didn’t have enough gym badges. Then I went to do more lower level gyms so I could put my higher level guys in my party. I was rearing to climb the mountain to the ice gym, but put a pause on that until I could reliably command the Pokémon I was catching on that route. I think I did ice 6th, with ghost being my final one.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Eiba posted:

Here's my solution to that which I would totally have done if I knew the structure of Paldea and I really want to try on a subsequent playthrough:

Take one team and go west. Get as far as you can, fight poo poo you should be able to, have a blast.

Then box that team, and start over with another low level team of 6 pokemon and go east.

You get to play with 12 guys, the 2nd team gets to have a lot more diversity, and you're always wildly under leveled with intense fights.

By the time your two paths meet up in the north maybe pick 3 from each team to be your final guys. Seems like it would be a fun way to keep the game challenging and use a lot of pokemon without being too much effort or too contrived a challenge.

I did something sorta similar. I went east and then came back to the main city to go west. When I saw all the low level Pokémon on the route, I ended up boxing most of my team and using new lower levelled guys. Caught a Maschiff and a Smoliv and a Nacli and rolled with those guys until they were just about on par with the ones I boxed. I just swapped guys around to always have the lowest level mons in my party with the exception of Killowattrel for Thunderwaving catches. By the time I got to the Elite Four, I had a rotating team of 13 and was just a few levels lower than the four, which kept things slightly more challenging. There were a couple moments where I was sure I’d have to refight them because Larry threw me for a loop.

My final rotating team was

Purregano the Meowscarada
Waddles the Oinkologne
Lady the Dachsbun
Georgie the Clodsire
Diego the Ceruledge
Elvis the Squawkabilly
Flora the Flamigo
Gremlin the Graffaiai
Wanda the Killowattrel
Brigid the Mabosstiff
Tina the Tinkaton
Gustav the Houndstone
Jacques the Baxcalibur

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Zuzie posted:

So many ghost types could have been rock type as well.

Sableye, Spiritomb, Golurk, Galarian Corsola, Cursola, Runerigus and now Houndstone.

I really wish Galarian Corsola and Cursola were rock type. I have no idea why they made them pure ghost.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m working on making my ingame team competitive ready. Purregano the Meowscarada has been EV trained and Hyper Trained, I just need to give him one of the 2 Adamant mints that I have. I wanna try some ranked battles when I have enough mons ready.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Looking through my mons to find more I’d like to train and it seems I caught a Timid female Vaporeon. It was an over world tera mon with 3 IVs and a move set of Surf, Ice Beam, Wish, and Curse. Swap Curse for Shadowball and it’s basically the first Vaporeon I ever trained. Vaporeon is one of my all time favourites, so I’m definitely going to use her. I’m short on special attackers anyway.

I’ve also got 2 different Mabosstiffs to train. My ingame one and a Stakeout Psychic tera one. They’re going to be a pair of very good girls.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Interesting little bit of food for thought: They've reworked the sprites for this game and actually improved the candid anatomy of the eeveelutions. So watching them move around in the overworld is actually pretty neat now. Espeon got the best of it but Jolteons legs still look a little hosed up unfortunately, still I do love watching Vaporeon swim around like a seal though. :3:

Oh yeah, the animations are pretty ace. I’m particularly fond of the sleeping animations. I could just stand around watching my sleeping Pokémon all day.

They still haven’t fixed Eelektross’s model though. I don’t like him hovering in the air. I like him with his little fins on the ground to waddle around on.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I tried out a casual battle with the Pokémon I’ve been training and wiped the floor with someone with their ingame team in the low 30’s.

Then I tried ranked and have lost 5 out of 5 battles. A couple came close, but then I got swept by normal tera Dragonites with Extremespeed twice in a row. Will I ever win a ranked battle? Unlikely, but not impossible. I’ve been brining Meowscarada, Mabosstiff, Dachsbun, and Gyarados. I’m looking to train a Vaporeon, a Hatterene, and an Iron Jugulus next.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Its one and only ability is levitate...

But its gen 5 sprite stands on its fins and waddles and hops. It’s way cuter. :colbert: I haven’t seen one out of battle though, so if it has waddle mode out of battle, I’d be satisfied with that.

I do like how Pokémon like Flamigo will either fly or stand depending on how you encountered them.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 10, 2022

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Don't get discouraged. There's a huge leap in skill from in-game battles to competitive.

Do you watch any youtubers? That's a good place to start. Wolfe Glick, Aaron Cybertron Zheng, Ray Rizzo, James Baek. There's loads of VGC content creators out there who share rental teams and talk through their thought process while playing matches.

I don’t watch YouTubers. I’ve played ranked in other gens and would win some and lose some. Hell, 5th Gen I got a few rage quits when my Cinccino would one shot their Hydreigons. That was glorious. I loved beating up big scary teams with my cute Pokémon.

I guess I just want to play against other folks at my level and have fun playing with my favourites. I thought that was what casual was for, but I don’t want to steamroll literal children with a 4 IV, steel tera, moxie Gyarados.

I was playing doubles, cause I love doubles (and really miss triples). Maybe I’ll have better luck with singles.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Golduck was a missed opportunity to have the colours reversed with evolution, so blue psyduck becomes a gold golduck, a gold golduck would have been so nice

Agreed. I caught a shiny Psyduck in Legends and put her on the team. Shiny Golduck is underwhelming comparatively. It should be gold!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Heliotropical posted:

My favorite thing about Maushold is that its evolution requirement apparently ignores the effect of an Everstone. You can't tell them to stop reproducing, they will do so anyway (well, unless you give them a bit of the B button).

Only if you get a chance to use the B button. I had mine evolve without me realizing it. I had a picnic and suddenly there were 4 of them.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

:negative:

gamefreak you already have a system set up to scale pokemon models, why are you so afraid of letting big pokemon be big...

That’s really a shame. I’m still bummed I had to leave my totem Araquanid in Ultra Moon (he was a party member!) and now I’ll probably have to leave my beeg boi Boris the Ursaluna in Legends.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

indigi posted:

you should be able to summon them to do raids with or at the union circle for battles

This is something that was sorely missing from SwoShi as well. You got all these trainer cards of people you met, and even upgraded some cards, but they don’t have any added function. Having the upgraded trainer cards should have allowed you to call that trainer into a raid battle. And your own trainer card should have been usable as your online avatar. Like, why did I have to pick a generic NPC icon as an avatar when I have a specially created card I made of my character?

Trainer cards were pretty cool, but they really could’ve been utilized more.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Ultra Sun/Moon was just a remake, I was thinking more along the lines of a full fledged sequel like what Black & White got

Agreed. I would love if they did a proper sequel again. Sequels are superior to remakes because they allow room for improvements on the original game, while still feeling like you’re playing a new game instead of the old one a second time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I got 70 premier balls for almost nothing because the game values them super-low (I guess because you acquire them for free so it can't be an endless money exploit) and that was pretty satisfying. I catch all Tera pokemon in them.

Same. They’re great for tera mons. I wish I could get stuff like Love balls for such a good deal.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I levelled up my Dachsbun a bit more and was able to do the Charizard raid with a team of 3 Sylveon. My doggy managed to avoid most uses of Hurricane, so we pulled through!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Arven getting super excited over Mabosstiff being able to open his eyes again was one of my favorite moments in the game.

Mine was ”It’s been so long since I heard that ‘woof’!”

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, not sure if you can get either of the previous evolutions in SV without breeding or trading but I do like that you can finally catch wild Raichu (aka the best Pikachu form) in Area Zero

I just caught a wild, roaming, fighting tera type Raichu on a island off Port Marinada. She has both Surf and Thunderbolt, with Perfect Special Attack IVs and is Modest to boot. I think I’m gonna have to train another Raichu.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

So now that the launch brouhaha is over, is Scarlet/Violet patched to an acceptable state or should I wait a bit more? I haven't played a single Switch pokemon game (haven't played since Black and White/ORAS really) and am thinking about getting something for the holiday season. SV or Sword and Shield will give me the most "modern/fun" experience with the most QoL features? Or should I shift completely and grab Legends Arceus instead?

Even including the game jank, ScarVio blows Sword and Shield out of the water. I beat Shield in 35 hours, while it took me 75 to get to the end credits in Violet. There are tons of cool Pokémon around to catch and the freedom of just going wherever you feel like makes you feel like this is how Pokémon games should always be. At least, that’s how I feel about it. I wouldn’t want to go back to the hallways with random encounters.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am down to mostly version exclusives and a couple trade evolutions to fill out my dex.

Managed to get a Skrelp through Wonder Trade. I also got 4 Charmanders in Luxury balls in a row. All from different people.

I’m building a nice little collection of French and German Pokémon. They go in their own box.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Man, I knew Violet would outsell Scarlet, but I didn’t think it would be nigh impossible to do paradox trades. I keep trying to use the trade codes and only ever encounter others with Violet.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Need any help filling out your dex?

I only have 12 more dex entries left to go!

Duck starters
Umbreon
Scizor
Slowking
Armarouge
Scream Tail
Slither Wing
Brute Bonnet
Flutter Mane
Koraidon

I wouldn't be opposed to anyone helping me get the last few entries.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Finally caught that wascally wabbit. I levelled up a Pelipper I caught in a raid and beat it with 3 Slowbros.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

I don't mind it for clothes but the sandwich ingredients and accoutrements (where the gently caress are the picks, again? And not being able to make a sandwich without a pick is infuriating) and battle items being spread around multiple shops that don't have the exact same inventory from place to place is god drat asinine. There's a couple "loving WHY?" things like that in the game that I wish they spent more than 5 minutes thinking about. Not being able to picnic in Area Zero? Why? Weird game limitation or some dumb thematic idea that they didn't care would be annoyingly inconvenient?

poo poo like "you can't picnic while riding Miraidon" instead of it just automatically dismounting you... I don't know if that was an idiotic decision or just a clumsy way of getting around something that kept causing errors.

In the end I'm realizing I kinda hate the sandwich game too, not so much doing the game itself as always having to track down different ingredients, and just wish there was a restaurant at an endgame location that served a menu that contained basically every power across it. Fine, don't include the shiny ones for "specialness" reasons, I kinda stopped giving a poo poo about shiny pokemon last gen anyway.

The most frustrating thing for me is when you invite other people to a raid, but forgot to turn on online mode and the game doesn’t let you back out. The game should just ask you if you want to go online instead of just searching for players that will never show up.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Had a Vaporeon outbreak, so I made a shiny sandwich and caught me a pink boy. I already have an EV trained Vaporeon in this game, but I’ve always wanted a shiny Vaporeon. He’s Jolly, but whatevs, I’ve got Modest mints for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Nice! what did you call him? I know I ask this a lot but I love hearing other people's pokemon names

I decided on Valentino! My other Vaporeon in Violet is Valencia and I have Amphritite and Triton from previous games.

Vaporeon is a longtime favourite of mine.